Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I imagine community positivity is the community referrals from Tom Dick and Harry and not the normal testing done in hospitals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

petes wrote: »
    All the experts have said this?

I doubt it. Maybe the experts who want to be on the radio for more months. The reality is if the most vulnerable in society are immunised against this virus then restrictions will have to be lifted. Every additional day that the Govt has the economy on life support when this happens will have long term economic and societal impacts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Yes they do

I know a neighbour who's nephew came back to Kerry for Christmas

Test one negative, test two positive

Resulted in 4 more positives in the family

Are any of them sick and needing hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I am saying we are not comparing like with like at the moment...

3 weeks ago we were doing around 10,000 tests a day at positivity rate of around 3%.

Now we are doing over 20,000 tests a day at positivity rate of around 5-5.5%

Things have obviously deteriorated and we need tightening of restrictions but the situation has not worsened to the level the daily case numbers would suggest

Could you explain that further please?, I genuinely don't understand what you are saying there.

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Could you explain that further please?, I genuinely don't understand what you are saying there.

If we were doing 20,000 tests 3 weeks ago, the numbers would have been twice as high as they were then!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

You may well be right but where did that figure come from?

No where tbh, my own estimation. 30 or so admissions a day. So 210 in one week. It could well be be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Stheno wrote: »
    Are any of them sick and needing hospital?

No thankfully

That +5 in the case column though

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No thankfully

That +5 in the case column though

Sure but if they are not sick and are isolating thats good

I wonder how many other cases like this are out there

30k people came in from the UK and of course there is no tracing of them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭jackboy

I doubt it. Maybe the experts who want to be on the radio for more months. The reality is if the most vulnerable in society are immunised against this virus then restrictions will have to be lifted. Every additional day that the Govt has the economy on life support when this happens will have long term economic and societal impacts.

6 to 9 months minimum before any impact on restrictions. Nothing the government can do about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

jackboy wrote: »
    6 to 9 months minimum before any impact on restrictions. Nothing the government can do about that.

Can you answer my question? All the experts have said this?

• Advertisement

Wet pubs will be open in April/May.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭jackboy

petes wrote: »
    Can you answer my question? All the experts have said this?

Yes and I haven’t heard any expert who has said otherwise. People need to hear the truth as they are getting demoralised with endless false dawns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Stheno wrote: »
    Sure but if they are not sick and are isolating thats good

I wonder how many other cases like this are out there

30k people came in from the UK and of course there is no tracing of them

Quite a lot I fear

There's quite a lot of people have arrived into Limerick over the last few weeks from England and a sizeable portion of them have not been isolating

I know of one case in rural west cork where a lad came off the flight in Cork at 15.30 and was out in a house party by 21.00

He tested positive a few days later

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Yes and I haven’t heard any expert who has said otherwise. People need to hear the truth as they are getting demoralised with endless false dawns.

Strong statement to say all experts and it's also complete bull****. My guess is you are only referring to one or two who say things to fit in to your own narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I am saying we are not comparing like with like at the moment...

3 weeks ago we were doing around 10,000 tests a day at positivity rate of around 3%.

Now we are doing over 20,000 tests a day at positivity rate of around 5-5.5%

Things have obviously deteriorated and we need tightening of restrictions but the situation has not worsened to the level the daily case numbers would suggest

Things have deteriorated to the extent the case numbers would suggest. The increased testing simply reflects that more cases have more contacts. If you had tested this number 2 weeks ago you would not have got this number of cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

We only have a handful of doses. It's going to make **** all difference for a good long while.

Unfortunately, you and a few others are missing the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

wadacrack wrote: »
    Crazy numbers, If the r rate does not lower soon. Were in for a third wave worse than many predicted.

https://twitter.com/paulreiddublin/status/1343159824910077953
    I don't really trust anything coming from Paul Reid tbh. His reporting and interpretation of numbers has been at best remedial in the past.

I would take anything he says with a pinch of salt until we have data on Tuesday.

Things have deteriorated to the extent the case numbers would suggest. The increased testing simply reflects that more cases have more contacts. If you had tested this number 2 weeks ago you would not have got this number of cases.
    Of course not but let's take an example day of November 25 when 362 swabs were positive, if you tested twice the number of people at the same positive rate you would have 724 positive swabs...

that is the level of deterioration at the moment...

724 positives equivalent on 25 November to around 1266 on Christmas Eve, if you level things out for the increase in testing.

New UK variant of the Virus estimated to be an Ro of 4.3

https://twitter.com/tomaspueyo/status/1342987065605152769

wadacrack wrote: »
    New UK variant of the Virus estimated to be an Ro of 4.3

https://twitter.com/tomaspueyo/status/1342987065605152769

Firstly, that guy is a random poster on Twitter. Second, 4.3 is the high end of the estimate posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Firstly, that guy is a random poster on Twitter. Second, 4.3 is the high end of the estimate posted.

Same poster on twitter says: "normally, virus mutations that prevail are worse for humans across several dimensions: they tend to be not just more infectious, but also more deadly" - I didn't think that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Is there any update on whether the new UK variant is worse for children that the previous one ?

Hes not some randomer. This article predicted what would happen since March and has over 16 million views. Was shared everywhere at the time by highly respected scientists

https://tomaspueyo.medium.com/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

seamus wrote: »
    I don't really trust anything coming from Paul Reid tbh. His reporting and interpretation of numbers has been at best remedial in the past.

I would take anything he says with a pinch of salt until we have data on Tuesday.

It's pretty damning that this is one of the very few things almost everyone will agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I presume pubs will probably open end of February and be closed again for paddy's day etc. Will probably be all that crap again on the run up to it will the parade go ahead or not. Wonder when the decision for that will be made or just leave it super close to it again as I cannot imagine they will want to have thousands from across the globe coming into Ireland then. They should just state early in the new year the parade is not happening in 2021 and should be back on track in 2022. Leave it closer to the time to decide on pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Who the hell even thinks parades are on the cards?

sterz wrote: »
    Who the hell even thinks parades are on the cards?

Should be banned for eternity, but expect to see one again in 2022.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FinglasFollain

Deleted post: not worth it due to the people who’ve tried to start arguments based on a persons death. Thanks Hmmm and your loyal band of weirdo thankers like ElJeffe. Have a ****, release your anger.

RGARDINR wrote: »
    I presume pubs will probably open end of February and be closed again for paddy's day etc. Will probably be all that crap again on the run up to it will the parade go ahead or not. Wonder when the decision for that will be made or just leave it super close to it again as I cannot imagine they will want to have thousands from across the globe coming into Ireland then. They should just state early in the new year the parade is not happening in 2021 and should be back on track in 2022. Leave it closer to the time to decide on pubs.

Pubs aftrr Paddy's day at the earliest id say

There will be no parades imo

Whens the last time we'd a bank holiday with no restrictions in place?

I don't think we've had a single one this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Same poster on twitter says: "normally, virus mutations that prevail are worse for humans across several dimensions: they tend to be not just more infectious, but also more deadly" - I didn't think that was the case.

it isn't. it's the exact opposite. evolution favours more infectivity, less deadly/symptomatic. all the virus wants to do is spread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement