Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Yeah have a friend in Pfizer Cork

His wife will be getting it

If it's independent of other supplies then that great news

It is. Thousands vaccinated and not needing it from states scheme, think its a win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Yeah have a friend in Pfizer Cork

His wife will be getting it

If it's independent of other supplies then that great news

There’s more of it now.
    It’s all about who you know..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Has anyone followed Kansas the last few weeks? How are they getting on with all restrictions lifted and no masks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Normal One wrote: »
    How about reporting "2 deaths* and 401 cases....*a further x amount of deaths were notified in Jan/Feb...".

I'm not trying to downplay the loss of life, they should of course be counted in the death toll. It's the reporting of the numbers which is what I think should be changed.

Understand the issue here, but the 3 month window is the issue, not the reporting.

If they say 2 deaths today, and 18 earlier (which they do kind of say), that two gives a false impression in the other direction.

There is a twitter user constantly replying to all journalists giving out about it. Out of interest, I went back a month when he was giving out, saying that there really was only 6 deaths, plus more reported from previous months. The number for that day, by date-of-death, is now 13. I think there were 30 reported on the day in the news, 6 recent and 24 'historic'. Either way, it's all mess.

So reporting isn't the issue, the window is. While NPHET/Govt use death figures for enacting restrictions, they don't use them in isolation nor do they source them via the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Understand the issue here, but the 3 month window is the issue, not the reporting.

If they say 2 deaths today, and 18 earlier (which they do kind of say), that two gives a false impression in the other direction.

There is a twitter user constantly replying to all journalists giving out about it. Out of interest, I went back a month when he was giving out, saying that there really was only 6 deaths, plus more reported from previous months. The number for that day, by date-of-death, is now 13. I think there were 30 reported on the day in the news, 6 recent and 24 'historic'. Either way, it's all mess.

So reporting isn't the issue, the window is. While NPHET/Govt use death figures for enacting restrictions, they don't use them in isolation nor do they source them via the news.

I don't see how it gives a false impression the other way.
    But as you said, they do kind of say that but why not make it more clearer. Why not just report deaths within a window and then deaths outside that window? I've no problem with the window at all but I just think there's a better way of doing it reporting wise. Cases have a specific window daily, deaths should have too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

There’s more of it now.
    It’s all about who you know..
    They should be giving it to the local community at large and not just keeping it for their employees.

If they have it to spare, why not vaccinate everyone in the area. Supermarket workers and other essential services.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭hynesie08

They should be giving it to the local community at large and not just keeping it for their employees.

If they have it to spare, why not vaccinate everyone in the area. Supermarket workers and other essential services.

Because vaccinating the local post office does the sun total of **** all for pfizer. Vaccinate your employees and their families means covid free bubbles, which means you can distribute the vaccine without fear of staff shortages..

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

It was a little tongue in cheek begrudgary joke only.
    I think Pfizer employees have a fair amount of goodwill going their way from all at the moment 👍.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Corholio wrote: »
    I don't see how it gives a false impression the other way.
    But as you said, they do kind of say that but why not make it more clearer. Why not just report deaths within a window and then deaths outside that window? I've no problem with the window at all but I just think there's a better way of doing it reporting wise. Cases have a specific window daily, deaths should have too.

I'm guessing none so blind as those who will not see applies here.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Because vaccinating the local post office does the sun total of **** all for pfizer. Vaccinate your employees and their families means covid free bubbles, which means you can distribute the vaccine without fear of staff shortages..

Staff with no roll in production and distribution of vaccines?

For what it is worth, I'm delighted for the staff and everybody vaccinated is a step further, I wonder will they be paying their benefit in kind tax. How much would the relief of your whole family vaccinated be worth :p

• Advertisement

You mean like AZ doing it at cost price, how is that working out? Pfizer are reliably doing what they agreed to do.

hynesie08 wrote: »

Do Pfizer not use the postal service and do their employees not eat food? Incredible that they've come this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Be interesting to see if Pfizer staff and family jabs will get added onto the overall vaccine figures.
    4k employees plus immediate family will add up to a fair amount of people, maybe circa 15k at conservative guesstimate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Hospital operations update

In hospital 172 (no change)
    In ICU 47 (no change but 1 death)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭Azatadine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Do Pfizer not use the postal service and do their employees not eat food? Incredible that they've come this far.

There post is sorted at the national sorting centre before it gets to the local post office. The food comes from distribution centres before hitting the local delis and shops, do they need to vaccinate these people too - where does this logic stop, how far up the chain do you want to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A family is suing the State over a COVID death in hospital. Very few details on it.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0421/1211311-covid-case/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Be interesting to see if Pfizer staff and family jabs will get added onto the overall vaccine figures.
    4k employees plus immediate family will add up to a fair amount of people, maybe circa 15k at conservative guesstimate?

They are only giving it to people who fit the government schedule - so over 60’s at the moment. 15,000 sounds reasonable by not all immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

is_that_so wrote: »
    A family is suing the State over a COVID death in hospital. Very few details on it.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0421/1211311-covid-case/

Would love more clarification alright. There must be a story they're suing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

310,000 cases detected in India yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭fits

techdiver wrote: »
    I. For example, early intervention teams for children with autism have been reassigned to covid swab taking since last year. This means no treatment or services for those children. This especially becomes a serious issue as children approach school age and parents require a place in an ASD class for their child.

Is this still happening? All therapists in my area are back at their primary posts. It’s all being reorganised at the moment though so everything is up in a heap for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭prunudo

310,000 cases detected in India yesterday

Equivalent to us getting approx 1200 cases in a day.
    Not denying India aren't in good shape at the moment but they have a massive population so it stands to reason they'll have case numbers which on the face of it sound high.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    They are only giving it to people who fit the government schedule - so over 60’s at the moment. 15,000 sounds reasonable by not all immediately.
    Oh right, my understanding was that if you worked for them, you get a golden ticket, no matter your age or health status.

That's completely different, and also fair enough and sound of them to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Van.Bosch wrote: »

No they're not. The scheme will prioritise along the same lines of the national roll-out. That is not the same as following the government timeline.
    I've no issues with them doing it, but let's stick to the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Oh right, my understanding was that if you worked for them, you get a golden ticket, no matter your age or health status.

That's completely different, and also fair enough and sound of them to do.

I know plenty of people who are in the 20s to 40s range in the newbridge plant who got the vaccine in February

mightyreds wrote: »
    I know plenty of people who are in the 20s to 40s range in the newbridge plant who got the vaccine in February
    Working in a pharma plant suggests that you are very much a key worker and should be vaccinated and it did not affect our supplies.

My uncle retired early from HSE two years ago and he rocked up to his old office and got vaccinated in early April outside of the government schedule.

It really is who you know and screw the rest. Ireland seems to have been revealed as country full of liars and charlatans who will climb over each other to guard themselves.

Not that being vaccinated really confers any tangible benefit with the whole country closed.

Interesting case in a family of one of my wife's old work mates

1 year old baby got symptoms and was tested and found positive for covid. Child was ill with cough and temp for a few days but recovered grand.
    No one in the family tested positive. There were no cases in the creche and no one in the creche tested positive due to contact tracing. The older sibling was in preschool and there have been no recorded cases there. One of the parents WFH full time and the other part time, but there have been no cases in their work either. The family do nearly all their shopping online and have not had any visitors or visiting anyone. They are perplexed as to how the baby caught it

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

My uncle retired early from HSE two years ago and he rocked up to his old office and got vaccinated in early April outside of the government schedule.

It really is who you know and screw the rest. Ireland seems to have been revealed as country full of liars and charlatans who will climb over each other to guard themselves.

Not that being vaccinated really confers any tangible benefit with the whole country closed.

Im sure Ireland is pretty much the same as every other country when it comes to various queue jumpers - its not really fair to single us out. There are news stories from at least 4 other countries bemoaning the same thing that I have come across without really looking.

• Advertisement

It's also true there is outrage under every stone if you go looking for it. Our date with the needle will come when it does. Until then it's far better to celebrate people getting their shots because it helps us all. Has this relative been asked to do any work for the HSE in any capacity?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement