Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭acequion

JDD wrote: »
    If I was a smart dentist in the Canaries, I would be charging €50 downpayment for appointments and admin charges for issuing the letter. Then I'd call the individual and see whether they were actually intending on showing up for the appointment. It'd be a nice little earner for them.

Maybe so but this is the EU. Cross border lives are common in the EU so there are a great many people who legitimately live in one country and do all their med care/dentistry in another. Or people with holiday homes in places like the Canaries, often older people with more medical issues and for all sorts of reasons prefer to get their treatments there than at home.

There's been 20 long years of people effortlessly hopping from one country to another and often for seemingly frivolous reasons which makes this discouraging and banning of travel so extreme to many. Many of those who don't need to travel, who have everything handy here in Ireland, just don't get that and are most likely the ones baying for border closures.

So I should hope that the medical appointment / treatment stays on the exemption list because if removed it would seriously inconvenience the legit users. And in the meantime if it provides an escape route to others, needs must.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Golfman64 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0421/1211217-covid-restrictions/

I wonder when journalists will actually realise that the 'Green Cert' is not just based on full vaccination but provides equal status to those with a recent negative test or recovery from the virus........

It’s also the high level politicians like Coveney, Martin and Varadkar who continually refer to as a vaccination cert in a deliberate attempt to misinform the public in an attempt to lessen the amount of people who will look for it so they can travel.

Also it’s absolutely shocking that Simon Coveney included September today as a time for re opening. Locked us up on December 30th and 9 months later they will still be easing restrictions. Why wouldn’t people want to get out of here for a few weeks in July for Christ’s sake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

JDD wrote: »
    If I was a smart dentist in the Canaries, I would be charging €50 downpayment for appointments and admin charges for issuing the letter. Then I'd call the individual and see whether they were actually intending on showing up for the appointment. It'd be a nice little earner for them.

If I was a plastic surgeon in Dubai I'd be charging more than that for missed appointments. If I was a lawyer in Ireland I'd be applying for free legal aid to mount constitutional challenges when for any one who doesn't want MHQ.

Blut2 wrote: »
    I've passed through Dublin airport recently leaving and returning and no problems with the garda checkpoints. You're perfectly legally entitled to leave the state for a whole number of reasons:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/travelling_abroad_during_covid.html

So if you're going to a funeral in the Canaries, or a medical appointment, or any of the rest of the above(or just claim to be...) you're fine. No problems at all. Just make sure you have some sort of proof if you're claiming one of the reasons thats more provable (ie a letter confirming a medical appointment say).

The only people getting fined by all accounts are the ones who're thick enough to tell the gardai they're going on holiday, and/or who try to argue their right to travel without an excuse, with them.

Just to point out that the newest regulations state "essential medical" so the scale and polish won't do anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Varadkar ruling out international travel in June, is actually a good thing. To me it indicates he thinks it will be possible thereafter. Otherwise he would have been talking about less specific dates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

Refer to the law nor this, it's out of date.

The newest regulations state "essential medical" so the scale and polish won't do anymore

Thats not correct at all. The quoted law is still in effect, thats why its literally on the gov.ie website. Have a read of the "Health Act 1947 (Section 31A – Temporary Restrictions) COVID-19) (No 10)(Amendment)(No 2) Regulations 2021" yourself if you like. Its still listed, as exactly above, on the statute book. No other laws or regulations overrule it.

Its also still very much being adhered to. When I went through Dublin airport multiple people ahead of me said "I have a medical appointment" and were waved through with no further questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Just to point out that the newest regulations state "essential medical" so the scale and polish won't do anymore

Why bother, sure just print off a wedding invite or similar.

You can go on abroad if you like, no need to even make a meal of out it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Well they can politely **** off with that, they need to get their **** together and let us out of this hole they've buried us in...

I don’t disagree, the EU digital green cert is perfectly reasonable to reasonable people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

The second episode of an outbreak caused by MHQ reported in Sydney.

Seven cases with the same viral sequence all having travelled from different countries.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/17/nsw-covid-quarantine-viral-sequence-suggests-coronavirus-jumped-between-hotel-rooms?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Thats not correct at all. The quoted law is still in effect, thats why its literally on the gov.ie website. Have a read of the "Health Act 1947 (Section 31A – Temporary Restrictions) COVID-19) (No 10)(Amendment)(No 2) Regulations 2021" yourself if you like. Its still listed, as exactly above, on the statute book. No other laws or regulations overrule it.

Its also still very much being adhered to. When I went through Dublin airport multiple people ahead of me said "I have a medical appointment" and were waved through with no further questions.

Yes, I saw that and amended my answer accordingly to just reiterate the essential part.

I can't speak for the 5 people in front of you but there's been thousands of tickets issued

• Advertisement

Why bother, sure just print off a wedding invite or similar.

You can go on abroad if you like, no need to even make a meal of out it.

Well that's between yourself and the Garda you meet.

My reason was very specifically covered so I'm fine

Yes, I saw that and amended my answer accordingly to just reiterate the essential part.

I can't speak for the 5 people in front of you but there's been thousands of tickets issued

What do you mean by that? Are you saying they won't accept medical /dental as an excuse unless you can prove that what your having done is "essential"? Though the law is still citing an "appointment" as acceptable. I know Donnelly sees it as a "loophole" and wants to change it. But can he? Has he?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Selectively quoting parts that suit you, to mislead.
    You'd make a great politician :D.

The law hasn't changed with regard to attending a dental or medical appointment. It need not be "essential", probably much to your chagrin.
    Without prejudice to the generality of what constitutes a reasonable excuse for the purposes of paragraph (1), such reasonable excuse includes an applicable person leaving his or her place of residence to go to an airport or port for the purpose of leaving the State in order to -

(e) attend a medical or dental appointment, or accompany, to such an appointment, any other person residing with the person, or a vulnerable person,

(f) seek essential medical, health or dental assistance for the person, for any other person residing with the person, or for a vulnerable person,

Just like the blurring of advice & laws last year, just like the politicians & media referring to the digital green cert as a vaccination cert now, on & on it will go.
    Just like mushrooms, keep 'em in the dark & feed them bullsh1t.

It’s also the high level politicians like Coveney, Martin and Varadkar who continually refer to as a vaccination cert in a deliberate attempt to misinform the public in an attempt to lessen the amount of people who will look for it so they can travel.

Also it’s absolutely shocking that Simon Coveney included September today as a time for re opening. Locked us up on December 30th and 9 months later they will still be easing restrictions. Why wouldn’t people want to get out of here for a few weeks in July for Christ’s sake?

Micheal going with the misleading language again tonight at the FF parliamentary meeting....
    https://twitter.com/mcconnelldaniel/status/1384949196961243136?s=21

That’s an outright lie right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

So I can go to the Canaries to have a scale and polish with proof of an appointment

or

I can go to the Canaries to check out three or four different dentists to see which one I like the most to carry out a dental implant.

The law says you can travel in order to seek essential medical treatment. So you wouldn't even need an appointment in the second case, as long as you could prove you were in need of essential medical treatment.

I say fair play to anyone who heads off. Now, I still think you should genuinely quarantine after you come back, and there's really no excuse at this stage not to know that there is a possibility you might have to MHQ on the way home, especially if your holiday of choice w as in a country that was on the red list when you left. But as you say, you could probably entertain yourself in MHQ by getting free legal aid to take a constitutional challenge against MHQ and if you were in luck, they'd let you go home after five days or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Varadkar ruling out international travel in June, is actually a good thing. To me it indicates he thinks it will be possible thereafter. Otherwise he would have been talking about less specific dates.

Varadkar:

Mr Varadkar said that he misses foreign travel and would love to see his sister in London or go and visit the Mediterranean.

“I just honestly think June is too soon,” he told reporters.

“I think we need to get into a position where we have our economy and society largely open here first, get back to hospitality being open, religious services, outdoor gatherings.

“I think international travel comes after that.”

He said that there will “always” be dangerous viruses and variants and that vaccines will not be 100pc.

“We’re just not there for June, it’s going to be later in the summer or later in the year,” he added.

Speaking to journalists at Leinster House, Taoiseach Michéal Martin also echoed the Tánaiste’s view that June is still too early for foreign holidays.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Varadkar:

Mr Varadkar said that he misses foreign travel and would love to see his sister in London or go and visit the Mediterranean.

“I just honestly think June is too soon,” he told reporters.

“I think we need to get into a position where we have our economy and society largely open here first, get back to hospitality being open, religious services, outdoor gatherings.

“I think international travel comes after that.”

He said that there will “always” be dangerous viruses and variants and that vaccines will not be 100pc.

“We’re just not there for June, it’s going to be later in the summer or later in the year,” he added.

Speaking to journalists at Leinster House, Taoiseach Michéal Martin also echoed the Tánaiste’s view that June is still too early for foreign holidays.

If the €2,000 fine isn’t renewed it’s open season. PCR on the way out, PCR before you come home. All pretty straightforward if the fine goes.

Actually on the €2,000 fine. We have the Digital Green Cert on the way and we think the fine’s sunset clause is in mid June.

Is it possible the fine will be renewed for non EU countries only? Thus enabling the full use of the travel cert?

If so there wouldn’t really be anything stopping anybody travelling around the EU following the lifting of the fine, if this occurs before the implementation of the travel cert here in Ireland.

If the €2,000 fine isn’t renewed it’s open season. PCR on the way out, PCR before you come home. All pretty straightforward if the fine goes.

But will it go? What do people think?

Regardless of what the likes of MM or Varadkar say I'm out of here in June, mid June at the latest. If it has to be via Belfast so be it. I'm not arsing around waiting, more time separated from loved ones, more precious holiday time just hanging around trying to fill endless, monotonous days. More than a year of this misery and they're still inflicting it on us. Zero regard for the many in this land who live cross border lives. I have never felt so disenfranchised, so disregarded by my Govt. I won't be forgetting it. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Need to move away from expensive and slow PCR's and to Antigen tests once virus R0 numbers are under control in the EU....

acequion wrote: »

Regardless of what the likes of MM or Varadkar say I'm out of here in June, mid June at the latest. If it has to be via Belfast so be it. I'm not arsing around waiting, more time separated from loved ones, more precious holiday time just hanging around trying to fill endless, monotonous days. More than a year of this misery and they're still inflicting it on us. Zero regard for the many in this land who live cross border lives. I have never felt so disenfranchised, so disregarded by my Govt. I won't be forgetting it. :mad:

I’m booked for 3 weeks in the Canaries on June 29th.....I am outta here. I have the dental appointment got if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

acequion wrote: »

so you're basically never going to vote again as there is zero alternative

Aontu? Or Michael McNamara if you are in Clare.

Yes I know and that is extremely depressing. I won't derail this thread with politics and voting but I'd say it will be independents for me for the rest of my voting life. Not great for Govt formation I realise, but you've a better chance of voting for somebody with integrity if not bound by some stupid party. In any case I hope not be be in this country for too many more elections. Irish people, for all their faults, are generally decent and hard working [and I'm one] but the political class here is rotten to its very core. So impossible to be optimistic about the future here, better off elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

I have booked a border town for the weekend that they reopen. My thought process is I dont really care while south of the border as I will just tell them I am visiting a grave.

I guess I would be slightly more nervous of the PSNI and their approach as it would be somewhat alien to me. My plan if stopped on the Northern side is to say I am Donegal bound.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭eltonyio

I have booked a border town for the weekend that they reopen. My thought process is I dont really care while south of the border as I will just tell them I am visiting a grave.

I guess I would be slightly more nervous of the PSNI and their approach as it would be somewhat alien to me. My plan if stopped on the Northern side is to say I am Donegal bound.

Tens of thousands of Irish reg cars drive in and out of the North and around the main border towns on a daily basis. You'll be fine and won't even be noticed, even if it was a legal problem for them (I'm not sure if it would be or not anyway in their jurisdiction but I doubt it). You could live in the republic and legitimately be crossing the border going to a shop, a chemist, a medical appointment, work, or any other number of reasons, which is done by thousands daily, so the PSNI won't bother you at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

So just to confirm, as others have pointed out, you were outright lying with your talk of "newest regulations"?

The fines weren't issued to anyone stating to the Gardai that they were traveling for one of the many legal reasons to travel, as outlined above. Because they legally can't be. Its really quite simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I have a bit of optimism for a September trip.
    Will be a last minute booking though

• Advertisement

So just to confirm, as others have pointed out, you were outright lying with your talk of "newest regulations"?

The fines weren't issued to anyone stating to the Gardai that they were traveling for one of the many legal reasons to travel, as outlined above. Because they legally can't be. Its really quite simple.

Ah I see, yes I was incorrect. My bad. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement