Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The social housing list in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Hamachi

tom1ie wrote: »
    I fully expect to have access to the state pension I am currently paying taxes towards.

You may have that expectation. It’s unlikely to be a reality 30 years from now. I suggest you max out your personal contributions and top up with AVCs to set yourself up regardless.

Things change as you get older and you want life to slow down

I don’t know what you do for a living, but for many people these days, their careers rely on intellectual horse power and not brute force. There’s no reason why many people can’t continue working later in life.

In fact, working in an intellectually challenging position is known to increase neuro-plasticity, one of the key components in warding off cognitive decline, including dementia. There’s a history of that God-awful condition in my family. I’m sure you agree that anything that is protective against the ravages of Alzheimer’s disease, is worth pursuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭enricoh

Loads more is acceptable. We still haven't reached the 1841 high and our population density is well below the European average. The more merrier IMO - particularly if they're young or have children, they'll pay for my pension.

They can't even pay their rent now, but they'll pay for our pensions apparently! Keep em coming!

https://m.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-quinn/huge-scale-of-immigration-is-making-our-housing-crisis-worse-35498057.html

Last year, I decided to ask the Department of Social Protection what percentage of rent supplement was paid out to non-Irish EU nationals, and non-EU nationals.

As at February of last year, the figure was 35pc. This is a remarkable total. Remember, 17pc of the population is "foreign-born", so immigrants are over-represented in the figures by two to one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Hamachi wrote: »
    I don’t know what you do for a living, but for many people these days, their careers rely on intellectual horse power and not brute force. There’s no reason why many people can’t continue working later in life.

In fact, working in an intellectually challenging position is known to increase neuro-plasticity, one of the key components in warding off cognitive decline, including dementia. There’s a history of that God-awful condition in my family. I’m sure you agree that anything that is protective against the ravages of Alzheimer’s disease, is worth pursuing.

I'd like to bask in your reflected glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Jizique

enricoh wrote: »
    They can't even pay their rent now, but they'll pay for our pensions apparently! Keep em coming!

https://m.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-quinn/huge-scale-of-immigration-is-making-our-housing-crisis-worse-35498057.html

Last year, I decided to ask the Department of Social Protection what percentage of rent supplement was paid out to non-Irish EU nationals, and non-EU nationals.

As at February of last year, the figure was 35pc. This is a remarkable total. Remember, 17pc of the population is "foreign-born", so immigrants are over-represented in the figures by two to one.

Did you get a split between the two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭donaghs

Do all the other European countries with higher population density than Ireland have people living in small huts and trying to make a living from small holdings?

That's exactly what we do.

Ok. But to what end to end do you want this?

The point is, an 8 million+ Irish population WONT be dispersed across the countryside like in 1840. It will be in an Amsterdam/Rotterdam (or Greater London) -style conurbation on the east coast of Ireland. What’s the benefit of doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

ek motor wrote: »
    Why have the people of Ireland and indeed every European country not been offered a democratic vote on the mass immigration that has happened over the past 20 years? Why have people not been asked 'Are you happy or unhappy with the massive demographic change occurring in your town/village/city ?' 'Are you happy with the increased pressure on schools housing and health care? '

No one asked for mass immigration to Europe , so why has it been pushed so hard by certain quarters ?

Why does anyone who speaks out against face such vehement ostracising and character assassination for saying what most people think ?

Who are the people who promote this and why ?

Back in 2016, just about everybody I knew who voted for brexit used immigration as an excuse for voting for it. So, you could say that indirectly at least this was just such a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

tom1ie wrote: »
    I, like yourself, am in my late 30's. I have a dB pension but it has the assumption built into the pension that the state pension will contribute towards my weekly pension amount.

I fully expect to have access to the state pension I am currently paying taxes towards.

Your taxes are not paying for whatever "pension ' the state feels like paying you in a few decades.

Your taxes today go towards the current collector's of the state pension

Those who have probably not yet even finished school will be paying for your future state pension ( if it exists at that stage)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

LarryBird wrote: »
    It will exist but if you have a private pension you won't be getting it.

Making an unequivocal prediction like this is absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,383 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Why are foreign born people on the housing list in the first place?

If they can't make a go of it in this country and support themselves for whatever reason then they need to go home.

• Advertisement

If they can't make a go of it in this country and support themselves for whatever reason then they need to go home.

I'm foreign born. I'm also Irish. I have also lived in this country most of my life. I also work and pay taxes for the last 30 years.
    If I get sick tomorrow and can't work, what do you suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

What if someone is here and paying taxes for years but loses their job through no fault of their own?

Or what about carers being paid terrible money to wipe people's arses because no Irish person will take the job?

Or what about British people who have full entitlement to reside in Ireland and effectively be treated the same as Irish people and do the same for Irish in Britain?

What if someone is here and paying taxes for years but loses their job through no fault of their own?

Or what about carers being paid terrible money to wipe people's arses because no Irish person will take the job?

Or what about British people who have full entitlement to reside in Ireland and effectively be treated the same as Irish people and do the same for Irish in Britain?

I have no issue with people who have legitimately contributed over a sustained period of time, accessing social support. I do have a problem with those who have never or contributed minimally, taking advantage of those supports.

I take exception to your comments about carers ‘wiping peoples’ arses’. I have an extremely close family member in a long term residential setting in an urban area. At least half my relative’s carers are Irish; they do a tremendous job supporting physically and cognitively impaired older citizens, requiring a skill set far beyond your ignorant description of their work.

At least have some rudimentary knowledge of a sector, if you are trying to leverage it to further an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

bubblypop wrote: »
    I'm foreign born. I'm also Irish. I have also lived in this country most of my life. I also work and pay taxes for the last 30 years.
    If I get sick tomorrow and can't work, what do you suggest?

Most people believe a time-dependent right to public funds would be fairest. Of course people who have contributed for a number of years should have the right to access benefits. The Polish woman whose story I linked to being given her subsidised forever home - she had gone on the housing list the minute she arrived here. That's very wrong and if you tried that in a country like Germany you would be told to hop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Yeah it's almost like ready access to cheap imported labour drives down wages.

Oddly enough, the Aussies found out that once they locked the country down to foreign travel their wages went up, wonder why that was? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

LarryBird wrote: »
    It will exist but if you have a private pension you won't be getting it.

I have a dB pension that I must pay into as a requirement of employment, but due to a restructure of the pension by the company I work for, a chunk of what i will get will be made up by the state pension.
    So are you saying the company is telling me incorrect information?
    Could you also provide a link to where it states I won't be in receipt of the state pension if I have a private pension?
    Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭DerekC16

Bull****. There are plenty of Irish people doing those jobs and doing them long before the foreign hordes arrived.

DerekC16 wrote: »
    Bull****. There are plenty of Irish people doing those jobs and doing them long before the foreign hordes arrived.

Indeed. His description of this crucial work is particularly ignorant and offensive. I have nothing, but respect, for the Irish and non-Irish people who provide care.

The only point on which I do concur is that folks working in that sector are fully entitled to access social support. They are true contributors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The system probably could do with a shakeup, but you are deluded if you think there is an endless supply of Irish people lining up to do low-paid care work.

That the issue with a lot of posters they are completely illogical.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Isn't there already enough disenfranchised youth in poor areas that are probably doomed to benefits for their whole lives.
    Why do people think we to import need more?

Social housing is imperative, but the country can't be all social housing and not enough people to pay for it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

There isn't any political will to change social housing in Ireland. Every so often its raised but ultimately stays the same, with lists and demands growing.

mariaalice wrote: »
    The system probably could do with a shakeup, but you are deluded if you think there is an endless supply of Irish people lining up to do low-paid care work.

There is a reason for the stagnation of wages. Pay people a fare rate and they'll do any job.

To have 10-15% foreigners on the social housing list is probably normal around EU but 35-50% stated in the OP?

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/herald/news/over-half-on-housing-list-are-foreign-27973856.html
    For the first time, more than half those on the waiting list for social housing in Fingal County Council are non-Irish nationals.
    A third are from outside the EU," Fine Gael's Kieran Dennison said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

biko wrote: »
    To have 10-15% foreigners on the social housing list is probably normal around EU but 35-50% stated in the OP?

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/herald/news/over-half-on-housing-list-are-foreign-27973856.html

The elephant in the room

And its ten years since we've had figures from Fingal. Probably up around 70% at this stage out there if it was 50% a decade ago. That is shocking.

According to that other poster, only half the carers of his family member are Irish. You’d think it’d be more if there’s loads of Irish people willing to do the job. I mean like I know you anti-immigrant lot ignore any inconvenient data but it’s quite amazing to see one of you make the point for me:
    Hamachi wrote: »
    … At least half my relative’s carers are Irish …

I’m also really loving the crocodile tears and faux outrage over the accuracy description of part of the vital job that these people do. :D Keep it up lads, it’s great for a laugh.

mariaalice wrote: »

I agree. It’s completely illogical to suggest that there are no Irish people providing care to our senior citizens. I also agree that it’s entirely deluded to reduce that most vital role to ‘wiping people’s arses’.

You seem to perceive yourself as somebody capable of following a thread of logic. If that’s the case, I’m sure you’re capable of understanding that there isn’t an endless stream of anybody (Irish or non-Irish) signing up to take on such tough and emotionally draining work. However, if you compensate folks appropriately for their efforts, there will always be a sufficient pool of candidates.

According to that other poster, only half the carers of his family member are Irish.
    How did people manage before immigrants did these jobs?
    Did only half the restaurant dishes get done? Only half the offices get cleaned? Only half of old people get care?

According to that other poster, only half the carers of his family member are Irish. You’d think it’d be more if there’s loads of Irish people willing to do the job. I mean like I know you anti-immigrant lot ignore any inconvenient data but it’s quite amazing to see one of you make the point for me:

I’m also really loving the crocodile tears and faux outrage over the accuracy description of part of the vital job that these people do. :D Keep it up lads, it’s great for a laugh.

Anybody reading this thread sees you for what you are.

• Advertisement

How did people manage before immigrants did these jobs?
    Did only half the restaurant dishes get done? Only half the offices get cleaned? Only half of old people get care?

How the feck would I know? All I’m saying is don’t throw the people who are currently doing these jobs out of the country like that Galway poster suggested.

Advertisement