Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭hurdles1

Good night for Irish athletes. What a performance by michelle Finn, Feidhlim kelly is doing some job with his group of Athletes with michelle and Fay especially.
    Tommy Barr what a man season after season pulling out world class performances and his 48.3 run tonight rounding in to peak condition for the olympics. Tom and coach Hayley Harrisson go about their business quietly and produce the results on the big occasons.
    Louise shanahan getting consistant now around 2.01 mark and could end up the best of these 800m girls the coming years abd make the break through to sub 2.
    Unfortunately Nadia seens to be paying for a busy schedule indoors and performances have tapered lately. Interesting few weeks ahead for these athletes as we head towards olympics.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Ethiopian trials tomorrow night, will be streamed on YouTube and startlists/schedule is here.

I see Gidey is running the 10k instead of the 5k she'd originally signed up for, I wonder if there'll be some form of statement on intent after what Hassan did yesterday? Not saying she'll go for the WR but surely it's time to target a sub-30?

Also, Genzebe Dibaba is nowhere to be seen anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

That was a great win for Barr. He was smiling with a couple of hurdles to go.

Brilliant for Finn and the rest, a great night.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

NCAA this week, big moment for Rhasidat

Jack O leary 10k
    Barry Keane 10k
    Eric Favors shot

Rhasidat Adeleke 200m
    Grace mckenzie hept

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Dindane wrote: »
    But don't they have the rights to that series? And the one on tonight Barr was in?

Seems they have shows next Saturday and Sunday afternoon. Maybe Hengelo and Paavo highlights? In which case not quite the live coverage that had been trumpeted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

jamule wrote: »

Jack O leary 10k
    Barry Keane 10k
    Eric Favors shot

Rhasidat Adeleke 200m
    Grace mckenzie hept

Also Cathal Doyle 1500m and Aoibhe Richardson 5000m.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

A Scots man, Josh Kerr ran the fastest 1500 ever on US soil at the weekend. 3:31.55 I think. The record was previously held by Sebastian Coe going all the way back to the the 80s. It's fitting how Craig Engels gets cut off in his interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

wgtomblin wrote: »
    Seems they have shows next Saturday and Sunday afternoon. Maybe Hengelo and Paavo highlights? In which case not quite the live coverage that had been trumpeted.

Oh, what a howler.

So they miss a live world record, and two Irish Olympic qualifiers. Think of the publicity they'd have got for it.

World Athletics have Hassan's Hengelo WR all over YouTube and Twitter, and I've seen Barr's race in full on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

OOnegative wrote: »

So after a little bit of research I believe you are saying that I maybe slightly naïve

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Ceepo

jamule wrote: »

Jack O leary 10k
    Barry Keane 10k
    Eric Favors shot

Rhasidat Adeleke 200m
    Grace mckenzie hept

Sad news on the Ncaa front today, with the passing of the greatest collegiate coach of all time John McDonnell. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭4Ad

https://youtu.be/8Yl9X-4AX8M

Live athletics on from Turku

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

To be fair, the action was the Ethiopian trials. Some great racing. Women's 10,000 to come now.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Tsegay wins the women's 5k in 14:13 :eek: Top three of Tsegay, Taye and Teferi all under 14:16. I've never even heard of Taye tbh.

Letesenbet Gidey up now in the 10k. I think she'll be after a time here, think Sifan Hassan will be watching this race with interest...

29:21 pace at this early stage.

Gidey running lovely and smooth at the moment..WR on ??

Commentator saying the blue lights that Gidey's keeping pace with are WR pace, but then says she's on 29:22 pace?

Go Gidey..

Brilliant..29.01 Wow !!

Hassan's world record lasted two days! 29:01.04 for Gidey!! She needed to that before Tokyo tbh, nothing less than that would give Hassan something to mull over. Hassan still the favourite in Tokyo though.

Whilst it was good to have the live broadcast, the lack of a time, lap splits and some confusing commentary spoiled the race for me a little.

Hassan's world record lasted two days! 29:01.04 for Gidey!! She needed to that before Tokyo tbh, nothing less than that would give Hassan something to mull over. Hassan still the favourite in Tokyo though.

Whilst it was good to have the live broadcast, the lack of a time, lap splits and some confusing commentary spoiled the race for me a little.

Commentator wasn't great, fascinated with nostrils !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Hassan still the favourite? Why? Gidey is 5k and 10k World record holder!

Itziger wrote: »
    Hassan still the favourite? Why? Gidey is 5k and 10k World record holder!

I think if Hassan was in today's race she'd have beaten Gidey and ran a sub 29. Think Hassan has the world record in her legs for 5k also, just can't see Gidey ever running away from Hassan in a race like this.

4Ad wrote: »
    Brilliant..29.01 Wow !!

Wasn't this at altitude as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gavinoontheweb

Trite point to make but sick of the glorified time trials. All of these WRs and PBs will still take a few seasons to plateau, bring on the Olympics where we will hopefully see some real racing. Rather watch a nervy 5000m heat than some of the circuit races atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Ceepo wrote: »
    Wasn't this at altitude as well?

No. Same location (Hengelo).

Pherekydes wrote: »
    No. Same location (Hengelo).

Ah right. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭deisedude

Why was the Ethiopian trials in the Netherlands?

I'm guessing COVID related?

deisedude wrote: »
    Why was the Ethiopian trials in the Netherlands?

I'm guessing COVID related?

They're in Hengelo every year, why I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Mageean down for the diamond league meeting in Italy tomorrow. Hopefully she can put a performance in. I think she needs to…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

They're in Hengelo every year, why I'm not sure.

I suspect it's related to agents. Jos Hermens etc

Advertisement