Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    No

Sorry, did mean it as a joke, but it's a tad entertaining to see a date range come up. Will let you know in a few months if it was right ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

Sorry, did mean it as a joke, but it's a tad entertaining to see a date range come up. Will let you know in a few months if it was right ha.

It only works off the current rate of vaccination, which is increasing every week, so no, it will definitely not be accurate. It will likely be much much sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭political analyst

According to The Times (UK), Mayo coroner Patrick O'Connor, who acts as public info officer for the Coroners Society of Ireland, claims that the figures given by NPHET for Covid deaths have no scientific basis because recording Covid-19 as the principal cause of death when a person was already terminally ill raised questions about the accuracy of the figures.

Why would doctors record the cause of the death of a patient who has a terminal condition as Covid even if the patient would have lived only for a few more months at most if the pandemic had not happened?

I acknowledge that I made my point poorly. NPHET's failure to consider the context of Covid death statistics (i.e. terminal illness, obesity etc) means that the most draconian of restrictions (limit on travel in the country, ban on click-and-collect) recommended by NPHET are not necessary because the recommendation for people who have underlying health problems that they take especially strong precautions (i.e. cocooning or at least wearing surgical masks and also using visors to prevent viral particles from getting into the eyes) would have been enough to protect those people.

Edit: I've just realised that there is a special thread on the coroner's point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Ficheall wrote: »
    People have been posting the same things day in, day out, for over a year. If you intend to call out everyone that does it, you're going to be very busy indeed.

Indeed! A few posters on here have a seriously hard time reading things they don't like the sound off on here. So much so that you'd wonder why they bother coming on to a discussion forum at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Will this be accurate?! Find out when YOU will get the vaccine!

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/ireland-vaccine-queue

I'd wager a cat drunk on ten bottles of whiskey would provide a more accurate picture than that site!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    They've still less than 40% with at least one dose. And their daily new cases are much higher than ours.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

23% have two doses.

No, its over 50% of adults with at least one dose and 33% fully vaccinated.

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/18/988574518/more-than-half-of-u-s-adults-have-gotten-at-least-one-covid-19-vaccine-dose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Family member in a bad way currently . I was meh about getting a vaccine myself and have posted that numerous times here . However will 100 percent get one now if it reduces the risk of me transmitting it to someone more vulnerable than me .

Best wishes to them Sweet.Science.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Wait til it happens and then it’s too late.

Not saying it will happen but just that wording is ambiguous

Why? Have you found a way to change it? Of course you haven't . It's just more complaining about something that hasn't even happened yet.

ceadaoin. wrote: »

Not on the figures I had, but fair enough. Still way shy of exporting surplus: as was the point being discussed.

Will this be accurate?! Find out when YOU will get the vaccine!

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/ireland-vaccine-queue

Not even close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Wow, even NPHET are scratching their heads at people loosing their minds over the "DOUBLE MUTANT"

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/three-cases-of-indian-variant-of-covid-are-found-here-40333050.html
    Dr Cillian De Gascun of the National Virus Reference Laboratory said there was no real world evidence yet that this particular variant was more infectious or more deadly.
    Deputy chief medical officer Dr Ronan Glynn said the way the Indian variant has been described in various online reports would lead you to think the “world was coming to an end”, but the speculation was inflated and not related to the real-world experience so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

OwenM wrote: »
    Wow, even NPHET are scratching their heads at people loosing their minds over the "DOUBLE MUTANT"

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/three-cases-of-indian-variant-of-covid-are-found-here-40333050.html

Yeah that's true, so far is true.

Do you remember when they said the same thing about the UK variant. Lot's thought it was Boris making it up.

De Gascon said something along the lines of "it only makes up a tiny percentage of cases and there is no evidence that it is more infectious or deadly etc"

There is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

OwenM wrote: »

It's a guaranteed crowd frightener, attack of the double mutant variant! It'll also probably mean another 30 random countries added to the red list!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Waiting to find out which variant came into the house so I can hold it against that country forever (joke)

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's a guaranteed crowd frightener, attack of the double mutant variant! It'll also probably mean another 30 random countries added to the red list!

For the UK to add India will be a huge social strain (pun not intended) because of the demographic makeup and will reinforce the need to allow vaccinated people in without quarantine or a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The ICU number is very stubborn
    It is, but it's because they're giving people every fighting chance.

With normal hospital numbers, you expect a covid admission to either test negative or be discharged within two weeks. So there's a fairly predictable cycle time and a fairly constant flow of discharges. If the number of new patients is low this week, then you know that the total hospital numbers will drop.

The ICU numbers are (as far as I understand it), not just people who are covid-positive, but people who are still fighting complications as a result of covid, whether they're positive or negative.

So they can be in there for weeks upon weeks. Which means that even if you have few or no new admissions to ICU this week, you're not guaranteed for the numbers to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

The ICU number is very stubborn

I don't know much about ICU but is there a chance that the hospital is more cautious now that they have extra capacity in ICU, and move people to ICU earlier or for less severe cases ?

In january we were at ~10% of hospitalized people in ICU (~200/2000)
    Now we are at ~26%, and with the vaccination we would expect to have less severe cases so we would expect the ICU numbers to fall at the same rate or even faster than cases in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

I think Seamus is right. There is a certain proportion of Covid ICU admissions that will stay there for weeks. So if we had 200 covid ICU beds two months ago, it doesn't seem unreasonable that some of the 50 remaining will be there for a few weeks longer. Even if we had no infections and no hospital admissions, a certain proportion of that 200 would still be in ICU now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

zebastein wrote: »
    I don't know much about ICU but is there a chance that the hospital is more cautious now that they have extra capacity in ICU, and move people to ICU earlier or for less severe cases ?

In january we were at ~10% of hospitalized people in ICU (~200/2000)
    Now we are at ~26%, and with the vaccination we would expect to have less severe cases so we would expect the ICU numbers to fall at the same rate or even faster than cases in hospital.

Yes you are correct. There are people in ICU now that would've been on wards in Jan/Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

https://www.thejournal.ie/ema-ruling-safety-johnson-and-johnson-vaccine-5414794-Apr2021/

EMA expected to rule on J&J today, they're expected to approve with some caveats on who should get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,312 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Claire Byrne at it again.

Talking about how terrifying the new Indian variant is.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's not as if you don't know what she does by now! She's a good journalist but you could nearly catch COVID from her radio show!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thing is should we be concerned about the Indian version?, a couple of months ago cases in India were falling off a cliff and nobody could explain it. The theory floating around was that Indians have greater exposure to viruses thoughout their life and therefore may have more robust viral responses, remember that?, yet now its totally out of control there again.
    I dont think we should be dropping our guard until group 7 is completed to be honest.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Thought De Gascun was good on Claire Byrne there. He's a good communicator and doesn't overcomplicate things.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,211 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Eod100 wrote: »
    Thought De Gascun was good on Claire Byrne there. He's a good communicator and doesn't overcomplicate things.

He's good but she's just awful.

She goes completely over the top and he somehow comes out with a good explanation in a rational manner. Don't know how he had to patience to explain variants to her when it's not the first time someone's explained it.

I can see why they said what they said last night about the media commentary at the NPHET briefing

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

This is a great thread on situation with the Indian variant and people trying to push a narrative for likes and retweets.

Eric at it again

https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1384304239959105536?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

This is a great thread on situation with the Indian variant and people trying to push a narrative for likes and retweets.

Eric at it again

One of the things I'm most looking forward to when this is over is not having to see any more of that attention seeking clown's tweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Eric at it again

Eric Feigl-'Doom-monger'

• Registered Users Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I really hate that Eric fella, seems to thrive on doom and gloom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭eigrod

She’s moved on to the Brazilian variant now. No doom angle left uncovered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement