Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

TomTomTim wrote: »

I was previously happy enough to wait until the official go ahead for travel but if this is the kind of dithering we're going to have, I'll be joining those looking for a way around the travel restrictions. I'll still get myself tested, I'll still quarantine at home after coming back, but my wife's parents live abroad - I'm not prepared to wait until after July for us to be able to visit them. Other countries are looking at how to resume travel, we're trying to find ways to delay it. Fúck that.

If there were plans for international travel to resume before late summer/autumn, they'd be saying weeks rather than months.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Chuck Norris 2021

I think they'll aim to try and reduce travel until September, when kids are gone back to school. The same way as they never lift restrictions before a bank holiday. I'm hoping they'll achieve this by leaving the 'non essential' travel notice in place. Does anyone else think they'll extend the travel fines? I'm due to travel mid July. I have a genuine work reason to travel if required, in that I need to visit a factory close to my destination, but not sure if the wife could validly travel with me. At this stage I really don't care about paying for tests, but I'd rather not throw away 4k on fines. If the government are forced to adopt the green cert within 6 weeks, it would most likely be in place on our return.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think they'll aim to try and reduce travel until September, when kids are gone back to school. The same way as they never lift restrictions before a bank holiday. I'm hoping they'll achieve this by leaving the 'non essential' travel notice in place. Does anyone else think they'll extend the travel fines? I'm due to travel mid July. I have a genuine work reason to travel if required, in that I need to visit a factory close to my destination, but not sure if the wife could validly travel with me. At this stage I really don't care about paying for tests, but I'd rather not throw away 4k on fines. If the government are forced to adopt the green cert within 6 weeks, it would most likely be in place on our return.

IMO the key milestone is having those 3 million Q2 vaccines administered in Ireland and the same proportionately across the EU. It they hit the end of June for that (and it's a big if), cases around Europe are going to tail off through the first two weeks of July, even if they haven't already done so as a consequence of seasonality.

So I can't see punitive restrictions lasting beyond mid-July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

But if you have a genuine reason to travel to visit the factory just ensure you have a record of a visit appointment made (email confirmation etc)

The government still allow foreign essential business to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

A question about the green cert. So you meet the criteria and off you go but will the government still expect you to sign the locator and then self isolate for 2 weeks on return? If so not much point of the cert.

• Advertisement

Micky 32 wrote: »
    A question about the green cert. So you meet the criteria and off you go but will the government still expect you to sign the locator and then self isolate for 2 weeks on return? If so not much point of the cert.

The answer is no.
    (1) If you are vaccinated
    (2) can present a 72 hour clear PCR
    (3) you can show you’ve recovered from covid in the last 6 months.

You don’t need to quarantine on arrival or return if you can satisfy these criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I think it was Thomas Byrne Minister for European Affairs on with Claire Byrne this morning basically saying that the green cert was on its way, think you can listen back to it on the rte website

dalyboy wrote: »
    The answer is no.
    (1) If you are vaccinated
    (2) can present a 72 hour clear PCR
    (3) you can show you’ve recovered from covid in the last 6 months.

You don’t need to quarantine on arrival or return if you can satisfy these criteria.

Time to start licking people again

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

I think it was Thomas Byrne Minister for European Affairs on with Claire Byrne this morning basically saying that the green cert was on its way, think you can listen back to it on the rte website

yes heard this,he was a bit vague on parts of the cert,it sounded like the goverment were going to introduce the cert but not all parts--like that only people after the vaccine were free to travel but i could be wrong on this.Also C.Byrne sounded like she had never even heard of the travel certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

fm wrote: »
    yes heard this,he was a bit vague on parts of the cert,it sounded like the goverment were going to introduce the cert but not all parts--like that only people after the vaccine were free to travel but i could be wrong on this.Also C.Byrne sounded like she had never even heard of the travel certificate.

I am not sure that an individual Country can introduce only Part of the EU Cert? I thought that it was in or out ?
    Hopefully, someone here knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

fm wrote: »

You cannot pick and choose the elements of the cert that you adopt or the timeline of adoption. Once the final cert is enacted at an EU level, the details apply to all member states and there is a maximum 6 week timeline allowable for Implementation.

As for the presenter not having heard of the cert, tells you all you need to know about the quality of Irish journalism.

Edit: these are the details of the cert as is currently known. However, as it has not been enacted yet, things could change for better or worse....

Golfman64 wrote: »
    You cannot pick and choose the elements of the cert that you adopt or the timeline of adoption. Once the final cert is enacted at an EU level, the details apply to all member states and there is a maximum 6 week timeline allowable for Implementation.

As for the presenter not having heard of the cert, tells you all you need to know about the quality of Irish journalism.

Edit: these are the details of the cert as is currently known. However, as it has not been enacted yet, things could change for better or worse....

Yes, that is what I thought.

Well, hopefully any amendments pre-enactment are not for the worse.

dalyboy wrote: »
    But if you have a genuine reason to travel to visit the factory just ensure you have a record of a visit appointment made (email confirmation etc)

The government still allow foreign essential business to proceed.

100% genuine reason for me to travel, the company will provide me a letter. Not sure if my wife can tag along though? :pac:. It could be a bit like a Monty Python sketch 'I'm Brian, and so is my wife'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Other barriers can be put in the way tho by individual countries. Good chance that fine for travelling to the airport will be here well into June and that PCRs will be required for those travelling back from the EU even if vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

100% genuine reason for me to travel, the company will provide me a letter. Not sure if my wife can tag along though? :pac:. It could be a bit like a Monty Python sketch 'I'm Brian, and so is my wife'.

You could get a letter from a medical professional saying it would be unsafe for your wife to be left alone for an extended period of time.

josip wrote: »
    You could get a letter from a medical professional saying it would be unsafe for your wife to be left alone for an extended period of time.

Would a letter from my bank manager do, it would be 100% legit :pac:

Tazz T wrote: »
    Other barriers can be put in the way tho by individual countries. Good chance that fine for travelling to the airport will be here well into June and that PCRs will be required for those travelling back from the EU even if vaccinated.

How long do you think that the €2k fine will be there ?

Personally, we won't travel until at least Husband and I are vaccinated. The PCR testing while expensive is not a complete deterrent for us. But the fines are a deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

SusanC10 wrote: »

Personally, we won't travel until at least Husband and I are vaccinated. The PCR testing while expensive is not a complete deterrent for us. But the fines are a deterrent.

No idea. Certainly all of May. They would need to think about removing it when the digital cert comes in during June, but there's still that six week implementation, so...

The PCR thing is a big deterrent for those with kids, really bumps up the cost, and would be very convenient for the government to keep this to keep travel to a minimum (although not very ethical to discriminate against families where parents have been vaxxed).

SusanC10 wrote: »

The legislation is due to expire in June I believe. I'm not sure what their options are for extending that legislation. I couldn't see them extending by 3 months if that is the only option as I would imagine that it would be in violation of the green cert system. I think it may just quietly die a death? Others on here that have examined it may know better. It's all about public perception with this government. So it's a better option for them to leave it quietly slip away and hope no one notices.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Tazz T wrote: »

Under the current guidelines proposed for the cert, a 'green' cert will ensure the bearer quarantine and restriction free entry which also exempts the bearer from the requirement of a PCR test.

Re: the airport fine, again the green cert does not allow for this as the bearer must be granted the right to quarantine and restriction free travel within the EU.

We do need to remember though:
    • The final details of the cert have not been written into EU law yet and are subject to change
      The Irish Gov could make a written request for an exception to the cert although I see this as unlikely given the situation here currently is under control

• Advertisement

Under the current guidelines proposed for the cert, a 'green' cert will ensure the bearer quarantine and restriction free entry which also exempts the bearer from the requirement of a PCR test.

Re: the airport fine, again the green cert does not allow for this as the bearer must be granted the right to quarantine and restriction free travel within the EU.

We do need to remember though:
    • The final details of the cert have not been written into EU law yet and are subject to change
      The Irish Gov could make a written request for an exception to the cert although I see this as unlikely given the situation here currently is under control

Thank you for this.

Well, hopefully there are no changes and the Irish Government accept it when enacted at EU Level.

When are the details due to be finalised ? Or when is the final vote on it?

restriction free entry

I know this is being picky, but does it also provide for restriction free exit. It's all about stopping Irish people going on holiday, far less emphasis being placed on stopping tourists coming in. Just take the case of India. Not at the top of anyone's vacation list given their numbers, a high risk to us as we could e used as the backdoor to the UK, yet no rush or panic whatsoever on the government, NPHET or the travel advisory group to add them. Yet huge panic over Italy.....anyone else find that strange?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm aiming for mid September anyway and by everything I'm reading we should definitely be good to go by then.

Ya, I'm the same. Whilst I'd love to be able to head off somewhere before then (hell, multiple places and times before then), it's not likely. I expect the government to make it very difficult for travel before August at the earliest. They'll try to drag it out through the school holidays to reduce down people travelling and keep money in the economy. After that and with surely nearly everyone vaccinated by then, it should hopefully be easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

The legislation is due to expire in June I believe. I'm not sure what their options are for extending that legislation. I couldn't see them extending by 3 months if that is the only option as I would imagine that it would be in violation of the green cert system. I think it may just quietly die a death? Others on here that have examined it may know better. It's all about public perception with this government. So it's a better option for them to leave it quietly slip away and hope no one notices.

They also must know that if they don’t remove it but allow inter county travel that Belfast Airport will need to expand instantly as every Irish person wanting to travel will just go there.

I think they will do what they did last year, try and convince people it’s wrong etc but not actually have a law to stop it. I don’t think people will listen this year and August will be busy.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    They also must know that if they don’t remove it but allow inter county travel that Belfast Airport will need to expand instantly as every Irish person wanting to travel will just go there.

I think they will do what they did last year, try and convince people it’s wrong etc but not actually have a law to stop it. I don’t think people will listen this year and August will be busy.

I hope so. I think they've largely given up policing travel within the country as it is. I travelled through 10 or 11 counties yesterday, some more than once, 775km of driving and I didn't meet one check point, in fact I hardly saw a guard. They have enough to be doing, and I would imagine they'll be a rare sight at the airports as well in a few weeks.

The biggest issue for a lot travellers is that they cancelled their holiday last year and were issued a credit note to be used this year. Be that hotels , apartments and camp sites etc.

I personally know 3 families who are on the hook to lose 2k each in credit note value if they don’t use them this year as the hosts will not facilitate an ongoing credit to transfer indefinitely.
    They’ll probably use Belfast as alternative come the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

I don't see where this optimism about Belfast is coming from. Fair enough for those who are just planning on visiting England, Wales or Scotland. Realistically, those will be the first routes to open up from Dublin too when travel is allowed, never mind Belfast. But for anyone looking to use Belfast as a backdoor to Spain or something, the noises coming out of the UK are anything but positive. Currently travel is illegal there and they have not confirmed that they will lift it in May, or even when they will make an announcement. The proposed traffic light system looks to be very restricted and expensive, and they say that it is too early to announce which countries will be on the green list.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Maybe this explains the swift uturn from kite flying at the start of the week that intercounty travel will come forward to June back to hand wringing mealy mouth statements from varadkar today that "concerns have been raised" "it would make you pause" blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hilzabeaatch

Dr. Em wrote: »
    I don't see where this optimism about Belfast is coming from. Fair enough for those who are just planning on visiting England, Wales or Scotland. Realistically, those will be the first routes to open up from Dublin too when travel is allowed, never mind Belfast. But for anyone looking to use Belfast as a backdoor to Spain or something, the noises coming out of the UK are anything but positive. Currently travel is illegal there and they have not confirmed that they will lift it in May, or even when they will make an announcement. The proposed traffic light system looks to be very restricted and expensive, and they say that it is too early to announce which countries will be on the green list.

I agree with this. From what I read many EU countries expected to be on amber list. This means a test before flying to UK and 2 PCR tests after arrival in UK, which it seems you have to book as a package before you fly. What this means for ppl flying to Belfast and then going to ROI, I don't know but it doesn't sound cheap. Maybe someone has more info?

• Advertisement

I agree with this. From what I read many EU countries expected to be on amber list. This means a test before flying to UK and 2 PCR tests after arrival in UK, which it seems you have to book as a package before you fly. What this means for ppl flying to Belfast and then going to ROI, I don't know but it doesn't sound cheap. Maybe someone has more info?

If you think about it, the same testing regime is about the best we can expect here. I think it's the status of the MHQ and the €2k resident tax will make the difference. A lot of different factors should hopefully lead to a large reduction in number in Europe over the next few weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement