Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Feminism-Good for Society?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Hard to believe someone would write this statement in 2021.

But, as long as there are people who hold this view, there will be women to counter it.

Simple
    Then compete with the men

Advocate to compete with the men

But you don't and didn't which plainly shows you don't want equity you want preferential treatment.

I don't care whether women play alongside men or not I really don't but the simple reality is women are slower and weaker and it would all but eradicate womens participation in sport.

I dont see whats controversial about it, is there any self funding womens pro sport or do they all leech off the mens team ?

A counter point could have been given here but there is none, the point cuts too close to the bone so the only retort was to flag it.

Here's an example of the disparity between male and female sports. In '17 I think it was the US Womens soccer team played a school team of 13 and 14 year olds and lost 5 -2

The womens team would have had superior everything and still couldn't beat a bunch of kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Sarcozies

There is a WNBA, where do you think they come from? Men who failed to make it to NBA and then declared as women maybe?

People are quick to argue about the lack of quality in womens sports, how do you guys think it will improve if they do not get adequate resources to develop?

All college sports, and many activities besides are reliant on the revenue from some of their mens sports teams. That does not suggest that womens facilities should be so poorly considered as evidenced in this case.

If that were true, all sports outside of mens basketball and football, including track and field should be supplied with equipment on a par with what the women received here.

We both know that that does not happen.

My post wasn't intended as an excuse just to show that these college sports are some of the most watched in the country and generate huge money.

I think the women should be given adequate facilities to train even if the men's game has to support it.

• I dont see whats controversial about it, is there any self funding womens pro sport or do they all leech off the mens team ?

The best jockey in the world is a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Men have worse health. Are more likely to be suicidal . Have more special needs in schools.
    Die sooner. Get imprisoned etc But all we here is whining feminists in the media.
    I'm all for equality in the workplace but just sick of them (feminists) whinging at the drop of a hat in terms of the media.

• Advertisement

• Bobtheman wrote: »
    Men have worse health. Are more likely to be suicidal . Have more special needs in schools.
    Die sooner. Get imprisoned etc But all we here is whining feminists in the media.
    I'm all for equality in the workplace but just sick of them (feminists) whinging at the drop of a hat in terms of the media.

Feminism aims to fix all of that.

Take no notice of internet feminism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Feminism aims to fix all of that.

Take no notice of internet feminism.

Where can I find these feminists? What organisations are they a part of? "Internet feminism", as you call it, is the mainstream movement, no matter how much you try and downplay that fact.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• TomTomTim wrote: »
    Where can I find these feminists? What organisations are they a part of? "Internet feminism", as you call it, is the mainstream movement, no matter how much you try and downplay that fact.

Talk to the women in your life.

• No surprise that it's the 'Gentleman Club' regulars that 'thanked' the previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭alexv

Bobtheman wrote: »

Some of them show difficuIty comprehending what equality entails. I find that it's often the male feminists (many of them try to avoid being described as such, out of embarrassment I suppose) whose whining is the most unhinged and obsessive. It seems to echo the cognitive dissonance which resounds perpetually in their heads.

• Advertisement

• nj27 wrote: »
    Women are generally way worse than good men. You won't hear from the men who aren't in that race, they'll be doing the jobs you don't want or don't care to do. The men who are above those jobs are above almost all women, outside of a handful of outliers who don't need to be mentioned due to how rare they are.

Men make the world. Men do next to everything. Men are freakishly good at things. I am an unusually accomplished, qualified, and intelligent individual, and I am not fit to clean the feet of men who are actually good at what I do. There are ZERO women involved in it, and there never will be. I am sick of acting like there is equality. There is no equality. There are special men, way out in front, doing the work, and then there's everyone else benefiting from it and either respecting or pulling them down. That's it. That's the world and how it works.

This isn't the post you think it is.

This is the very reason why male suicide rates are so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

This isn't the post you think it is.

This is the very reason why male suicide rates are so high.

That post has been deleted because it's too false to meet boards.ie's high standards, but either way, it doesn't matter if suicide rates are high. What matters is that these unusual things are done. You agree with that by using everything you use in your day to day life, because they were created by unusually competent men. We require fierce competition for things such as your computer, your earphones, your coffee machine, to exist. Fierce competition doesn't occur with gender quotas to allow comparatively feeble minded people into the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

All the incels have gone quiet...

Is that the default insult for people who don't fit into the "all hail women" narative?

You do realise people can be critical of a movement and not be on the extreme opposite?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

gary550 wrote: »
    Is that the default insult for people who don't fit into the "all hail women" narative?

You do realise people can be critical of a movement and not be on the extreme opposite?

calling men incels
    telling them to 'talk to the women in their life' (its a dog whistle to saying they don't have any women around them)
    asking if they've ever been on a date with a girl

its the usual response 'your interactions with women decide your value' metric that male feminists hold themselves to, so will hold others they disagree to.

• gary550 wrote: »

I have no "all hail women narrative."

The NBA actively keeps the WNBA alive. The WNBA has never made a profit. The WNBA should lower the heights of the basket.

• calling men incels
    telling them to 'talk to the women in their life' (its a dog whistle to saying they don't have any women around them)
    asking if they've ever been on a date with a girl

its the usual response 'your interactions with women decide your value' metric that male feminists hold themselves to, so will hold others they disagree to.

Funnily enough, you didn't actually reply to my post.

You sought comfort in your own feelings.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

nj27 wrote: »
    That post has been deleted because it's too false to meet boards.ie's high standards, but either way, it doesn't matter if suicide rates are high. What matters is that these unusual things are done. You agree with that by using everything you use in your day to day life, because they were created by unusually competent men. We require fierce competition for things such as your computer, your earphones, your coffee machine, to exist. Fierce competition doesn't occur with gender quotas to allow comparatively feeble minded people into the system.

Threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's not surprise that women's sports are less popular than men's sports
    http://www.respectwomen.co.in/why-womens-sports-arent-as-popular-as-mens-sports/

The question is why aren't women supporting their sports more?
    Do what the men do.
    If you are a female business owner - sponsor a local female team.
    If all women got season tickets to the women's rugby team it would help pay for their equipment.
    In rain or shine, go to support your team at every game.

First you get the crowds, then you get the money, then you get the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We've seen here conversation around women and how it was much worse in the past with the implication that they no longer had anything to advocate for.
    What, other than preferential treatment or freedom from the consequences of her own actions, does an Irish woman need feminism to advocate for? She already has a longer life expectancy, better healthcare, better education, better career
    The equal rights amendment was first proposed in the US in 1923. Nearly 100 years later, it has still to be added to the constitution. It took until 1972 before the senate passed it and it was sent to the states and various shenanigans that have gone since then means that it has still to be ratified. Given the passion which we have seen people in the US defend the constitution and particularly some of the amendments added to it, an amendment legally guaranteeing women as equal status to men not being ratified for 100 years since it was proposed there is still some work to be done there.
    Why the focus on the US constitution when we still have a clause in our own that mentions a "woman's place in the home"? I don't suppose it's because that clause benefits women in family law?
    In the next story, March is dedicated to college basketball in the US with the annual March Madness playoff series being held. This past week, the disparity in how women teams are provided for versus mens was shown in stark contrast.
    Below is the picture of the weights facilities provide for the mens team, and then the weights facilities provided for the women.

ncaa-weight-room-ht-jt-210319_1616188057086_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

sub-buzz-3908-1616184526-10.png?downsize=700%3A%2A&output-quality=auto&output-format=auto

I know some will say, 'It's about money, the men's game creates more' but this is a college tournament played by players who are not paid and colleges should come some bit closer in trying to support women who probably work as hard and for as long as many of the men do.
    If the mens game can provide better facilities for it's players than the womens' that simple economics. It's akin to female models being paid better than male ones.

Personally, I'd be asking the question another way: why are sporting facilities on a college campus segregated by gender? Or asking if that weight room is exclusively for the use of the mens basketball team? It seems a very poor use of funding if so: surely a high-performance weights room should be open to all athletes that represent the institution?
    Next, Turkey has withdrawn from an international agreement intended to protect women.
    Ah, Turkey, that bastion of human rights. The article states that no reason was given for the withdrawal so hard to know if they can be criticised in this particular regard. Personally, I believe making gendered laws is inherently wrong and open to abuse. Domestic violence is domestic violence whether perpetrated by, or against, a man or a woman. There's no need to bring gender into laws against it unless the laws are only being written and passed to pander to the feminist lobby.
    And in the UK, just 2 weeks after Sarah Everard and the light that was shone on police in light of the vigil which was held in her memory last week, it came out this week that a police officer who attacked a woman when she was walking home at night escaped jail and was fined just 500 pounds and his lawyer argued against him having to do community service because it would be difficult for him. Link to Story
    Looking at the video in the article you posted, it looks like bad behaviour from a drunk individual but it's certainly on the milder end of what one sees on any night out in our city streets. Certainly a police officer should be held to higher standards but it's a stretch to call this case any signifier of misogyny or sexism against women when men are far more likely to be the victim of an unprovoked assault in the street than women and will likely receive far more serious injuries than the victim in this incident.
    Next there was the attack in Atlanta in which 6 asian women were killed and whatever the motivations were because of his own addiction, which his mother said she didn't believe, or because of actions which led to an increase in attacks on asian people over the last year, the police officer leading a press conference the next day was denounced for being too compassionate towards the accused in explaining that he 'had a really bad day, and this happened' rather than calling him out for being the killer he is.
    Again an American issue but most would argue it's a bigger indicator of their problems with a lack of gun control rather than sexism. This is country which experiences multiple mass-shooter events per week. A cop saying something stupid in a press conference is barely worth mentioning in the context of their cultural obsession with fireams.
    And finally, the UK based football journalist spoke about her experience in doing her job. Link to story.
    Pure Clickbait. A journalist trying to strengthen her brand by creating a tenuous link to a big story with a false equivalence between her experiences of having to deal with drunken morons as part of her job and that of the victim of horrific murder. There are barstaff the length and breadth of Ireland and the UK that deal with worse on a nightly basis, they just don't have newspaper columns to indulge themselves. Incidentally, if she felt so victimised by these incidents she had the evidence to ensure prosecutions (her video footage). She chose to shrug it off at the time and is only telling the stories now to jump on the victim bandwagon.
    I didn't go looking for any of these stories, I do pay close attention to current affairs and saw these being mentioned at various times on various platforms. 5 stories, in one week, each of which I think would be uncomfortable reading or all to familiar for the women who would read them.
    If you were a woman who came across them in the same way, would you think that there was no more work to be done in terms of advocacy? Would you agree with the people here who suggested the first thing women should do before advocating for anything is thank men for everything they have done for them? Or if a woman looked at these stories and felt that they still weren't being treated equally or as they should be, that they felt this way because of some credo or American ideology?
    One other thing to say, as Melissa in her piece pointed out, it is not all men. But, if instead of trying to focus on this point, they would call out others when they see them doing unacceptable stuff. That guy who took his dick out and waved it at her was with 4 others. They didn't do it, but chances are if they didn't tolerate such behavior, he wouldn't feel he could do it and that might bring about less occurrences of such events more so than any article or occasional fine for public indecency or whatever.

P.S. If your response to this is to discount it in saying these stories have nothing to do with Ireland, I will take it you think they are problematic, but you just aren't concerned because they happened somewhere else.
    That you didn't seek out these stories but happened across them multiple times says more about the echo chamber you've created for yourself on social media than anything else tbh.

Individual men behaving badly is not evidence of a sexist system. It's evidence that some men are arseholes. Campaign and advocate as much as you like, you're never going to change that. There will always be arseholes (of both genders). As long as the law provides avenues for recourse when those individuals harm another, you have equality (arguably you already have superiority in this regard in Ireland since women can't be charged with certain crimes men can, are less likely to be prosecuted than men and receive more lenient sentences than men when convicted).

TBH, while I'd hope the most likely outcome of feminism in Ireland is the relatively harmless continued waste of (often public) money in the enrichment of professional misandrists and victims in the arts, media, the IWC, academia and the like, I think there's a very real potential for a backlash.

Our society already values women more than men. Mix the media's constant peddling of the feminist mantra "women are victims, men are to blame" to a society where young women have higher educational outcomes and career prospects than their male counterparts, an under-resourced public mental health service (and one that's largely staffed by those who view all problems through the myopic lens of feminism) and I think you're going to find that rather than planting the seeds of some matriarchal feminist utopia, you're instead creating a breeding ground for angry, disaffected young men who'll see women as their enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I find the whole "blame all men" narrative disturbing tbh, we need to have a conversation with our sons ?

So what - my sons will turn into rapists if I don't instill guilt and shame into them for being male ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I find the whole "blame all men" narrative disturbing tbh, we need to have a conversation with our sons ?

So what - my sons will turn into rapists if I don't instill guilt and shame into them for being male ?

I feel sorry for the generation of young boys growing up now. There is relentless negativity about being male and even worse if you are white and male. They never hear the word ‘masculinity’ without the word ‘toxic’ being attached to it.
    I don’t have young sons, but if I did I would be telling them to be proud of their masculinity and to disregard as far as possible the vitriol that is thrown at them and never apologise for being born male.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭randd1

We have a world now where young lads are being told

- You're white, and therefore the root of all the worlds problems
    - And as you're white, you're also a closet/open racist, even if you know yourself don't have a shred of it.
    - You're male, therefore a sexual predator like all men
    - And as a man, you're also a closet/open sexist, even if you know yourself don't have a shred of it.
    - You're privileged. Regardless of economic/family status.
    - You can't say what you want in case someone gets offended

No sir, there's not going to be any societal repercussions to that type of attempt at cultural conditioning at all at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

We've seen here conversation around women and how it was much worse in the past with the implication that they no longer had anything to advocate for.
    Aside from how this view was countered already on this thread, here are a couple of stories from this week which, if you were a woman, would suggest that it isn't as simple as that.

The equal rights amendment was first proposed in the US in 1923. Nearly 100 years later, it has still to be added to the constitution. It took until 1972 before the senate passed it and it was sent to the states and various shenanigans that have gone since then means that it has still to be ratified. Given the passion which we have seen people in the US defend the constitution and particularly some of the amendments added to it, an amendment legally guaranteeing women as equal status to men not being ratified for 100 years since it was proposed there is still some work to be done there.

In the next story, March is dedicated to college basketball in the US with the annual March Madness playoff series being held. This past week, the disparity in how women teams are provided for versus mens was shown in stark contrast.
    Below is the picture of the weights facilities provide for the mens team, and then the weights facilities provided for the women.

ncaa-weight-room-ht-jt-210319_1616188057086_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

sub-buzz-3908-1616184526-10.png?downsize=700%3A%2A&output-quality=auto&output-format=auto

I know some will say, 'It's about money, the men's game creates more' but this is a college tournament played by players who are not paid and colleges should come some bit closer in trying to support women who probably work as hard and for as long as many of the men do.

Next, Turkey has withdrawn from an international agreement intended to protect women.

And in the UK, just 2 weeks after Sarah Everard and the light that was shone on police in light of the vigil which was held in her memory last week, it came out this week that a police officer who attacked a woman when she was walking home at night escaped jail and was fined just 500 pounds and his lawyer argued against him having to do community service because it would be difficult for him. Link to Story

Next there was the attack in Atlanta in which 6 asian women were killed and whatever the motivations were because of his own addiction, which his mother said she didn't believe, or because of actions which led to an increase in attacks on asian people over the last year, the police officer leading a press conference the next day was denounced for being too compassionate towards the accused in explaining that he 'had a really bad day, and this happened' rather than calling him out for being the killer he is.

And finally, the UK based football journalist spoke about her experience in doing her job. Link to story.

I didn't go looking for any of these stories, I do pay close attention to current affairs and saw these being mentioned at various times on various platforms. 5 stories, in one week, each of which I think would be uncomfortable reading or all to familiar for the women who would read them.
    If you were a woman who came across them in the same way, would you think that there was no more work to be done in terms of advocacy? Would you agree with the people here who suggested the first thing women should do before advocating for anything is thank men for everything they have done for them? Or if a woman looked at these stories and felt that they still weren't being treated equally or as they should be, that they felt this way because of some credo or American ideology?
    One other thing to say, as Melissa in her piece pointed out, it is not all men. But, if instead of trying to focus on this point, they would call out others when they see them doing unacceptable stuff. That guy who took his dick out and waved it at her was with 4 others. They didn't do it, but chances are if they didn't tolerate such behavior, he wouldn't feel he could do it and that might bring about less occurrences of such events more so than any article or occasional fine for public indecency or whatever.

P.S. If your response to this is to discount it in saying these stories have nothing to do with Ireland, I will take it you think they are problematic, but you just aren't concerned because they happened somewhere else.

I think this post perfectly sums up one of the biggest problem with feminists and feminism.

None of the above is to do with misogyny, or can be used to justify feminism.
    1. The ERA was killed by feminists. The ERA was about enforcing equality which sounded great, but women ran a mile when they realised the implications. Under the ERA, women would have been eligible for the draft (Vietnam was happening at the time) and would lose their special privileges when it comes to divorce, sentencing etc. Thus they dropped their support and the ERA has just sat at the sidelines ever since. But feminists get to use it as some sort of weapon.
    2. As for the gym equipment, that is like the ballygobackwards under 10's claiming that it is unfair that their training facilities are not as good as Barcelona's. Sport, by it's vary nature, is a great equaliser. It is when you create "women's leagues" to cater solely for women, that you end up with a vastly inferior league. The amount of money a club has to spend on a team pretty much depends on how much money that team brings in from the public (prize money, attendance, tv rights, merchandise). This is regardless of how much (if anything) the players are paid. It is the public who decides which sports/teams etc they spend money on. The public consists of more women than men. Very few people want to watch league two games, same as very few people want to watch women's games. Generally, when watching sports, people want to watch the best of the best, not some mediocre performance. Stop blaming men for this. Blame women for not spending more money on watching women's sports
    3. As for Turkey. Firstly Femicide is the most overused, misunderstood term been bandied about. You can almost smell the BS off any article that mentions it. Secondly, everyone knows Erdogan is a cúnt. It's not just that single agreement he pulled out of; there's hundreds of reasons to complain about him. Don't need feminism to do that.
    4. As for the sentencing story? A feminist journalist, working for a feminist newspaper, writes an article that only quotes feminists, where she doesn't actually give any details of what actually happened (exactly the kind of brutal journalism one expects from feminist journalists), but manages to imply that the problem is misogynism and only feminism has the cure. Your join date and post-count suggest you are very active on boards.ie. Yet you must never visit after hours, or have serious feminist filters applied if you do. It is full of stories of terrible sentencing and judicial decisions much closer to home. Nothing to do with misogyny or needing feminism.
    5. As for the killing of the sex-workers in the US. Well, look a little closer to home. It is the feminists who persecute sex workers here. If you think sex workers should be treated with basic human rights and dignity, then you have to oppose feminism.
    6. Finally, the reporter's story? Are you serious? Have you never seen the millions of clips of reporters trying to do a report from some event where people have been drinking? It's got nothing to do with the fact that she is a girl. Nothing to do with misogyny. Nothing that needs feminist. Any intelligent journalist would have ripped that story to pieces.

It is absolutely disgusting that feminists hijack real problems or make up problems and try to use them for their own evil narrative. I think your post (while not intended as such) is a great example of why feminism is so wrong and destructive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

randd1 wrote: »
    We have a world now where young lads are being told

- You're white, and therefore the root of all the worlds problems
    - And as you're white, you're also a closet/open racist, even if you know yourself don't have a shred of it.
    - You're male, therefore a sexual predator like all men
    - And as a man, you're also a closet/open sexist, even if you know yourself don't have a shred of it.
    - You're privileged. Regardless of economic/family status.
    - You can't say what you want in case someone gets offended

No sir, there's not going to be any societal repercussions to that type of attempt at cultural conditioning at all at all.

Exactly, was thinking the same thing, that this blame all men crap is the same as this white guilt nonsense, problem is people also claim that this attitude is "part of the problem" ... I f*cking despair , I really do...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

dotsman wrote: »
    I think this post perfectly sums up one of the biggest problem with feminists and feminism.

None of the above is to do with misogyny, or can be used to justify feminism.
    1. The ERA was killed by feminists. The ERA was about enforcing equality which sounded great, but women ran a mile when they realised the implications. Under the ERA, women would have been eligible for the draft (Vietnam was happening at the time) and would lose their special privileges when it comes to divorce, sentencing etc. Thus they dropped their support and the ERA has just sat at the sidelines ever since. But feminists get to use it as some sort of weapon.
    2. As for the gym equipment, that is like the ballygobackwards under 10's claiming that it is unfair that their training facilities are not as good as Barcelona's. Sport, by it's vary nature, is a great equaliser. It is when you create "women's leagues" to cater solely for women, that you end up with a vastly inferior league. The amount of money a club has to spend on a team pretty much depends on how much money that team brings in from the public (prize money, attendance, tv rights, merchandise). This is regardless of how much (if anything) the players are paid. It is the public who decides which sports/teams etc they spend money on. The public consists of more women than men. Very few people want to watch league two games, same as very few people want to watch women's games. Generally, when watching sports, people want to watch the best of the best, not some mediocre performance. Stop blaming men for this. Blame women for not spending more money on watching women's sports
    3. As for Turkey. Firstly Femicide is the most overused, misunderstood term been bandied about. You can almost smell the BS off any article that mentions it. Secondly, everyone knows Erdogan is a cúnt. It's not just that single agreement he pulled out of; there's hundreds of reasons to complain about him. Don't need feminism to do that.
    4. As for the sentencing story? A feminist journalist, working for a feminist newspaper, writes an article that only quotes feminists, where she doesn't actually give any details of what actually happened (exactly the kind of brutal journalism one expects from feminist journalists), but manages to imply that the problem is misogynism and only feminism has the cure. Your join date and post-count suggest you are very active on boards.ie. Yet you must never visit after hours, or have serious feminist filters applied if you do. It is full of stories of terrible sentencing and judicial decisions much closer to home. Nothing to do with misogyny or needing feminism.
    5. As for the killing of the sex-workers in the US. Well, look a little closer to home. It is the feminists who persecute sex workers here. If you think sex workers should be treated with basic human rights and dignity, then you have to oppose feminism.
    6. Finally, the reporter's story? Are you serious? Have you never seen the millions of clips of reporters trying to do a report from some event where people have been drinking? It's got nothing to do with the fact that she is a girl. Nothing to do with misogyny. Nothing that needs feminist. Any intelligent journalist would have ripped that story to pieces.

It is absolutely disgusting that feminists hijack real problems or make up problems and try to use them for their own evil narrative. I think your post (while not intended as such) is a great example of why feminism is so wrong and destructive.

All you have done here is just said that you disagree with my post based on your own subjective opinion.

1 - The ERA has been 'in play' for 100 years. But feelings around the potential of being drafted in the 70's explained why it hadn't progressed before that or since? I'm not buying it. It does show up another relevant point which will be mentioned again later. Just because some women feel one way about something, that does not remove the right of other women to advocate that their gender have access to particular things or be treated a particular way.

2 - Absolute nonsense to try to deflect in this way. Universities should have an obligation to provide at least an appropriate level of structure and facilities for sports programs so that those playing, male and female should optimise their potential with at the very least adequate facilities. Income from March madness used across a range of sports male and female. Should the mens soccer team be cut because they didn't raise the income for their teams participation? Or the golf team? Or whatever? And as for going with the sport being the great equalizer angle, why not abandon age group competitions then? Or why are there different weight categories in boxing and other sports? Surely if it is as such, put them all in to the same competition and let the cream rise to the top.

3 - The word Femicide is overused? WTF does that mean? Are these deaths or this violence not happening? Does the fact that Erdogan is reprehensible negate the fact that they had first signed the treaty but are no stepping away from it?

4 - Irrelevant as to what is discussed in relation to sentencing on AH. My point, and in the context of my post, was around whether or not women feel safe when going out and about and this story was another example of something which would make them feel less so. But way to deflect.

5 - Do feminists target sex workers? Or what version of feminist? The same type that stands outside abortion clinics abusing people visiting them? As said above, just because some women behave in a certain way, that doesn't mean that all others should adjust their arguments to what is acceptable to such a group. Irrespective of this, it doesn't again override the way in which women (sex workers or otherwise) may have felt listening to someone seemingly suggesting if not an excuse then an explanation for someone for the act of seemingly targeting and killing women specifically.

6 - How many stories have you heard of a male journalist interrupting their report because of a dick being waved at them or telling them to have some of it? Throwing traffic cones or shouting in to the microphone is banter, doing something that you wouldn't do to a guy but would to a girl is cut and dried misogny. Even in cases where male journalists are targeted such as the sky guy with the sex toy on deadline day, that was done has a different context to the 'have some of that' tone that this female journalist experienced given the inherent fear (and most often experience) they have of being treated in this way.

Speaking of hijacking feminism, or the use of the word, your post does exactly that with the dismissal of articles, newspapers, journalists solely on the basis of your feeling about what it is or what it represents.

To be honest, at this point, I'm annoyed I spent this long typing out a reply, I suspect you will discount it all by just saying you disagree. The entirety of my post as I outlined was to show that it isn't as simple as saying that women in 2021 no longer have anything to advocate for, I feel my post has shown that there are still things that fall under this category, your post has shown how difficult it can be for them to do so.

Can you give examples of what you mean by 'feminists hijack real problems or make up problems and try to use them for their own evil narrative'? so I have some idea what it is that is annoying you.

[quote="Tell me how;116694294"
    Can you give examples of what you mean by 'feminists hijack real problems or make up problems and try to use them for their own evil narrative'? so I have some idea what it is that is annoying you.[/quote]

Making up inequity in sport when actually it's preferential treatment to help you to participate

Sleepy wrote: »
    What, other than preferential treatment or freedom from the consequences of her own actions, does an Irish woman need feminism to advocate for? She already has a longer life expectancy, better healthcare, better education, better career

Why the focus on the US constitution when we still have a clause in our own that mentions a "woman's place in the home"? I don't suppose it's because that clause benefits women in family law?

If the mens game can provide better facilities for it's players than the womens' that simple economics. It's akin to female models being paid better than male ones.

Personally, I'd be asking the question another way: why are sporting facilities on a college campus segregated by gender? Or asking if that weight room is exclusively for the use of the mens basketball team? It seems a very poor use of funding if so: surely a high-performance weights room should be open to all athletes that represent the institution?

Ah, Turkey, that bastion of human rights. The article states that no reason was given for the withdrawal so hard to know if they can be criticised in this particular regard. Personally, I believe making gendered laws is inherently wrong and open to abuse. Domestic violence is domestic violence whether perpetrated by, or against, a man or a woman. There's no need to bring gender into laws against it unless the laws are only being written and passed to pander to the feminist lobby.

Looking at the video in the article you posted, it looks like bad behaviour from a drunk individual but it's certainly on the milder end of what one sees on any night out in our city streets. Certainly a police officer should be held to higher standards but it's a stretch to call this case any signifier of misogyny or sexism against women when men are far more likely to be the victim of an unprovoked assault in the street than women and will likely receive far more serious injuries than the victim in this incident.

Again an American issue but most would argue it's a bigger indicator of their problems with a lack of gun control rather than sexism. This is country which experiences multiple mass-shooter events per week. A cop saying something stupid in a press conference is barely worth mentioning in the context of their cultural obsession with fireams.

Pure Clickbait. A journalist trying to strengthen her brand by creating a tenuous link to a big story with a false equivalence between her experiences of having to deal with drunken morons as part of her job and that of the victim of horrific murder. There are barstaff the length and breadth of Ireland and the UK that deal with worse on a nightly basis, they just don't have newspaper columns to indulge themselves. Incidentally, if she felt so victimised by these incidents she had the evidence to ensure prosecutions (her video footage). She chose to shrug it off at the time and is only telling the stories now to jump on the victim bandwagon.

That you didn't seek out these stories but happened across them multiple times says more about the echo chamber you've created for yourself on social media than anything else tbh.

Individual men behaving badly is not evidence of a sexist system. It's evidence that some men are arseholes. Campaign and advocate as much as you like, you're never going to change that. There will always be arseholes (of both genders). As long as the law provides avenues for recourse when those individuals harm another, you have equality (arguably you already have superiority in this regard in Ireland since women can't be charged with certain crimes men can, are less likely to be prosecuted than men and receive more lenient sentences than men when convicted).

TBH, while I'd hope the most likely outcome of feminism in Ireland is the relatively harmless continued waste of (often public) money in the enrichment of professional misandrists and victims in the arts, media, the IWC, academia and the like, I think there's a very real potential for a backlash.

Our society already values women more than men. Mix the media's constant peddling of the feminist mantra "women are victims, men are to blame" to a society where young women have higher educational outcomes and career prospects than their male counterparts, an under-resourced public mental health service (and one that's largely staffed by those who view all problems through the myopic lens of feminism) and I think you're going to find that rather than planting the seeds of some matriarchal feminist utopia, you're instead creating a breeding ground for angry, disaffected young men who'll see women as their enemy.

Have just posted a response to a post which covers a lot of what you have here, but lets look at the final few paragraphs.

One, all those stories were front page on various sites such as the BBC News or Washington Post so if you think that is an echo chamber, it might say more about where you are getting your information than me.

There is no evidence that society values women more than men. Men still hold most positions of authority and are more likely to be well paid. Most of the prominent voices in the media (which you mistakenly suggest is entirely feminist focused) are men and the owners of the corporations which run them are too still more likely to be men. Most of them also of a conservative nature.

Your final message about a breeding ground for angry disaffected young men is a dangerous one and unfortunately one that I think has some basis in truth but unfortunately I think most of the motivation in this direction is coming from men (young and old) who see any advocacy or advancement for women as meaning that they are going to lose out is a similar 'anti-progression' narrative we have seen in those on the conservative side of other current affairs topics.
    And there are cohorts of young men who seemingly find solace in 'Incel' and 'MGTOW' chat rooms where they collectively blame women and feminism for the fears and failures they experience for no other reason than it is natural to have knocks and falls in life.

And while there is no question but that there are some women who do blame men and seek to be a victim in the same way but they, as a gender, seem to currently have found a way to be much more supportive towards each other and to form groups to help each other out than what we see happening amongst men.

As has been discussed before, there are several cases in which men could justifiably advocate for to see efforts and supports to help themselves and others from suffering or losing out but for the most part, at least on here, what we seem to see is that it is limited to blaming feminists for creating a society in which they are reaping all the benefits while the men are suffering and this is both incorrect and misguided.

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Making up inequity in sport when actually it's preferential treatment to help you to participate

How do you think your average gaelic football team from 1971 would compete with your average team from 2021? (ignoring current age difference obviously)?

I suspect that the modern day team would blow them off the park. And why is that? Because modern day teams have had the benefit of sustained investment in their game which has led to better facilities, better coaching, more participation and as consequence, higher quality.

Women will likely never compete directly with men in many sports because if the obvious physiological differences but that does not mean that they should not receive adequate supports to develop their game. Bear in mind, when men ploughed this furrow, they had the interest of the entire audience, now women are trying to attract attention in not only a split market but one where that market has been conditioned to watch mens sport. And bear in mind much of this sport evolved and developed with numerous government and business grants along the way.

I would not suggest that in all cases women and men get paid the same, revenue generate of course influences this, but I would suggest that there should be a much closer provision of facilities and respect than what currently exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

1 - The ERA has been 'in play' for 100 years. But feelings around the potential of being drafted in the 70's explained why it hadn't progressed before that or since? I'm not buying it. It does show up another relevant point which will be mentioned again later. Just because some women feel one way about something, that does not remove the right of other women to advocate that their gender have access to particular things or be treated a particular way.
    The 1st draft of the ERA was opposed by the vast majority of women in the 1920's so never got off the ground. It was revived in the '60's with the next wave of feminism. It was only at this stage, when it first garnered significant support by women that it was passed by congress and sent to the states for ratification. However, as people began to debate it, most women realised they would suffer from the "equality" it proposed (draft, divorce etc). As a result, it came to a dead end with nobody wanting. It has only been resurrected recently because of BS like #metoo and modern twitter/facebook idiocy.
    2 - Absolute nonsense to try to deflect in this way. Universities should have an obligation to provide at least an appropriate level of structure and facilities for sports programs so that those playing, male and female should optimise their potential with at the very least adequate facilities. Income from March madness used across a range of sports male and female. Should the mens soccer team be cut because they didn't raise the income for their teams participation? Or the golf team? Or whatever? And as for going with the sport being the great equalizer angle, why not abandon age group competitions then? Or why are there different weight categories in boxing and other sports? Surely if it is as such, put them all in to the same competition and let the cream rise to the top.
    Of course the "men's soccer team" suffer when they don't raise sufficient funds. You do realise that Rochdale don't have the same financial strength of Man City, and thus don't have the same facilities or purchasing power for player's? It's the same across all sports. The money comes from the fans and goes to the players/teams that fans support.

Abandon age groups? Are you crazy? You really want an 8-year-old on the same rugby pitch as a 25-year-old? For sports, there is always a distinction between age groups as the players body's are only developing. For adult sports, in the few areas where the size/weight of a player has a huge impact on the chance of a person being injured/killed by their opponent or can be used as a substitute for skill (such as boxing) they break it up into categories for that reason. But guess what, some categories make more money than others, and therefore there is more money to spend on that category. Again, within a club, the under's 10's will typically not have the same facilities, or money spent on them as the professional team.

Likewise, the children's age groups are considered an investment, as the hope is that some of those players will subsequently play for the professional side upon reaching adulthood and bring in a tonne of money. For example, the top premiership clubs in the UK will actually spend serious money headhunting, attracting and training the best kids.

But what you are proposing has nothing to do with any of this. What you are proposing is that the men financially support the women. So much for feminism :rolleyes:. Is that your ideal, that women should be supported financially by men? Maybe you proposing that, in exchange for this cash, that the women's team will perform the wifely duties for the men's team and iron their shirts?
    3 - The word Femicide is overused? WTF does that mean? Are these deaths or this violence not happening? Does the fact that Erdogan is reprehensible negate the fact that they had first signed the treaty but are no stepping away from it?
    Femicide is a political term made up by feminists. Tell me what is the male equivalent and why don't we ever hear it? Likewise, in the past few years, courtesy of the twitter generation (or twits as I like to call them) it is now applied to any killing of a woman by a man, whereas, if the word was to have any meaning, it would only apply to actions where a person is killing a woman because she is a woman, and not simply that they are killing a person who happens to be a woman.
    4 - Irrelevant as to what is discussed in relation to sentencing on AH. My point, and in the context of my post, was around whether or not women feel safe when going out and about and this story was another example of something which would make them feel less so. But way to deflect.
    But surely men should feel less safe than women, as they are subjected to far more violent crime than women, especially from strangers?
    5 - Do feminists target sex workers? Or what version of feminist? The same type that stands outside abortion clinics abusing people visiting them? As said above, just because some women behave in a certain way, that doesn't mean that all others should adjust their arguments to what is acceptable to such a group. Irrespective of this, it doesn't again override the way in which women (sex workers or otherwise) may have felt listening to someone seemingly suggesting if not an excuse then an explanation for someone for the act of seemingly targeting and killing women specifically.
    Of course feminists target sex workers! Have you been asleep for the past 20 years? After lengthy campaigns, an alliance with the nuns responsible for the brutal targeting and treatment of "unclean" women in previous decades and constant pressure on all political parties under the umbrella of feminism (only misogynists would oppose this), they eventually got the Sexual Offences Act (2017) Part 4 into law. All this despite every expert saying it would harm sex workers. All this despite every sex worker begging for it not to happen (the feminists ensured that nobody representing sex workers would be allowed participate in the shaping of the law). All this despite every intelligent person being able to see that this law would harm sex workers.

Result? Only 6 TDs voted against 3 abstained, making it one of the most supported pieces of legislation in history. However, less than 4 years later, there is no masking the facts that is having a huge negative impact on sex workers (as predicted by intelligent people) and campaigns are underway to repeal it. But the feminists won't back down.

If there is anything feminists hate more than men, it's female sex workers. To feminists, the idea that a woman would make a living giving pleasure to men is incomprehensible, terrifying and a betrayal to the sisterhood.
    6 - How many stories have you heard of a male journalist interrupting their report because of a dick being waved at them or telling them to have some of it? Throwing traffic cones or shouting in to the microphone is banter, doing something that you wouldn't do to a guy but would to a girl is cut and dried misogny. Even in cases where male journalists are targeted such as the sky guy with the sex toy on deadline day, that was done has a different context to the 'have some of that' tone that this female journalist experienced given the inherent fear (and most often experience) they have of being treated in this way.
    So it's just banter when it's a man, but it's bad if a woman? Again, you are really showing up your understanding of equality.
    Speaking of hijacking feminism, or the use of the word, your post does exactly that with the dismissal of articles, newspapers, journalists solely on the basis of your feeling about what it is or what it represents.
    It's got nothing to do with feelings. And that's the problem, - it should never have anything to do with "feelings". It is to do with logic and fact. Logic and facts may hurt your feelings, but that doesn't make them less true.
    To be honest, at this point, I'm annoyed I spent this long typing out a reply, I suspect you will discount it all by just saying you disagree. The entirety of my post as I outlined was to show that it isn't as simple as saying that women in 2021 no longer have anything to advocate for, I feel my post has shown that there are still things that fall under this category, your post has shown how difficult it can be for them to do so.
    But your post didn't show that. Your post contained nothing that showed something where women are disadvantaged simply because they are women. You took examples that apply equally (or even more so) to men, yet pretend that they only impact women.
    Can you give examples of what you mean by 'feminists hijack real problems or make up problems and try to use them for their own evil narrative'? so I have some idea what it is that is annoying you.
    Rape is not a women's issue. It is an issue for all people.
    Sexual assault is not a women's issue. It is an issue for all people.
    Domestic Violence is not a women's issue. It is an issue for all people.
    Murder is not a women's issue. It is an issue for all people.
    Assault is not a women's issue. It is an issue for all people.

The moment you take an issue that impacts everybody and make it an issue solely for one subset of people, you disregard all those not in that subset who are impacted by the issue. But worse than that, by focusing on that subset and only allowing people from that subset voice their opinion on the matter, you ensure that nothing will ever get done (and possibly get worse, such as with the sex workers).

• Advertisement

dotsman wrote: »
    The 1st draft of the ERA was opposed by the vast majority of women in the 1920's so never got off the ground. It was revived in the '60's with the next wave of feminism. It was only at this stage, when it first garnered significant support by women that it was passed by congress and sent to the states for ratification. However, as people began to debate it, most women realised they would suffer from the "equality" it proposed (draft, divorce etc). As a result, it came to a dead end with nobody wanting. It has only been resurrected recently because of BS like #metoo and modern twitter/facebook idiocy.
    You're proving here that it took women advocating for improvements in how they were viewed and treated to bring that even close to being added to the constitution, but calling the latest phase of this MS like metoo and social media.
    As with other currents affairs topics, I suspect if you were around in the 60's you'd have been telling those women to pipe down also in the same way the recent arguments against BLM were also used against MLK and others.
    Of course the "men's soccer team" suffer when they don't raise sufficient funds. You do realise that Rochdale don't have the same financial strength of Man City, and thus don't have the same facilities or purchasing power for player's? It's the same across all sports. The money comes from the fans and goes to the players/teams that fans support.

Abandon age groups? Are you crazy? You really want an 8-year-old on the same rugby pitch as a 25-year-old? For sports, there is always a distinction between age groups as the players body's are only developing. For adult sports, in the few areas where the size/weight of a player has a huge impact on the chance of a person being injured/killed by their opponent or can be used as a substitute for skill (such as boxing) they break it up into categories for that reason. But guess what, some categories make more money than others, and therefore there is more money to spend on that category. Again, within a club, the under's 10's will typically not have the same facilities, or money spent on them as the professional team.

Likewise, the children's age groups are considered an investment, as the hope is that some of those players will subsequently play for the professional side upon reaching adulthood and bring in a tonne of money. For example, the top premiership clubs in the UK will actually spend serious money headhunting, attracting and training the best kids.

But what you are proposing has nothing to do with any of this. What you are proposing is that the men financially support the women. So much for feminism :rolleyes:. Is that your ideal, that women should be supported financially by men? Maybe you proposing that, in exchange for this cash, that the women's team will perform the wifely duties for the men's team and iron their shirts?

So you see the argument for segregated age and weight groups and that the funding in to such is an investment recognizing that those participants are benefiting from money earned on the back of other groups but don't accept that womens teams should have adequate facilities with the money coming from the same pot?
    And you are still conflating this particular issue which happened in a college environment as opposed to a professional set up and as such their focus should be on optimizing the preparation of all participants, not effectively ignoring an entire gender.
    Femicide is a political term made up by feminists. Tell me what is the male equivalent and why don't we ever hear it? Likewise, in the past few years, courtesy of the twitter generation (or twits as I like to call them) it is now applied to any killing of a woman by a man, whereas, if the word was to have any meaning, it would only apply to actions where a person is killing a woman because she is a woman, and not simply that they are killing a person who happens to be a woman.
    That word was coined by someone who wanted to highlight that some women were being killed because they are women. We know that this happens. I don't see this word overused in any way like you seem to suggest it is. If you think there should be a comparable word for the killing of men, propose one, that is what Diana Russel did.
    But surely men should feel less safe than women, as they are subjected to far more violent crime than women, especially from strangers?
    Not necessarily. While more men are subjected to violent crime, they are also typically in a better position to put up resistance than your average woman.
    Of course feminists target sex workers! Have you been asleep for the past 20 years? After lengthy campaigns, an alliance with the nuns responsible for the brutal targeting and treatment of "unclean" women in previous decades and constant pressure on all political parties under the umbrella of feminism (only misogynists would oppose this), they eventually got the Sexual Offences Act (2017) Part 4 into law. All this despite every expert saying it would harm sex workers. All this despite every sex worker begging for it not to happen (the feminists ensured that nobody representing sex workers would be allowed participate in the shaping of the law). All this despite every intelligent person being able to see that this law would harm sex workers.

Result? Only 6 TDs voted against 3 abstained, making it one of the most supported pieces of legislation in history. However, less than 4 years later, there is no masking the facts that is having a huge negative impact on sex workers (as predicted by intelligent people) and campaigns are underway to repeal it. But the feminists won't back down.

If there is anything feminists hate more than men, it's female sex workers. To feminists, the idea that a woman would make a living giving pleasure to men is incomprehensible, terrifying and a betrayal to the sisterhood.
    A single bill, passed by 94 votes to 6 in a Dail of 160 seats does not exactly confirm that feminists hate sex workers. Advocates for such a bill would argue that they were doing so because of the exploitation suffered by many in that industry and so they would say, that they care more about them than those advocating that it be allowed to continue. I am not saying they are right, I have no doubt that there are some in the industry entirely by choice, but I also suspect that there are many who this is not the case for. In the Netherlands, where prostitution is legal, human trafficking's for that purpose is still a big problem.
    So it's just banter when it's a man, but it's bad if a woman? Again, you are really showing up your understanding of equality.
    Take your average run of the mill drunken banter, now add to that a scenario where one party is used to the other being excessive, taking it too far, being violent. Still think that things are equal?
    It's got nothing to do with feelings. And that's the problem, - it should never have anything to do with "feelings". It is to do with logic and fact. Logic and facts may hurt your feelings, but that doesn't make them less true.
    Who's talking about feelings?
    But your post didn't show that. Your post contained nothing that showed something where women are disadvantaged simply because they are women. You took examples that apply equally (or even more so) to men, yet pretend that they only impact women.
    Rape is not a women's issue. It is an issue for all people.
    Sexual assault is not a women's issue. It is an issue for all people.
    Domestic Violence is not a women's issue. It is an issue for all people.
    Murder is not a women's issue. It is an issue for all people.
    Assault is not a women's issue. It is an issue for all people.

The moment you take an issue that impacts everybody and make it an issue solely for one subset of people, you disregard all those not in that subset who are impacted by the issue. But worse than that, by focusing on that subset and only allowing people from that subset voice their opinion on the matter, you ensure that nothing will ever get done (and possibly get worse, such as with the sex workers)

What I have seen on Boards is many people getting aggrieved at any suggestion that problems be considered as something everyone must work on to fix. The #notallmen hashtag started trending on Twitter in parallel with Sarah Everards name as people looked to absolve themselves from the conversation.
    You say that these issues are for all people, but disagree that in an education environment, that the provision of equipment should be done more collectively which seems to be a selective position to take on that topic.

The way I view what a lot of women advocates have done is they have identified an issue for their gender, and decided to speak up, gain support, create a position and a voice and call for change. It took them nigh on 30 years to achieve this in terms of repealing the 8th in Ireland, but they did it. We have seen that as with civil rights in terms of race, significant progress was often only made when people finally managed to raise their voice to a level that everyone sat up and took notice.

And now, because they have been successful in their advocacy, others are targeting them and trying to undermine their right to do so. We saw it last summer with the 'All Lives Matter' response to BLM, where were the 'All Lives Matter' people when black people were being disenfranchised?
    I'm very suspect of people who only demand equality when they perceive that they might actually be about to lose out on something.

Advertisement