Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Air travel suspended for 48 hours from midnight *Mod Warning in OP Please Read*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

GarIT wrote: »
    There's no 0 risk. Comments like yours make my blood boil. You have no clue about the spread of infectious diseases.

Read again. I didnt say 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭malinheader

That is correct. Try and succeed aren't the same.

Well let's hope so in this case.

Unless stormont steps up to the plate and makes the right decision to help stop the spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

inforfun wrote: »
    Selfish?
    I live here in Ireland on my own. WFH from march till i lost my job. Once a week i go out to do my shopping.
    My girlfriend lives in the UK on her own.
    I was going to take the ferry to spend 10 days there with her. There is about zero risk for me to get that ****ing virus that way. I would have spent the 2 hours on deck if it had been too busy inside for my liking.
    But i can forget about that now as well.
    I have seen her 2x this year. 1x early march and in september.

Your comments about feeling different and special make my blood boil.
    You have no ****ing clue about the situations people find themselves in.
    Everyone thinks that their minor indiscretion is "about zero risk" - that is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Considering we've banned flights from UK landing here, and state will now have to repatriate Irish citizens stuck over there, will the government finally institute mandatory quarantine in hotel? Surely it's the only sensible thing to do?

It should have been done months ago. In Australia you stayed in quarantine in a centre and paid for it yourself.

We took the approach of closing everything down all the time.

We had months to get a tracking system in place or something to monitor quarantine. We just closed the shops and made loads of people unemployed.

Savour every sip of wine and every nibble of continental cheese. If France has stopped entry of freight from UK we’re gonna be rationing ALOT of foodstuffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Read again. I didnt say 0.

You said about zero risk of getting it that way but that's not the case. How are you going to get into a boat without touching the door or handrail as someone else and without using the bathroom. How will you get through customs without interacting with anyone. If you're driving will you not need to refuel sometime between leaving the house and arriving home? If not will you not interact with the taxi driver or be in the same public transport vehicle as someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,655 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Results of a survey last month.
    Irish people based in the UK are the most likely to return for Christmas, with 41% indicating they plan to come home

The UK reported 36,000 infections today.

It's a no brainer, shut them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Savour every sip of wine and every nibble of continental cheese. If France has stopped entry of freight from UK we’re gonna be rationing ALOT of foodstuffs.
    Yeah that's actually quite concerning. We might be seen as being essentially in the same bubble as the UK (thanks to NI), and our freight get blocked. That would be very bad news for Irish producers.

It's all theatre anyway, this strain is probably everywhere, and the UK just particularly good at spotting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Hilarious that covid wasn’t a problem necessary for flights to be cancelled, but covid is a problem necessary enough for flights to be cancelled.

The lack of leadership with regards international travel has been one of this governments biggest failings, it’s always following not leading and as an island we need leadership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

You said about zero risk of getting it that way but that's not the case. How are you going to get into a boat without touching the door or handrail as someone else and without using the bathroom. How will you get through customs without interacting with anyone. If you're driving will you not need to refuel sometime between leaving the house and arriving home? If not will you not interact with the taxi driver or be in the same public transport vehicle as someone else?

He used the word “about” which some people use in that context to cover their arse of being wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

hmmm wrote: »
    Yeah that's actually quite concerning. We might be seen as being essentially in the same bubble as the UK (thanks to NI), and our freight get blocked. That would be very bad news for Irish producers.

It's all theatre anyway, this strain is probably everywhere, and the UK just particularly good at spotting it.

Yep the UK have something called the Genomics UK (COG-UK) consortium who look like there on the ball and have been sequencing a lot of test results of positive cases checking for changes

https://twitter.com/covidgenomicsuk/status/1340735531328679936?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 16,098 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Selfish?
    I live here in Ireland on my own. WFH from march till i lost my job. Once a week i go out to do my shopping.
    I was going to take the ferry to spend 10 days there with her. There is about zero risk for me to get that ****ing virus that way. I would have spent the 2 hours on deck if it had been too busy inside for my liking.

I have a daughter in the UK I haven’t seen since January . She is not coming home because she doesn’t want to risk people she loves
    I have two nieces in the UK who have young families , my brother and sister in law have not seen them or the children since February . They haven’t seen one grandchild at all .
    I have a son also abroad who we haven’t seen since May 19 . He was to come in May 20 which didn’t happen and in December 20 which is not happening . I have a grandchild I haven’t seen
    They are not coming home because they know its the right thing to do .

It’s people who think the restrictions dont apply to them that annoy me .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,655 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Personally I don't give a bollix what strain they have.

They just had their highest day of confirmed cases in the entire pandemic coming into Christmas week with a vertical trajectory.

For that reason alone we should be shutting them down and protecting ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Yep the UK have something called the Genomics UK (COG-UK) consortium who look like there on the ball and have been sequencing a lot of test results of positive cases checking for changes

Yeah I can't imagine that if this strain is that prevelant in London for the last two or three weeks it's not already present in Ireland, even these days lot of "essential" work travel goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Yeah I read a report and it's unique in that this particular variant had something like 17 genetic mutations, when it's usually 1-2 max each month. They also think it's more infectious because of its prevalence in SE and London, apparently if there was favourable conditions for spreading of virus in the SE and London, then this would have favoured all lineages, not just this one. Additionally, it was tested on a mouse model and results from that indicated it was more infectious.

https://virological.org/t/preliminary-genomic-characterisation-of-an-emergent-sars-cov-2-lineage-in-the-uk-defined-by-a-novel-set-of-spike-mutations/563

• Registered Users Posts: 27,099 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Selfish?

I have an 8 week old son that my mother has seen twice, my other siblings have yet to see, my wife's mother has seen him a few times, none of the rest of her family has. They all live in Dublin, like I do.

Covid restrictions are **** for everyone but they are in place for everyone's sake, the government aren't doing this for the craic.

Hilarious that covid wasn’t a problem necessary for flights to be cancelled, but covid is a problem necessary enough for flights to be cancelled.

The lack of leadership with regards international travel has been one of this governments biggest failings, it’s always following not leading and as an island we need leadership.

Well it was found that it now that the strain in London spreads almost twice as fast and numbers can't be reduced even in a lockdown. So things change.

This discovery is similar to a nuke going off in the impact is has.

Yeah I read a report and it's unique in that this particular variant had something like 17 genetic mutations, when it's usually 1-2 max each month. They also think it's more infectious because of its prevalence in SE and London, apparently if there was favourable conditions for spreading of virus in the SE and London, then this would have favoured all lineages, not just this one. Additionally, it was tested on a mouse model and results from that indicated it was more infectious.

It’s not like the advice is changing from 2m to 3m, it’s still essentially the same virus.

Variations and mutations are only relevant when the virus has actually spread from a host to a recipient.

England has a problem of spread that they are seeking to disguise as a new version of the virus being more dangerous.

It’s spreading because they are not doing enough to stop it from spreading
    Not because it’s mutated in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

We could do with more ferries direct from ireland to france/belgium

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭iamnotme

I think the news of the French suspension of "human-handled freight" is somewhat going under the radar at the moment, at least in the British media. Already enough hassle at Channel ports, Brexit and now this. Obvious implications for Irish supply chains.

https://www.cityam.com/new-france-bans-all-travel-from-the-uk-including-truck-and-lorry-drivers/

• Advertisement

It’s not like the advice is changing from 2m to 3m, it’s still essentially the same virus.

Variations and mutations are only relevant when the virus has actually spread from a host to a recipient.

England has a problem of spread that they are seeking to disguise as a new version of the virus being more dangerous.

Could be but I'm not willing to risk it and neither are the leaders of half the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Saadyst wrote: »
    I literally got to the UK a couple of days ago to visit family for the first time this year, and was planning to go back in the coming days. Now it appears I could be stuck here indefinitely.

I hope to hear more about this part soon - "Arrangements are being put in place to facilitate the repatriation of Irish residents on short trips to the UK and planning to return in the coming days"

Hopefully there will be no repatriation. Stay where you are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

We could do with more ferries direct from ireland to france/belgium

Think a new service opened up from Rosslare to Dunkirk but yeah we are going to need a lot more next few months

Well it was found that it now that the strain in London spreads almost twice as fast and numbers can't be reduced even in a lockdown. So things change.

This discovery is similar to a nuke going off in the impact is has.

It can only spread twice as fast if twice as many people are allowing it to spread.

The restrictions and guidelines in the UK are a shambles, that’s the main problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,089 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Turkey suspends flights.

A huge crisis now for the UK.

It can only spread twice as fast if twice as many people are allowing it to spread.

The restrictions and guidelines in the UK are a shambles, that’s the main problem.

Doesn't work like that. In any interaction it is 70% more likely to spread then the original. There is no way we can eliminate all contact. People still need groceries, people still have medical appointments.

Boggles wrote: »
    Personally I don't give a bollix what strain they have.

They just had their highest day of confirmed cases in the entire pandemic coming into Christmas week with a vertical trajectory.

For that reason alone we should be shutting them down and protecting ourselves.

It's probably far too late, but that doesn't mean we should do nothing.
    At one stage 60% of our second wave cases came from Spain, with similar numbers for the rest of Europe, trying to go softly, softly with this pandemic just doesn't work.
    It's like trying to amputate a gangrenous limb, you take more off the first time than you need to to ensure you don't have to go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

No conclusions have been made as to whether it's more dangerous but it looks like it might be more infectious, which is not good as it means more cases in a shorter period of time.

, it spreads twice as fast if it's twice as contagious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Spain doesn't suspend flights. Strange decision from them, guess they need the tourists over Christmas/New Years. A few travel groups I belong to are full of Brits eager to get away. PCR test is needed.

Advertisement