Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Well, I think it's time to call it a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Arghus wrote: »
    What are you talking about?

We haven't had only level 1 restrictions since March. And if we had we wouldn't have had only 80k cases and 2k deaths.

Are you sure about that? The "limited" data does not back up that.

Vast majority of cases are within healthcare settings or private home settings. Yet, everything outside of these settings are pounced upon when aforementioned scenario restrictions are "somewhat" lifted.

How did the MRSA bug spread. Here's a clue - it wasn't in a shop, restaurant or a pub. Riddle me that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Danno wrote: »
    Explain zero-flu. But still Covid spreads? Mind-boggling, isn't it? :rolleyes:
    Not really, we have a flu vaccine with a high uptake this year, our flu generally comes from Australia (I can be corrected, but it originates from the southern hemisphere as it's seasonal), but nothing is getting out of there to here.

How you don't grasp that is the mind boggling thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

niallo27 wrote: »
    Keep searching, Poland and Croatia. We are one of the last as usual. Why are you ok with being one of the last, we have it. What are we waiting for.

https://twitter.com/ritakj/status/1342865391010394112?s=20

If the head of the Irish medical Council is wondering the same thing, there's clearly a problem.

Utter idiocy. The vaccine taskforce should be hauled in tomorrow to explain. Brian McCraith must have his head up his behind.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Not really, we have a flu vaccine with a high uptake this year, our flu generally comes from Australia (I can be corrected, but it originates from the southern hemisphere as it's seasonal), but nothing is getting out of there to here.

So our flu only ever really comes from Oz? Gotcha. :rolleyes:

Can't someone just seal off Oz for good then - it seems they've done a start on it anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,699 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

If the head of the Irish medical Council is wondering the same thing, there's clearly a problem.

Utter idiocy. The vaccine taskforce should be hauled in tomorrow to explain. Brian McCraith must have his head up his behind.

The big wigs are on there holibobs thats the reason :mad:

I've seen the confirmed reports of vaccinations starting Dec 30th, I haven't heard that it will be only 30 a day????
    Is the head of the medical council confusing the number of vaccine's administrated with the date they start? Dec 30th and assuming it's only 30 doses?

So our flu only ever really comes from Oz? Gotcha. :rolleyes:

Can't someone just seal off Oz for good then - it seems they've done a start on it anyways.

Enlighten me, where does our flu come from? What country or region does the flu start in?

Enlighten me, where does our flu come from? What country or region does the flu start in?

The truth is...

wait for it...

...nobody really knows!

Oh how the mighty have fallen, first it was the priests - then it was the teachers, now it's the docs, charlatans - the lot! :pac:

Not really, we have a flu vaccine with a high uptake this year...

Actually, we don't have a high uptake. They're literally begging for secondary school students to take the jab before it's best before date expires. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Actually, we don't have a high uptake. They're literally begging for secondary school students to take the jab before it's best before date expires. :rolleyes:

You're talking about a specific age group, I mean as a whole. There's been people on here trying to get the flu jab but couldn't due to high demand.
    I would also say uptake in hcw's would have been higher this year.

Needless to say worldwide the flu hasn't been circulating as much as covid, it's non-existent really. As to why, covid is far more transmissional then the flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

niallo27 wrote: »
    So your ok with people dieing because of the delay in getting the vaccine, as long as its not you. Fair ignorant attitude.

Talk about irony.

The very ones pontificating about saving lives are justifying people dying due to inefficiency

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'm probably missing something, but what training is required for giving the injections? Are they that much different from other vaccines because they're coming out of the freezer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

There’s been little to no flu in flu season in Australia or NZ this year because it’s usually introduced during April & May and travel all over the world was limited during that time, this was also the case in S. Africa, Argentina and Chile.

It’s still early days in Northern Hemisphere yet and with increased travel before Xmas I wouldn’t completely rule it out. One of the problems is the instrumentation they usually use to test for flu they now use for Covid and they don’t even have enough capacity to do that.

Most European countries are showing baseline levels but countries like Serbia, Slovakia and England are showing low instances so it’s still around just probably not tested as much although with potential lockdowns til March/April I doubt it be a problem in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

I'm really struggling to understand why we appear to be the only EU country that isn't starting to vaccinate today. It's extraordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Probes wrote: »
    I'm really struggling to understand why we appear to be the only EU country that isn't starting to vaccinate today. It's extraordinary.

This. Can't understand it at all.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Are we really only doing it 5 days a week too? They constantly tell us Covid doesn’t take holidays or some sh1te. It should be 7 days a week when the big deliveries start arriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Unions re vax timetable I reckon, and/or lack of personnel.

But HSE is efficient, great with words. Sad to see. It would have given hope if it started today, but Christmas for the win

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I was cringing watching them trying to make a huge photo op with bringing in 2 poxy boxes off a truck and putting it into a fridge...

Stephen Donnelly to the rescue!......why the hold up in delivering the vaccine?

What a clown...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭quartz1

Donnelly out for a photo call standing beside the fridge while the rollout is days behind other EU Countries ....not good enough ....... .. No valid or excusable reason why those vaccines should be sitting in a fridge this morning .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I was cringing watching them trying to make a huge photo op with bringing in 2 poxy boxes off a truck and putting it into a fridge...

Stephen Donnelly to the rescue!......why the hold up in delivering the vaccine?

What a clown...

Instead of understanding most of the population see Leo as a moran for all of the spin and photo ops, they all copy him, laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Eivor

Sorry, is it only ever going to be 30 people a day vaccinated? That’s ridiculous if that’s the case

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Eivor wrote: »
    Sorry, is it only ever going to be 30 people a day vaccinated? That’s ridiculous if that’s the case

No it's not 30 people getting vaccinated each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Unions re vax timetable I reckon, and/or lack of personnel.

But HSE is efficient, great with words. Sad to see. It would have given hope if it started today, but Christmas for the win

Hadn't heard anything about the Unions putting a stop to the rollout, where did you read that?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭keithb93

Because I would assume those asymptomatic children live with adults and would infect them, they in turn would more than likely show symptoms and get tested.
    Contact tracers ring and ask for close contacts, as the kids live with them they would also be tested, if the kid was the source, they would test positive, if the kid tested negative, it's impossible the kid infected the adult.
    It's those little details where they can collate and reach a conclusion.

If you take 10 households with a positive case in an adult and children live there, if in 6 households, only the adult test positive and the children negative and in 4 households the children also test positive, then you can say 60% of household clusters are spread from adults to children. The remaining 40% it;s unclear if it was spread form adult to child or vice versa.

It takes up to 2 weeks to show symptoms and become infectious so its likely the children are fully recovered and test negative at the same time as their parents testing positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Hadn't heard anything about the Unions putting a stop to the rollout, where did you read that?

There hasn’t but any opportunity to try create some sort of public v private nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭jackboy

It was said on the news last night that the delay was due to vaccinators having to be trained. Not sure if that is plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭tigger123

jackboy wrote: »
    It was said on the news last night that the delay was due to vaccinators having to be trained. Not sure if that is plausible.

Why isn't it plausible?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭jackboy

tigger123 wrote: »
    Why isn't it plausible?

Why would they wait till after the vaccine arrives to train?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Because every other country in Europe will have needed people trained also yet they started yesterday or today at the latest.

The HSE really need to get the finger out on this one because people won't accept a screw up but they are off to a very bad start.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement