Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Digital/paper! Certs, the Megathread - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's a number of Android apps to read in and display the QR code and associated data. Search for Green Pass in the play store and you'll find loads. I've used this one ...

I understand that the Covid tracker app will be updated soon to include that functionality, although why on earth the EU hasn't developed a standard app for this I don't know.

Also incredibly annoyed at the layout / formatting issue that means you can't fold it in half at the right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭corkie

Thanks for the link.

As a test, I scanned the QR Code photo on my phone, with that page and created a wallet.

Then used "WalletPasses | Passbook Wallet" app on android.

^^^ https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.walletpasses.android

The process extract the full details of the pass, both Code and Information from within the fold.

Anyone else having problems scanning the QR Code, test it on that site?

Also 'Covid Tracker' app, should have a wallet feature added soon.

But I don't want that app on my phone.

Covid tracker app will be able to store EU Digital Covid Cert

^^^ https://www.thejournal.ie/covid-tracker-app-eu-digital-cert-5493722-Jul2021/

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭carveone

Thanks for the Covid19Passbook link too - I found it really interesting. Ireland produced a set of test certs a few months ago (https://github.com/eu-digital-green-certificates/dgc-testdata/tree/main/IE) and I tried one of those and it works ok.

The EU developed a set of libraries and example apps for Android and iPhone a good while ago and put them on github. I suppose they didn't develop a "Standard EU app" because each country might want to customise their apps and languages to various extents.

I used the EU specification and linux gstreamer to produce a rather hacked together pile of Python on my Linux laptop to test with. The QR code is quite dense and subject to errors if you smudge it or spill ketchup on it or something. So it's quite possible that a poorly taken smartphone photo will cause issues. Which is why that website is so useful. You get a valid and verified cert on your phone from the paper, it's very neat.

Using my own webcam and my smartphone, I found it a bit tricky to get a clean grab from my phone. Because I can see what the camera is seeing, I can see how reflections on the phone surface screw things up. As soon as I tilted the phone to eliminate those, gstreamer (with the "zbar" addon if the geeks are interested!) could read the QR code. In my opinion, a phone and a laminated cert will have the same reflection issues; a high quality cert will be the same as a phone (as Calibos has said before). And rubadub's suggestion is valid - use a matt finish label if you have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Don't laminate it.

There's talk about graphic designers being contacted to create up fake certs by people. Now that could be all garbage but it's out there. So why on earth would you do something to a legimate cert that could make people think its fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You've visited every care home in the world and verified for yourself that none of them have this rule? 'Coz I don't see how else you could possibly know this.

My mother-in-law's care home has such a rule. Obviously, I am in a better position to know this than you are so if you're going to contradict me you need to have a better argument than that you don't want to believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So it's true. More of a reason not to mess around with a real one.

Just did a test and laminated my wife's cert, haven't got mine yet, and it scanned using the app I have on my android phone without any issues at all. Sounds like scaremongering to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭carveone

Those are the vaccination records given to you by the doctor or the vaccination centre, not the digital certs. One could sort of fake a digital cert if you have the same name as someone else and a believable age (the DCC contains DOB, name and your name in a "passport format").

Doesn't surprise me that people are doing this. Israel's QR code contained just the plain text vaccination information so people were faking them to beat the band. Still, it mostly worked out ok for them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I certainly haven't done anything to a legitimate cert. Mine was emailed to me in PDF format so I can just print off another one if the laminated one was unreadable. However, Aluns post above where he laminated his wifes cert and test scanned it without issue seems to bear out my theory from my earlier post where its probably low contrast poor quality draft prints or prints where the printer ink is running out combined with lamination that are problematic, whereas a high quality high contrast print will be perfectly scannable even if laminated.

I just did my fathers and a neighbours GP posted certs. I scanned and copied the originals and laminated the copies and gave them back the originals untouched.

Why Laminate it at all?? Well when you own a laminator you'll find any excuse to laminate something!! 🤣🤣

Joking aside, For those without Smartphones to Digitally store the QCode or those who's phone battery died, it'd be advisable to have the hard copy paper backup with them at all times. (Who knows when you decide to have a sneaky pint) If they never got an emailed PDF version that they can re-print unlimited times, the original or indeed a copy creased inside a wallet in a sweaty pocket or handbag with mascara and blush rubbing off onto the bare page will risk rendering them unreadable right when you need it. Laminating a High Quality High Contrast Copy seems a good solution.

I know I'm over-thinking it and really just trying to rationalise using my Laminator!! 🤣🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Anyone that got their 2nd vaccine last weekend got their cert yet, I was done on Sunday but have received nothing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Same time as me Sunday, but as I won't be fully vaccinated for another 10 days I thought I'd give them that long.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

i thought that didnt matter as the date was on it

I had my second vaccination on Monday and don't have mine yet. It's unclear to me whether they're issuing them as soon as possible after the second vaccination, or waiting until the period has elapsed for whichever vaccination you have before you're considered fully vaccinated.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If you get Pfizer you are not fully vaccinated until 7 days after your second jab so maybe after that 7 days they will issue to you.

Just noticed that the Android version of the Covid tracker app has just been updated to allow you to scan your QR code.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Maureen O G

I too was frustrated with incorrect layout for A4. If you print onto A3 page it prints nice and tidy & can be trimmed down to a nice, neat, manageable size! Don’t resize or use any other options just print as original size.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭andy1249

Tried to get to this link on my iphone , you end up on a pure trash site bombarding you with scams ...... beware

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭andy1249

Doh ! ..... scratch that ..... forgot to add the forward slash at the end .....if you forget that you get a spam page ..... nicely in my wallet now

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭hcoben111

I am a HCW and was vaccinated early January. Colleagues who received the vaccine in the same batch as me received their digital certs but I have yet to receive mine. Does anyone know who I could contact regarding this issue to confirm they have correct details etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Just put my mums onto into the covid app, simple, gives her details so you know they are right. I photocopied her paper cert and scanned it onto my phone using the copy, that worked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭lalipule

Here is a digital cert helpline. 1 800 851 504. It is supposed to be operational from 19th but you can ring them this week as well. Just a heads up, it make take a while before someone will pickup the phone. I called them this week to find out if they even have my vaccination records, and it turned out that my gp didn't provide it yet due to lack of access to vaccination portal. It looks like the certificates are issues based on a presence of data in central database. Which is feed by different sources. Public vaccination portal, gps (depending what system gp is using since there is no universal one), hse, pharmacies. So in your case it may be that hse didn't upload your details to the central database hence there's no data available to produce the certificate. It is frustrating but I guess the cyber attack didn't help in the whole situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

My other half is also a health care worker, same situation in that she was fully vaccinated ages ago but now the system says she only has a single vaccine. She's tried the helpline a number of times but it's pretty useless. Vaccinated at St. Vincent's in Dublin which no longer does the vaccinations so can't even go back to the source! There doesn't seem to be anybody else to contact?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

But you’re only able to scan a printed copy it seems. I had my cert emailed as a PDF and now have to print it so that I can scan it back into my phone. Surely they could have added the ability to import the PDF or a sceengrab.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Lemon Davis lll

You would think there should be provision to have the call centre staff immediately email your cert to you if you haven't received it and are imminently due to travel, once you've established your identity. But no, they can only request a reissue and cannot advise when you'll receive it.

Given Revenues involvement, it should surely also be accessible via ROS / My Account

You can display the QR code on another device such as another phone, tablet or PC and scan that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I'm gonna print mine on A1 and wrap it around me like a cloak :D

(I assume you meant A5)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

2 days ago I quoted you and said I tested at the same time, no cert yet and that I didn't really expect it. Well it arrived in my inbox this morning.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement