Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Feminism-Good for Society?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

dontmindme wrote: »
    There ya are now...the woman that has a problem with the word 'female' in describing females.

You you realise the bits in italics are quoted from other posters, so she didn't use the term herself?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

By women?

Have a look at the domestic violence figures and the proportion of victims who go on to report it. Men under report it a lot more than women.

You you realise the bits in italics are quoted from other posters, so she didn't use the term herself?

What term are you talking talking about?

What term are you talking talking about?

The one you indicated in the post I quoted.

Are you going to pretend you meant something different?

The one you indicated in the post I quoted.

Are you going to pretend you meant something different?

tbh I'm not sure I or you know what you're talking about.

• Advertisement

tbh I'm not sure I or you know what you're talking about.

Sure ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭anewme

There ya are now...the woman that has a problem with the word 'female' in describing females.

Oh dear.

Appropriate username! Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭anewme

How should I have replied? I mean that genuinely. It's hard for me to give a respectful reply to someone who just copy and pasted reams of red pill generalisations about women, including that women that who sleep with a man too soon have "no value" and that was also fairly derisory towards men who were the primary caregivers for their children. The latter view, that men are unsuitable caregivers, is one reason for why men have been treated unfairly in family law. If it was a well intentioned complaint about feminism then I either would have respectfully replied or not replied at all. I'm sorry I didn't exert more energy towards a comment that can basically be summed up as "feminism has made women sluts that don't have value as human beings".

When you read views like those expressed by that poster, it sums up why feminism is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Women care about men's futures and men care about women's pasts.
    A man who wants judge what kind of woman he is getting involved in just has took at her parents and her sexual history.
    That's what Harry didn't do to his cost.

Women judge a man first and foremost on whether he can provide for her and their future children and women always marry up not down.

College educated wealthy women are competing wirh each other for men with higher incomes and the more successful women are the less and less suitable men there are.

Men don't care how wealthy or successful women are.

They just want to know she isn't a psycho she hasn't already been pumped and dumped by the crew of a battleship and she is giving birth to their kids and not a guy on the side.

That's it

People on here have asked what do Irish women want in 2021?

I'm guessing one thing might be that potential partners not consider their previous relationships in this manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

How should "real men" behave?

With respect and manners in all interactions.

I would always argue that the vast majority of Men already behave like that.
    Unfortunately there are enough at*eholes that are making life difficult.
    Considering the amount of women saying sexual harassment is a problem, then I don't see how it can be simply brushed aside. It is a societal.
    I don't have answers but an honest debate is a good starting point.

• Advertisement

anewme wrote: »
    When you read views like those expressed by that poster, it sums up why feminism is needed.

You think someone who is opposed to women going around with their genitalia on view is a misogynist. If that's your idea of feminism then god help us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

How should "real men" behave?

They shouldn't need to think they are tough and hard, that their fists and dominance are the only way to solve problems or make them look good.
    They should not be afraid to express fear, sadness and anxiety but society has conditioned men to hold their emotions in and it's probably why suicides in men is higher than women.
    They don't have to be the breadwinner, that staying at home and minding the kids is not a sign of weakness. No more big boys don't cry.

We need to stop judging men and men need to stop judging themselves.

spookwoman wrote: »
    They shouldn't need to think they are tough and hard, that their fists and dominance are the only way to solve problems or make them look good.
    They should not be afraid to express fear, sadness and anxiety but society has conditioned men to hold their emotions in and it's probably why suicides in men is higher than women.
    They don't have to be the breadwinner, that staying at home and minding the kids is not a sign of weakness. No more big boys don't cry.

We need to stop judging men and men need to stop judging themselves.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

You think someone who is opposed to women going around with their genitalia on view is a misogynist. If that's your idea of feminism then god help us all.

Mod: Finding it hard to believe you're not trolling here. Wind it in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

To be fair when I see someone, nearly always a man, referring to women as "females" I"m pretty sure what is going to follow is some as usual imported from the US of A gender identity ballsology. When I see a post with "men" and "females" in the same post I'm near guaranteed of it.It's just as daft and divisive as the similarly imported from the US of A gender identity ballsology that is much of modern "feminism".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    To be fair when I see someone, nearly always a man, referring to women as "females" I"m pretty sure what is going to follow is some as usual imported from the US of A gender identity ballsology. When I see a post with "men" and "females" in the same post I'm near guaranteed of it.It's just as daft and divisive as the similarly imported from the US of A gender identity ballsology that is much of modern "feminism".

To be fair, your association with the term 'female' with gender identity politics is completely your own business. Are you arguing that the word has lost all meaning?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm arguing that using the word "females" instead of the word "women" is a recently(last five years or so) imported cultural American thing that has a habit of setting out the stall of those using it and is most found around gender identity stuff.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Female is biological, woman is sociological.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is real feminism fighting the oppressive regime and it's tools https://twitter.com/AlinejadMasih/status/1370747101236363268?s=20

vriesmays wrote: »
    Female is biological, woman is sociological.
    I'd not agree with that. Female is a catch all for one gender across different species, woman is the term for human females. In any event it's less about the minutiae of the terms, but more that certain identity politics US loanword terms(and not just "females" in place of "women") tend to be more and more used in discourse and it tends to flag the worldviews involved. Plus I get ever more tired of imported terms from the idiotic end of American politics and culture. We really need to stop importing their nonsense.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd not agree with that. Female is a catch all for one gender across different species, woman is the term for human females. In any event it's less about the minutiae of the terms, but more that certain identity politics US loanword terms(and not just "females" in place of "women") tend to be more and more used in discourse and it tends to flag the worldviews involved. Plus I get ever more tired of imported terms from the idiotic end of American politics and culture. We really need to stop importing their nonsense.

With all due respect, this association you seem to have is purely your own subjective experience. Do I really need to qualify the word 'female' now just because it has been forever more in your mind been hi-jacked by identity politics in the US??

The conversation was about humans so no need to conflate the discussion bringing other 'species'. To be fair, it wasn't a zoological discussion we were having.

You're completely missing the point by a country mile, but let's agree to disagree and move on.

biko wrote: »
    This is real feminism fighting the oppressive regime and it's tools https://twitter.com/AlinejadMasih/status/1370747101236363268?s=20

That's an interesting choice of tweet and words. The words imply that anything which isn't fighting such abhorrent repression is less worthy and is in some cases can be dismissed outright for not it not being as extreme an example.

This tweet shows just one of the ways in which women in western society can feel that there are still local issues that require attention.

https://twitter.com/stackee/status/1370845692974014480

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

That's an interesting choice of tweet and words. The words imply that anything which isn't fighting such abhorrent repression is less worthy and is in some cases can be dismissed outright for not it not being as extreme an example.

This tweet shows just one of the ways in which women in western society can feel that there are still local issues that require attention.

https://twitter.com/stackee/status/1370845692974014480

Your apologism for that vigil and your condemnation of the anti lockdown protests says a lot, the police were right in both instances but ofcourse you feel theyre different because it suits your agenda

TMH's post isn't even about feminism nor is his/her linked tweet about feminism, it's about an arrested person who happens to be female at a vigil for a woman who was murdered.

Your apologism for that vigil and your condemnation of the anti lockdown protests says a lot, the police were right in both instances but ofcourse you feel theyre different because it suits your agenda

What to you think the poster who I responded to was doing?
    What are you doing right now only contributing from a viewpoint of your own agenda?

Pretty incredible to call support for a vigil after a woman has been murdered and a police officer charged with her death as apologism when police officers have broken it up and arrested some of those attending.

Whether it's about lockdown, or climate, I am burdened with taking advice from those educated, qualified and experienced in such matters. Who influences your views on these matters?

biko wrote: »
    TMH's post isn't even about feminism nor is his/her linked tweet about feminism, it's about an arrested person who happens to be female at a vigil for a woman who was murdered.

Nothing in western culture justifies feminism in the eyes of some in 2021. It's all a very much 'they have enough, what more could they want' type of approach.

Interesting that you were against protests in support of BLM in Ireland and the UK because they are irrelevant there and many more people who hold similar positions to you are against protests in Ireland calling for action on climate issues because it doesn't matter unless China and India do something, but here you are using examples from outside the region to deflect from support for an ideal locally.

The National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC) told forces across England and Wales on Friday that they could not waive lockdown guidance banning gatherings for Sarah Everard.

So you have angry women, understandably, not obeying the covid restrictions.
    That is not ok as all the relatives of Sarah won't even be able to attend her funeral, but people that don't even know her can gather?

Women defy crowd bans in UK to mourn Sarah Everard
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/women-defy-crowd-bans-in-uk-to-mourn-sarah-everard-1.4509897

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

At this stage, you really need to qualify your argument with the generation of feminism.

By modern feminism, do you mean Third-Wave Feminism?

But fun-facts! The Swiss didn't let women vote until 1973.

At the end of the day, it should be an ecumenical matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

What to you think the poster who I responded to was doing?
    What are you doing right now only contributing from a viewpoint of your own agenda?

Pretty incredible to call support for a vigil after a woman has been murdered and a police officer charged with her death as apologism when police officers have broken it up and arrested some of those attending.

Whether it's about lockdown, or climate, I am burdened with taking advice from those educated, qualified and experienced in such matters. Who influences your views on these matters?

it was a protest that was denied a permit because it violates covid lockdown rules, pretending that the police were present or using force for any other reason than this is arguing in bad faith. they arrested a covid restrictions violator who kicked off at them , gender and the topic of the protest are immaterial.

Advertisement