Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Leary Throws Down The Gauntlet To NPHET

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,317 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Pretty clear O’Leary was on a deflect and distract mission this morning

Huge issues still for him and his company regarding refunds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Hyperbole much? Yes, the government has borrowed enormously, the difference this time though is that it's practically free money.

Great.

So instead of borrowing 21 billion and paying back 22 billion, we are only 21 billion in the red.

For perspective of how much money this is, the motorway between Blanch and Kells was built for 600 million. The debt is worth over 30 of those motorways.

Probably the most staggeringly stupid post I've ever read here. You would think we were given 21 billion that didn't need to be paid bacl.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

So if you infect a vulnerable person through bloodimindedness and they die, would you consider ending your own life as recompense?

If you are vulnerable it is up to you to decide how much risk you take. Talk to a CF patient and you will find some of them severely restrict their movements during flu season to protect themselves but it is a choice and a personal choice. If a CF patient picks up a severe flu in a supermarket it can kill them but I don't think anyone blamed the guy in the supermarket with the flu bug....why is Covid so different ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Great.

So instead of borrowing 21 billion and paying back 22 billion, we are only 21 billion in the red.

For perspective of how much money this is, the motorway between Blanch and Kells was built for 600 million. The debt is worth over 30 of those motorways.

Probably the most staggeringly stupid post I've ever read here. You would think we were given 21 billion that didn't need to be paid bacl.

Among covidistas all critical faculties have vanished

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭trashcan

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    This man should be president

Not in any country I’m living in I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭trashcan

Among covidistas all critical faculties have vanished

Is “codavistas” the new “lockdown brigade”? :rolleyes:

Cole wrote: »
    The only reassuring thing about some of the halfwit nutjob sh1te spouted in this thread about taking back our country blah, blah, blah is that the vast majority of people in Ireland think it's just that...sh1te. It doesn't matter how many 'likes' the posts get on an online forum, very few people take it seriously.

I'm looking forward to sitting down later and watching Tony Holohan and his colleagues from NPHET updating and informing us on some of the issues around Covid-19.

Which is why you are reading it and commenting on it rather than watching Saint Tony. Dismiss and discredit away......

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

Augeo wrote: »
    This is hysterical nonsense, there is no nationwide general emergency. There are folk struggling, no doubt...... but there's no nationwide general emergency.

Of course its a national emergency

The HSE is in crisis mode
    Mental health is in crisis mode (read this if you think it isn't - https://www.samaritans.org/about-samaritans/research-policy/understanding-our-callers-during-covid-19-pandemic/)
    Soo many small businesses have closed and many more will
    Big businesses have closed too
    We aren't allowed to travel more than 5km
    People can't see their dying relatives (or any of their relatives or friends)
    Homelessness will rise
    Children aren't getting educated
    No-one other than essential workers are working (unless it's at home)
    Travel & Events industries are basically non existent
    Some pubs never opened all year, who know when nightclubs will re-open
    Mass is cancelled (Mass & pubs are normally a lifeline for many elderly living alone especially in rural areas)
    The country is running up a debt, that it will probably still be being repaid in 100 years
    Unemployment will increase even more when PUP & other schemes end

Nothing is operating as normal, everything we do is done according to covid legislation, every business, every person, every activity is different now due to emergency covid restrictions

How does this not constitute a national emergency?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭buried

O'Leary is an out and out disgrace. His whole shtick is literally to cover his own arse on his companies greasy share-price. That's it. He doesn't care about the welfare of this country and the people who live in it. He also knows full well the measures he was spouting this morning will in no way be implemented whatsoever, so all he is doing is causing widespread upset and division among the populace in order to market and advertise his company. He knows we are all sick of it, I'm sick of it too, but instead of trying to help he is sowing more division and trouble. Mere greasy market stall shopkeeper $hit-stirring. Where was this greasy till fumbler in early January when the cases here were into the 8000's and his adverts were on TV telling you to book your flights to Benidorm, then the adverts disappeared? Nowhere, that's where he was.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 24,837 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    O'LEARY would have done an Israel on it and we would be nearly sorted by now and I would happily pay 999 euros for a jab as it is clear now it is the only way the powers that be will change direction. It would be cheap at that price in comparison to the financial mess around us !!

Right...Because MOL has experience and demonstrated abilities in leading a country in unprecedented times of crises ? NO

Or maybe...Because O’Leary has a medical degree or doctorate and experience in care and social requirements as relates to a pandemic or indeed even any medical issue ? NO

Could it be... Because O’Leary has the best interests of the nation and the health thereof in mind ahead of just making money ? NO

I’ve been a regular Ryanair flyer but if I can at all help it, I’ll be not giving them or him a cent of my cash going forward...

• Advertisement

buried wrote: »
    O'Leary is an out and out disgrace. His whole shtick is literally to cover his own arse on his companies greasy share-price. That's it. He doesn't care about the welfare of this country and the people who live in it. He also knows full well the measures he was spouting this morning will in no way be implemented whatsoever, so all he is doing is causing widespread upset and division among the populace in order to market and advertise his company. He knows we are all sick of it, I'm sick of it too, but instead of trying to help he is sowing more division and trouble. Mere greasy market stall shopkeeper $hit-stirring. Where was this greasy till fumbler in early January when the cases here were into the 8000's and his adverts were on TV telling you to book your flights to Benidorm, then the adverts disappeared? Nowhere, that's where he was.

So you won't be flying with the great Ryanair in future then to show your moral superiority!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

If you are vulnerable it is up to you to decide how much risk you take. Talk to a CF patient and you will find some of them severely restrict their movements during flu season to protect themselves but it is a choice and a personal choice. If a CF patient picks up a severe flu in a supermarket it can kill them but I don't think anyone blamed the guy in the supermarket with the flu bug....why is Covid so different ?

How do you know you aren't vulnerable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I think he has a point. We should forget everyone who died or sacrificed anything so his share price recovers.

We all need to take one for the team, go travelling and bring back the next variant. He's been a treat to the public health of the nation since the start.

He couldn't give a fvck how many people he exploits.

Strumms wrote: »
    Right...Because MOL has experience and demonstrated abilities in leading a country in unprecedented times of crises ? NO

Or maybe...Because O’Leary has a medical degree or doctorate and experience in care and social requirements as relates to a pandemic or indeed even any medical issue ? NO

Could it be... Because O’Leary has the best interests of the nation and the health thereof in mind ahead of just making money ? NO

I’ve been a regular Ryanair flyer but if I can at all help it, I’ll be not giving them or him a cent of my cash going forward...

Good luck with that or unlike most people in a years time when the 20 euro flights to hen /stag / sun hollier destination pops up you will ignore and take a 200 euro option with BA or Aer Lingus but feel morally super !! If you do fair play to ya....

So you won't be flying with the great Ryanair in future then to show your moral superiority!!

No, I won't. I've never sought to fly with them if I'm going anywhere on my own bat either. I've never liked how they treat their own employee's, which is another out and out disgrace this guy likes to brush off in order to keep his almighty grease god happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Cole wrote: »
    The only reassuring thing about some of the halfwit nutjob sh1te spouted in this thread about taking back our country blah, blah, blah is that the vast majority of people in Ireland think it's just that...sh1te. It doesn't matter how many 'likes' the posts get on an online forum, very few people take it seriously.

I'm looking forward to sitting down later and watching Tony Holohan and his colleagues from NPHET updating and informing us on some of the issues around Covid-19.

I know RTE's entertainment output has been suspect of late at best but I would worry for your sanity if that is something that you look forward to watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

So many ppl (family, friends, work contacts)have said to me they’ll be boycotting Ryanair for life after the despicable carry on of Ryanair over the last year.

How many times is that now?

Remember 3 odd years ago when they pulled loads of people's flights and it would be the end of trust in them?

It is so long in the ether I can't even remember the details. That's how long these things last in the public memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,276 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

He'll get the same attention the vintners did, zilch. Back in your box O'Leary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭HBC08

Arghus wrote: »
    100%

Nail on the head.

Bang on the money.

O' Leary is the epitome of a businessman trying solely to look after his own interests, which he's entitled to do, but people should really apply some critical thinking to what he's actually saying - it is rubbish.

But then again if you can't instantly see it for the pure self serving nonsense that it clearly is, then maybe your powers of analysis aren't too hot to begin with.

Still, a huge cohort out there taken in by his nonsense. Well, a cohort, with an outsized presence online and on boards in particular.

100% perfectly summed up.
    The critical thinking point is well made,I often wonder how some of the posters on here manage to hold down a job and just generally get through life.
    If you were to think Covid threads on boards is a reflection of the real world then the real world would look pretty grim.

How do you know you aren't vulnerable?

I don't but I as far as I can make our I am fit and healthy and look after myself. Having said that could die tomorrow of many conditions. So I can either live in fear and die having done nothing or get on with my life and enjoy it.

Even you asking this question worries me as it possibly shows a state of mind that is now hyper alert to risk and danger. For me it will be one of the saddest by products of Covid, growth of fear in people.

• Advertisement

No, I won't. I've never sought to fly with them if I'm going anywhere on my own bat either. I've never liked how they treat their own employee's, which is another out and out disgrace this guy likes to brush off in order to keep his almighty grease god happy.

Good politicians answer.....but okay if you are heading off in a big group, lads /ladies weekend etc etc !! You either will or won't fly with them......

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

We should look at the motivation of different parties in calling to reopen. Lots of vested interests lobbying to reopen and criticising measures including publicans, airlines etc.

You just said publicans weren't doing it and now you say they are?

We should look at the effect on the people who are calling for continued lockdowns and shutting of everything:

Job losses - none of the people doing the damage are losing their jobs

Penisons & savings - all the people doing the damages are sorted for life

WFH - all the people doing the damages are in big houses with offices in sheds, big gardens

Rules - they break them or are allowed break them. tubirdy & co are essential apparently. who sets these rules?, RTE parties, golf gate, vaccinations to their kids

Fines - I assume the guards wouldn't fine eachother, wouldn't stop holohan, any sports person or politician. Just the rest of us eejits :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

The gardai at the airport must be having an awful effect on the booking pipeline.

Very unlike Michael to throw his toys out of the pram like that........it must be serious.

The lads on reddit might start shorting it.......

Good politicians answer.....but okay if you are heading off in a big group, lads /ladies weekend etc etc !! You either will or won't fly with them......

My going on stag days are over, thank the gods. Everybody I know is de-mantled.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,482 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So he wants to make more money out of us. Does that give him a bigger say in this than any of the rest of us? No!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Lot of fresh accounts on this thread, all singing off the same hymn sheet....

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Which is why you are reading it and commenting on it rather than watching Saint Tony. Dismiss and discredit away......

He's not on yet but should be soon...just putting the kettle on.

My going on stag days are over, thank the gods. Everybody I know is de-mantled.

Mine too thankfully......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Augeo wrote: »
    This is hysterical nonsense, there is no nationwide general emergency. There are folk struggling, no doubt...... but there's no nationwide general emergency.

Have you seen the national debt figures, will be close to 300 bn if you add in the public sector time bomb

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,317 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’ve been struck by the amount of ppl who’ve said they will never fly Ryanair again after their carry on over the past year. Lots of ppl are taking a stand as a matter of principle against O’Leary

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement