Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Ireland will sign up to the digital green cert for travel but they will act the bollix & delay it as much as possible, best case you can travel mid July I’d say, I’d be more confident of September onwards, they’ll be dragged kicking & screaming but their goal will be as close to September as possible to deter families going abroad at all so as close as possible to schools reopening will suit them & continue to encourage staycations

I have just said this exactly to my Husband during lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Slovakia.

Is there any indication that the restrictions in Slovakia have recently changed, or are about to change?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Ireland will sign up to the digital green cert for travel but they will act the bollix & delay it as much as possible, best case you can travel mid July I’d say, I’d be more confident of September onwards, they’ll be dragged kicking & screaming but their goal will be as close to September as possible to deter families going abroad at all so as close as possible to schools reopening will suit them & continue to encourage staycations

Well they can politely **** off with that, they need to get their **** together and let us out of this hole they've buried us in...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/good-news-on-the-horizon-on-travel-and-summer-holidays-says-coveney-1.4543418

"Almost half of the population of Ireland lives within 5km of the sea and practically everyone lives within 20km of either the sea, a lake or a river. We also expect that this summer will see increased visitors to these areas as people holiday at home. So we are asking everyone to be alert to water safety.”

Above seems to be a direct quote from Simon Coveney.

Darwin wrote: »
    Let's take a hypothetical situation of a retired couple who bought a sunny retirement home in an EU country currently on the MHQ list and they spend half their time there and half their time in Ireland. They arrive at the airport and say they are flying home. They have proof of electricity bills, insurance, residential and habitation tax etc from their home outside Ireland. What happens in this case?

They would be subject to questioning and the Gardai would make a judgement call.

Why?

• Advertisement

My Ryanair flights from a non MHQ EU country have just been cancelled again. First May 14th and now May 21st. Moved them to the beginning of June.

Strange stuff, the reason given was "due to ongoing changes to travel restrictions" but I see nothing on Irish news or here to signify why.

Could it be they are cancelling flights that are running near empty?

otnomart wrote: »
    Maybe they are foreseeing more Countries to be added to the list: Spain, Netherlands, Poland ?

Is it Spain ?
    Can see them stopping minor routes like Santander and Murcia.

Santandar has been a **** show for a long time now. They cancel flights if there's insufficient numbers on BOTH legs.

There may be just enough passengers for Ireland to Murcia but the return leg could be empty meaning it's not worth it as they always return to base.

If you are looking at Spain, book into Madrid and then onwards via renfe or alsa.

The alternative means relying on Ryanair, vueling, etc and that's heartache.

Last flight for be was bounced abd then cancelled so much I was going through Malaga, granada and at one stage fecking islands only for I've if the legs to get changed and you then have to try and rearrange everything.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    My post was in tongue in cheek. It’s not even an argument anyway. Emigration isn’t breaking the law.

It was never an argument. We both always agreed on emigrating and immigration being essential travel.

My only reason for commenting was to dispell this idiotic stance that a foreign passport made you untouchable as norman stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭josip

What is Simon Coveney playing at.....?
    Tenzor07 wrote: »
    More Nanny Statism... plus all us naughty citizens won't be swimming in the Med this summer...

I think I understand his point.
    There are a lot of people who would normally go swimming/water sporting when abroad, especially in the Med.
    A lot of these people may not swim often in Irish waters and could find themselves in trouble, simply doing what they normally do.

We've got an electric inflatable that we'd usually take up to 2km offshore in the Med. I haven't yet, and probably never will, put it in the water in Ireland. If anything goes wrong here you're fcuked.

Cork would see quite a lot of water tragedies also.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Dr. Em wrote: »
    Is there any indication that the restrictions in Slovakia have recently changed, or are about to change?

Nah they're going the other way, shops reopened on Monday, outside dining/drinking should be open in two weeks.

I got in touch with Ryanair and even though the email said it was cancelled "due to ongoing changes to travel restrictions" the guy in the chat said it was "due to operations" so maybe Ryanair have their own internal issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

My only reason for commenting was to dispell this idiotic stance that a foreign passport made you untouchable as norman stated.

That you assumed incorrectly thinking that was my stance. What Norman thinks has nothing to do with me, so take that chip off your shoulder and bring it elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

gozunda wrote: »
    I'm calling bs on that one.

I followed that link and its to a simple retweet by Coveney of a general water safety message

https://twitter.com/merrionstreet/status/1384801585176322048?s=20

There is no tweet link or otherwise to Coveney saying this at all.

I believe a better question would be Whats the twitter poster playing at or is it simply more fake outrage?

I think she is some sort of "journalist" for the Mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Darwin

They would be subject to questioning and the Gardai would make a judgement call.

Why?

Because it is quite a grey area that needs clarification. Thanks for the reply anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭acequion

Why?

Why would you even ask why to that very valid question?

Horrendous, absolutely horrendous that law abiding, tax paying citizens travelling to their own property in another EU state should be subject to an interrogation and a possible fine. Anyone who thinks that's acceptable in a democracy and within the EU need to take a good look at themselves. I would absolutely hate to be a Garda, I would find that type of work degrading and embarrassing. Surely there are more important things for our Gardai to be doing!

Is this €2.000 fine likely to last all summer? And can it really last legally when country wide travel is permitted? Is there not something where the EU want restrictions on domestic and foreign travel to be proportionate to each other? Or do we just tell the EU to fcuk off which has been the stance for quite a while now. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

SusanC10 wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/good-news-on-the-horizon-on-travel-and-summer-holidays-says-coveney-1.4543418

"Almost half of the population of Ireland lives within 5km of the sea and practically everyone lives within 20km of either the sea, a lake or a river. We also expect that this summer will see increased visitors to these areas as people holiday at home. So we are asking everyone to be alert to water safety.”

Above seems to be a direct quote from Simon Coveney.

Reckon we can call fake news and bs on the tweet which claimed
    Minister @simoncoveney says there is too much tragedy every year linked to drowning and asks people to be alert this summer.. says people will likely flock to coastal towns given people will not be able to holiday abroad this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I got in touch with Ryanair and even though the email said it was cancelled "due to ongoing changes to travel restrictions" the guy in the chat said it was "due to operations" so maybe Ryanair have their own internal issues.

Probably just means they don't have enough bookings to fly that route, or have moved capacity to other bases in Europe...

I'm sure people assume that once holidays aren't illegal anymore from Ireland that there's going to be dozens of flights a week to their favorite destinations are going to be surprised when routes are withdrawn or only operating twice a week with massive prices for a ticket...

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

I haven't mentioned people with Irish passports.

Are you seriously telling me that people with Non-Irish passports when travelling back to their home country (for whatever reason) are asked to prove that they reside in the country of their passport?

I'm not siding with niner (I dont know why he posts on a thread for people interested in travelling when there is a separate thread for ranting about the evils of travelling...thank God for the ignore button) but it was reported that Gards have actually issued fines at the airport to non nationals, not resident here ie on their way out the door.

To me that says more about the level of intelligence of those issuing the fines than anything else, but it has happened.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    That you assumed incorrectly thinking that was my stance. What Norman thinks has nothing to do with me, so take that chip off your shoulder and bring it elsewhere.

I assumed that when you agreed with his one and only comment that you agreed with him?

Where you agreed with a comment he hadn't actually made.

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    I'm not asiding with niner (I dont know why he posts on a thread for people interested in travelling when there is a separate thread for ranting about the evils of travelling...thank God for the ignore button) but it was reported that Gards have actually issued fines at the airport to non nationals, not resident here ie on their way out the door.

To me that says more about the level of intelligence of those issuing the fines than anything else, but it has happened.

Because I have knowledge about traveling maybe? Currently being abroad and working in the area allowing me to have some insight? Because the restrictions effect me and I wanted to discuss them?

Darwin wrote: »
    Because it is quite a grey area that needs clarification. Thanks for the reply anyway.

Well it is grey, it's all new and so far not common within the courts. Time may well clarify it further.

My opinion is just that of one person but having property abroad is not reason for essential travel alone. It would ultimately come down to actual residence I would suspect. You can't be a resident of two eu countries.

If the Garda on duty was inclined to enquire further is on them. I personally wouldn't.

Other users will attack me about that, apparently unaware that I didn't actually write the law nor have I defended it or stated my support for it.

They may also attack me for clarifying the cold hard reality of the current legal situation.

Oh wait.... They already have

acequion wrote: »
    Why would you even ask why to that very valid question?

Horrendous, absolutely horrendous that law abiding, tax paying citizens travelling to their own property in another EU state should be subject to an interrogation and a possible fine. Anyone who thinks that's acceptable in a democracy and within the EU need to take a good look at themselves. I would absolutely hate to be a Garda, I would find that type of work degrading and embarrassing. Surely there are more important things for our Gardai to be doing!

Is this €2.000 fine likely to last all summer? And can it really last legally when country wide travel is permitted? Is there not something where the EU want restrictions on domestic and foreign travel to be proportionate to each other? Or do we just tell the EU to fcuk off which has been the stance for quite a while now. :rolleyes:

To seek clarification as to why he was inquiring.

Perhaps the Gardai are catching criminals at these checkpoints and perhaps the Gardai are finding most people support the checkpoints? You may not, I may not but society wants them and Gardai take an oath to uphold the law. Personal opinion doesn't enter into it.

You know well from prior talk that cancelled flights, pcr tests and quarantine is seriously ****ing with more then my holidays but that doesn't change the law exists and is enforced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭General Toilet

You can't be a resident of two eu countries.
    Yes you can. Who says you can't have 2 residences?

Yes you can. Who says you can't have 2 residences?

Having 2 residencies and 'being a resident' aren't the same.

So:

A, the eu has rules and regulations regarding residency of a certain nation. It effects such things like, access to benefits, pensions, etc as not all countries operate the same. Child benefit being a very obvious example. Cross border workers like Spanish working in gibraltar bring another. Even at home with northern ireland albeit that has it's own rules now.

B, no one claimed you couldn't have 2 residencies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭bennyineire

What is the story with young children who won't be vaccinated?

For instance a family goes on holidays in September and all members of the family over 16 are vaccinated but have 2 children under that age and not vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seansouth36

Has anyone traveled to the Canaries recently from Dublin? Is providing proof of a medical appointment the easiest way to avoid getting fined? Heard they were going to crack down on that, but unsure if that was just social media noise. Anyone traveled recently and dealt with the Gardai? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

Has anyone traveled to the Canaries recently from Dublin? Is providing proof of a medical appointment the easiest way to avoid getting fined? Heard they were going to crack down on that, but unsure if that was just social media noise. Anyone traveled recently and dealt with the Gardai? Thanks!

I've passed through Dublin airport recently leaving and returning and no problems with the garda checkpoints. You're perfectly legally entitled to leave the state for a whole number of reasons:
    The following are ”reasonable excuses” for travelling to a port or airport for the purposes of travelling abroad as set out in the Health Act 1947 (Section 31A – Temporary Restrictions) COVID-19) (No 10)(Amendment)(No 2) Regulations 2021 as amended:

To go to college or school if you have to be there in person
    To go with a child or a vulnerable adult to school if they have to be there in person
    To work or travel related to your business
    To go to a medical or dental appointment, or to go to an appointment with someone you live with, or a vulnerable person
    To seek essential medical, health or dental services, or to accompany someone you live with, or a vulnerable person who needs essential treatment
    To care for a family member or for other vital family reasons
    To go to a funeral
    To meet a legal obligation (for example, to appear in court)
    To give access to a child to the other parent of the child, or to access a child that you have a right of access to
    To leave Ireland if you are not resident in Ireland

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/travelling_abroad_during_covid.html

So if you're going to a funeral in the Canaries, or a medical appointment, or any of the rest of the above(or just claim to be...) you're fine. No problems at all. Just make sure you have some sort of proof if you're claiming one of the reasons thats more provable (ie a letter confirming a medical appointment say).

The only people getting fined by all accounts are the ones who're thick enough to tell the gardai they're going on holiday, and/or who try to argue their right to travel without an excuse, with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Blut2 wrote: »
    I've passed through Dublin airport recently leaving and returning and no problems with the garda checkpoints. You're perfectly legally entitled to leave the state for a whole number of reasons:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/travelling_abroad_during_covid.html

So if you're going to a funeral in the Canaries, or a medical appointment, or any of the rest of the above(or just claim to be...) you're fine. No problems at all. Just make sure you have some sort of proof if you're claiming one of the reasons thats more provable (ie a letter confirming a medical appointment say).

The only people getting fined by all accounts are the ones who're thick enough to tell the gardai they're going on holiday, and/or who try to argue their right to travel without an excuse, with them.

Fair few of those I'd say. If you don't have a reasonable reason just don't travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0421/1211217-covid-restrictions/

I wonder when journalists will actually realise that the 'Green Cert' is not just based on full vaccination but provides equal status to those with a recent negative test or recovery from the virus........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

If I was a smart dentist in the Canaries, I would be charging €50 downpayment for appointments and admin charges for issuing the letter. Then I'd call the individual and see whether they were actually intending on showing up for the appointment. It'd be a nice little earner for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I'm only reporting what I've seen. As stated before part of my jobs is dropping foreign clients off at the airport and I've watched them go through the Garda security point (when it's manned) and I've never seen any of them get asked any questions when they show their passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Out of curiosity, have many travelled up to the North during the last few weeks from places not near the border, like Dublin, Cork etc? Essential and non-essential.

Just wondering if NI's opening up has already made people travel up there. Is the travel fine of €100/110 still the only current punishment, if you were going from Dublin to Belfast etc?

Will be an interesting few weeks ahead when NI start opening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement