Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Was there anything after this? If not, it hasn't changed since original restrictions.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40260068.html

Kramer wrote: »
    Selectively quoting parts that suit you, to mislead.
    You'd make a great politician :D.

The law hasn't changed with regard to attending a dental or medical appointment. It need not be "essential", probably much to your chagrin.

Just like the blurring of advice & laws last year, just like the politicians & media referring to the digital green cert as a vaccination cert now, on & on it will go.
    Just like mushrooms, keep 'em in the dark & feed them bullsh1t.

Once again, I'm currently outside the country having travelled. I have, constantly if you care to read the full thread, been against travel restrictions.

I'm big enough to admit I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭acequion

Correct and incorrect.

The law is not stating an appointment is acceptable. It was changed a while ago. Almost certain it was discussed here as well at the time by myself and a few others

You need to make yourselves clearer and stop giving the impression, deliberately or otherwise, that you know something the rest of us don't.

What precisely do you mean by "changed a while ago"? Is what was quoted earlier on this thread direct from citizens information not the law currently in place? If not, when was it changed, how was it changed and send us the link please?

acequion wrote: »
    You need to make yourselves clearer and stop giving the impression, deliberately or otherwise, that you know something the rest of us don't.

What precisely do you mean by "changed a while ago"? Is what was quoted earlier on this thread direct from citizens information not the law currently in place? If not, when was it changed, how was it changed and send us the link please?

Apologies, I have muddied the water it seems. I was certain it was changed but it seems not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Apologies, I have muddied the water it seems....

Only doing your job then ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Apologies, I have muddied the water it seems. I was certain it was changed but it seems not.

There was some chatter from the talking heads in government about updating it to essential dentistry or some similar ****e. It appears they didn't follow through though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭acequion

Well thanks for clarifying. I think you gave us all quite a fright.:eek:

There was some chatter from the talking heads in government about updating it to essential dentistry or some similar ****e. It appears they didn't follow through though.

It really is incredible the lengths they're prepared to go to to lock us all in. They didn't follow through probably because they couldn't. They certainly would if they could and they might yet. Remember the collective sigh of relief when we thought the EU and US would be saved from prison. And the collective horror the following week when they got it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Has anyone travelled to care for a relative? I need to go back to the UK to look after my mum for a week at the end of May. Just wondering if I have to provide proof of that and if so what kind of proof is needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Has anyone travelled to care for a relative? I need to go back to the UK to look after my mum for a week at the end of May. Just wondering if I have to provide proof of that and if so what kind of proof is needed?

If she has a social worker then get them to send you a letter (email will do) or get her doctor to send you a letter. The doctor might charge for writing a letter.

I had both and a load more (PoA documents and bills) but wasn't stopped at all.

Also called local garda station and explained to them and asked what proof I needed. Was told to say that I called them first if non of the emails arrived in time.

Travelled by car ferry.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

If she has a social worker then get them to send you a letter (email will do) or get her doctor to send you a letter. The doctor might charge for writing a letter.

I had both and a load more (PoA documents and bills) but wasn't stopped at all.

Also called local garda station and explained to them and asked what proof I needed. Was told to say that I called them first if non of the emails arrived in time.

Travelled by car ferry.

Great, thanks.

• Advertisement

I have booked a border town for the weekend that they reopen. My thought process is I dont really care while south of the border as I will just tell them I am visiting a grave.

I guess I would be slightly more nervous of the PSNI and their approach as it would be somewhat alien to me. My plan if stopped on the Northern side is to say I am Donegal bound.

PSNI don't stop anyone. I wouldn't worry about them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Lying to the Guards and Police? Don't travel if you don't have a valid reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

eltonyio wrote: »
    Tens of thousands of Irish reg cars drive in and out of the North and around the main border towns on a daily basis. You'll be fine and won't even be noticed, even if it was a legal problem for them (I'm not sure if it would be or not anyway in their jurisdiction but I doubt it). You could live in the republic and legitimately be crossing the border going to a shop, a chemist, a medical appointment, work, or any other number of reasons, which is done by thousands daily, so the PSNI won't bother you at all.

I second that.
    I had a business in Co Down for 10 years and the people there were lovely and very welcoming.
    The fact that I hailed from Dublin never hindered me either socially or professionally.

I too will be using Belfast airport early June for an unhindered one months breakaway to Spain.
    There is no way I’d be flying outbound or return via Dublin airport while this fine is in place and MHQ could change at anytime and effect the return from your European country location.

PCR out (if required by the host country) and PCR return at Belfast airport . Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

saabsaab wrote: »
    Don't travel if you don't have a valid reason.

I doubt many travel internationally, without a reason. I certainly wouldn't be in the habit of travelling somewhere, for nothing :pac:.

Determining what "valid" or "reasonable" reasons are - that's up to the person travelling. As long as they are responsible & are either vaccinated, have recovered naturally from the bug or have a negative test, then have a good flight, enjoy the Sangria & don't forget the sunscreen :D.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Examiner is reporting august as when non essential travel will be permitted; 2 months after the EU cert will be introduced.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Corholio wrote: »
    Was there anything after this? If not, it hasn't changed since original restrictions.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40260068.html

Nope and there was never any hope of him being able to do so

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

My valid reason is to get out of this kip and get some sunshine for mental health reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Who is lying? There are enough exemptions so you don’t have to lie?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Hellrazer wrote: »
    My valid reason is to get out of this kip and get some sunshine for mental health reasons.

Plenty of sunshine coming up over the next few days
    Get out and enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

faceman wrote: »
    Examiner is reporting august as when non essential travel will be permitted; 2 months after the EU cert will be introduced.

That's pathetically slow really

When people see how much Irish hotels are charging in July & August foreign trips are going to book anyway

My friend was looking at 4 nights break in Ireland for him, the wife and 3 kids

Tried 6 different counties

Even if they had to pay the fine he reckons he'd still be saving money by going on a foreign holiday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

It may have been discussed before but is there any way at all the government could penalise you for travelling via Belfast from June (assuming you can travel up there restriction-free). After the point you enter a different jurisdiction, everything you do is subject to their law, right?

Wallander wrote: »
    It may have been discussed before but is there any way at all the government could penalise you for travelling via Belfast from June (assuming you can travel up there restriction-free). After the point you enter a different jurisdiction, everything you do is subject to their law, right?

Unless travelling to NI is made illegal then flying from Belfast is totally fine

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

If it is enacted by the EU in June then the Gov have 6 weeks before they would need an exemption. I guess that makes sense then if the EU plan to enact this in mid June.

Given the clamour from other countries to restart tourism and travel, it’s quite pathetic how our lot are treating it and the thousands who work in the related industries.

Edit: I just read the Examiner article and again, a journalist misunderstanding the green cert. they mention that being fully vaccinated or recovered from the virus are a pre-requisite. In fact, a negative test will also be provided the same standing. I sometimes wonder do Irish journalists need even the most basic of education before being given a platform!!

Golfman64 wrote: »
    If it is enacted by the EU in June then the Gov have 6 weeks before they would need an exemption. I guess that makes sense then if the EU plan to enact this in mid June.

Given the clamour from other countries to restart tourism and travel, it’s quite pathetic how our lot are treating it and the thousands who work in the related industries.

Edit: I just read the Examiner article and again, a journalist misunderstanding the green cert. they mention that being fully vaccinated or recovered from the virus are a pre-requisite. In fact, a negative test will also be provided the same standing. I sometimes wonder do Irish journalists need even the most basic of education before being given a platform!!

do you not think the fact they left this out (something as simple as a negative test for those of us not vaccinated or immune) is actually deliberate? A deliberate omission (Government agenda too) to make most people think they cannot travel unless vaccinated!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Eamonn Ryan says it will be months not weeks before we can travel internationally but doesn't anticipate that it will be years.

Years. Why even say that? On what planet could it ever be years before we travel.

Eamonn Ryan says it will be months not weeks before we can travel internationally but doesn't anticipate that it will be years.

Years. Why even say that? On what planet could it ever be years before we travel.

Eamon Ryan went to Europe recently to agree with other eu transport ministers that they should end cheap air travel

You know. Ireland, the only island in the EU heavily reliant on air travel with no alternatives. And he wants it to cost us more

Ryan is a joke. He’s just a tree hugging spacer in a suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Yeah. "Within a number of months".

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1385138378333642759

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Planet Ireland, with those currently in charge of our every movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I'm aiming for mid September anyway and by everything I'm reading we should definitely be good to go by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it the current position in Irish law is:

- It is legal for a French resident to arrive for a holiday in Ireland with a clear PCR test, to self-quarantine for 5 days until they get another clear PCR test, move around within reason and then leave whenever. The worst they can expect is a €100 fine for travelling outside the county/more than 20km from where they're staying.
    - It is illegal for an Irish resident to travel to France for a holiday, and they face a €2000 fine for doing so from the Irish authorities.

The green cert thing will relieve the French resident of the need to quarantine on arrival, but it makes no difference to the Irish resident in terms of the risk of the 2k fine.

Does the EU care? I don't know. Other countries presumably don't care about Irish-born people being prosecuted in Ireland, but the current 2k fine applies to anyone resident in Ireland, including non-Irish EU citizens.

Does the UK care that its citizens resident in Ireland face fines for travelling to meet relatives in the UK? Don't know either.

In both cases I guess the non-Irish Irish-resident citizens could complain to their respective embassies in Ireland.

I guess therefore that the Irish gov is resisting the green cert because it will seem appallingly unfair that furriners can holiday here unrestricted from the same countries that Irish residents are prevented from travelling to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement