Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

So we are what behind the UK when it comes to vaccinations

Yet our schools will go back a week before them

Makes you think

We're at least phasing the return. The UK are bringing back millions of school and college students on the same day.
    It's a ****ing terrible idea.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Interesting how the UK announced a full reopening plan yesterday with no mention of the variant which is dominant there. It’s almost like it’s a politically weaponised red herring.

Interesting also how there’s uproar in Ireland about 4 more weeks of lockdown. Boris Johnson announced an extension of lockdown until April yesterday. How many people in the UK are talking about that?

Micheal Martin spent almost three years in opposition constantly bashing Leo Varadkar for spin and the Strategic Communications Unit. If he’s not careful, his lack of any ability to communicate may result in his Government falling apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

seamus wrote: »
    He clarifies it lower down the thread. The HSE have been at pains to say that the 15-24 group outbreaks are caused by meeting up for cups of tea and NOT by house parties.

Obviously trying to not get into a blame game or pointing fingers at drunken young people. Because that's not helpful anyway.

Jaysus.. and now we move on to liars, I mean tea drinkers.

Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,251 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

So we are what behind the UK when it comes to vaccinations

Yet our schools will go back a week before them

Makes you think

S01E06-7HY4kGRq-subtitled.jpg

SVUKRQYZyW3T.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

We're at least phasing the return. The UK are bringing back millions of school and college students on the same day.
    It's a ****ing terrible idea.

No mixed messages from them which is good . They are either safe or they aren't .

My sister teaches my nephew . She can see him in a classroom but it's not safe to be in his house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

marno21 wrote: »
    Interesting how the UK announced a full reopening plan yesterday with no mention of the variant which is dominant there. It’s almost like it’s a politically weaponised red herring.

Interesting also how there’s uproar in Ireland about 4 more weeks of lockdown. Boris Johnson announced an extension of lockdown until April yesterday. How many people in the UK are talking about that?

Micheal Martin spent almost three years in opposition constantly bashing Leo Varadkar for spin and the Strategic Communications Unit. If he’s not careful, his lack of any ability to communicate may result in his Government falling apart.

Some are, in fact some think his plan is too conservative, but Johnson at least announced an end game, a target for people - that's needed. Our indefinite lockdown gives nobody anything to look forward to.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

AdamD wrote: »
    Some are, in fact some think his plan is too conservative, but Johnson at least announced an end game, a target for people - that's needed. Our indefinite lockdown gives nobody anything to look forward to.

Ah yeah but that’s the usual Tory backbenchers who have been calling for US style “freedom” based lifting of restrictions throughout the pandemic. The “pro business” club.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It's dominant because it's more successful at infecting people, and that accordingly makes it harder to stamp out.

Is there evidence that it's more successful at infecting people?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

No mixed messages from them which is good . They are either safe or they aren't .

My sister teaches my nephew . She can see him in a classroom but it's not safe to be in his house

It's about keeping the numbers as low as possible so schools can return.

It's not that it's safer for your sister to see her nephew somewhere.

How do you not reailse this by now????

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

I believe he already apologised for that comment. While I do not generally agree with his perspectives I respect his views which are thoughtful and generally respectful of other positions.

But we have all been there where we have a difference of opinion with other posters here and tempers get frayed (usually there is an element of both is us in it) and the choice is either put it behind you or ignore.

Ye, I'm aware of that apology and I was happy for it. I was just explaining to this other poster why I said what I said. It seems I poked the clique. Wish I hadn't bothered now but sometimes the bubble of pomposity needs to be pricked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Jaysus.. and now we move on to liars, I mean tea drinkers.

Ridiculous.

On my walk last night I passed 4 teenagers in the park. They were huddled together on a bench, passing around a spliff!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I’m finding it very hard to rationalise and accept the fact that we are right in track to spend the entire first half of the year in full level 5, which will be the even longer than what we spent in it last year.

We have a years worth of knowledge and hindsight is which we didn’t have last year, and we are already vaccinating people. There is just no justification for this whatsoever, other than lazy and cowardly inept leadership.

Very frustrating that they can all retire on their full pensions while we will live with the financial, social and emotional consequences of this suicide mission for years to come.

I am beyond fed up but if the ‘plan’ (if you could even call it that) is as vague and hopeless as rumoured, I think the straw will finally break the camels back tonight.
    They have endless supplies of money, resources and a multitude of advisors at their disposal and if the best plan they can come up with us just to spend half the year in lockdown with no definitive plan to get us out of this mess, people will be furious.
    And rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Kha1993

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I’m finding it very hard to rationalise and accept the fact that we are right in track to spend the entire first half of the year in full level 5, which will be the even longer than what we spent in it last year.

We have a years worth of knowledge and hindsight is which we didn’t have last year, and we are already vaccinating people. There is just no justification for this whatsoever, other than lazy and cowardly inept leadership.

Very frustrating that they can all retire on their full pensions while we will live with the financial, social and emotional consequences of this suicide mission for years to come.

I am beyond fed up but if the ‘plan’ (if you could even call it that) is as vague and hopeless as rumoured, I think the straw will finally break the camels back tonight.
    They have endless supplies of money, resources and a multitude of advisors at their disposal and if the best plan they can come up with us just to spend half the year in lockdown with no definitive plan to get us out of this mess, people will be furious.
    And rightly so.

“The variant”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Is there evidence that it's more successful at infecting people?

The fact that it is over 90% of cases in Ireland now shows that. Its literally multiplying quicker than the original version we had and squeezing that one out.

It's about keeping the numbers as low as possible so schools can return.

It's not that it's safer for your sister to see her nephew somewhere.

How do you not reailse this by now????

Some country . Disgruntled parents who don't want to spend time with their kids are the biggest lobbyists in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 24,319 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Some country . Disgruntled parents who don't want to spend time with their kids are the biggest lobbyists in Ireland

How is this tripe going unchecked? Page after page of this bitter crap.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    The fact that it is over 90% of cases in Ireland now shows that. Its literally multiplying quicker than the original version we had and squeezing that one out.

No, the fact that it is over 90% of cases in Ireland shows that it's the dominant variant. That could be because it's more transmissable, but it isn't necessarily the case.

lawred2 wrote: »
    How is this tripe going unchecked? Page after page of this bitter crap.

Check social media . Pics of wine captioned when are schools going back

Yes let's shut down society for even longer so you can be rid of your kids for a few hours a day

• Registered Users Posts: 24,319 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yes let's shut down society for even longer so you can be rid of your kids for a few hours a day

I work two jobs actually

I haven't drank a glass of wine since Christmas Day.

So you can reserve your bitter generalisations for facebook.

You need to go out and get some fresh air. This level of bitterness unchecked will do you no good whatsoever. You sound unhinged about young children receiving an education. A peculiar hill to die on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

No, the fact that it is over 90% of cases in Ireland shows that it's the dominant variant. That could be because it's more transmissable, but it isn't necessarily the case.

So the worlds scientists including our own are wrong, and you are right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

None of my friends on Facebook have said that. Maybe says more about you and your friends.

People want their kids in school as they care about their education and their social development. What arseholes they are.

Some people even have to work so they are having problems with childcare. Selfish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Social media also says microchips in the vaccine will allow Bill Gates to control our thoughts and that liverpool can still win the league......

Stateofyou wrote: »
    So the worlds scientists including our own are wrong, and you are right?

You'll have to provide the link to where the world's scientists came to a consensus on this, I must have missed it. Even anything beyond pointing at a graph saying there's more of it and claiming that as evidence that it's more transmissible would be a great start.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong either. I'm just saying there isn't sufficient evidence for the claim being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

SusieBlue wrote: »

And rightly so.

If we need to be furious with anyone, we need look no further than ourselves. A wonderful Christmas present we've given ourselves.

So, you tell us, how do we get out of this mess? Because the only solution I'm seeing from a lot of posters here is ignore it. Wish away our problems, don't get tested, great strategy.

None of my friends on Facebook have said that. Maybe says more about you and your friends.

People want their kids in school as they care about their education and their social development. What arseholes they are.

Some people even have to work so they are having problems with childcare. Selfish people.

Ok whatever you convince yourself of and makes it easier for you

I think i'd catch up if I missed 3 months of senior infants .

Or missed 3 months of learning poetry in secondary school . Although quoting poetry is essential when they do leave school :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

Come off it. I am at home with 2 kids on my own while my husband works outside the house. I am under pressure to deliver a 40+ hour working week and educate/entertain 2 children who, at best, are reluctant. Their little world has been turned upside down with no extra-curricular activities, visits to family or proper formal education & all of the social benefits that come with it. I am constantly thinking about single parents, parents without a good education level, people with one or more children with special needs, frontline workers, perhaps working a night shift, with kids who need to get through a curriculum.

I understand why schools are shut. My eldest has aspergers & when there was talk of them going back in I was uncomfortable about his SNA & teachers having to return to school. I am still unsure as to what is the best course of action but will be very happy to walk them to the school gates as soon as I can. For their own development & for our sanity it is vital that it happens as soon as it is relatively safe to do so & I am relying on Nphet, HSE etc to make the call on that.

To dismiss people as not wanting to spend time with their children is glib and insulting.

Haha seems like having your kids around had you agitated

Now you are making sweeping generalisations about my life assuming I don't work and my friends don't work

I just don't see my kid being out of creche as a huge issue in the grand scheme of things

Spending extra time with her if the best gift I can get

You should trying enjoy spending time with yours :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Kha1993

If we need to be furious with anyone, we need look no further than ourselves. A wonderful Christmas present we've given ourselves.

So, you tell us, how do we get out of this mess? Because the only solution I'm seeing from a lot of posters here is ignore it. Wish away our problems, don't get tested, great strategy.

Not sure where anyone is saying to ignore it. The solution is to continue level 5 but with some low risk activities open outdoors, a relaxation of a law that can fine you for going over 5km past your house and then relax further in line with vaccinations.

Not sure where anyone mentioned “ignore it”. Hyperbole of the highest order. Along with the usual blame the public schtick.

And if we’re going down the road of the deadly variant being our Christmas present - then *WE* certainly didn’t give that to ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

It is necessarily the case.
    How do you think one strain comes to dominate another?

• Advertisement

optogirl wrote: »
    Come off it. I am at home with 2 kids on my own while my husband works outside the house. I am under pressure to deliver a 40+ hour working week and educate/entertain 2 children who, at best, are reluctant. Their little world has been turned upside down with no extra-curricular activities, visits to family or proper formal education & all of the social benefits that come with it. I am constantly thinking about single parents, parents without a good education level, people with one or more children with special needs, frontline workers, perhaps working a night shift, with kids who need to get through a curriculum.

I understand why schools are shut. My eldest has aspergers & when there was talk of them going back in I was uncomfortable about his SNA & teachers having to return to school. I am still unsure as to what is the best course of action but will be very happy to walk them to the school gates as soon as I can. For their own development & for our sanity it is vital that it happens as soon as it is relatively safe to do so & I am relying on Nphet, HSE etc to make the call on that.

To dismiss people as not wanting to spend time with their children is glib and insulting.

Yeah I haven't nothing against your situation and agree schools are essential in your case

I hope your employer is understandable in your current situation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement