Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Digital/paper! Certs, the Megathread - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,433 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

biko wrote: »
    EU will push it onto private companies to enforce contagion containment.
    Those companies will want to standardise and will choose some sort of passport.
    EU will say "it's the private companies that wants passports, not us."

So why do 3000 people only need a negative lateral test from the last 24 hours to attend an event in Liverpool today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

So why do 3000 people only need a negative lateral test from the last 24 hours to attend an event in Liverpool today?

Not sure we can compare to non EU nations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

Not sure we can compare to non EU nations

everyone is watching the UK, even if they claim not to be, and introduce similar measures after the UK litmus test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

arccosh wrote: »
    everyone is watching the UK, even if they claim not to be, and introduce similar measures after the UK litmus test

Very true, next few weeks over there will help make the roadmap for many nations including us.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

How are people proving they've been Vaccinated now, is it the little thing with your name and dob on it that you are given with your jab. Just thinking that not everyone has or knows how to use a smart phone and this digital passport will be downloaded via an app. Will countries accept the paper version. Big debate in the US over privacy concerns too
    TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    How are people proving they've been Vaccinated now, is it the little thing with your name and dob on it that you are given with your jab. Just thinking that not everyone has or knows how to use a smart phone and this digital passport will be downloaded via an app. Will countries accept the paper version. Big debate in the US over privacy concerns too
    TIA
    You can do the negative PCR for travel and there's no reason that will change. The digital version will not be available until July anyway and a lot of people will not have access to it for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,219 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Because, as with the event in Barcelona a few weeks ago,it is being run to establish a baseline for transmissibility in such environments. If the outcome is positive, it supports the reopening of nightclubs and other venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I had my first shot of Pfizer at my GP's last Friday and I get my 2nd dose on 28th May. When do you receive the passport or do you have to download an app and input your PPS number to digitally get verified as being fully vaccinated?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I had my first shot of Pfizer at my GP's last Friday and I get my 2nd dose on 28th May. When do you receive the passport or do you have to download an app and input your PPS number to digitally get verified as being fully vaccinated?

C'mon dudes this is a valid question, I never got a card confirming I've had my first dose and I'm due to get the second on 28th. I've not registered through the portal as my GP done it. How do people who have had it done at their GP's get verified as vaccinated. Like I was in and out the door the surgery was that busy that I didn't get time to ask about the verification.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

C'mon dudes this is a valid question, I never got a card confirming I've had my first dose and I'm due to get the second on 28th. I've not registered through the portal as my GP done it. How do people who have had it done at their GP's get verified as vaccinated. Like I was in and out the door the surgery was that busy that I didn't get time to ask about the verification.

It hasn’t been defined yet how it will source the data but I suspect the app will feed off the HSE vaccine database, like you say maybe via PPS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

As far as I’m aware you will get a card when you are fully vaccinated. I was told told that when I got my first vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A slightly dramatic piece summarising the status of the vaccine passport - it doesn't look all that unified.

With agreement between the EU's member states still elusive on a bloc-wide digital scheme, the risk is that travellers will end up having to navigate a mishmash of different credentials offered by the various member states.

https://www.voanews.com/covid-19-pandemic/eu-agreement-vaccine-passports-remains-elusive

• Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭josip

is_that_so wrote: »
    A slightly dramatic piece summarising the status of the vaccine passport - it doesn't look all that unified.

https://www.voanews.com/covid-19-pandemic/eu-agreement-vaccine-passports-remains-elusive

Taoiseach Micheál Martin has also expressed concerns about the continent being divided along a fault line of vaccinated haves and unvaccinated have-nots, limiting the freedom of people who have not yet received a vaccine.

So Micheal would prefer to limit everyone's freedom instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,433 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

josip wrote: »
    So Micheal would prefer to limit everyone's freedom instead.

Maybe read it again, what it says and what you think it says are two totally different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The article jumps around the place a bit. It says agreement is elusive and then in the next paragraph says that the EU has already approved a bloc-wide scheme.

There's a level of propaganda in VOA, it would seek to downplay the issue of vaccine passports since the US has specifically ruled them out. So it would like to make them look difficult and/or pointless.

Any vaccine cert in the EU will operate much like a driving licence; each EU member will issue their own certificates along an agreed format which is then automatically accepted across the union. There is no need for the EU to co-ordinate it or for national databases to be knitted together.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

If it becomes the case that you have to had a vaccine to travel or get on a plane (as opposed to a negative test or a vaccine), then we'll all be in trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Sorry if this has been covered but anyone know what will the situation be for young babies/infants who will be travelling after the vaccine travel certs? They obviously won't receive a vaccine and hardly need to go through testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Sorry if this has been covered but anyone know what will the situation be for young babies/infants who will be travelling after the vaccine travel certs? They obviously won't receive a vaccine and hardly need to go through testing?

Yes, I imagine they will be waved through!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

Was reading up on this last weekend cause hoping to go away in August. When the Digital green certificate now renamed to EU Covid-19 certificate comes in, it will be in Digital Format, and paper format will also be available in order not to discriminate against disabilities or for guardians of children.

In order to get the cert, you will need to either be vaccinated, negative PCR (72hr) or Antigen (24hr) test. The paper will hold basic info and have a QR code. So I would imagine that children will need a negative Antigen test.......but no where could I find on the Europa website what their definition for child is, as in is a 6mt old, 6yr old and 12yr old all treated the same.

I would hardly think they would make infants have the test (INMHO)

PS Antigen test will need to be carried out by a Medical Professional, we just can't rock up to the Airport with our Lidl ones (even though the ones in Lidl are on the approved list AFAIK)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mafitz

Just Reading on a UK site that the NHS Covid Tracker now gives people details of their Vaccination, if fully vaccinated or just one jab etc. Essentially a Covid Passport. Should the HSE follow suit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The EU travel passport will cover this, single app for the entire EU and will allow for vaccination OR recent test result

The UK NHS app shows the vaccinations (and is a general purpose health services app in the UK) the NHS Covid-19 tracking app is separate. We the EU is doing the exact same thing except across 27 countries with a single app which make a lot more sense to avoid hassles at borders. The EEA countries will likely be offered to get onboard also

• Registered Users Posts: 10,219 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The EU travel passport will cover this, single app for the entire EU and will allow for vaccination OR recent test result

The UK NHS app shows the vaccinations (and is a general purpose health services app in the UK) the NHS Covid-19 tracking app is separate. We the EU is doing the exact same thing except across 27 countries with a single app which make a lot more sense to avoid hassles at borders. The EEA countries will likely be offered to get onboard also

I think the apps are generated by each country but must conform to specifications from Brussels including a QR code. BSed on everything I’ve read to date there is not a single app due to subsidiaries/national competence issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Haven't heard about a single app being used but sounds very smart, exact same layout, faster design and reduced cost. Let the individual countries handle the backend work to load statuses etc

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Young babies and infants - under 1 years of age are at a much higher risk of covid complications than other kids. Its thought their immune system only becomes strong enough to brush it off after 1 years of age.

If you have kids under 1 travel is a risk for them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The NHS app doesn't really prove anything much though, and certainly not in any way which wouldn't be simple to take a screenshot of and make some minor edits and have as a photo on your phone to show to anyone who may ask. There is no way for the third party to verify what it is showing, and as other medical information is shown on other screens in the app I certainly wouldn't be handing the phone over for anyone else to have a look around at to see if the app was genuine or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭plodder

robinph wrote: »
    The NHS app doesn't really prove anything much though, and certainly not in any way which wouldn't be simple to take a screenshot of and make some minor edits and have as a photo on your phone to show to anyone who may ask. There is no way for the third party to verify what it is showing, and as other medical information is shown on other screens in the app I certainly wouldn't be handing the phone over for anyone else to have a look around at to see if the app was genuine or not.
    I don't know about the NHS app, but the EU one (which can just be a paper cert as well) will have a QR code that can be scanned and checked online to be authentic. You would have to check the name with separate photo-id then. But, if you are prepared to show the cert to someone, then I don't see why the EU would restrict that person's ability to do the verification then. It seems pretty straightforward for international travel at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭votecounts

Will people be able to use a paper based one, thinking of some people who may not have a smartphone , etc. Think I remember reading that there was option of a paper based one.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

votecounts wrote: »
    Will people be able to use a paper based one, thinking of some people who may not have a smartphone , etc. Think I remember reading that there was option of a paper based one.

Paper based will be available on request. Personally, I will need to request a paper based cert for my 2 kids who will need to have a negative antigen test to travel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

plodder wrote: »
    I don't know about the NHS app, but the EU one (which can just be a paper cert as well) will have a QR code that can be scanned and checked online to be authentic. You would have to check the name with separate photo-id then. But, if you are prepared to show the cert to someone, then I don't see why the EU would restrict that person's ability to do the verification then. It seems pretty straightforward for international travel at least.

The UK one is just a page showing the date of vaccination, which one and the batch number. No QR codes or anything that a third party could reference back to confirm the text on the page is genuine.

Advertisement