Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Leary Throws Down The Gauntlet To NPHET

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Cole wrote: »
    He's not on yet but should be soon...just putting the kettle on.

Well enjoy the nightly drama !! Will we see a few 'alarming rise' or 'gravely concerned' or 'caution needed' or perhaps something new and creative tonight !!

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

I’ve been struck by the amount of ppl who’ve said they will never fly Ryanair again after their carry on over the past year. Lots of ppl are taking a stand as a matter of principle against O’Leary

Let's see them put their money where their mouths are cos it all sounds like bull to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Interesting thread title. Yesterday I posted this tweet and asked "Is running a gauntlet classed as exercise from Monday" In response to this tweet. It seems that anyone going to the airport for unnecessary travel (which is the vast source of Michael's revenue) will in fact be running a gauntlet trying to dodge gardai with hollow excuses.

So is it the gov putting the gauntlet down for Michael or is Michael putting the gauntlet down for the gov. What even is a gauntlet?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116120272&postcount=8555

https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1355905069712109575?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

o leary is good at what he does, doctor are best left to their fields , imagine a doctor telling o leary how to run a airline ,
    sure we all have our opinions .

that said , I sit each night and look at Dr holohan , I know he knows what needs to be done , and that the government bottled it back in November when the doctor told them what to do .
    basically his hands are tied and it's the civil service that have their hand on the hangman's latch level , so go out and preach it like it needs to be heard .

rock and a hard place for the doc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

buried wrote: »
    No, I won't. I've never sought to fly with them if I'm going anywhere on my own bat either. I've never liked how they treat their own employee's, which is another out and out disgrace this guy likes to brush off in order to keep his almighty grease god happy.

Good for you. I'm guessing you have the money to fly with other more expensive carriers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

kerry cow wrote: »
    o leary is good at what he does, doctor are best left to their fields , imagine a doctor telling o leary how to run a airline ,
    sure we all have our opinions .

that said , I sit each night and look at Dr holohan , I know he knows what needs to be done , and that the government bottled it back in November when the doctor told them what to do .
    basically his hands are tied and it's the civil service that have their hand on the hangman's latch level , so go out and preach it like it needs to be heard .

rock and a hard place for the doc

You’d wonder if he should speak up against the government...

If he had the backing of nearly every medical person and the majority of the country ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Russman

The economy is destroyed businesses are collapsed and never opening again hundreds of thousands are going to be permanently out of work are going to lose everything they have including their homes and end up in tents in the cold and rain.

People cannot meet their loved ones friends family relations girlfriends boyfriends and face fines and prosecutions if they do so.

They are being forced into a pathetic lonely mindnumbingly soulless existence that will drive many to mental breakdown.

NPHET are the most colorless boring pathetic sadistic narcisstic and quite frankly malevolent group of monsters this country has been foisted with since the bad days of Catholic Ireland.

Thankfully O'Leary is standing up and being counted. Hopefully others will rally across all walks of life and demand this insanity ends and ends NOW!

Yet that’s exactly what people who want to open up are advocating, you know, protect the vulnerable, let them stay indoors etc etc while everyone else just gets on with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Risteard77

Seweryn wrote: »
    In fairness hospitals are always full this time of year, they are no different this season.

It has been the quietest year in a long time in hospitals. ICU had a couple of spikes last April & now, other than that hospitals have been very quiet but RTE will have you believe otherwise.

I know myself I work in one on the wards in a Hospital, granted not in Dublin but a large hospital none the less in terms of population. Have a look at the INMO trolley figures compared to this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

What qualifications does Tony Holohan have in the area of immunology, epidemiology or infectious diseases?

he has said time and time again that he is not an epidemiologist,immunologist or that he knows everything about infectious diseases
    but hes surrounded by people who are highly qualified in those areas.

much more that that gob****e o leary is.o leary is only worried about one thing and thats profits.money.he doesnt give a **** who dies or how many as long as hes making money.

Risteard77 wrote: »
    I know myself I work in one on the wards. Have a look at the INMO trolley figures compared to this time last year.

Being fair,there more and more evidence to suggest covid was here,this time last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Russman wrote: »
    Yet that’s exactly what people who want to open up are advocating, you know, protect the vulnerable, let them stay indoors etc etc while everyone else just gets on with it.

As someone who is in a high risk group, I'll ask a question of those who want to lift restrictions that I've asked before and never received a satisfactory answer to - why is the normalisation of your life more important than mine? Letting everyone who isn't high risk do whatever they want is only going to prolong the length of time that Covid is around as it will continue to spread, so surely it's better for everyone to follow the restrictions now so it can be eradicated sooner? If you have elderly parents or grandparents, basically what you're saying to them is "fcuk you, as long as I can do what I please you don't matter".

It has been the quietest year in a long time in hospitals. ICU had a couple of spikes last April & now, other than that hospitals have been very quiet but RTE will have you believe otherwise.

I know myself I work in one on the wards. Have a look at the INMO trolley figures compared to this time last year.

Thanks for posting but you do realise you will now be written off as a 5g conspiracy theorist crank as you have dared to raise your head above the parapet.

Being fair,there more and more evidence to suggest covid was here,this time last year

Fair comment, yeah it possibly was here but trolley figures have been extremely high the last number of years well before Covid came along

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

O Leary is playing a dangerous game here. You must remember he has been encouraging mass travel at every stage of this crisis, the continent could be in meltdown and he would still everyone flying crammed in like sardines in a can.

This guy only cares about money and his company, he is not your friend or advocate. He wants you to book flights with Ryanair and then he will fight you when you need your money back.

He is not a doctor nor learned in the medical field , if the hospitals cant cope ,he wont care he will have the best of private care if he gets it, he wont be tending your elderly parents or relatives down the local overrun hospital.

He is using this crisis to his full advantage playing games with airports all over europe threatening not to return flights there next year unless they give him a massive discount. There is taking advantage of a crises, but this guy doesnt give a flying **** about the common man, he is approaching billionaire status, he only wants to line his pocket further.

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    Thanks for posting but you do realise you will now be written off as a 5g conspiracy theorist crank as you have dared to raise your head above the parapet.

Yes I am fully aware. You dare not speak your mind or give am honest assessment of what is going on. I am only giving an honest eyewitness account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

The bull**** out of him is unreal at this stage. Is it not false advertising to say how much something may cost and it turns out to cost a lot more due to the law of the land? The ads should have a full breakdown of potential costs......

caveat: this is what it should read if adhering to advertising standards.

541750.png

Yes I am fully aware. You dare not speak your mind or give am honest assessment of what is going on. I am only giving an honest eyewitness account

Have you a link for any of your tiktok videos?..

Zaph wrote: »
    As someone who is in a high risk group, I'll ask a question that I've asked before and never received a satisfactory answer to - why is the normalisation of your life more important than mine? Letting everyone who isn't high risk do whatever they want is only going to prolong the length of time that Covid is around as it will continue to spread, so surely it's better for everyone to follow the restrictions now so it can be eradicated sooner? If you have elderly parents or grandparents, basically what you're saying to them is "fcuk you, as long as I can do what I please you don't matter".

Don't think anyone is saying that but the vast majority of the population is not high risk so you are restricting the majority to protect a small minority which makes no sense. The small minority can isolate if they wish allowing society to continue to function. Covid is going nowhere it is an endemic virus so it willl never be eradicated and will continue like the flu to kill the old and vulnerable in the future. We will dramatically reduce this with vaccination and limit the damage to the vulnerable groups but a zero covid nirvana won't exist.

I have elderly parents who are at risk so to speak, they have been able to isolate as they sit fit and no one is saying that they shouldn't have that right but I cannot see or think how any reasonable person thinks they have the right to impose their choices onto other people like we have now. I support my parents to make whatever decision they want. If they want to isolate I respect that, if not as I don't see any need for me to isolate I will respect that too and happily spend time with them. It is their decision not mine. Just like I don't expect you to not isolate, if you want to go ahead , just don't ask me to lockdown against my will.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    Good luck with that or unlike most people in a years time when the 20 euro flights to hen /stag / sun hollier destination pops up you will ignore and take a 200 euro option with BA or Aer Lingus but feel morally super !! If you do fair play to ya....

If you book well or reasonably well in advance you will be paying a negligible difference...if any difference. If you do pay slightly more it’s usually worth it... going with their competition usually gives you 99 times out of 100...

- less of a walk to gates.

- gate with air bridges so not dragging yourself and your bags, family across a wet, windy and cold apron with bags to get to your plane. Where you Q in whatever weather at the steps to board.

- gate in close proximity to food ‘options’ and amenities.

- airports outside of the destination city you are trying to reach. Beauvais is not geographically in Paris...it’s in Picardy.

If you are flying to the Canaries or Nordics, their competition can be actually cheaper... as I experienced last year twice.. I guess other destinations too.

For these reasons, and the individual running them..if possible, whenever possible..no Ryanair

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Our country is on its knees.
    Our economy is destroyed.
    We face mass jobs losses mass poverty mass homelessness and ruin.
    Do you want the whole country boarded up for good?
    For the sake of a virus with a 99.97% survival rate.

What's the survival rate for people who can't get access to a hospital bed or a nurse if there are none available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭buried

GT89 wrote: »
    Good for you. I'm guessing you have the money to fly with other more expensive carriers.

Well, when I do decide I want to go somewhere I save for the occasion and that usually covers it. So maybe that's 'good for me'? The few times I went with the glorious Republic of Ryanair I probably spent the same amount in travel costs such as buses/taxis to get to the final destination anyways. One time at an airport me and my friends bags were lost from a ryanair flight, we missed our chartered transport to the hotel as a result, had to get a taxi afterwards that cost us 160 euros. Not much savings to be had there. Not much of an apology either. But sure what do you expect? Go low, get low.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

On the phone but as soon as I can I will get it
    corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Any evidence on your last point?

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/q-a-can-i-still-pass-covid-on-after-i-ve-been-vaccinated-1.4461158

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

As someone who is in a high risk group, I'll ask a question of those who want to lift restrictions that I've asked before and never received a satisfactory answer to - why is the normalisation of your life more important than mine? Letting everyone who isn't high risk do whatever they want is only going to prolong the length of time that Covid is around as it will continue to spread, so surely it's better for everyone to follow the restrictions now so it can be eradicated sooner? If you have elderly parents or grandparents, basically what you're saying to them is "fcuk you, as long as I can do what I please you don't matter".

How far would you be willing to take that line of reasoning. Why has your freedom been more important than protecting immunosuppressed people from flu and colds. Or someone with aids who could die from any infection. We should never open up again, protect everyone from everything.

chrisd2019 wrote: »
    There is supposed to be one, a government, but it has been replaced by the Leo and Mehole one trick pony.

If you blame those 2 then you have to blame all party leaders as there all on the same message. Hell there was bloody murder when they originally did not take Nphets advice before the last lockdown

Strumms wrote: »
    If you book well or reasonably well in advance you will be paying a negligible difference...if any difference. If you do pay slightly more it’s usually worth it... going with their competition usually gives you 99 times out of 100...

- less of a walk to gates.

- gate with air bridges so not dragging yourself and your bags, family across a wet, windy and cold apron with bags to get to your plane. Where you Q in whatever weather at the steps to board.

- gate in close proximity to food ‘options’ and amenities.

- airports outside of the destination city you are trying to reach. Beauvais is not geographically in Paris...it’s in Picardy.

If you are flying to the Canaries or Nordics, their competition can be actually cheaper... as I experienced last year twice.. I guess other destinations too.

For these reasons, and the individual running them..if possible, whenever possible..no Ryanair

Agree you can often get a flight cheaper with an alternative but they have also saved me a fortune over the years and I find flying with them simple if you stick to their rules !! Also do factor in without Ryanair's aggressive pricing it would hardly do anything to reduce pricing across the market....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Multipass wrote: »
    How far would you be willing to take that line of reasoning. Why has your freedom been more important than protecting immunosuppressed people from flu and colds. Or someone with aids who could die from any infection. We should never open up again, protect everyone from everything.

Reductio ad absurdum is a disingenuous mode of debate. Everybody is eventually wrong.

It’s never used if the point you want to make us solid enough in itself.

Multipass wrote: »

Unfortunately like so much of the Covid hysteria logic and reason has been removed and replaced with emotion and fear at a government policy level.

This never works out well and we are right on the middle of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Probably not strictly on topic here but will try to respond.

I think you are mischaracterising what people actually believe — or rather inferring (and perhaps understandably, depending on what you have seen people say) what they are saying as a personal attack on you and other vulnerable people. But it’s not really a question of anyone saying that the normalisation of their life is more important than the value of yours, it’s a question of striking the balance between all interests (present and future) because there has always been a tacit understanding in our society that there is a balance between saving lives and upholding the quality of life. There is also an understanding that, in general, promoting the concept of quality of life also indirectly leads to saving lives and prolonging life in general.

That’s not to say that we ever really achieve moral perfection in that endeavour and we all differ in how we think the balance must be struck. But personally, I think a lot of the people (acknowledging fully that there are exceptions) who you characterise as thinking your right to life has less value than their satisfaction from life are simply people who have a different view from you as regards the balance between prolongation and quality of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

I wonder how long people would have been happy to live like this had vaccines not been discovered. Remember there were concerns we may never get one. .

Thousands.

Possibly tens of thousands.

Look at the type of person on Twitter in Ireland who are the loudest cheerleaders for perennial lockdown.

Mostly already unemployed, or semi employed. Reclusive. Bitter. 98% aligned to left wing radical political ideologies. So seeing building developers and high street heavyweights go under is pretty entertaining to them.

When you are used to having no friends, no relationships, either no job or working minimal hours in a low paying one, 350 per week is quite a carrot. You don't care that pubs and nightclubs are shut because you never utilise them. You actually have a sense of schadenfraude that the rest of the population are now as skint, depressed and bitter as you are.

• Advertisement

No.

What happened here was that people did not take personal responsibility for themselves or their immediate family. There was a lie that Christmas could be normal. No. Covid is slightly dangerous to those in vulnerable categories. They should have been told to stay out of the way and their children and whoever else should have eliminated their movements around them. Likewise, some personal responsibility on their part too. I'm not criticising them or anything; they were entitled to their freedom as well as anybody. I wouldn't want to live in fear in the last years of my life, if I am at or near the average life expectancy then I'd be happy with my innings. Hell no am I living like a hermit in the last years.

They never said Christmas would be normal and no Covid where you getting that from. There was loads on TV and radio about limiting or stopping you moments if possible for 10 days before you were going to places. Wear masks while doing dinner no hugs or kisses wash your hand stay apart.

Anyway people should have known what to do without be told without been nannied but we lots of people keep showing that while they say no they do want a nanny system so if something goes wrong they can lat blame elsewhere and none on themselves

It was like people asking so what now when we lower the curve. I had people ask me I said what do you think after a minute they said keep it low. I said exactly. Then they went well why were we not told. I went why do you need to be

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement