Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭saabsaab

fm wrote: »
    Seeing as you post the most on this thread, what are your plans for travel this year? (please don't mention "variant" in your answer thanks.)

Variant and more variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭fm

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭fm

saabsaab wrote: »
    Variant and more variant.

What are your holiday plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭TobyHolmes

In the middle of a pandemic?

its true though - they are travelling -social media would let you know that fairly lively. even New Zealand and Australia have a travel corridor.

meanwhile in ireland .....

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭eltonyio

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    did they ever explain the methodology for what countries are on the list?

We were talking about this earlier. Of course not - we can't even find out the personnel of the committee.

As I said this morning, there quite possibly isn't a set of parameters. If there was, why would:

Israel be on it, and then suddenly post a court challenge be removed
    India not to be on it (233k cases per day and their scariant)
    Bermuda is on it! (7 day average of 46 cases per day, 3 deaths in last 7 days)
    Belgium but not Netherlands?
    France but not Germany?
    No Poland?
    Wallis and Futuna? 

• Advertisement

Tazz T wrote: »
    At the end of a pandemic.

Now go away.

No. Not traveling.

Too soon to say it's over.

Boris has stated that he expects to see a further surge at the end of summer!

Returning holiday makers bringing in new variants expected?

No. Not traveling.

The Ailwee Caves should be open soon (great hiding place) and all going well non essential retail reopening will allow you to get some new curtains soon too.

eltonyio wrote: »
    The Ailwee Caves should be open soon (great hiding place) and all going well non essential retail reopening will allow you to get some new curtains soon too.

Enjoy your MHQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭TobyHolmes

eltonyio wrote: »
    We were talking about this earlier. Of course not - we can't even find out the personnel of the committee.

As I said this morning, there quite possibly isn't a set of parameters. If there was, why would:

Israel be on it, and then suddenly post a court challenge be removed
    India not to be on it (233k cases per day and their scariant)
    Bermuda is on it! (7 day average of 46 cases per day, 3 deaths in last 7 days)
    Belgium but not Netherlands?
    France but not Germany?
    No Poland?
    Wallis and Futuna?

really odd. have any journalists asked in the briefings lately - i havent been watching them so dont know. i'd be surprised if journalists arent asking this question.

if no parameters then picking names out of a hat really :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

No. Not traveling.

So is it impolite to ask why you are bothering to be in a travel megathread in the covid section ?

Enjoy your MHQ.

It's not in Belfast as you know for EU countries. As you know.

Enjoy the new drapes.

really odd. have any journalists asked in the briefings lately - i havent been watching them so dont know. i'd be surprised if journalists arent asking this question.

if no parameters then picking names out of a hat really :pac:

India should be on it. They say it is under constant review.

corkonion wrote: »
    So is it impolite to ask why you are bothering to be in a travel megathread in the covid section ?

Didn't know it was exclusive. Covid is the issue and travel brought it here and may still bring the mark 2 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

did they ever explain the methodology for what countries are on the list?

Google is your friend.
    Notes

The Expert Advisory Group on Travel (EAGT) was established on 1 March 2021 to develop a method of risk assessing States and consider all concerns COVID-19 poses for travel.

The Group meets every two weeks to recommend amendments to the list of Designated States, taking into account:

• countries with outbreak involving known variants of concern

• countries with a very high 14-day incidence (≥500/100,000)

• countries with a high 14-day incidence (greater than 2.5 times Ireland’s 14-day incidence but <500/100,000)

These recommendations are considered by the Chief Medical Officer who in turn makes a recommendation to the Minister for Health.

The EAGT has emphasised the ongoing risk presented by variants of concern, variants of interest and the challenge posed by the limited availability of data relating to the locations and spread of VOCs.

The group will give ongoing consideration to any other measures they deem required to reduce the risk of imported cases of COVID-19.

The above seems to come with the general caveat that any list is subject to change etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Too soon to say it's over.

Boris has stated that he expects to see a further surge at the end of summer!

Returning holiday makers bringing in new variants expected?
    Didn't know it was exclusive. Covid is the issue and travel brought it here and may still bring the mark 2 version.

Ah i see , so when you posted earlier that MHQ was only a temporary measure for a couple of months ( i think you mentioned June) you don’t really think that at all? Or do you love contradicting yourself?

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Ah i see , so when you posted earlier that MHQ was only a temporary measure for a couple of months ( i think you mentioned June) you don’t really think that at all? Or do you love contradicting yourself?

You didn't read that properly I was quoting Boris! Surprised at his statement really. I still think that we could be opening up late June.

Do you only read posts that suit your narrative? Maybe you like posting bolloxogy. If you read my earlier posts i posted that if i travel to the USA it would be to relocate if the restrictions aren’t relaxed here by the latter part of the year. Thats not breaking the law. I’m in a great position to do it. Best of luck to any cop that gets my cash if they choose to fine me.

So yes in my case it would be ‘true’.

Are you incapable of understanding simple questions?

Why would your passport matter?

Should I ask again?

You didn't read that properly I was quoting Boris! Surprised at his statement really. I still think that we could be opening up late June.

Ah right, but why qoute it though? I would be surprised if there was a surge at the end of the summer. If that was the case it would mean the vaccines don’t work. It’s a bold claim.

Ah right, but why qoute it though? I would be surprised if there was a surge at the end of the summer. If that was the case it would mean the vaccines don’t work. It’s a bold claim.

I quoted him because a poster said we were at the end of the pandemic. Boris seems not to think so.

• Advertisement

Tazz T wrote: »
    A US friend got in touch with me today to ask if I wanted to go to Greece as the US are allowed in now. She was utterly shocked when I said that in Ireland we're not allowed 20km from our homes and there's a 2k fine for trying to go to the airport for non-essential travel.

'But you have hardly any infections or deaths?'

How can anyone continue to justify MHQ and the continued shutdown of normal travel? 'totally weird.'

I don't think people understand how keeping numbers down is achieved or why restrictions are in place.

Should we have adopted the "**** it" attitude of the US which saw 15% of their population confirmed as infected and have 20% of the total world deaths in their own country which makes up only 4% of the global population?

But then maybe your friend is proud of the usa being number 1 (in both cases and deaths)

I quoted him because a poster said we were at the end of the pandemic. Boris seems not to think so.

Well that means you must agree with Boris then.

Are you incapable of understanding simple questions?

Why would your passport matter?

Should I ask again?

I think it’s you that’s incapable of understanding. A poster suggested i use my USA passport when i get to the airport i agreed by saying true because why not? I’m entitled to. I know i won’t be breaking the law so your argument is moot. I’m entitled to use whatever passport i see fit that I possess . Someone suggested you maybe a gard ( oh sorry guard)? If so and whoever i encounter ( even if it’s you) you won’t be seeing my irish passport, you’ll have to make do with my USA passport. Is that easy for you to understand?

Either way you or anyone else won’t be issuing me a fine.

I think it’s you that’s incapable of understanding. A poster suggested i use my USA passport when i get to the airport i agreed by saying true. I know i won’t be breaking the law so your argument is moot. I’m entitled to use whatever passport i see fit that I possess . Someone suggested you maybe a gard ( oh sorry guard)? If so and whoever i encounter ( even if it’s you) you won’t be seeing my irish passport, you’ll have to make do with my USA passport. Is that easy for you to understand?

Either way you or anyone else won’t be issuing me a fine.

And again for the third ****ing time, why does showing a us passport make you untouchable?

THAT was what was said. The rest is just your attempt to backtrack
    In that case you can just flash your US passport at the Airport and the Gards can't fine you for going anywhere.
    True

Well that means you must agree with Boris then.

How can you say that? Just shows that some think it's not. Maybe they are right maybe not. Its not over now in any case or until probably the end of June, I'd say.

I hope that Boris is wrong and would say he is (unless he knows something we don't)

So if you come across a foreign national heading to departures, you ask them to prove they are not resident in Ireland?
    How do you go about that?

I have been to the airport to drop off foreign nationals heading home a lot over the last 3 months. I've probably met you a few times ;).

In my experience, once they flash their passport and it's not Irish they are waved on by your good selves, no questions asked.

You can't prove a negative. You can however prove where you are a resident and it's got absolutely **** all to do with your passport.

So again for both of you, why do you think the passport makes your immune?

And again for the third ****ing time, why does showing a us passport make you untouchable?

THAT was what was said. The rest is just your attempt to backtrack

You’re still not capable of understanding are you? I’d appreciate you don’t swear at me, is that normal practice for a GARD? Very aggressive.

I never said it made me untouchable? Show me where i said that? You made that up or you’re seeing things. The fine does not relate to me anyway so i have no reason to think a different passport makes me untouchable.

I said “true” because of the fact i can’t be fined for relocating out of the country. You are taking the word “ true” and adding 2+2 and getting 5. You need to learn to properly understand peoples posts and not see what you want to see. Now go back under your rock as i have answered your question.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/20/france-is-first-eu-member-state-to-start-testing-digital-covid-travel-certificate

Sounds like an interesting trial in France. 21st June starting to look like a key date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I don't think people understand how keeping numbers down is achieved or why restrictions are in place.

Should we have adopted the "**** it" attitude of the US which saw 15% of their population confirmed as infected and have 20% of the total world deaths in their own country which makes up only 4% of the global population?

But then maybe your friend is proud of the usa being number 1 (in both cases and deaths)

Again the pandemic is over. The US didn't do it right under Trump. But they've rolled out the vaccinations and sorted it. They're now acting proportionally. we are not.

Numbers are down. Restrictions are now disproportional.

Next month we'll be down to negligible numbers, half the population vaccinated and still unrationally restricted, destroying the economy.

On the bright side, as the pandemic disappears, so will you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

What a ****show this thread is seriously. There's another thread poignantly named exactly for the kind of outrage that is filling up here. Whats the point in two threads with the same back and forth, finger waving, gatekeeping, obnoxious stuff?(some from both sides)

The other thread is about shutting the airports etc with it's eloquent title, so whats this for? Surely can be used to discuss actual travel, future travel, destinations which are opening up and more, requirements etc, rather than the obvious baiting and winding up that goes on with 90% of posts from some posters the exact same things repeated ad nauseam.

Let the other thread to that nonsense. Surely a mod has been seeing this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement