Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Digital/paper! Certs, the Megathread - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

I didn't delete my post - can you not see it at all? I can see it myself - this is it copied:

I haven't got mine yet - got vaccinated at GPs so have to wait to get it in the post but I did laminate it for a couple of colleagues at work. Then, last night, a local County Councillor posted on their social media that it can't be scanned if it's laminated. If a QR code can be scanned from your phone, why would it not work if laminated?

If we do need to carry them around, they are going to get pretty tatty and those who got it by email can at least re-print, people who get them by post would have to scan and then print - easy for me but not perhaps for older people or anyone without access to a scanner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

OK back again. Also noticed that when I post in this thread my post appears twice then when I refresh its sorted out.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

who is going to scan you cert exactly? you know its not going to be tolerated by restaurants and pub owners. and rightly so. its absolute nonsense. its discriminatory and totally unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

On my i phone .I read about a link on The Journal yesterday how to get it in my wallet .I will try to find it again for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well, you might find that it becomes useful if you want to visit your aged relatives in retirement homes, for example. Or if you want to travel to another country, you may find that they want evidence of vaccination.

You may consider demanding evidenced of vaccination status to be discriminatory and totally unacceptable, but you would be foolish to assume that everyone you deal with in every circumstance will take the same view. And what they think will, in the end, determine how they treat you; not what you think.

so having the cert in your wallet means you don't have the covid virus now? that you're in the clear, that you cant pass on the virus. C'mon man..give us a break. its ridiculous at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Got mine this morning, specifically stated do not laminate. Not worth the hassle that could ensue if something were to go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Isn't this just a QR code - it can simply be screenshotted and stored in your gallery, your email, whatever, it doesn't matter where you have it. I can't see why laminating would be a problem other than that the shininess might cause problems for readers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Ta. Scanned code ok and reporting correct info, but when i click on add to wallet nothing happens......

Edit: Works with Safari, not Chrome

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

If it's just a QR code you can take a picture of that on your phone and show that. I also see no reason why it couldn't be laminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No, but it means your chance of being infectious is very much lower. And retirement homes who actually care about the welfare of their vulnerable residents might reasonably think that's something they should pay attention to.

It has always been the case that in order to visit my 96-year old mother-in-law in her retirement home, I have to show that I have received this year's flu vaccine. I expect that they will take the same view with regard to Covid vaccination. Why wouldn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I got the email version and laminated mine. Turns out on the cover letters for the pre-printed posted versions it says its not advised to laminate them.

TBH though thats probably to cover lowest common denominators so to speak. ie. someone laminating a faded low contrast one because their printer was running out of ink or they used ‘Draft’ printer settings. Combine poorly printed low contrast prints with the glare in oblique light off the laminate and its probably hit and miss for the scanner cameras.

However, I’d imagine a well printed high contrast one is probably fine in any light. After all, a Qcode can be scanned from a phone screen even with a ‘laminate’ screen protector. Why? Because a Qcode on the screen is guaranteed to be high contrast.

i’ll tell you what triggered my OCD about the emailed PDF versions though. Its not formatted correctly for an A4 page. Fold it in half as instructed and a line of text and half the logo appear on the wrong side of the fold. You have to fold it about 1.5cm off the horizontal center-line to keep all logos and text on the correct pages. Its nothing to do with ‘stretch to fit’ printer format settings. Just poorly formatted in the PDF itself. Amateur hour tbh.

My father got his one in the post as he was vaccinated by his GP. Those ones are formatted correctly and can be folded exactly along the center-lines.

Post edited by Calibos on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Some people got a pdf version emailed to them, not me, but I've seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Can you not just scan them into the standard covid app?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You know that's not what it's for right? If you're vaccinated the risk to you and the risk to others who are vaccinated is significantly reduced vs. those who haven't been vaccinated.

Unless you think people think the cert has magical properties like the stone I have that keeps tigers away? (0 Tiger attacks in my neighborhood).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,204 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Discriminatory, just like the prohibition against under 18's drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Anyone’s QR code showing “no usable data found” when scanned ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

I used this link and a screenshot to import to walletpasses on android ,ios has a default pass app I think

gotthe link of fergal bowers twitter feed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Same, looks like it's designed to be read by an App with a specific data structure expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

It's only illegal to sell alcohol to under 18s. Or serve it on public property. And AFAIK a parent can give alcohol to a child over 2. I am vaccinated and I am disgusted at this non vaxxed can't dine indoors nonsense. Indoors where unvaxxed people work and unvaxxed children will be allowed dine so social distance will be in place. It is absolutely discrimination.

that's complete bull and you know it. its never been mandatory to have a flu jab to visit a carehome.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Need to read it with a proper QR code reader app, phones just throw out gibberish

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The irony of you calling it ridiculous. Ludicrous stuff, utterly clueless...

"who is going to scan you cert exactly? you know its not going to be tolerated by restaurants and pub owners"

you should get onto paddy powers, I reckon you could win a fortune if you predict no pubs or restaurants here are going to scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Apparently next week the Covid App will be updated and it can be stored within that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Its not just a QR reader app, I think the QR needs a special program behind it as the information is so sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

I would laminate one copy and see who accepts it.And keep one "paper" copy handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They are probably presuming a shiny laminate will be too reflective, not all laminates or protective covers are shiny though. I have clear address labels which have a matt finish, you need only really cover the QR code bit if worried about it being unreadable.

Advertisement