Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭NSAman

hynesie08 wrote: »

So in other words 2 deaths in APRIL so far (terrible for those families involved) but why increase the death figure from past months... this is scaremongering

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

hynesie08 wrote: »

The method of reporting deaths needs to change in Ireland. I know at the start of covid they said they were going to look at shortening it but we're constantly reporting numbers now from a few months ago.

The 3 month time frame needs to be shorter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

NSAman wrote: »
    So in other words 2 deaths in APRIL so far (terrible for those families involved) but why increase the death figure from past months... this is scaremongering

Why are you asking the question if you know the your answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No, it's just how the law works, up to 3 months to report a death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Eh, because those people actually died! They aren’t making up deaths and surely you know at this stage that families have 3 months to register a death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

It's official record keeping and very necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The method of reporting deaths needs to change in Ireland. I know at the start of covid they said they were going to look at shortening it but we're constantly reporting numbers now from a few months ago.

I completely agree, I'm very curious as to how you can bury someone who died on a Monday on a Friday but not register their death for 90 days, seems arse backwards to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,989 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Time to open up and save the summer, vaccines are clearly working.

is_that_so wrote: »
    No, it's just how the law works, up to 3 months to report a death.
    Ger Roe wrote: »

I have no problem with official record keeping. It seems extremely weird to infer todays death toll is 15, when in fact it isn’t.

I am not in any way diminishing the loss those families have suffered, but to me it seems as if this is scaremongering.

Surely figures should be clear and unambiguous.

• Advertisement

Agreed

Pretty sure we got reports December or earlier this month

That's a very long time for reporting the death

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Ger Roe wrote: »

No one's disputing that they shouldn't be recorded and of course it's very necessary.

It's how it's reported in the media that is the problem. It's a headline figure every day and lots of papers and sources don't actually give a more detailed breakdown, including the Irish Times, and it's sometimes devilishly hard to find in those that do.

It's better now that some are obviously highlighting it immediately on a daily basis.

I have no problem with official record keeping. It seems extremely weird to infer todays death toll is 15, when in fact it isn’t.

I am not in any way diminishing the loss those families have suffered, but to me it seems as if this is scaremongering.

Surely figures should be clear and unambiguous.

Did you say the same on Monday when announced deaths were zero?

The correct number of deaths are being reported so for every one ‘over reported’ today, one was ‘under reported’ on another day.

Benimar wrote: »
    Did you say the same on Monday when announced deaths were zero?

The correct number of deaths are being reported so for every one ‘over reported’ today, one was ‘under reported’ on another day.

Forgive me for saying something which is obvious.

It is not the figure I am questioning, it is how it is reported.

So if Monday was zero and they reported 10 previous deaths the figure for Monday would still be zero and not 10.

I saw this report earlier on a break and thought it was disingenuous to report 15 deaths today. Lead me to believe 15 deaths in Ireland today. It wasn’t until I read more that I realised it was 2 from April.

As I said and continue to say, doesn’t diminish anyone’s loss if a loved one, but I wish they would be clear about these figures.

Of course I am worried about this with family living in Ireland..worrying about them constantly....seeing figures with deaths this high..gets me wondering if the virus is becoming more virulent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭pauldry

So if Monday was zero and they reported 10 previous deaths the figure for Monday would still be zero and not 10.

I saw this report earlier on a break and thought it was disingenuous to report 15 deaths today. Lead me to believe 15 deaths in Ireland today. It wasn’t until I read more that I realised it was 2 from April.

As I said and continue to say, doesn’t diminish anyone’s loss if a loved one, but I wish they would be clear about these figures.

Of course I am worried about this with family living in Ireland..worrying about them constantly....seeing figures with deaths this high..gets me wondering if the virus is becoming more virulent.

There are actually probably 5000 deaths now in total but we wont have them all counted until August.

But what if there were, say, 5 deaths on Monday but zero was announced? Is it disingenuous to say deaths were zero, or does it only apply when announced deaths are higher?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Any rise in numbers is scary esp with Dr Tony back at the helm and Leo basically telling us 'they have to get NPHETs approval to reopen further

Threadbanned, you have been warned about this sort of trolling before

Benimar wrote: »
    But what if there were, say, 5 deaths on Monday but zero was announced? Is it disingenuous to say deaths were zero, or does it only apply when announced deaths are higher?

I get what you are saying, but that seems to be a fault in the death reporting timeframe. That obviously needs to be shortened.

I know when my father died, his death was reported that same day. I honestly don’t know (or didn’t care) at the time what happened to that information at the time.

Some are saying it is three months to report a death. That to me is a crazy timeframe.

I am not here to cause issues with anyone, but the reporting of this is causing (or has caused me personally) to worry, needlessly so.

I suppose glancing at a headline and actually reading something when you have more time is vital nowadays.

Lesson learned here.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

In terms of the spread of the virus, deaths which occurred in the last 7 or 14 days are relevant to that statistic. A death which occurred in January is meaningless for the purposes of planning how to get out of lockdown. How about reporting "2 deaths* and 401 cases....*a further x amount of deaths were notified in Jan/Feb...".

We are seeing low single figures of deaths consistently for a while now, due to vaccinations. Headline figures are misleading imo.

I'm not trying to downplay the loss of life, they should of course be counted in the death toll. It's the reporting of the numbers which is what I think should be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭techdiver

I've just become more and more angry when I think of how this all has been handled. Without doubt covid is a terrible and dangerous virus that had the potential to kill numerous at risk people but we have thrown the baby out with the bath water. We have pretty much either abandoned or stripped to the bone any other form of preventive health care. Cancer screening is one example that will have repercussion for years to come. Another example is gutting mental health services especially for children. For example, early intervention teams for children with autism have been reassigned to covid swab taking since last year. This means no treatment or services for those children. This especially becomes a serious issue as children approach school age and parents require a place in an ASD class for their child.

Firstly putting aside the gross under investment and availability of places in schools there is a further hurdle that must be jumped. The child must be clinically diagnosed with ASD on order to even have their application entertained by a school. But since the psychologists who provide these services are reassigned to covid swabbing there is no means of obtaining a diagnosis. Only those of us privileged enough to be able to afford a private diagnosis can gain one.

Why are qualified psychologists taking covid swabs? Could the HSE not hire people to perform this simple task? This is just one example of the ridiculous way this has all been handled. Why was cancer screening ever curtailed? This should have been maintained. In patient wards that house covid patients are not in the same part of a hospital as out patient clinics?

We will reap the result of this for years to come due to the tunnel vision towards one issue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Just speaking anecdotally, based on what I'm hearing from friends of mine and family, a lot of people are developing hay fever at the moment due to blossoming plants and that's causing coughs and people seeing COVID-19 tests.

So, I don't know if that's feeding into spikes in numbers of swabs, but it would seem possible.

Most people are taking no chances if they develop a cough, whereas normally they'd ignore it.

I usually get hay fever quite bad in April / May - The looks you get if you get a coughing or sneezing fit from it.

Im thinking of getting t-shirts and badges made up saying "Its Hay Fever not Covid - Nothing to see here!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭oceanman

exitfee wrote: »
    100%

Nothing to fear now, no chance things can get that bad again

Outdoor dining and pints need to open after May bank holiday and gyms soon after
    cant see the government going for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Normal One wrote: »
    In terms of the spread of the virus, deaths which occurred in the last 7 or 14 days are relevant to that statistic. A death which occurred in January is meaningless for the purposes of planning how to get out of lockdown. How about reporting "2 deaths* and 401 cases....*a further x amount of deaths were notified in Jan/Feb...".

We are seeing low single figures of deaths consistently for a while now, due to vaccinations. Headline figures are misleading imo.

I'm not trying to downplay the loss of life, they should of course be counted in the day toll. It's the reporting of the numbers which is what I think should be changed.

I agree with this too. I don't have a problem with the excess deaths from months previous being reported of course but it should be categorised differently. It of course doesn't mean that any death is more or less important than another.

There should be a window which is specific to the daily numbers, and then outside of that the figures reported from previous months etc.

Instead of '17 deaths, 401 cases' it would be.

'2 deaths, 401 cases'

'15 deaths also occurred in March, February and January'

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Pharmacists asking questions about vaccinations again.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2021/0421/1211263-vaccines-pharmacy-covid/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭saabsaab

oceanman wrote: »
    cant see the government going for that...

Agree. The Government will wait until the majority of the country is vaccinated before any major reopening. Rightly too.

Interesting breakdown of the deaths reported in April

https://twitter.com/RiochtConor2/status/1384912792462020610

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Eod100 wrote:
    Interesting move.

No problem with that. The more extra vaccines the better all round.

Eod100 wrote: »

Yeah have a friend in Pfizer Cork

His wife will be getting it

If it's independent of other supplies then that great news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Eod100 wrote: »

So if its independent of the government imports, but is counted anyway, we could have a week with an efficiency of over 100%.......fantastic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement