Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Leary Throws Down The Gauntlet To NPHET

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Of course they will . :rolleyes: Until they see the exorbitant prices other airlines are charging.

Don't worry their higher moral stance will suddenly be forgotten when a 20 euro flight to the Costs del whatever appears.....

The answer to that is to increase hospital capacity (as we were told would happen, but hasn't) not make it unlawful for people to leave their homes. The population cannot be blackmailed, or held hostage, long term over a basic failure to government to make provision for inevitable surges.

Hospital cases would rise at a rate that could not be accommodated. What surge should we be able to manage … 20,000 cases/day, 40,000?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,915 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The only thing O’Leary is interested in is the health of his own balance sheets... he’s not coming out with that guff with the good of the public in mind... you’d need a serious brain scan if you were after lapping that codswallop up.

When you look at the states too, and compare the likes of NY to Florida.. similar population size..one probably on average older.. lockdown vs no lockdown..twice the deathrate with the lockdown..

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

public health is about public health, that is why it is called public health.
    the government have access to experts from multiple fields on multiple issues independantly of nphet, and realistically those experts are not in any way experts in public health and covid, hence having them as part of the response team would be unviable.
    taking their input separately to the medical experts and following the public health advice which is ultimately more important, is the best way for this to work, given it is a public health issue we are dealing with, all be it one which will cause damage outside health issues.

the health system has come very close to being overwhelmed at least in this particular serge, the reason it hasn't come close to collapse is because we acted quickly and implemented public health measures.
    tooling up extra ICU beds in huge numbers takes a serious amount of time and then they have to be staffed and equipped, you can't simply magic it up over night, and realistically then there is the case of what happens to those beds once covid is no longer a problem, you cannot keep beds and staff which will end up disused 99% of the time.
    to protect the country and the main parts of the economy, we shut on a temporary basis, the non-essential parts of the economy which are the minor contributers, in turn focusing on keeping open and protecting the major contributers which keep the whole show on the road on a basic level.

Is mental health not also part of public health - and NPHET don't seem to be taking any account of it?
    Lockdown is taking its toll on people.

It is also not just a public health emergency - it is caused due to a risk to public health, but it is also an economic emergency, and educational emergency etc

No aspect of COVID should be looked at in isolation. A team of experts across all fields should make the decisions.

The government might have a range of advisers, but how much is the advice listened to, how long are they given to consider the NPHET advice - eg: NPHET advise, stage 5 on Wedensday, government do it on Thursday - how much has the other expert advice been listened too, have they even had time to review the advice, never mind analyse it and be able to properly advise the government. They should all be sitting in one group!

Just as example of what should be happening, Perhaps NPHET stay as one group and a representative sits on another group which includes a much wider range of experts..this group then deliberates NPHET's advice and advises the government.

IMO its impossible to view this purely as a public health emergency.

Locking down the country and closing businesses for almost a year means that what may initially have started as a public health emergency has emerged into a nationwide general emergency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chrisd2019

If only there were a group higher up then Nphet whose job it is to take everything in to account and then take decisions. I wonder who that could be. They be laughing away at getting away and blaming everything on 1 group. Of course we eat it up

There is supposed to be one, a government, but it has been replaced by the Leo and Mehole one trick pony.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,289 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

O leary has a few good points about business and economy but he would fill every plane every day into every airport if left to his own devices so his opinion is null and void.

I wonder how long people would have been happy to live like this had vaccines not been discovered. Remember there were concerns we may never get one. The extent of people's morality was given an easy get out thanks to the spectacular speed of development.

A more grown up, if emotionally detached society would be able to discuss numbers of deaths we could tolerate.

As Pfizer puts it, Science will win ;)

trixi001 wrote: »

Locking down the country and closing businesses for almost a year means that what may initially have started as a public health emergency has emerged into a nationwide general emergency.

This is hysterical nonsense, there is no nationwide general emergency. There are folk struggling, no doubt...... but there's no nationwide general emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

There was me thinking Covid related threads here could not get any more absurd or surreal, and then I came across this one,

A thread started by a Covid denyer on the mutterings of that world renowned epidemiologist and humanitarian, Michael O Leary

• Advertisement

Flatten the curve!!

You're dead right. Look at this stage people are entrenched in their positions. Old people are revered in our societies so a mindset of telling them to stay out of the way, lock themselves up and come out when it's safe to do is frowned upon. We all have to endure the hardship as opposed to those most at risk. It makes no sense to me at all. The only retort is that given that young people may live with those vulnerable to Covid then the reality is the economy would be running at half speed anyway. This would equally be damaging but not really because we can still avail of the low interest rate to subsise them. We put less pressure on the economy and on people. The old act in their own interest and stay out of harms way.

Yes spot on. Of course Covid was going to have some impact on the economy but it could have been hugely reduced with some common sense. People should have been given clear advice but allowed to get on with life as they saw fit.

In this year of utter lunacy we have destroyed thousands of businesses, removed basic rights such as freedom of movement and travel and impacted on children's education and the health and mental well being of most people in someway or other. And that is before I even start to look outside of our rich part of the world and look at the billions impacted in the third world who have a million other things to worry about other than a respiratory bug.

The cost has been totally disproportionate and totally unnecessary. The sole reason it has continued is that the mistakes that were made at the start of this thing were so big and the panic so great that reversing leaves so much egg on faces that it is politically unsurvivable. The vaccines coming along means they get to have a way out , I.e now we can stop restrictions but only because we saved you with the lockdowns and vaccination program.

They will toe the line on this now until the bitter end and I know nothing I do or anyone does will change that but in time history will correctly judge this as the biggest over reaction in modern history.

Yeah, you'd wonder when this is all over will human rights be a thing of the past..

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Michael O'Leary needs to stfu about matters of public health, unless he has somehow miraculously gotten himself a qualification in it in the past few months. All he cares about is filling his planes and making money. If people want to start listening to the opinions of loudmouths about how the situation should be managed, I can start doing daily briefings if you like, seeing as I have similar qualifications to Mr. O'Leary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I wonder how long people would have been happy to live like this had vaccines not been discovered. Remember there were concerns we may never get one. The extent of people's morality was given an easy get out thanks to the spectacular speed of development.

A more grown up, if emotionally detached society would be able to discuss numbers of deaths we could tolerate.

So killing people would be legalised, who will be first against the wall?⁷

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    Yes spot on. Of course Covid was going to have some impact on the economy but it could have been hugely reduced with some common sense. People should have been given clear advice but allowed to get on with life as they saw fit.

In this year of utter lunacy we have destroyed thousands of businesses, removed basic rights such as freedom of movement and travel and impacted on children's education and the health and mental well being of most people in someway or other. And that is before I even start to look outside of our rich part of the world and look at the billions impacted in the third world who have a million other things to worry about other than a respiratory bug.

The cost has been totally disproportionate and totally unnecessary. The sole reason it has continued is that the mistakes that were made at the start of this thing were so big and the panic so great that reversing leaves so much egg on faces that it is politically unsurvivable. The vaccines coming along means they get to have a way out , I.e now we can stop restrictions but only because we saved you with the lockdowns and vaccination program.

They will toe the line on this now until the bitter end and I know nothing I do or anyone does will.chsnge that but in time history will correctly judge this as the biggest over reaction in modern history.

So well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Russman

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »

They will toe the line on this now until the bitter end and I know nothing I do or anyone does will.chsnge that but in time history will correctly judge this as the biggest over reaction in modern history.

Like we saw in December ? That worked out well.

As for the rest, are you seriously suggesting that the entire western world over reacted, now know they were wrong, and are afraid to admit it because they'll have egg on their faces ?

mickdw wrote: »
    O leary has a few good points about business and economy but he would fill every plane every day into every airport if left to his own devices so his opinion is null and void.

He's a bigmouth Ahole who exploits his workforce, anyone who considers him as some sort of honest broker is deluded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

The only reassuring thing about some of the halfwit nutjob sh1te spouted in this thread about taking back our country blah, blah, blah is that the vast majority of people in Ireland think it's just that...sh1te. It doesn't matter how many 'likes' the posts get on an online forum, very few people take it seriously.

I'm looking forward to sitting down later and watching Tony Holohan and his colleagues from NPHET updating and informing us on some of the issues around Covid-19.

Russman wrote: »

As for the rest, are you seriously suggesting that the entire western world over reacted, now know they were wrong, and are afraid to admit it because they'll have egg on their faces ?

Gemma groupies, convinced the world revolves around them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Fair play to O'Leary, if Ryanair ran the vaccination program we'd all be lining up with our priority passes ready to be jabbed...Even if it meant paying €9.99 to receive your jab there's not one person who'd complain...

If Ryanair did that, you would pay per step, for the needle, the packaging, the seat you sit on, the cotton ball, the sterilising of you arm. The jab would end up costing you about 160 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

There is a difference between giving advice from day 1, than opening up after months of lockdown and telling people that things are going to be lockdowned again in just a few days time, but still advising people to maintain distance etc. they have a very short window of opportunity to do stuff, so people are going to try to fit in as much as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

No.

What happened here was that people did not take personal responsibility for themselves or their immediate family. There was a lie that Christmas could be normal. No. Covid is slightly dangerous to those in vulnerable categories. They should have been told to stay out of the way and their children and whoever else should have eliminated their movements around them. Likewise, some personal responsibility on their part too. I'm not criticising them or anything; they were entitled to their freedom as well as anybody. I wouldn't want to live in fear in the last years of my life, if I am at or near the average life expectancy then I'd be happy with my innings. Hell no am I living like a hermit in the last years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

So killing people would be legalised, who will be first against the wall?⁷

Exact order is uncertain. There will be a few RTE 'stars' high on the list :P

So in January we have a surge of a respiratory virus....really unusual in fact so unusual it happens every year.

If restrictions hadn't been brought in at all the virus would have spread through our population in the late spring and summer months and we would have spread it out in a more manageable fashion and those who.wanted to isolate well fine go ahead if you can afford to.

And yes the entire western world driven on by a hysterical WHO panicked themselves into a corner. The fact that it happened across the western world made it even more impossible for countries to change tack. Collective insanity so to speak and ultimately collective group think in a politically protective way. Just look at how Sweden was pilloried for being different and guess what they too have seen deaths in the very old and very sick just like everywhere else.

No.

What happened here was that people did not take personal responsibility for themselves or their immediate family. There was a lie that Christmas could be normal. No. Covid is slightly dangerous to those in vulnerable categories. They should have been told to stay out of the way and their children and whoever else should have eliminated their movements around them. Likewise, some personal responsibility on their part too. I'm not criticising them or anything; they were entitled to their freedom as well as anybody. I wouldn't want to live in fear in the last years of my life, if I am at or near the average life expectancy then I'd be happy with my innings. Hell no am I living like a hermit in the last years.

So if you infect a vulnerable person through bloodimindedness and they die, would you consider ending your own life as recompense?

If Ryanair did that, you would pay per step, for the needle, the packaging, the seat you sit on, the cotton ball, the sterilising of you arm. The jab would end up costing you about 160 euro.

O'LEARY would have done an Israel on it and we would be nearly sorted by now and I would happily pay 999 euros for a jab as it is clear now it is the only way the powers that be will change direction. It would be cheap at that price in comparison to the financial mess around us !!

O'LEARY would have done an Israel on it and we would be nearly sorted by now and I would happily pay 999 euros for a jab as it is clear now it is the only way the powers that be will change direction. It would be cheap at that price in comparison to the financial mess around us !!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,944 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

A complete Tool who also used his absurd outburst to call his customers liers. Michael seems to think Ryanair the only one impacted by the pandemic and Ryanair being picked on, just absolute nonsense. As for his disgusting comments re NPHET, perhaps he misses the news on last months deaths and case Number's. He's obviously offended by the subtle ticking off he got re the offensive Jab and Go advert, well I'm sure the now thousands affected by the pandemic are equally offended.

Finally the lie about refunds, pay your customers what they are owed, every scheme in the book being used to avoid repayment of refunds, Michael's never claimed to be a Saint but he's now becoming quite erratic, perhaps time to retire.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Cole wrote: »
    The only reassuring thing about some of the halfwit nutjob sh1te spouted in this thread about taking back our country blah, blah, blah is that the vast majority of people in Ireland think it's just that...sh1te. It doesn't matter how many 'likes' the posts get on an online forum, very few people take it seriously.

I'm looking forward to sitting down later and watching Tony Holohan and his colleagues from NPHET updating and informing us on some of the issues around Covid-19.

The economy is destroyed businesses are collapsed and never opening again hundreds of thousands are going to be permanently out of work are going to lose everything they have including their homes and end up in tents in the cold and rain.

People cannot meet their loved ones friends family relations girlfriends boyfriends and face fines and prosecutions if they do so.

They are being forced into a pathetic lonely mindnumbingly soulless existence that will drive many to mental breakdown.

NPHET are the most colorless boring pathetic sadistic narcisstic and quite frankly malevolent group of monsters this country has been foisted with since the bad days of Catholic Ireland.

Thankfully O'Leary is standing up and being counted. Hopefully others will rally across all walks of life and demand this insanity ends and ends NOW!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement