Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,319 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Haha seems like having your kids around had you agitated

Now you are making sweeping generalisations about my life assuming I don't work and my friends don't work

I just don't see my kid being out of creche as a huge issue in the grand scheme of things

Spending extra time with her if the best gift I can get

You should trying enjoy spending time with yours :)

What exactly do you think is the value of your contributions this morning?

Are you here to just wind people up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

Now you are making sweeping generalisations about my life assuming I don't work and my friends don't work

I just don't see my kid being out of creche as a huge issue in the grand scheme of things

big pressure on you getting your kid through the creche curriculum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

You'll have to provide the link to where the world's scientists came to a consensus on this, I must have missed it. Even anything beyond pointing at a graph saying there's more of it and claiming that as evidence that it's more transmissible would be a great start.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong either. I'm just saying there isn't sufficient evidence for the claim being made.

Mate, you're just way behind on your reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Galwayhurl

Just half of ICU patients have Covid currently. The rest are non-covid patients.

So that's about 75 ICU patients with Covid right now.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0223/1198711-covid-ireland/

Edit: RTE article since updated. Above is incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Ha ha. I don't have kids of that age. And you are the one making generalisations. About people you are friends with on social media.

What a horrible thing to say to somebody you don't even know. That they don't like spending time with their kids.

Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭TobyHolmes

lawred2 wrote: »
    I work two jobs actually

I haven't drank a glass of wine since Christmas Day.

So you can reserve your bitter generalisations for facebook.

You need to go out and get some fresh air. This level of bitterness unchecked will do you no good whatsoever. You sound unhinged about young children receiving an education. A peculiar hill to die on.

i dont think the poster sounds bitter nor or they personally attacking you. they are simply saying social media is rife with parents who are glad to send their kids back to school (and rightly so) But I suppose society isnt just about parents and kids though is it.... there are people who dont have kids and sometimes when it becomes all about the schools, the schools, the schools, other peoples voices get lost. that is the spirit of what the poster is trying to say I imagine. no need for you to declare they are bitter and corrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

Yeah I haven't nothing against your situation and agree schools are essential in your case

I hope your employer is understandable in your current situation.

Schools are essential in all cases. Children need an education & all that comes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I’m finding it very hard to rationalise and accept the fact that we are right in track to spend the entire first half of the year in full level 5, which will be the even longer than what we spent in it last year.
    We won't be in full level five until the end of June.

Maybe the start of April. Even then we may see moves to Level 4 or 4+ by mid-March.

We have been here before. Last year the five phase reopening plan was announced, and then quickly was reworked into four phases and brought forward as the situation improved.

We're on track for the same outcome this time in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,319 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    i dont think the poster sounds bitter nor or they personally attacking you. they are simply saying social media is rife with parents who are glad to send their kids back to school (and rightly so) But I suppose society isnt just about parents and kids though is it.... there are people who dont have kids and sometimes when it becomes all about the schools, the schools, the schools, other peoples voices get lost. that is the spirit of what the poster is trying to say I imagine. no need for you to declare they are bitter and corrupt.

No mate. That's a very poor take.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Galwayhurl wrote: »
    Just half of ICU patients have Covid currently. The rest are non-covid patients.

So that's about 75 ICU patients with Covid right now.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0223/1198711-covid-ireland/
    You're misinterpreting that. There are about 300 people in ICU right now, 150 of them with Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,568 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Yeah I haven't nothing against your situation and agree schools are essential in your case

I hope your employer is understandable in your current situation.

Not just that poster. All children need school. You need to come into the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

seamus wrote: »
    You're misinterpreting that. There are about 300 people in ICU right now, 150 of them with Covid.

Agree -

“There are currently 690 patients with confirmed Covid-19 in hospitals, up from 676 last night. Of these, 150 are being treated in ICU, down from 156.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

People are dying en masse . Lives being financially destroyed by the day . I think my daughter going back to creche and others going back to school being delayed another 4-6 weeks isnt the Armageddon others are saying it is

But hey what do i know im bitter and horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It is necessarily the case.
    How do you think one strain comes to dominate another?

You're the one making the claim that it's more contagious, you can back it up with evidence if you have any.

I don't know why it's become dominant. I'm not denying it's a possibility that it's more contagious. I'm taking issue with the way it's being presented as indisputable fact. Having stupid population genetics and evolutionary biology, I know these things are often much more complicated than they appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Maybe the start of April. Even then we may see moves to Level 4 or 4+ by mid-March.

We have been here before. Last year the five phase reopening plan was announced, and then quickly was reworked into four phases and brought forward as the situation improved.

I really hope that's the case!

Mate, you're just way behind on your reading.

If the evidence is there, go ahead and provide it. From what I've seen, you and others just keep pointing to the same graph that isn't the proof that you think it is.

lawred2 wrote: »
    No mate. That's a very poor take.

right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Exactly, there are far too many pessimists here. Or rather those that oppose the restrictions in their entirety, and have done so for months and are looking for any angle/chink/edge to undermine them.

Restrictions will start to unwind as cases in hospital fall -even if we don't know the dates, this is the direction of travel. We are looking at vaccinating 250k next month, huge progress in eliminating the most at risk from hospitalisation.

People are dying en masse . Lives being financially destroyed by the day . I think my daughter going back to creche and others going back to school being delayed another 4-6 weeks isnt the Armageddon others are saying it is

But hey what do i know im bitter and horrible

i'd say you wont win on this one as you have triggered all the parental units who think you are personally attacking them because you mentioned a few memes on facebook.

yes parents its hard on you.
    its hard on other people too by the way.

why are we arguing over it.

THE END

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

If we need to be furious with anyone, we need look no further than ourselves. A wonderful Christmas present we've given ourselves.

So, you tell us, how do we get out of this mess? Because the only solution I'm seeing from a lot of posters here is ignore it. Wish away our problems, don't get tested, great strategy.

I spent christmas up a mountain. Saw no one, met no one. I'm not to blame. I have neither caught nor spread the virus at any point.

It is the job of government to ensure that hospitals and care-homes are as safe as possible and that transmissions therein are as low as possible; that schools and universities are made as safe as possible; that inward migration is carefully monitored and those that need to quarantine do so; that contact-tracing and close-contact testing is fast, efficient and thorough...

Have they done any/all of that? Because I - simply a citizen - am not able to do any of that. I don't have the power that they do to do these things.

Apparently now it's their poor/lazy legislation on rentals/evictions is the reason I can't leave a 5km range until at least April.

If they could fulfil their duties competently then it would, in turn, allow us - the population - to live our lives a little bit more freely through all of this. We could still do our part and be responsible of course - but it would mean we would have much more freedom throughout to take care of ourselves a little better and all be a little healthier for it - but we are denied this due to glacial-paced government action.

So no, we need not be furious with ourselves for all of this, sorry. I disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

You're the one making the claim that it's more contagious, you can back it up with evidence if you have any.

I don't know why it's become dominant. I'm not denying it's a possibility that it's more contagious. I'm taking issue with the way it's being presented as indisputable fact. Having stupid population genetics and evolutionary biology, I know these things are often much more complicated than they appear.

I'm not sure I want to bother my hole trying to educate you.

you're miles behind. Google it.

I spent christmas up a mountain. Saw no one, met no one. I'm not to blame. I have neither caught nor spread the virus at any point.

It is the job of government to ensure that hospitals and care-homes are as safe as possible and that transmissions therein are as low as possible; that schools and universities are made as safe as possible; that inward migration is carefully monitored and those that need to quarantine do so; that contact-tracing and close-contact testing is fast, efficient and thorough...

Have they done any/all of that? Because I - simply a citizen - am not able to do any of that. I don't have the power that they do to do these things.

Apparently now it's their poor/lazy legislation on rentals/evictions is the reason I can't leave a 5km range until at least April.

If they could fulfil their duties competently then it would, in turn, allow us - the population - to live our lives a little bit more freely through all of this. We could still do our part and be responsible of course - but it would mean we would have much more freedom throughout to take care of ourselves a little better and all be a little healthier for it - but we are denied this due to glacial-paced government action.

So no, we need not be furious with ourselves for all of this, sorry. I disagree.

we certainly have no reason to be furious with ourselves when we are abiding by what the gov't tell us. and we have a right to be frustrated when what they tell us is so imbalanced.

and christmas up a mountain sounds DIVINE!!

I'm not sure I want to bother my hole trying to educate you.

you're miles behind. Google it.

No evidence so. Grand job.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Exactly, there are far too many pessimists here. Or rather those that oppose the restrictions in their entirety, and have done so for months and are looking for any angle/chink/edge to undermine them.

Restrictions will start to unwind as cases in hospital fall -even if we don't know the dates, this is the direction of travel. We are looking at vaccinating 250k next month, huge progress in eliminating the most at risk from hospitalisation.

Can you blame people when that's the message that the government is putting out? We got the "level 5 for another 9 week" message, the "lockdown until after summer" message, the "no international holidays until after 2022" message, the "we will have to continue with restrictions even in 2022" message, the "if you're very good we might allow few outdoor sports in may" message. We barely got any positive message.

I really hope this new "living with covid plan" will change the tides, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Positive progress. Keep the chin up guys!

That's not how it works. Variants become dominant due a fitness advantage over others. That advantage can be from any number of reasons that may or may not include increased transmissibility.

The dominant variant of COVID has changed at least half a dozen times over the course of the pandemic:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EsVxZ5OXYAIiHao?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Being more transmissible does not necessarily mean the variant would become dominant. It may confer an advantage to being dominant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I think I remember you saying at some point that you work in a supermarket, yes? So forgive me if I take your opinions on Boris with no more than a smirk.
    sometimes the bubble of pomposity needs to be pricked.
    Indeed...

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

we certainly have no reason to be furious with ourselves when we are abiding by what the gov't tell us. and we have a right to be frustrated when what they tell us is so imbalanced.

and christmas up a mountain sounds DIVINE!!

The storm was brutal... but that's why I camp on the side of a mountain in winter: I like the brutal!

• Advertisement

A wonderful Christmas present we've given ourselves.

Ah, it was the people who decided to implement mass house arrest for Irish people whilst letting thousands of Brazilian "students" swan into the country?

I must have been out the day I was asked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement