Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Does anyone have the 14 day rate per 100,000 for India? Their case numbers are high for sure, but they also have a population of 1.3bn people. Despite their high case load, they are doing better than the US

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/extra-staff-urgently-needed-for-mandatory-hotel-quarantine-1115051.html

They're trying to hire staff for an initial 3 months, which could be extended to a year for MHQ. I would assume though that this will only apply to 3 world countries by then though. Another article this morning suggests that there may be low levels of infection around for the next 2 years, mainly in the developing world, so I guess the requirement might remain.

“The Opposition called for clarity on how long the system is going to be in place.”

Hilarious. You couldn’t make this stuff up. The opposition who screamed for it to be put in place want to know when it will be ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭eltonyio

faceman wrote: »
    “ The Opposition called for clarity on how long the system is going to be in place.”

Hilarious. You couldn’t make this stuff up. The opposition who screamed for it to be put in place want to know when it will be ended.

Their sole aim was only about causing difficulties for the government who fell into the trap far too easily. Now they can't back out with a massive loss of face (which would also be hopped on).

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Chuck Norris 2021

“ The Opposition called for clarity on how long the system is going to be in place.”

The 'opposition' should be more concerned about their own side of the border and securing that :pac:. It's an enormous joke, and unbelievably, the anti travel mob seem to view it as a rip roaring success.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭IQO

For sure it's different. It would put a lot of people off travelling if their travel insurance is invalidated though. No EHIC card if coming from America so could be very expensive and not worth it for a lot of people.
    There are quite a few providers that came up offering covid covered travel insurance, even to countries that are red-listed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭eltonyio

gozunda wrote: »
    eltonyio - no idea what the agenda there is. You keep repeating the exact same thing for some reason. This was already posted.

Thanks for the question. The agenda is to highlight the lack of political sense, dynamism, logic and science in the approach as implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

My Ryanair flights from a non MHQ EU country have just been cancelled again. First May 14th and now May 21st. Moved them to the beginning of June.

Strange stuff, the reason given was "due to ongoing changes to travel restrictions" but I see nothing on Irish news or here to signify why.

Could it be they are cancelling flights that are running near empty?

Thanks from saabsaab :pac: that made my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Does anyone have the 14 day rate per 100,000 for India? Their case numbers are high for sure, but they also have a population of 1.3bn people. Despite their high case load, they are doing better than the US

Looks like their case numbers are through the roof atm.

Detail here
    Cases have been surging in the country of 1.37 billion people. On Sunday alone, 261,500 new infections were recorded. That’s as bad as the U.S. during all but the worst five days of the pandemic in December and early January. Case counts are rising far more quickly, too.

https://m.economictimes.com/news/india/indias-surging-case-count-will-make-the-pandemic-more-deadly-in-2021/articleshow/82154834.cms

eltonyio wrote: »
    Thanks for the question. The agenda is to highlight the lack of political sense, dynamism, logic and science in the approach as implemented.

Well you now know the set criteria which are being used. The group who are responsible and when they meet, the role of the chief medical officer. Oh and that the list of countries is subject to change with regard to the listed criteria.

Hope that all helps ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

What is Simon Coveney playing at.....?

https://twitter.com/ciaraphelan_/status/1384797511165095937

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Restrictions proposed for going to the beach next?:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

We will be able to holiday abroad once the EU Green cert is enacted (with a maximum of 6 weeks allowable for Gov implementation) After that, the government must seek a written exception from the EU should this not allow quarantine free entry and exit for EU citizens in possession of a green cert.

The fact that he doesn't understand this shows serious incompetence. or else the EU are planning to restrict travel for longer but I see this as unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Golfman64 wrote: »
    We will be able to holiday abroad once the EU Green cert is enacted (with a maximum of 6 weeks allowable for Gov implementation) After that, the government must seek a written exception from the EU should this not allow quarantine free entry and exit for EU citizens in possession of a green cert.

The fact that he doesn't understand this shows serious incompetence. or else the EU are planning to restrict travel for longer but I see this as unlikely.

As we have seen over the past year anything is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

My Ryanair flights from a non MHQ EU country have just been cancelled again. First May 14th and now May 21st. Moved them to the beginning of June.

Strange stuff, the reason given was "due to ongoing changes to travel restrictions" but I see nothing on Irish news or here to signify why.

Yes, it's happening a lot. Have a few people coming out here to Malta for a holiday in May but put back to June now. Love a good holiday and never a better time to get away.

But a June it is anyway. June will be much fuller flights judging from the amount of people I know have booked, I don't see any more adhoc cancellations like that from then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

What is Simon Coveney playing at.....?

More Nanny Statism... plus all us naughty citizens won't be swimming in the Med this summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I can't believe just a few weeks ago I thought this eejit was one of our better politicians.

Although given the quality of the competition, maybe he still is :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Yes, it's happening a lot. Have a few people coming out here to Malta for a holiday in May but put back to June now. Love a good holiday and never a better time to get away.
    But a June it is anyway. June will be much fuller flights judging from the amount of people I know have booked, I don't see any more adhoc cancellations like that from then.

Luv Malta, they have handled their response to the virus very well from measured restrictions to rapid vaccine rollout...

Last year when Ireland was shut and everyone locked in at home, you could still go to Malta for a beer, attend a wedding and buy a pair of socks..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Maybe they are foreseeing more Countries to be added to the list: Spain, Netherlands, Poland ?

Is it Spain ?
    Can see them stopping minor routes like Santander and Murcia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Restrictions proposed for going to the beach next?:pac::D

€2000 fine for walking towards the sea with the intention to swim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Tazz T

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/extra-staff-urgently-needed-for-mandatory-hotel-quarantine-1115051.html

They're trying to hire staff for an initial 3 months, which could be extended to a year for MHQ. I would assume though that this will only apply to 3 world countries by then though. Another article this morning suggests that there may be low levels of infection around for the next 2 years, mainly in the developing world, so I guess the requirement might remain.

Very difficult getting staff at the moment.

I suppose they could advertise overseas, but flying them in might be a problem.

otnomart wrote: »
    Maybe they are foreseeing more Countries to be added to the list: Spain, Netherlands, Poland ?

Is it Spain ?
    Can see them stopping minor routes like Santander and Murcia.

Slovakia.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

I wouldn't count on that unfortunately. I flew Ryanair from Dublin at the end of last June on a tourist route (before the threat of mandatory detention) and there were less than 10 passengers on board (they probably only operated due to no-shows). I think routes from Belfast or transfers via London would be more secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

‘Good news on the horizon’ on travel and summer holidays, says Coveney
    via The Irish Times
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/good-news-on-the-horizon-on-travel-and-summer-holidays-says-coveney-1.4543418

Coveney has redeemed himself somewhat here. However there is a mistake from him/in the article where it says that they system will be in place EU wide from June and then the Gov in conjunction with public health team decide on its implementation. That’s not the case. The 6 week clock starts ticking once the EU enact it and it will be up to the government to request any exceptions. These exceptions are subject to EU approval otherwise quarantine free EU travel will be allowed.

Wallander wrote: »
    I wouldn't count on that unfortunately. I flew Ryanair from Dublin at the end of last June on a tourist route (before the threat of mandatory detention) and there were less than 10 passengers on board (they probably only operated due to no-shows). I think routes from Belfast or transfers via London would be more secure.

If it happens again I might just fly from Hungary.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭fm

I presume they are and will keep downplaying the ability to travel this summer so people won't plan and book a holiday abroad now and instead book an Irish holiday, so if the digital certificate is brought in most will already have the staycation booked so less will travel, that and probably some shaming will be used at the very least

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I can't believe just a few weeks ago I thought this eejit was one of our better politicians.

Although given the quality of the competition, maybe he still is :pac:

Same here - Ive always had the impression that he was different than the rest of them and would be the next FG leader - however hes shown that hes just as bad as the rest of them when he let an idiot like Donnelly come out on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

You don't know that doesn't happen. I'm not sure why you are insisting that it doesn't. Plenty of Irish are residents abroad. What about them and not importantly, do you think they are immune from the law where they live?

Again, passports aren't an issue unless it's as proof of identity in which case your already getting the fine

I haven't mentioned people with Irish passports.

Are you seriously telling me that people with Non-Irish passports when travelling back to their home country (for whatever reason) are asked to prove that they reside in the country of their passport?

I'm calling bs on that one.

I followed that link and its to a simple retweet by Coveney of a general water safety message
    To enjoy the best of Ireland’s outdoors this summer while ensuring you stay safe, make sure you’re prepared ahead of time.

https://twitter.com/merrionstreet/status/1384801585176322048?s=20

There is no tweet link or otherwise to Coveney saying this at all.
    Minister @simoncoveney says there is too much tragedy every year linked to drowning and asks people to be alert this summer.. says people will likely flock to coastal towns given people will not be able to holiday abroad this year.

I believe a better question would be Whats the twitter poster playing at or is it simply more fake outrage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Ireland will sign up to the digital green cert for travel but they will act the bollix & delay it as much as possible, best case you can travel mid July I’d say, I’d be more confident of September onwards, they’ll be dragged kicking & screaming but their goal will be as close to September as possible to deter families going abroad at all so as close as possible to schools reopening will suit them & continue to encourage staycations

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement