Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The social housing list in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

So much entitlement in one piece...

EddieN75 wrote: »
    That guy was working in Canada up to 2016. How did he manage to end up in Ireland, skip the social housing queue and end up in a luxury apartment worth €700,000 to €950,000.

I would love that question to be answered....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

So much entitlement in one piece...

And in this country.

It's astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Just want to add my opinion on this whole thing.
    Working on a site and have just finished building 50 plus state of the art apartments in dun laoghaire.
    All sold to social housing.
    People have started to move in recently.
    They are arriving in fairly modern cars, trucks arriving with brand new furniture etc.
    Mix of young and old with kids Boyfriends etc.

It's soul destroying when you see your paycheck at the end of the week to see where our taxes are going. Especially when trying to buy a home yourself and just cannot get a foot on the ladder.

Maybe everybody working in this country should just quit there jobs and join them then government will take notice of wtf is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭corner of hells

That guy was working in Canada up to 2016. How did he manage to end up in Ireland, skip the social housing queue and end up in a luxury apartment worth €700,000 to €950,000.

How do you know he was in Canada ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Says in the article that it was in the agreement the gym wasn't part of the deal so its hardly the fault of anybody else if they didn't bother to read it.

But of course Mannix Flynn won't mention that, instead he comes out with crap like "social apartheid".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭oceanman

tommybrees wrote: »
    Working on a site and have just finished building 50 plus state of the art apartments in dun laoghaire.
    They are arriving in fairly modern cars, trucks arriving with brand new furniture etc.

It's soul destroying when you see your paycheck at the end of the week to see where our taxes are going. Especially when trying to buy a home yourself and just cannot get a foot on the ladder.

Maybe everybody working in this country should just quit there jobs and join them then government will take notice of wtf is going on.
    how do you know many of those people dont have jobs? people in low paid jobs qualify for social housing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

How do you know he was in Canada ?

It was on his Twitter account, which he deleted after people drew attention to it. He was living and working in Canada and moaning about how racist they were. He's obviously got a neck like a jockey's proverbial but the story just faded away with no real answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Sorry if its been mentioned before, but the Social Housing list is secret! Tax payers get no say in who gets a free gaff, but also they don't get to know who is going to get them either.

You would have to be incredibly innocent to think that councils round the land have been doling them out impartially.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

purifol0 wrote: »
    Sorry if its been mentioned before, but the Social Housing list is secret! Tax payers get no say in who gets a free gaff, but also they don't get to know who is going to get them either.

You would have to be incredibly innocent to think that councils round the land have been doling them out impartially.

They used to be transparent. Up til at least the early 90s local newspapers would publish full lists of housing allocations, swaps and people taking over tenancies from deceased parents. I'm sure there was some behind the scenes string pulling sometimes - TDs getting involved and so on - but the actual end result was there for everyone to see.

Can you imagine if that happened now? Many new built social housing development in some areas are minority Irish. Even the stats on nationalities on the list doesn't tell the true story because so many have been granted Irish citizenship in the last 20 years.

• Advertisement

It's a farce.

And it is showing no signs of stopping.

Madness.

oceanman wrote: »
    how do you know many of those people dont have jobs? people in low paid jobs qualify for social housing too.

Majority in social housing don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

oceanman wrote: »

Exactly. I think the cut off point for Dublin environs is approx €40k to qualify for social housing. Some people are so ignorant or biased that they believe those in social housung are all in the dole.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Exactly. I think the cut off point for Dublin environs is approx €40k to qualify for social housing. Some people are so ignorant or biased that they believe those in social housung are all in the dole.

Not all no.

Just the majority.

Not all no.

Just the majority.

Any links that 50.1% are on the dole?Genuinely interested in those figures if you have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Majority in social housing don't work.

Not saying I believe or disbelieve you, but have these stats ever been published?

If this is true, it’s an almighty kick in the teeth to the taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Probably had rte fight his battle

Any links that 50.1% are on the dole?Genuinely interested in those figures if you have them.

https://rebuildingireland.ie/news/annual-summary-of-social-housing-assessments-is-published/#:~:text=Just%20over%20one-third%20of,support%20are%20unemployed%20(54.2%25)%3B

"The majority of those qualified for social housing support are unemployed (54.2%)"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Many of my mates saved for ages and have bought and are breaking their balls then doing them.up, as labour costs are insane, massive mortgages too. Then on the other hand, they are paying for free housing for all these wasters...

It's going to come to an almighty crunch on housing here eventually. The best bit is fg etc bending over backwards for those who dont vote, while alienating the young that used to vote for them and that have decades left to vote. Chickens are coming home to roost...

It's a farce.

And it is showing no signs of stopping.

Madness.

And none of the media question it...

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. But the figures are still skewed. My mother in law would be included in that list. 66 years of age, in receipt of a pension and living in social housing after working for 40 years in shops and cleaning offices etc.

Thanks for posting that stat. Now that is infuriating.

Have no issue with hard working people on a low wage availing of social housing. Similarly, when somebody is physically or cognitively incapable of work, they should have all the resources they require at their disposal.

However, people who simply opt not to work should not have the option of living on the largesse of the Irish taxpayer. It really makes of mockery of trying to live your life the right way.

Soon we'll have a right to housing.

Oh that will be fun for the taxpayer.

Thanks for that. But the figures are still skewed. My mother in law would be included in that list. 66 years of age, in receipt of a pension and living in social housing after working for 40 years in shops and cleaning offices etc.

They might be somewhat skewed, but given that those > 65 years old are only about 12-13% of the population, the cohort of people your mother in law belongs to, is relatively small.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭French Toast

Soon we'll have a right to housing.

Oh that will be fun for the taxpayer.

Couple it with an open door, no questions asked immigration policy and we'll be importing Europe's finest layabouts by the dozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭corner of hells

It was on his Twitter account, which he deleted after people drew attention to it. He was living and working in Canada and moaning about how racist they were. He's obviously got a neck like a jockey's proverbial but the story just faded away with no real answers.

Odd alright , i work in homeless services , seems strange he even satisfied HRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

And long term ill/disabled and pensioners are in social housing. It would be interesting to have actual figures to balance some of the posts here.

Hamachi wrote: »
    They might be somewhat skewed, but given that those > 65 years old are only about 12-13% of the population, the cohort of people your mother in law belongs to, is relatively small.

Would it not be better to look at the live register figures? There could be plenty of reasons why someone could be unemployed but there could be a more accurate figure of those on the live register if it were available imo.
    I'm not really sure but I'd say that someone who has studied economics or stats could provide the proper way of measuring these figures.

Graces7 wrote: »
    And long term ill/disabled and pensioners are in social housing. It would be interesting to have actual figures.

That's what I was thinking Grace.

• Advertisement

That's what I was thinking Grace.

I agree, it would be really good if an exact breakdown was provided.

But regardless I think money could be better used then renting social housing in prime locations at crazy prices

Advertisement