Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Air travel suspended for 48 hours from midnight *Mod Warning in OP Please Read*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,961 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Why wouldn't he be the one to announce the travel ban? He is the Minster for Transport.

I know and that in itself is shocking

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Scotland has closed its border with England, so there won't be any further "ordinary" travel to the island of Ireland by ferry (for people travelling from England) for the time being.

Belfast to Liverpool ferries?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Brexit came early.

• Brexit came early.

Actually, still a year late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

I'm not sure what all the hulabaloo is tbh, it's been around for months. There's 13,000 mutations of SARS-COVI-2, each likely as infectious as the last.

This one is different, and not in a good way.

You'd expect some low-level mutations over a month or so. But this one is significantly different with many dodgy changes. For starters, this version is a lot more "sticky", and has less requirements for infection. Bad combination.

It's fair to say that exposure to immuno-"different" individuals allows mutations to get a better grip of the situation. Like finding a half dead alien, it's much easier to figure out how best to kill it, rather than a fully kicking alien. Great analogy.

I'd also hazard a guess that the greater mixture of different races of people in the likes of London allows more ammunition for the virus to become more effective too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Whilst banning travel from the North will be problematic and likely unenforceable, doing it for flights makes sense. It eliminates most entries to the country and as the rest of the EU seem to be doing it, we don't want to stand separate imo

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

I literally got to the UK a couple of days ago to visit family for the first time this year, and was planning to go back in the coming days. Now it appears I could be stuck here indefinitely.

I hope to hear more about this part soon - "Arrangements are being put in place to facilitate the repatriation of Irish residents on short trips to the UK and planning to return in the coming days"

Scotland have made it illegal to travel to anywhere else in the UK. Northern Ireland need to do the same thing too and ban flights and passenger ferries.

• titan18 wrote: »
    Whilst banning travel from the North will be problematic and likely unenforceable, doing it for flights makes sense. It eliminates most entries to the country and as the rest of the EU seem to be doing it, we don't want to stand separate imo

We’ll have to do something anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

titan18 wrote: »

Scotland has already banned travel to England. Stormount is meeting at 9pm to decide whether or not to do the same. Apparently Arlene and Michelle are on the phone to "London" right now.

We knew Christmas was going to be bad but it has been so much worse than expected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Gradius wrote: »
    This one is different, and not in a good way.

You'd expect some low-level mutations over a month or so. But this one is significantly different with many dodgy changes. For starters, this version is a lot more "sticky", and has less requirements for infection. Bad combination.

It's fair to say that exposure to immuno-"different" individuals allows mutations to get a better grip of the situation. Like finding a half dead alien, it's much easier to figure out how best to kill it, rather than a fully kicking alien. Great analogy.

I'd also hazard a guess that the greater mixture of different races of people in the likes of London allows more ammunition for the virus to become more effective too.

38% of the population of London were born outside the UK with 2/3 of that figure born outside of Europe.

A real melting pot of ethnicity.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/world-cities/london-population

"Literally impossible"

"What about the peace agreement?!"

Etc. Said it needed to happen months ago, met with 500 variations of the above. Well, maybe now we'll see.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

38% of the population of London were born outside the UK with 2/3 of that figure born outside of Europe.

Mod:

Nope, that stuff is not relevant, keep it out of here - use the UK response thread

• You know, if we’d all done this in the early days, we might have avoided the latter half of 2020 entirely. England has been a mess since day one but we allowed travel sight unseen.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Belfast to Liverpool ferries?

Ooops, yes indeed :(

GarIT wrote: »
    Scotland has already banned travel to England. Stormount is meeting at 9pm to decide whether or not to do the same. Apparently Arlene and Michelle are on the phone to "London" right now.

We knew Christmas was going to be bad but it has been so much worse than expected.

Ya, our only hope is they do it themselves. Us trying to ban travel north to south and vice versa will be impossible. At least with flights coming into the south, you're policing a small number of entry points and you can refuse flights from landing if needed

It's theoretical of course, but it makes it much easier for the virus to learn a lot more quickly by such exposure.

Necro wrote: »
    Mod:

Nope, that stuff is not relevant, keep it out of here

Its fact. Those are the demographics of London.

Whether it has anything to do with the strain of the virus is a different story. I'm not saying that it has. I'm not qualified to make the statement that you seem to think I'm making

• titan18 wrote: »
    Ya, our only hope is they do it themselves. Us trying to ban travel north to south and vice versa will be impossible. At least with flights coming into the south, you're policing a small number of entry points and you can refuse flights from landing if needed

Imagine the outage if we started stopping at the border.

There are a few possibilities that had been mentioned before and not acted on. Like banning GB reg cars in Ireland, even for tourists/visitors. Some busses had been stopped during level 5. Trains could be stopped.

• Advertisement

If the UK media report it hysterically there will be looting on the high streets of towns across England. I hope they rise above it and do their nation some service.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Its fact. Those are the demographics of London.

Whether it has anything to do with the strain of the virus is a different story. I'm not saying that it has. I'm not qualified to make the statement that you seem to think I'm making

If it's not Covid or flight related, it's not relevant in the context of this thread

Gradius wrote: »
    "Literally impossible"

"What about the peace agreement?!"

Etc. Said it needed to happen months ago, met with 500 variations of the above. Well, maybe now we'll see.

I mean, outside of the legality, the border can't be policed. You can setup checkpoints on the main roads sure but there's too many entry points to stop traffic on them all. Trying to get them to align with us is probably easier than stopping all movement across the border and we all know getting them so align with us is like slamming your head off the wall.

Necro wrote: »
    If it's not Covid or flight related, it's not relevant in the context of this thread

Fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I mean, outside of the legality, the border can't be policed. You can setup checkpoints on the main roads sure but there's too many entry points to stop traffic on them all. Trying to get them to align with us is probably easier than stopping all movement across the border and we all know getting them so align with us is like slamming your head off the wall.

These are the type of people you're dealing with

https://twitter.com/KilclooneyJohn/status/1340702154168950786?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

What's the idea of 48 hours???

I thought the virus lasts 14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,512 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Imagine the outage if we started stopping at the border.

If Scotland can close border with England we need to close ours with the North - unless the shut off transit to England.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

What's the idea of 48 hours???

I thought the virus lasts 14 days.

Cabinet meeting on Tuesday to discuss extending it.

"Dublin government and flights to the republic"
    Madness. It's the Irish government and flights to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,278 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Time to stop Trains, buses and temporary ban on taxis travelling across. Make life difficult.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Advertisement