Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think what they'll probably do is defer inter county travel until later, late June or even July and try and save themselves the Belfast problem, but in turn will only create more. Belfast will be a place people will be travelling to from late May to get flights, nevermind later in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Chuck Norris 2021

Was just looking back at last year for comparison, made me feel a lot more hopeful;

County wide travel restarted June 8th.
    Full domestic travel June 29th.

Have levels 1-5 been thrown out the window now? Haven't heard them mentioned in ages? Curious in relation to the passport office. Below is a link to the response offered by SC to questions raise in the Dail. The last line is especially interesting. They are now deferring paper applications to level 3.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2021-03-31/523/#pq-answers-515_520_523_535_541

Travel within your country is in level 4, so where are we now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I agree with this. From what I read many EU countries expected to be on amber list. This means a test before flying to UK and 2 PCR tests after arrival in UK, which it seems you have to book as a package before you fly. What this means for ppl flying to Belfast and then going to ROI, I don't know but it doesn't sound cheap. Maybe someone has more info?

Tbf, if someone really wants to go on a holiday, and have a choice of PCR tests, or PCR test, MHQ and a 2k fine. It's probably going to be the first one and they'll travel to Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

titan18 wrote: »
    Tbf, if someone really wants to go on a holiday, and have a choice of PCR tests, or PCR test, MHQ and a 2k fine. It's probably going to be the first one and they'll travel to Belfast.

It's the level of enthusiasm that seems a bit premature, unless there is a secret memo going around.

Certainly an easier option for people in the upper half of the country. Mid July may not be the best time to be wandering in there with a southern reg though the way things are at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Certainly an easier option for people in the upper half of the country. Mid July may not be the best time to be wandering in there with a southern reg though the way things are at the minute.

Ya, I'm sure you'd be in grave danger driving to the airport alright!!! Because no southern reg plates ever go in there in mid July!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,267 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

actually! wrote: »
    Well Del. I lived in the US for many years and flew back and forth regularly. There used to be some flights that did pre-clearance and some that did not. More may use it now.

Not sure about that. I have flown this route at least 60 times in the last 30 years. I don't recall a single time where I did not use pre clearance in Ireland. The only time I went through immigration in the US was if I flew via another country.

Which bit are you not sure about? Here is a link containing a snapshot of the aer lingus website from a few years back which explicitly states that flight EI 109 from Dublin to NY cleared Customs and Immigration in the US. Perhaps most, or even all, use it now. But they don't have to. As I said, there were some that used it and some that did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Dr. Em wrote: »
    It's the level of enthusiasm that seems a bit premature, unless there is a secret memo going around.

I'd happily take a holiday in the UK over Ireland. South of England gets better weather, vast choices on accomodation means lower prices and the English do beer gardens much better than we do (often set for kids with playgrounds etc). Themeparks will be open then too.

Everyone I know is griping about the extortionate cost and lack of choice for staycation and we just cant compare to the UK on choices of activities (and again cost)

Theres no secret memo, coming home to Ireland via Belfast means skipping the pcr making it better value again.

For people who want to go to Italy and who work remotely they can fly back to the UK and spend 10 days working in an Airbnb of their choice before heading to Belfast, versus Dublin where they get sent to prison for 12+ days on arrival from Italy. It's a no brainer.

I know I'm repeating myself here but I think the crux of the matter for people trying to travel this Summer from late June on (from ROI) is the future of the €2,000 fine.

If that goes in mid June as some people have stated, due to it's sunset clause, then there is literally nothing stopping anyone from travelling. Yes there might be an "essential travel only" advisory but without the fine it's not worth the paper it's written on. Last Summer was different as people weren't fully aware of the the dangers of the virus and chose to don the green jersey etc etc. But without the fine this year people are out of here.

Hypothetically speaking, if there was no fine, to go to the Canaries all you need is a PCR on the way out and a PCR on the way home. Niner Leprachaun et al can try and muddy the waters all they like but that is the reality of it without the fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, i'm not too enthusiastic anyway. I'm just hoping for September and on, it'll be ok. I can do 3-4 trips in those months then and feel normal again (I was travelling a fair bit for leisure pre pandemic).

• Advertisement

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    I'd happily take a holiday in the UK over Ireland. South of England gets better weather, vast choices on accomodation means lower prices and the English do beer gardens much better than we do (often set for kids with playgrounds etc). Themeparks will be open then too.

Everyone I know is griping about the extortionate cost and lack of choice for staycation and we just cant compare to the UK on choices of activities (and again cost)

Theres no secret memo, coming home to Ireland via Belfast means skipping the pcr making it better value again.

For people who want to go to Italy and who work remotely they can fly back to the UK and spend 10 days working in an Airbnb of their choice before heading to Belfast, versus Dublin where they get sent to prison for 12+ days on arrival from Italy. It's a no brainer.

I get the advantage for anyone going to the UK and no further, and some people will pay however much it costs to go on holiday - although you will be in competition with 66 million other for staycations. But I don't see any indication that they are going to have a return of travel in mid-May in any meaningful way as people are expecting. All the stories I have seen highlight the lack of certainty.

Until mid-June it is illegal to fly out of the UK without an essential reason. There is a fine of £5000 for trying to travel abroad. Their rules for non-red list countries are currently more strict than Dublin's - 1 preflight test and two pre-booked post-flight tests.
    I think the Irish government will take its cue from the UK on opening up travel, but everything I see coming out of the UK is pushing people towards staycations and away from travel.

Ya, i'm not too enthusiastic anyway. I'm just hoping for September and on, it'll be ok. I can do 3-4 trips in those months then and feel normal again (I was travelling a fair bit for leisure pre pandemic).

Yes, September looks more likely at the moment.

As opposed to the £5,000 fine the UK has on non-essential travel until 30 June? They still haven't made any announcement that they will lift that early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Boris has said he wants to make overseas travel easier when it does start.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-britain-johnson/uk-pm-johnson-says-want-to-make-travel-testing-regime-easy-as-possible-idUKKBN2BT1BZ

But realistically, there's nothing much we can do until we see the finer details of the EU digital cert (or whatever it's called) and our own government's response. For instance, I'd say the first thing people wanting to travel will do is get an antibody test that meets the criteria of the new rules. Test positive and, theoretically, you're good to go without a vax or a PCR. Theoretically, being the operative word here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

M_Murphy57 wrote: »

I’m quite fond of Wales. If i could hop on the ferry again it would keep me going for a while.

Tazz T wrote: »
    For instance, I'd say the first thing people wanting to travel will do is get an antibody test that meets the criteria of the new rules. Test positive and, theoretically, you're good to go without a vax or a PCR. Theoretically, being the operative word here.

My big concern is that you will actually end up with gimps purposely getting infected so that they can meet that criteria. They'd really want to be careful with that one!! :eek:

My big concern is that you will actually end up with gimps purposely getting infected so that they can meet that criteria. They'd really want to be careful with that one!! :eek:

I actually brought up that concern a few months back when this was first mooted.

Anyway, I'm just reading a gated telegraph article today that states the UK vax pass will be for UK nationals only initially. So it looks like everyone going through Belfast from ROI will still need a test before departure (?) and on return. Although this could be a lateral flow test for green countries only.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

Lumen wrote: »
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it the current position in Irish law is:

- It is legal for a French resident to arrive for a holiday in Ireland with a clear PCR test, to self-quarantine for 5 days until they get another clear PCR test, move around within reason and then leave whenever. The worst they can expect is a €100 fine for travelling outside the county/more than 20km from where they're staying.
    - It is illegal for an Irish resident to travel to France for a holiday, and they face a €2000 fine for doing so from the Irish authorities.

The green cert thing will relieve the French resident of the need to quarantine on arrival, but it makes no difference to the Irish resident in terms of the risk of the 2k fine.

Does the EU care? I don't know. Other countries presumably don't care about Irish-born people being prosecuted in Ireland, but the current 2k fine applies to anyone resident in Ireland, including non-Irish EU citizens.

Does the UK care that its citizens resident in Ireland face fines for travelling to meet relatives in the UK? Don't know either.

In both cases I guess the non-Irish Irish-resident citizens could complain to their respective embassies in Ireland.

I guess therefore that the Irish gov is resisting the green cert because it will seem appallingly unfair that furriners can holiday here unrestricted from the same countries that Irish residents are prevented from travelling to.

I thought France is on our MHQ list of countries? So the French person has to hotel quarantine for 14 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I’m quite fond of Wales. If i could hop on the ferry again it would keep me going for a while.

Well you won't get caught in the rush. Chating with the guys that do the boarding checks I don't think there has been a ferry with more than 24 cars on it in the last 12 or more months. I've travelled 6 times to the UK since Covid started and the average is about 9 cars each trip.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I get the advantage for anyone going to the UK and no further, and some people will pay however much it costs to go on holiday - although you will be in competition with 66 million other for staycations. But I don't see any indication that they are going to have a return of travel in mid-May in any meaningful way as people are expecting. All the stories I have seen highlight the lack of certainty.

Until mid-June it is illegal to fly out of the UK without an essential reason. There is a fine of £5000 for trying to travel abroad. Their rules for non-red list countries are currently more strict than Dublin's - 1 preflight test and two pre-booked post-flight tests.
    I think the Irish government will take its cue from the UK on opening up travel, but everything I see coming out of the UK is pushing people towards staycations and away from travel.

Although it's currently illegal, it's only fair to say that from mid-May the UK are planning to open up international travel again via the traffic light system barring any big changes between now and then. They are already speculating when the categorisation of countries will be released, speculation on whether it'll be first or second week of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Which bit are you not sure about? Here is a link containing a snapshot of the aer lingus website from a few years back which explicitly states that flight EI 109 from Dublin to NY cleared Customs and Immigration in the US. Perhaps most, or even all, use it now. But they don't have to. As I said, there were some that used it and some that did not.

LOL, a link to a random screenshot, from 2013, to prove what today? Wot? How long did it take you to find that? And what's it got to do with air carrier staff enforcing foreign countries laws today?

Anyway let's just make this easy:

All passengers travelling directly to the US from Dublin Airport go through US Preclearance.

https://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/travelling-to-usa/faqs

fm wrote: »

"The Member States will be responsible for setting up the systems at the national level."

This does not fill me with confidence and I'm very confident Ireland wasn't one of the interested parties :)

"significant number of Member States have already shown interest in participating in the pilot program"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Looks like you can travel restriction free from the UK to Spain and Portugal in a few weeks time.

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1385272483935293442

The legislation is due to expire in June I believe. I'm not sure what their options are for extending that legislation. I couldn't see them extending by 3 months if that is the only option as I would imagine that it would be in violation of the green cert system. I think it may just quietly die a death? Others on here that have examined it may know better. It's all about public perception with this government. So it's a better option for them to leave it quietly slip away and hope no one notices.

I also think this is what will happen. Yesterday the government big hitters were out saying don’t plan anything for June. It’s too early etc etc. It’s like they know already the fine won’t be extended past it’s sunset clause in June, due to the incoming EU travel cert, bu they want to sow the seed into people that travel is not on just like they did last year. Increase the travel shaming levels and the like.

I would guess the fine’s expiration will be incredibly hush hush, again in the hope of fooling people into believing it’s still operational. (Constant misinformation regarding travel is this government’s modus operandi when it comes to travel - Drew Harris talking rubbish on the Late Late, Donnelly on about the medical appointment loophole) The fact that I emailed the departments of health, justice and foreign affairs looking for the date of it’s sunset clause and got no straight answer from any of them leads me to that conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

Looks like you can travel restriction free from the UK to Spain and Portugal in a few weeks time.

Will they still need 2 pcr tests pre departure back to the UK and a few days after?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

fm wrote: »
    Will they still need 2 pcr tests pre departure back to the UK and a few days after?

https://www.cntraveller.com/article/traffic-light-system-travel-green-countries

GREEN
    One pre-departure test up to 72 hours before returning to the UK (type unspecified).
    One PCR test on or before day two of arrival in England/Wales.
    No quarantine unless a test is positive.

Not sure what it means if you are heading from Belfast south of the border.

https://www.cntraveller.com/article/traffic-light-system-travel-green-countries

GREEN
    One pre-departure test up to 72 hours before returning to the UK (type unspecified).
    One PCR test on or before day two of arrival in England/Wales.
    No quarantine unless a test is positive.

Not sure what it means if you are heading from Belfast south of the border.[/QUOTE

More than likely Arlene will row in with this as well for NI citizens. For people from the ROI it would be impossible to police I would say so you will just be on your way down the M1 ironically needing less tests than a resident in NI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Looks like the speculation on the UK green list came from a travel PR firm. They reckon the US will be added to the green list by the end of June:

https://www.pc.agency/blog/checkpoint-charlie-or-should-it-be-checkpoint-charlesy/

So that could be interesting to see potential unrestricted travel US to Northern Ireland, with any tourists who stray over the border presumably needing to be rounded up and quarantined!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement