Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Air travel suspended for 48 hours from midnight *Mod Warning in OP Please Read*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭malinheader

It is a bit harsh and I do feel sorry for them. I just think people need to put it in perspective.

It's one day, we are not children. We need to think of the relatives they may be spreading it to.

Yes you can't come back for Christmas, it's sad but not really the catastrophe it's being portrayed as.

Sad thing is it will only be someone who cares and who is responsible enough who will abide by it.
    Anyhow let's just hope were not to late.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

embraer170 wrote: »
    Maybe some people have old/sick/dying parents they haven't seen for many months (and in this case travelling by car/ferry even through the UK would be safer than flying)? Or are on long-term work assignments with their wife and kids at home in Ireland?

There are all kinds of reasons people might be in various places and will now find themselves stranded.

Yeah maybe all the people travelling have dying parents or something else.

Or maybe most of them are selfish and want a nice Christmas because they are different and special.

• embraer170 wrote: »
    Maybe some people have old/sick/dying parents they haven't seen for many months (and in this case travelling by car/ferry even through the UK would be safer than flying)? Or are on long-term work assignments with their wife and kids at home in Ireland?

There are all kinds of reasons people might be in various places and will now find themselves stranded.

It’s long been established throughout that no matter what kind of flight bans or travel bans or even just advice against same, long term residents & citizens have always been told they can come home. You simply cannot tell someone you can’t come home, it’s just not going to happen.

If you’re in the UK you WILL be allowed fly home, I imagine the same works in reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

Is Belfast Airport closed for flights from England. Wondering as if it's open people will fly their and travel through the open borders into ROI?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

It is a bit harsh and I do feel sorry for them. I just think people need to put it in perspective.

It's one day, we are not children. We need to think of the relatives they may be spreading it to.

Yes you can't come back for Christmas, it's sad but not really the catastrophe it's being portrayed as.

I agree with what you're saying but every situation is different. Some have sick parents in their 80s (or older) who they rarely see at the best of times and skipping a Christmas might just be too much...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

COVID doesn't care about the reasons for travel.

It’s not harsh though it’s the matter of fact. It sucks that those following advice and practicing good hygiene suffer the same as the anti lockdown, anti masker crowd, but that’s the same way across the board for all restrictions.

There’s folks in tier 4 who followed all the rules. I mean I can safely say I’ve abided every rule and piece of advice under the sun, however that doesn’t grant me access to shops that close, I can’t go to pubs or restaurants etc. It’s just how it is! In these situations you really can’t have one rule for some people and another rule for everyone else.

I think you must of picked me up wrong. I am not looking for one rule for one and one for another.
    I was stating unless the flights into northern Ireland were stopped also the ban on flights into the republic was pointless.
    I was merely saying I felt for people who have abided by all the rules in apprehension of getting home for Christmas.

kfrp wrote: »
    Is Belfast Airport closed for flights from England. Wondering as if it's open people will fly their and travel through the open borders into ROI?

All UK airports are open to flights coming from anywhere. It’s flights to other countries that won’t be allowed land.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

It’s long been established throughout that no matter what kind of flight bans or travel bans or even just advice against same, long term residents & citizens have always been told they can come home. You simply cannot tell someone you can’t come home, it’s just not going to happen.

If you’re in the UK you WILL be allowed fly home, I imagine the same works in reverse.

It might not be so simple for those with cars/dependant on their cars if the ferries simply refuse car passengers.

It will be interesting to watch over the coming days.

I agree with what you're saying but every situation is different. Some have sick parents in their 80s (or older) who they rarely see at the best of times and skipping a Christmas might just be too much...

Don't want to miss your own parents. Kill someone else's parents instead. As sad as it is it's just tough.

• Advertisement

The vast majority are not different though. The vast majority of people don't have sick parents in their 80s.

Exactly. Unless it's an all Ireland approach it's worthless.

This is repeated on every page. Stormount meeting at 9pm to decide. Currently all flight are already booked out.

Exactly. Unless it's an all Ireland approach it's worthless.

Why is a massive reduction worthless?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,512 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think you must of picked me up wrong. I am not looking for one rule for one and one for another.
    I was stating unless the flights into northern Ireland were stopped also the ban on flights into the republic was pointless.
    I was merely saying I felt for people who have abided by all the rules in apprehension of getting home for Christmas.

It's not pointless, it's not 100% effective but it will make a big difference in terms of the numbers (unless extra flights to NI are added)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

GarIT wrote: »
    Why is a massive reduction worthless?

Because it's all or nothing. There is no such thing as reducing risk.

If one person can get in by flight and bus we may as well hold our hands up and do nothing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Stormont meeting at 9pm tonight so we can expect the NI action tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭arctictree

faceman wrote: »
    Stormont meeting at 9pm tonight so we can expect the NI action tonight

There's no way Arlene will allow NI to be treated any different than other parts of the UK.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It's not pointless, it's not 100% effective but it will make a big difference in terms of the numbers (unless extra flights to NI are added)

More than pointless it will be a joke. All Ireland approach has to be the approach here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,512 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

arctictree wrote: »
    There's no way Arlene will allow NI to be treated any different than other parts of the UK.

Well Scotland has notionally closed its border with England so there is a fig leaf there of cover.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Yeah maybe all the people travelling have dying parents or something else.

Or maybe most of them are selfish and want a nice Christmas because they are different and special.

Selfish?
    I live here in Ireland on my own. WFH from march till i lost my job. Once a week i go out to do my shopping.
    My girlfriend lives in the UK on her own.
    I was going to take the ferry to spend 10 days there with her. There is about zero risk for me to get that ****ing virus that way. I would have spent the 2 hours on deck if it had been too busy inside for my liking.
    But i can forget about that now as well.
    I have seen her 2x this year. 1x early march and in september.

Your comments about feeling different and special make my blood boil.
    You have no ****ing clue about the situations people find themselves in.

So if they allow flights in should our ambulance service be still expected to work in the north and put at more risk. Lots of scenarios here. Our island is going to have to pull together to come through this.

Apparently she seems agreeable but SF are opposed to cancelling flights. I can't imagine the people in NI wanted this strain.

So if they allow flights in should our ambulance service be still expected to work in the north and put at more risk. Lots of scenarios here. Our island is going to have to pull together to come through this.

That agreement is only in place till Monday and likely won't continue.

inforfun wrote: »
    Selfish?
    I live here in Ireland on my own. WFH from march till i lost my job. Once a week i go out to do my shopping.
    I was going to take the ferry to spend 10 days there with her. There is about zero risk for me to get that ****ing virus that way. I would have spent the 2 hours on deck if it had been too busy inside for my liking.

There's no 0 risk. Comments like yours make my blood boil. You have no clue about the spread of infectious diseases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Selfish?

Deal with it like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Considering we've banned flights from UK landing here, and state will now have to repatriate Irish citizens stuck over there, will the government finally institute mandatory quarantine in hotel? Surely it's the only sensible thing to do?

Selfish?

I'm sorry if I offended.

GarIT wrote: »
    That agreement is only in place till Monday and likely won't continue.

Likely does not mean it won't be carried on.
    Its like saying if people can't fly into the republic of Ireland they likely won't try and fly into northern Ireland.

• Advertisement

Likely does not mean it won't be carried on.
    Its like saying if people can't fly into the republic of Ireland they likely won't try and fly into northern Ireland.

That is correct. Try and succeed aren't the same.

Advertisement