Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

So the entire country is imprisoned at 5k because people can be evicted from their homes if they change it? Why not just draft new emergency legislation, FFS.

Thats the line they are feeding us, but lets face it, they are not going to do anything about it because it suits them to keep us restricted to 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

So the entire country is imprisoned at 5k because people can be evicted from their homes if they change it? Why not just draft new emergency legislation, FFS.

Many are ignoring it thankfully, and many more will start ignoring it if this is to go on for another couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Cork2021 wrote: »
    And Staines isn’t a quack? Good one

I'm not all that aware of him. why is he a quack?

Dr Liz O'Brien definitely is though. She's appalling. Pumping out misinformation. I hope you haven't been taken in by her crap

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

seamus wrote: »
    Quite a lot of them would be tbh. The logic is that if it's serious enough to contact the GP, then there's a possibility it's an illness caused by a pathogen. And there's so little in circulation at the moment except Covid, that a Covid test is worth doing.
    So stop testing people to bring the numbers down? Genius :rolleyes:

It’s called personal responsibility, if you’re unwell stay away from others rather than participating in this now ridiculous numbers game.

That was fine when we thought we could eradicate this thing- we can’t it seems and it will be endemic.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Has the median age of cases dropped recently? It was 34 yesterday which seemed very low to me. Could be very early signs the vaccines here are having an effect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cork2021

I'm not all that aware of him. why is he a quack?

Dr Liz O'Brien definitely is though. She's appalling. Pumping out misinformation. I hope you haven't been taken in by her crap

Have you been under a rock the last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

I'm not sure you have thought about this at all. You could as easily argue that everybody should get a test to bring up the number of tests and reduce the positivity rate, which is one of the key markers in how widespread the virus is in the community. But either way it is just nonsense, if a doctor sends you for a test it is for your good and possible your loved ones good.

I take your point and appreciate the lack of ‘oh genius’ comments and smart arsery preferred by others when discussing issues around here.
    I possibly didn’t think it through but it does seem wrong to be testing kids with a sore leg etc

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Have you been under a rock the last year?

you're very slow to give a straight answer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,319 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

it's pathetic and simply not a credible piece of public health legislation

what's stopping them never removing a 5k restriction if it means that they never have to deal with the manufactured bad press that evictions inevitably carries?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Klonker wrote: »
    Has the median age of cases dropped recently? It was 34 yesterday which seemed very low to me. Could be very early signs the vaccines here are having an effect

Someone here mentioned yesterday that they are doing lots of testing in universities (UL was mentioned) so that is probably skewing things.

I think it will be 3/4 weeks before we see more significant trends as a result of vaccinations - as healthcare and over 75s have their first/second shots. Hopefully we will see deaths reduce soon through the nursing home vaccination programme and we should see hospitalisations reduce more generally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Klonker wrote: »
    Someone here mentioned yesterday that they are doing lots of testing in universities (UL was mentioned) so that is probably skewing things.

I think it will be 3/4 weeks before we see more significant trends as a result of vaccinations - as healthcare and over 75s have their first/second shots. Hopefully we will see deaths reduce soon through the nursing home vaccination programme and we should see hospitalisations reduce more generally.

Biggest increase in cases last week was the 15-24 age group

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1363924263389003782

Phillip Nolan tweeted this morning that they are seeing more asymptomatic positive cases from close contact testing

https://twitter.com/President_MU/status/1364165544035893250

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

resume testing of close contacts and number of asymptotic cases goes up, that stands to reason. At least reference is made to symptomatic cases falling. A lot of talk of a plateau in falling numbers but we are not comparing like with like. the decline in numbers is continuing at pace the plateau they speak off was the reintroduction of close contacts being tested. Am I missing something here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The recent outbreaks in nuig and gmit, I presume?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

seamie78 wrote: »
    resume testing of close contacts and number of asymptotic cases goes up, that stands to reason. At least reference is made to symptomatic cases falling. A lot of talk of a plateau in falling numbers but we are not comparing like with like. the decline in numbers is continuing at pace the plateau they speak off was the reintroduction of close contacts being tested. Am I missing something here

No I think the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I've no idea what that has to do with the fact that you can't let go the snide comments about a poster who contributes balanced and generally well thought out pieces.

Not what you want to hear, so you get the digs in. Sad.

You have no idea? So let me explain: His snide comment got mine. I don't care for his history or his standing on here - but anyone who types the below deserves to be pulled up on it. All you're doing now is circling the wagons around your friend - like those boxers around Dan Kinahan! :rolleyes:

"...some people on here - who no doubt have a self image of hard bitten cynical realism - are fawning over Boris and Co like naive fangirls." - Arghus

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116371333#post116371333

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

lawred2 wrote: »
    it's pathetic and simply not a credible piece of public health legislation

what's stopping them never removing a 5k restriction if it means that they never have to deal with the manufactured bad press that evictions inevitably carries?

I'm no lawyer, but presumably that had to do it that way to get around constitutional property rights. The SC would not strike down a common good law for public health because it minorly infringes a small number of people's property rights.

It would be perverse to retain the limit for this reason even if public health reasons meant it could be loosened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Polar101

the decline in numbers is continuing at pace the plateau they speak off was the reintroduction of close contacts being tested. Am I missing something here

Makes sense. I think we forgot that during the peak of the wave, a lot of the cases weren't detected. Now there's contact tracing and testing of close contacts again.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Its really about homeless crisis and a badly run HSE save them, but just throw the economy and mental welbeing under a bus

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Stheno wrote: »
    Biggest increase in cases last week was the 15-24 age group

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1363924263389003782

Phillip Nolan tweeted this morning that they are seeing more asymptomatic positive cases from close contact testing

https://twitter.com/President_MU/status/1364165544035893250

Heavy tea drinkers? Is that a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The global decline in cases which has been busily going on in the background looks to have plateaued this week. The 7 day number has actually gone up very slightly over the last two days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Heavy tea drinkers? Is that a joke?
    He clarifies it lower down the thread. The HSE have been at pains to say that the 15-24 group outbreaks are caused by meeting up for cups of tea and NOT by house parties.

Obviously trying to not get into a blame game or pointing fingers at drunken young people. Because that's not helpful anyway.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

seamus wrote: »
    He clarifies it lower down the thread. The HSE have been at pains to say that the 15-24 group outbreaks are caused by meeting up for cups of tea and NOT by house parties.

Obviously trying to not get into a blame game or pointing fingers at drunken young people. Because that's not helpful anyway.

Plus people calling over for cups of tea has very little external visibility and is impossible to police. There’s some chance of catching house parties with all the racket involved and the Gardai seem to be fining those involved to an extant. It’s the calling over in small numbers for less rowdy activities that’s flying under the radar and therefore an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

I have not been posting in awhile re covid as I decided to take time off to priotize my own physical and mental health after helping sort out the relations choices re injections and doing my knee in on a volunteer shopping run.

This got extended as I decided to check in on everyone personaly on my local/friends and our families communication tree to see how they are doing... this was because..

*Sometime during the last month a youngish person tried to hang themself...their first attempt failed due to the object they were standing on slipped and seconds and I mean seconds before they tried again..the local search party of friends and family found them.

They had been unwell the last 6 months or so and due to everything going on.. had not been offered anything but anti depressants.. the reasons are directly related to the lockdown/restrictions..*I will not elaborate anymore on this to protect their idendity.

I am ...like many others are appalled and too angry for words.. they are not alone in feeling depressed or having other mental health issues at the moment...as I found out in checking up in detail on other locals/neighbours/family.

All I ask of you here is to... make a determined effort to reach out and check in with all family/friends/neighbours this week and ask them how their mental health is and listen ..let them get it out of their system including any anger and then ask how you could help or point them to help/gp/helplines if necessary etc.. And likewise if you are the person asked be honest with the person asking.

Reminder... there is a mental health and covid thread here on boards

The government/nphet etc cannot ignore this anymore..but that is for other posts later...this post is a personal ask from myself of you all here on boards.

thanks speckle

Yeah, I'm afraid you are. The primary cause of the plateauing is not contact tracing, but the B117 variant being considerably more resilient than good old covid.

This chart uses the latest data from Philip Nolan's slide. The data only goes up to the 4th of February, where the strain was accounting for 89% of all cases.

544682.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Listening to Claire Byrne this morning

She had fella from the Vintners in Cork (god i miss the Castle Inn), the owner of Idaho cafe, a barber from Athlone, Danny McCoy IBEc and Tom Parlon from the Construction Indistry Federation

All saying supports in place are not fir for purpose and need to be increase

The government shutting everything bar schools down will cost the taxpayer a significant amount extra

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Yeah, I'm afraid you are. The primary cause of the plateauing is not contact tracing, but the B117 variant being considerably more resilient than good old covid.

This chart uses the latest data from Philip Nolan's slide. The data only goes up to the 4th of February, where the strain was accounting for 89% of all cases.

544682.png

The dominant variant of a virus always tends to change. I really don't see how B117 being dominant is evidence of anything more than B117 being dominant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

So we are what behind the UK when it comes to vaccinations

Yet our schools will go back a week before them

Makes you think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

You have no idea? So let me explain: His snide comment got mine. I don't care for his history or his standing on here - but anyone who types the below deserves to be pulled up on it. All you're doing now is circling the wagons around your friend - like those boxers around Dan Kinahan! :rolleyes:

"...some people on here - who no doubt have a self image of hard bitten cynical realism - are fawning over Boris and Co like naive fangirls." - Arghus

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...#post116371333

I believe he already apologised for that comment. While I do not generally agree with his perspectives I respect his views which are thoughtful and generally respectful of other positions.

But we have all been there where we have a difference of opinion with other posters here and tempers get frayed (usually there is an element of both is us in it) and the choice is either put it behind you or ignore.

The dominant variant of a virus always tends to change. I really don't see how B117 being dominant is evidence of anything more than B117 being dominant.

It's dominant because it's more successful at infecting people, and that accordingly makes it harder to stamp out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

So we are what behind the UK when it comes to vaccinations

Yet our schools will go back a week before them

Makes you think

Makes you think people cannot read....

All UK schools start back on the 8th... all of primary, all of secondary and all university.

Compared to half of primary, a fifth/sixth of seconday and no university here.

Full return here is likely going to be mid April and again will not include university (at which point we should have around the same rate of injection per 100k as the UK have now)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement