Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

is_that_so wrote: »
    It is incredibly rare but in a viral primordial soup like Brazil anything can happen!

This is borderline xenophobia, EU has similar infection rates to Brazil.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭greyday

snotboogie wrote: »
    I thought the conclusion a number of months ago was that the virus had nowhere else to go beyond the Brazilian and South African variants without reducing transmisibility? Any further changes that would evade vaccines would reduce the effectiveness of the spread. Would explain why we haven't seen a new varient of concern spread widely since December.

Lots of theories were put forward a number of months ago that are no longer valid, the virus wants to survive and will evolve very fast in order to do so, the longer we take to vaccinate the world the greater the chance it evolves into something which the vaccines are no longer effective for.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Any hospital numbers released?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

Vicxas wrote: »
    Any hospital numbers released?

you don't have to wait on the news, just use the COVID dashboard that the news use anyway...

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

DaSilva wrote: »
    In your head it is. You really might want to read the post carefully and reflect on where this absurd idea grew in your head. It is not untrue that a lack of control is at the root of it and that it happens to be in Brazil. There's also some of that in India, unfortunately.

• Advertisement

True, it does increase the risk of new variants, although USA was doing similar numbers a few months ago.

Pure speculation, not a guarantee.

There is some chance, there are not an infinite number of viable mutations in the spike protein. There is no guarantee or evidence that there exists some other form of the spike protein that presents itself as being completely different to the immune system that is still functional. It might exist, but so far, despite millions of infections it has so far not been observed. Lets get some rational thinking going here, its theoretically possible, nothing more.

Who spoke of guarantees?
    The post was about the chances of a new variant emerging which was resistant to current vaccines due to the number of infections India is currently seeing, no where in the post did it say this was definitely going to happen, the post stated the chances of it happening were increased due to the level of infections, you do know that everything is speculation until it happens? Yes?

couple of variables left out though with that statement

EU has a far more rigorous testing regime than Brazil... so if you're looking for it you'll find it....

Brazil's numbers are mostly from people who are being tested after presenting as unwell (edit: or close contact of someone who is/was), or trying to access a quarantined area...

similar numbers, yes.... similar circumstances, definitely not...

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

5,800 out of 200,000,000 vaccines administrated which equates to 0.0029%

The vaccines are the silver bullet going by those numbers to me, I'm not sure you are considering the vast population of the U.S. and the vast nimbler of vaccines administered there, 0.0029% is a miniscule number

I absolutely do accept that it's a small %
    The 5800 is of 78million fully vaccinated people which works out at 0.0074%
    My point is that the virus will not be fully eradicated and I fear some people think it will be.
    It'll likely be around in some form, like the flu.

Absolutely, vaccinate the elderly and vulnerable, it will help their chances significantly. But improving treatment is neccessary rather than telling people to stay at home until they need to be hospitalised.
    And fortunately for most, it still seems to be relatively harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭celt262

arccosh wrote: »
    you don't have to wait on the news, just use the COVID dashboard that the news use anyway...

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

Silly questions to be asking but is the hospital numbers the total in hospital as in do they include the ICU numbers?

In your head it is. You really might want to read the post carefully and reflect on where this absurd idea grew in your head. It is not untrue that a lack of control that is at the root of it and that happens to be in Brazil. There's also some of that in India unfortunately.

By your logic and the stats then the EU and USA are even bigger primordial soups than both India and Brazil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

My point is that the virus will not be fully eradicated and I fear some people think it will be.

Agreed there alright!

By your logic and the stats then the EU and USA are even bigger primordial soups than both India and Brazil

No, they are not!
    The EU and USA do a hell of a lot more testing than Brazil or India, the case numbers in Brazil and India are the tip of the iceberg, pure speculation in your language but fact in most other languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I absolutely do accept that it's a small %
    The 5800 is of 78million fully vaccinated people which works out at 0.0074%

Absolutely, vaccinate the elderly and vulnerable, it will help their chances significantly. But improving treatment is neccessary rather than telling people to stay at home until they need to be hospitalised.
    And fortunately for most, it still seems to be relatively harmless.

What do you mean by vaccinate the elderly and vulnerable? Are you saying we shouldn't vaccinate others?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭thebiglad

celt262 wrote: »
    Silly questions to be asking but is the hospital numbers the total in hospital as in do they include the ICU numbers?

Yes, total count of patients in hospital includes those is ICU, not in addition to.

What do you mean by vaccinate the elderly and vulnerable? Are you saying we shouldn't vaccinate others?

The point is possibly that once the elderly and vulnerable are vaccinated that we should look at a faster re-opening of the economy while continuing to vaccinate the rest of the population as quickly as possible, there are pro and cons to this strategy with both sides having relevant points.

greyday wrote: »
    No, they are not!
    The EU and USA do a hell of a lot more testing than Brazil or India, the case numbers in Brazil and India are the tip of the iceberg, pure speculation in your language but fact in most other languages.

You have 0 evidence that there are fewer cases in the EU than Brazil. I don't dispute that testing coverage is greater in the EU than in Brazil, but cases and death counts are a similar ratio in Brazil to the EU. Even if we consider that Brazil is younger and testing less, its still a large gap to cross to completely double the numbers. It's still likely the EU has had more cases.

It's never a good idea to try to make stats tell a story you want to see. This is your logic not mine, but in both countries it is currently out of control. That is not the case in the EU or US, even if stats have numbers high. As has been pointed out to you it's being picked up through far better testing programmes.

[PHP][/PHP]
    celt262 wrote: »

It's the overall number including ICU as far as I'm aware, not the ICU number added to it after.

Oh, now you involve yourself in speculation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

I'm still on the fence so I can't say either way.

Personally, I'm young and healthy so I'm way down the priority list.
    When the time comes I'll review the data and decide what to do.

I think it's for people to decide what level of risk is acceptable to them.
    I'd accept the risk of catching covid at present, but I'm not mixing with anyone.
    I have older family members who've had it and I'm glad they did.

• Advertisement

It's never a good idea to try to make stats tell a story you want to see. This is your logic not mine, but in both countries it is currently out of control. That is not the case in the EU or US, even if stats have numbers high. As has been pointed out to you it's being picked up through far better testing programmes.

If you want to convince yourself that the EU and USA's case numbers suggest we have had the virus under control, then you are welcome to deceive yourself, I won't try to convince you otherwise

I'm in that camp too. Get the vulnerable protected and re-open society as fast as possible. Thankfully the government is going down that route too.

You have 0 evidence that there are fewer cases in the EU than Brazil. I don't dispute that testing coverage is greater in the EU than in Brazil, but cases and death counts are a similar ratio in Brazil to the EU. Even if we consider that Brazil is younger and testing less, its still a large gap to cross to completely double the numbers. It's still likely the EU has had more cases.
    Are you defending how Brazil have gone about this? Lest you imagine another slight against your country there is a long list of countries who have not handled this well at times, including ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

Tested positive with no symptoms whatsoever a few months ago. I won't be taking the vacine.

My body my choice.

From testing positive with no symptoms whatsoever I won't be taking the vacinne.

My body my choice.

Up to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭saabsaab

If you want to convince yourself that the EU and USA's case numbers suggest we have had the virus under control, then you are welcome to deceive yourself, I won't try to convince you otherwise
    No, I just made a comment about the situation in Brazil and off you went down a rabbit hole with stats, the EU and whatnot.

Are you defending how Brazil have gone about this? Lest you imagine another slight against your country there is a long list of countries who have not handled this well at times, including ourselves.

I haven't said a single thing about Brazil's covid strategy.
    And let me be really clear, my username is just an internet username
    I literally have 0 connection to Brazil in real life, never been there, no family from there. I am an Irish speaking native who plays traditional Irish music, its just a profile name :pac:

The real difference is not that I am sensitive to slights against my country, it's that I'm not prone to misinterpreting facts to find a scapegoat like you are.

And let me be really clear, my username is just an internet username

I'm a really funny dog in real life though!

• Advertisement

It's still likely the EU has had more cases.

being over double the population of Brazil, that an obvious statement to make

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement