Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Air travel suspended for 48 hours from midnight *Mod Warning in OP Please Read*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Saadyst wrote: »
    I literally got to the UK a couple of days ago to visit family for the first time this year, and was planning to go back in the coming days. Now it appears I could be stuck here indefinitely.

I hope to hear more about this part soon - "Arrangements are being put in place to facilitate the repatriation of Irish residents on short trips to the UK and planning to return in the coming days"

Why did you go? Don't you watch the news?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I have a daughter in the UK I haven’t seen since January . She is not coming home because she doesn’t want to risk people she loves
    I have two nieces in the UK who have young families , my brother and sister in law have not seen them or the children since February . They haven’t seen one grandchild at all .
    I have a son also abroad who we haven’t seen since May 19 . He was to come in May 20 which didn’t happen and in December 20 which is not happening . I have a grandchild I haven’t seen
    They are not coming home because they know its the right thing to do .

It’s people who think the restrictions dont apply to them that annoy me .

That seems quite noble but if that works for your circumstances then good for you.

I’ve lost 2 family members this year, not to covid but to other illnesses. I didn’t get to see either of them in the months prior to their death because of covid. It was inhumane and lacking compassion. I had a family member fall in to a serious depression because he couldn’t see or mourn for one of the death’s accordingly. So with all due respect, your family’s decision is good for you but cannot be mapped to other people’s family.

And anyone who shamed people who do travel is beyond disgusting and shows a very narrow view of how a pandemic, now 9+ months in deeply effects the lives of everyone, not just those who fall ill from it. (Which is currently less than 3% of people tested in Ireland. Less than 3%)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

About 2 months ago, I was told by a paramedic friend that there are 3 strains of COVID 19, Italian, English and Chinese ....its only this week the English one is being mentioned by media, it’s scary to think that this is something that was known by a certain number and yet the general population only learn about this now

The vast majority of infections in western Europe and north America have already been traced back to Spanish farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You need to re- read it so, because all the information put the POSSIBLE ability of the virus to be more transmittable at UP TO 70%.

That means it could be 1% or it could be 69%.

The information was only released and hasn’t been tested or verified, it all comes with a major caveat.

What is still true however is that Covid spreads from person to person, no mutation so far has changed that.

What’s also true is that the UK levels of restrictions have not been good enough, and they changed them while numbers were to high.

I did say the study might not be accurate. If it's not oops, we upset Christmas plans. If it is accurate and we do nothing we will have killed thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

faceman wrote: »
    Which is currently less than 3% of people tested in Ireland. Less than 3%)

What "works" for my family is not spreading a contagious disease during a global pandemic, also listening to the advice of experts. Now that I think if it, that's exactly what works for every family.

Any thoughts on why it's 3% in Ireland? The luck of the Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Spreads twice as fast, but only to Brits. Again, are we seeing people drop dead in the streets (remember Wuhan and Italy). Who controls the tests?... the same people that control the lock-downs. A PCR test CAN BE MANIPULATED to give THE RESULT YOU WANT. The same test at 30 cycles comes back NEGATIVE, but at 40 cycles, it comes back POSITIVE.

Remember, they want to install FEAR in the populace, inject you with a saline/placebo vaccine, tell you it works (by manipulating the test results) and a month or two later tell you about a new strain, and lock you down for life.

How many people here can ACTUALLY relay a story of ANYONE who died from covid, that did not have underlying issues nor was (excuse the phrase) at end of life, anyway.

For the few that will fight me on the above, in an average year, how many people die from no reason or who should not be expected to die?

Is this year any different than any of the last 10 years? or is it all a scam/plan?

Mod:

You can continue this discussion in the Conspiracy Theory Forum.

Your the one making ridiculous Statements.
    Back up your own nonsense with a link to whatever dailymail rubbish your reading.

It has already been linked in this thread but here https://virological.org/t/preliminary-genomic-characterisation-of-an-emergent-sars-cov-2-lineage-in-the-uk-defined-by-a-novel-set-of-spike-mutations/563

Do you think national leaders all over the world are reacting to a daily mail article?

• Your the one making ridiculous Statements.
    Back up your own nonsense with a link to whatever dailymail rubbish your reading.

I do love when people make a counter argument and when asked to prove their point just slap the reverse uno cos they got nothing.

Always, always love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

That seems quite noble but if that works for your circumstances then good for you.

I’ve lost 2 family members this year, not to covid but to other illnesses. I didn’t get to see either of them in the months prior to their death because of covid. It was inhumane and lacking compassion. I had a family member fall in to a serious depression because he couldn’t see or mourn for one of the death’s accordingly. So with all due respect, your family’s decision is good for you but cannot be mapped to other people’s family.

And anyone who shamed people who do travel is beyond disgusting and shows a very narrow view of how a pandemic, now 9+ months in deeply effects the lives of everyone, not just those who fall ill from it. (Which is currently less than 3% of people tested in Ireland. Less than 3%)

And yet 100s and even 1000s of of people are dead due to family members walking in from the street thinking they don’t have the virus.

Many of these people would be alive this Christmas.

• Site Banned Posts: 113 ✭✭Dunfyy

saabsaab wrote: »
    Putting it like that you can see how big a problem this could be. Better roll out the vaccine as soon as we can, as many as possible in as short a time as possible. Defense force involvement whatever.out of 10 people in room 2 people will get it
    it also depends on people wearing masks
    If there's fans and no fresh air coming in this will bring it up to 50%
    Also you can catch it from toilet.bring hand sanitizer and practice not touching your face
    Move away from people coughing
    In small places it's better if windows and doors are open avoid pubs and churcher's or anyplace indoors were people are talking or singing glasses will help you avoid getting in your eyes never shake hands stay 2 meters away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

GarIT wrote: »
    It has already been linked in this thread but here https://virological.org/t/preliminary-genomic-characterisation-of-an-emergent-sars-cov-2-lineage-in-the-uk-defined-by-a-novel-set-of-spike-mutations/563

Do you think national leaders all over the world are reacting to a daily mail article?

Which paragraph of that preliminary piece of research substantiates your statement about 85% chance of infection now versus 50%???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭PommieBast

It’s long been established throughout that no matter what kind of flight bans or travel bans or even just advice against same, long term residents & citizens have always been told they can come home. You simply cannot tell someone you can’t come home, it’s just not going to happen.
    I wonder what sort of proof they will want for non-Irish residents. One candidate is PPS card bit a lot of even Irish people refuse to have one..

• https://twitter.com/aerlingus/status/1340743602272657410?s=21

Aer Lingus have said in a statement they’ll be providing flights to return UK visitors home & to serve customers with a connection in the UK, but otherwise flights are suspended.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I do love when people make a counter argument and when asked to prove their point just slap the reverse uno cos they got nothing.

Always, always love it.

Pointing out something isn’t true is not making a counter argument.

I do love when people start posts with ‘I do love’ and then say something that’s just not accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

GreeBo wrote: »
    What "works" for my family is not spreading a contagious disease during a global pandemic, also listening to the advice of experts. Now that I think if it, that's exactly what works for every family.

I have to agree, I think it is very short sighted for people be travelling home for Christmas. I appreciate it must be very difficult for those living abroad who haven’t seen their families in months. The thing is we are so so close to the role out of a vaccine and staying away will help saves lives. It’s as simple as that.
    It must also be said that there are families in Ireland who haven’t seen each other throughout the restrictions either so it is not those just living abroad that are suffering.
    In my view we must do all we can to keep this new strain out and maybe we are too late but we need to try.
    I will be isolating myself over Christmas, unable to see family as I am a close contact of a confirmed case. I have 2 family members currently in ICU battling this terrible virus. I’ll put my hands up and admit there have been times during the pandemic when I was somewhat flippant about all the restrictions. That flippancy stopped fairly quickly when you hear someone you love is fighting for their lives to beat this virus.
    Christmas will not be normal for the majority of families but the most important thing for all families is to take precautions and stay healthy.

Which paragraph of that preliminary piece of research substantiates your statement about 85% chance of infection now versus 50%???

I'll ceed to your superior intelligence and let you read it yourself. The 50% was an example scenario, obviously there are multiple factors, wearing masks, distance, time, ventilation, etc.

py2006 wrote: »
    Looks like the roads out of NI will be very busy over the next couple days.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

GarIT wrote: »
    Why?

There are still flights from London etc into NI so some folk will try get on these instead and make there way south

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

GreeBo wrote: »

Why would your family be spreading an infectious disease? What infectious disease does your family have?

py2006 wrote: »
    There are still flights from London etc into NI so naturally folk will try get on these instead and make there way south

Lots of reports saying they are already fully booked so there won't be any more people but I haven't verified it myself.

Stormount is currently meeting discussing banning flights themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭arctictree

https://twitter.com/aerlingus/status/1340743602272657410?s=21

Aer Lingus have said in a statement they’ll be providing flights to return UK visitors home & to serve customers with a connection in the UK, but otherwise flights are suspended.

And what about returning Irish people home from the UK who are stuck there?

arctictree wrote: »

Eamon Ryan said contact the embassy if you are returning to live in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

iamnotme wrote: »
    I think the news of the French suspension of "human-handled freight" is somewhat going under the radar at the moment, at least in the British media. Already enough hassle at Channel ports, Brexit and now this. Obvious implications for Irish supply chains.

https://www.cityam.com/new-france-bans-all-travel-from-the-uk-including-truck-and-lorry-drivers/

Absolutely massive implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,974 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

arctictree wrote: »

Eamonn Ryan said the government will organise repatriation flights for those people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Why would your family be spreading an infectious disease? What infectious disease does your family have?

At least make an effort if you are trying to counter a point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Eamonn Ryan said the government will organise repatriation flights for those people

Green or government supporters, no unwashed plebs need apply

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Yes I'm sure that's going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,974 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You were already directed to the conspiracy theories forum.

I suspect you'd be more at home there

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    You were already directed to the conspiracy theories forum.

I suspect you'd be more at home there

Unless you are a moderator, please don't try to moderate.

As for my last comment, it has nothing to do with my previous post, so unless you are promoted to Boards Censor of things that I don't like, lay off.

Awaiting incoming shot storm....

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It's this really the quality of your argument, "what infectious disease"?
    It's no wonder our numbers are over 700 again.

Advertisement