Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭peterc1991

Harris said: "Literally over the next number of weeks, and we are talking weeks, four out of five adults in Ireland are going to have had their first vaccine"

Unlikely. Very.

Anyway, it's the slightly disingenious use of "weeks", as if we're all gonna fall for it and keep in line easier than if he said "months".

Its quite likely with the way things are going. Is there any to base on that you just right off that we will other than being negative?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Offaly slipping. Poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,923 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Harris:

"Literally over the next number of weeks, and we are talking weeks, four out of five adults in Ireland are going to have had their first vaccine", he added.

Is it weeks or months? Hard to believe it's only been a number of weeks since this pandemic started.

I'll forgive him if we get to 4 out of 5 before end May.

Sure, 52 is also a number of weeks. If Harris told me the sun was shining outside I'd bring my brolly. It is clearly a case that they are all briefed to keep using the term "number of weeks". Glynn, Donnelly, MM, Leo, Harris etc al are mad for using and have been for some time.

Technically, he's not wrong but it's completely outside the ordinary use of the term. What he should be saying is a number of months but they want to keep the restrictions as tight as possible under they reach that 80% target and that becomes harder when they start talking in months rather than weeks.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,341 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

arccosh wrote: »
    it's been scientifically proven planes cannot pass covid to each other

I believe we need to have an abundance of caution in this regard though, some of the variants of concern such as emirates or quantas leave us little choice but to be very concerned. The new level 5 with modifications will allow us to protect against planes with covid so that if those planes land here we won't have to move into level 5 with modifications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,923 ✭✭✭✭JRant

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Little over 10 weeks to the end of June so definitely not the next number of weeks

It will be a good achievement if they actually have four out of five adults in Ireland are going to have had their first vaccine by the end of June

With 60+ due to finish by end of May (?) there is very little chance of that happening. They may "offer" everyone an appointment before the end of June but with the constant chopping and changing of who's doing what with the different vaccines it will more than likely be late July early August at best.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Harris:

"Literally over the next number of weeks, and we are talking weeks, four out of five adults in Ireland are going to have had their first vaccine", he added.

Is it weeks or months? Hard to believe it's only been a number of weeks since this pandemic started.

I'll forgive him if we get to 4 out of 5 before end May.
    peterc1991 wrote: »
    Its quite likely with the way things are going. Is there any to base on that you just right off that we will other than being negative?

Being negative? No. Being realistic? Yes. You're missing the point - he is saying "over the next number of weeks, and we are talking weeks, four out of five adults in Ireland are going to have had their first vaccine". Most people will read a few weeks as before end May. But as you seem convinced that it's "quite likely", good for you and your optimism! Most of us will see the constant reference to "a number of weeks" and "the next few weeks" as deliberate attempts to avoid the "month" word to fool the stupid plebs!
    JRant wrote: »
    Sure, 52 is also a number of weeks. If Harris told me the sun was shining outside I'd bring my brolly. It is clearly a case that they are all briefed to keep using the term "number of weeks". Glynn, Donnelly, MM, Leo, Harris etc al are mad for using and have been for some time.

Technically, he's not wrong but it's completely outside the ordinary use of the term. What he should be saying is a number of months but they want to keep the restrictions as tight as possible under they reach that 80% target and that becomes harder when they start talking in months rather than weeks.

Exactly. But treats the population as fools. Perhaps they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

JP100 wrote: »
    At the point now where schools are once again slowly seeping into the case numbers.

You posted the exact same thing a few hours ago.... It must be sad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Polar101

Harris:

He's a politician - they're not known for stating things exactly as they are.

You might have a point, but whether it's weeks or months, at least it's not going to be dozens of weeks or several months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

mloc123 wrote: »
    You posted the exact same thing a few hours ago.... It must be sad
    People have been posting the same things day in, day out, for over a year. If you intend to call out everyone that does it, you're going to be very busy indeed.

• Advertisement

Polar101 wrote: »
    He's a politician - they're not known for stating things exactly as they are.

You might have a point, but whether it's weeks or months, at least it's not going to be dozens of weeks or several months.

Hopefully. Looking forward to getting to US by year end.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,329 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Every single adult in the US is now eligible for a vaccination.

Hopefully we should see the US start to export their surplus shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Indeed De Gascun reiterated it's under investigation. Glynn followed up then with this. You can tell he's annoyed this evening with some of the slant that the media are putting on things

https://twitter.com/mariaflan/status/1384192751504302083?s=19

Glynn can’t have actually said that

An example of hypocrisy that could be used in the dictionary to teach young children if he did

These guys have been bombarding Irish citizens with a message like so for 13 months

• Registered Users Posts: 10,569 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Vicxas wrote: »
    Every single adult in the US is now eligible for a vaccination.

Hopefully we should see the US start to export their surplus shortly

They've still less than 40% with at least one dose. And their daily new cases are much higher than ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Family member in a bad way currently . I was meh about getting a vaccine myself and have posted that numerous times here . However will 100 percent get one now if it reduces the risk of me transmitting it to someone more vulnerable than me .

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    They've still less than 40% with at least one dose. And their daily new cases are much higher than ours.

Their case numbers are much the same as ours.

And they are running with the short gap between doses so fully vaccinated are progressing at the same pace, more or less, as 1st doses now. They’ll be done will full 2 dose vaccinations in a couple of months

And they are running with the short gap between doses so fully vaccinated are progressing at the same pace, more or less, as 1st doses now. They’ll be done will full 2 dose vaccinations in a couple of months

Their 7 day running average is equivalent to 1060 for us.

23% have two doses.

I was replying to the notion that it won't be long before they are exporting surplus vaccines: by that time we won't need them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

On to dose no3 then as mentioned recently by Pfizer CEO

https://news.sky.com/story/people-will-likely-need-to-have-a-third-dose-of-a-covid-jab-within-12-months-pfizer-boss-says-12276745

"Every year there after " also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭maebee

Family member in a bad way currently . I was meh about getting a vaccine myself and have posted that numerous times here . However will 100 percent get one now if it reduces the risk of me transmitting it to someone more vulnerable than me .

You came into my head today S.S. and I was going to ask how you and yours are doing. Fingers crossed that your family member gets better soon.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Best wishes for a speedy recovery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Ficheall wrote: »
    People have been posting the same things day in, day out, for over a year. If you intend to call out everyone that does it, you're going to be very busy indeed.
    The odd person, but not to the same extent as poster who has been banging on non stop about schools for months,nothwithstanding all the evidence to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Is there a get of out of jail card for the government and the 80% target by end of June? The target is “ “offered” which I think was initially meant to cover people declining, now they can say we have offered you the choice to register on 30th June. Get you appointment in July for August!!

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Is there a get of out of jail card for the government and the 80% target by end of June? The target is “ “offered” which I think was initially meant to cover people declining, now they can say we have offered you the choice to register on 30th June. Get you appointment in July for August!!

Maybe wait until it happens for the indignant nit-picking?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Hospital numbers at 8pm

Total 175 (down from 186 last night)
    ICU 48 (up from 46 last night - 0 deaths)

Last Monday
    Total 203
    ICU 46

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

TheDoctor wrote:
    Total 175 (down from 186 last night) ICU 48 (up from 46 last night - 0 deaths)

The ICU number is very stubborn

The figures on how many people that identify as "Republican", particularly men, and don't intend on taking the vaccine are astonishing (presuming the polling is accurate).

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/23/covid-vaccine-hesitancy-white-republicans/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The figures on how many people that identify as "Republican", particularly men, and don't intend on taking the vaccine are astonishing (presuming the polling is accurate).

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/23/covid-vaccine-hesitancy-white-republicans/

I wonder how many Covid vaccine Republicans we have here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Maybe wait until it happens for the indignant nit-picking?

Wait til it happens and then it’s too late.

Not saying it will happen but just that wording is ambiguous

Will this be accurate?! Find out when YOU will get the vaccine!

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/ireland-vaccine-queue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement