Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

arccosh wrote: »
    being over double the population of Brazil, that an obvious statement to make

Considering that the discussion was over Brazil being characterized as a breeding ground for variants while the EU is not, it seems its that the EU having a higher number of infections and it's implications is not obvious to some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

DaSilva wrote: »
    I haven't said a single thing about Brazil's covid strategy.
    And let me be really clear, my username is just an internet username
    I literally have 0 connection to Brazil in real life, never been there, no family from there. I am an Irish speaking native who plays traditional Irish music, its just a profile name :pac:

The real difference is not that I am sensitive to slights against my country, it's that I'm not prone to misinterpreting facts to find a scapegoat like you are.
    Prone to not reading posts properly is a more accurate description. As with most of your comments on this it is your own (wilful?) misinterpretation of my posts about the Brazilian situation that has you off on this very strange path. Anyway I wish you a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭crossman47

Less people died in 2020 than an average year

You are wrong. CSO have released data for the first three quarters of 2020 and these show deaths 760 above the equivalent 2019 number.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭greyday

High population Countries where people find it near on impossible to self isolate/quarantine are obviously higher risk or introducing variants than lets say "Ireland", Brazil and India are two such Countries, The EU and USA are not so much, c'mon Dasilva even you can understand that level of speculation?
    To put it another way, 1 million people in Brazil get covid 19 tomorrow and the majority cannot self isolate, 3 million people in the EU get covid 19 tomorrow and the vast majority can self isolate, could you speculate which is the most likely to produce variants over time if this level of infections continue for a period?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Considering that the discussion was over Brazil being characterized as a breeding ground for variants while the EU is not, it seems its that the EU having a higher number of infections and it's implications is not obvious to some people.
    No, Brazil was characterized as a location where there is such a lack of control there might be multiple variants so the concept of people being allegedly reinfected would not be surprising. You brought in that comparative stats stuff.

• Advertisement

crossman47 wrote: »
    You are wrong. CSO have released data for the first three quarters of 2020 and these show deaths 760 above the equivalent 2019 number.

Maybe 2019 was not an average year, he is still wrong but you can't just pick the previous year to prove that :)

greyday wrote: »
    could you speculate which is the most likely to produce variants over time if this level of infections continue for a period?

Easy answer, the area with the highest number of viral replications is the more likely source for new variants. The more cases the more viral replications. If we look at current stats, so far the EU, has had more cases and so more replications and therefore more likely to have given rise to variants. If Europe's epidemic suddenly ended and Brazil's kept going unchecked, this might reverse, but so far its not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭crossman47

Maybe 2019 was not an average year, he is still wrong but you can't just pick the previous year to prove that :)

OK but these never vary much except when you get the likes of Covid. The 2018 figure was about 200 below 2019.

Easy answer, the area with the highest number of viral replications is the more likely source for new variants. The more cases the more viral replications. If we look at current stats, so far the EU, has had more cases and so more replications and therefore more likely to have given rise to variants. If Europe's epidemic suddenly ended and Brazil's kept going unchecked, this might reverse, but so far its not the case.

How do you know with any level of certainty how many infections Brazil has had?
    We can extrapolate somewhat from the EU from the level of testing, we have no idea about Brazil where a President was encouraging people to spread the virus.
    Brazil has a poverty level of about 20% with Favelas overflowing with people suffering from various un-diagnosed diseases, primordial soup was a good description of the situation in Brazil.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

Important to remember that the mutations just mean they are different, not necessarily more dangerous, though the media frequently implies this.

It can go either way

• Advertisement

crossman47 wrote: »
    OK but these never vary much except when you get the likes of Covid. The 2018 figure was about 200 below 2019.

You were correct in what you said, just mentioned using one year gave him a comeback he didnt deserve :)

How do you know with any level of certainty how many infections Brazil has had?
    We can extrapolate somewhat from the EU from the level of testing, we have no idea about Brazil where a President was encouraging people to spread the virus.
    Brazil has a poverty level of about 20% with Favelas overflowing with people suffering from various un-diagnosed diseases, primordial soup was a good description of the situation in Brazil.

I can ask you the same question, but here is some of my reasoning behind my belief that there are more total infections so far in the EU than in Brazil. Brazil has roughly half the number of reported cases that the EU does, and it has roughly 60% of the reported deaths that the EU does. It does have a younger population so its CFR should be a lower ratio than EU, and there could also be underreporting of deaths when compared to the EU, however there is a pretty big gap in the numbers, that I think its not a wild assumption to think that despite the under counting that the EU might still have had more cases than Brazil. Lets not also forget that despite our efforts the EU has had a pretty uncontrolled epidemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Szero wrote: »
    Boris says there will be another wave later this year.

Thoughts on this?

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1384541079370928128
    marno21 wrote: »
    Even if everyone is vaccinated, it will spread in some way when we reopen and travel is reopened. No vaccine is 100% effective.

People will get sick, hospitalised and will unfortunately die from Covid-19 but the numbers of those who do will be a tiny fraction of those that would have had it run riot on a population with no immunisation.
    This seems to be one of the few times that Boris has gone honestly with the scientists rather than fearmongering.

Two-thirds of the UK vaccine programme is Astrazeneca, which we know is less effective after two doses than the mRNA vaccines.

Additional issues have also been highlighted in relation to the UK;

- The long time between doses is leading to a poorer uptake of the second doses
    - Uptake in higher-risk populations (working class & non-white) is lower overall
    - The popular impression that "everyone is vaccinated" will lead to health guidelines being widely ignored

Thus, it is reasonable to expect that there will be a new wave of infections in the UK as the economy reopens, since the road to herd immunity is going to be a long one and everything will be open in the UK well before it is achieved.

Their hope, presumably, is that enough of the vulnerable population are covered so that any wave is actually an outbreak of "just a bit of a flu" rather than something which fills up hospitals and ICUs.

The same isn't being said in other countries because we're using vaccines with a better efficacy and aiming for herd immunity before we fully reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

I see RTE reporting that family outbreaks have dropped significantly again to coincide with schools being closed for the Easter. Something similar happened when schools started to return back in February and the number of family/household outbreaks shot up shortly after to very much coincide with schools returning. Such patterns are no coincidence at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

funnydoggy wrote: »
    I'm in that camp too. Get the vulnerable protected and re-open society as fast as possible. Thankfully the government is going down that route too.

They are?

The government most certainly has no interest in reopening society as fast as possible, their words and actions demonstrate that quite clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Its gotten to the stage where we (government) are now actively ignoring parts of the world that have reduced or even gotten rid of restrictions altogether almost as if they don't exist.

Leo talking about cancelling Euros now which are due to be held in Dublin in June as 12,000 would be required to attend according to UEFA.

Texas have 30,000 plus attending baseball games right now and for the last 3/4 weeks...Case are dropping not rising there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

They are?

The government most certainly has no interest in reopening society as fast as possible, their words and actions demonstrate that quite clearly.

They are. I didn't mention their pace, however :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Tested positive with no symptoms whatsoever a few months ago. I won't be taking the vacine.

My body my choice.

I think it would have been better to let us all know if you had of done it all in capital letters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Its gotten to the stage where we (government) are now actively ignoring parts of the world that have reduced or even gotten rid of restrictions altogether almost as if they don't exist.

Leo talking about cancelling Euros now which are due to be held in Dublin in June as 12,000 would be required to attend according to UEFA.

Texas have 30,000 plus attending baseball games right now and for the last 3/4 weeks...Case are dropping not rising there.

Yeah this is kind of what makes me wonder/worry...It seems as though we are possibly the most cautious in the Western world....What is going to happen again next Oct/Nov when no cases no doubt will pick up? Lock down again all winter?

Yeah this is kind of what makes me wonder/worry...It seems as though we are possibly the most cautious in the Western world....What is going to happen again next Oct/Nov when no cases no doubt will pick up? Lock down again all winter?

It just doesn’t look like our doctors or politicians have the appetite to live with increased cases, even if there are limited hospitalisations and deaths. UK and US and rest of Europe does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

JP100 wrote: »
    I see RTE reporting that family outbreaks have dropped significantly again to coincide with schools being closed for the Easter. Something similar happened when schools started to return back in February and the number of family/household outbreaks shot up shortly after to very much coincide with schools returning. Such patterns are no coincidence at all really.

What is your obsession? It can't be good for you.

I'm still on the fence so I can't say either way.

Personally, I'm young and healthy so I'm way down the priority list.
    When the time comes I'll review the data and decide what to do.

I think it's for people to decide what level of risk is acceptable to them.
    I'd accept the risk of catching covid at present, but I'm not mixing with anyone.
    I have older family members who've had it and I'm glad they did.

The disease doesn't care about personal preference though. The disease only cares about transmitting through populations to pass the disease onto others, leading to an increased risk of dangerous variants. If the disease were mild for everyone, perhaps you would have a point, but the disease doesn't care about things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

542 positive swabs, 2.84% positivity on 19,058 tests.
    7 day test positivity is 2.8%.

- Wednesday, April 21st 2021
    Wednesday bump is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Swabs out early.

High number of tests carried out, no surprise for a Wednesday though as we know. Will be interesting to see the breakdown now at the end of the week with regards the walk in centres.

Positivity holding anyway

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1384844373922390018?s=19

Compared to last week

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1382333073774219267?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Just got a call to be vaccinated tomorrow. :)

I'm youngish (early thirties) and I don't have any of the qualifying underlying conditions, but I have an underlying condition that seriously compromises my immune system, which my GP says leaves me at high risk, so that's why I got the call. I didn't expect I'd be vaccinated til late summer so I'm over the moon.

Shocked though because my relative (same GP) has more than one qualifying condition and no call.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭pauldry

I got vaccinated weeks ago and only in my 40s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Swabs out early.

High number of tests carried out, no surprise for a Wednesday though as we know. Will be interesting to see the breakdown now at the end of the week with regards the walk in centres.

Compared to last week

That's a very high number of tests

Positive swabs up 89 for 2186 extra tests

Still higher figures than you'd hope for

The disease doesn't care about personal preference though. The disease only cares about transmitting through populations to pass the disease onto others, leading to an increased risk of dangerous variants. If the disease were mild for everyone, perhaps you would have a point, but the disease doesn't care about things like that.

Also loves a sup of alcohol I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Swabs out early.

Compared to last week

Oh Wednesday bump, I did not miss you.

• Advertisement

Also loves a sup of alcohol I hear.

Tears into those pints with abandon, always wary of the clock though and loses its potency at closing time. Thank goodness Tony is back in the nick of time to quash any highfallutin notions publicans might have, like opening for business and turning a profit after more than a year in the doldrums. Those fond of abstinence are perfectly entitled to remain at home and do their knitting, let the rest of us have a tall pour in peace.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement