Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Air travel suspended for 48 hours from midnight *Mod Warning in OP Please Read*

Options

Comments

• arctictree wrote: »
    And what about returning Irish people home from the UK who are stuck there?

You read the same statement I did & therefore have the same knowledge as I do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

GreeBo wrote: »
    It's this really the quality of your argument, "what infectious disease"?
    It's no wonder our numbers are over 700 again.

It’s not my argument, it’s yours. You said:
    Greebo wrote:
    What "works" for my family is not spreading a contagious disease during a global pandemic,

I merely asked what contagious disease your family has?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

faceman wrote: »

Luckily it’s not stupidity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

embraer170 wrote: »
    Absolutely massive implications.

Extraordinary times for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Ok, let's play your game.
    I can go two ways:
    1) I didn't say my family had any infectious disease, I said we don't want to spread one.
    2) I have no idea what infectious disease my family has, since none of us has been tested yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

As well as UK COBRA meeting tomorrow morning to examine the delicate position which the UK now finds itself from a travel and freight perspective, EU council has also called a meeting tomorrow to discuss way forward.

https://twitter.com/adamparsons/status/1340710993417150464

• Registered Users Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭bennyl10

As well as UK COBRA meeting tomorrow morning, EU council has also called a meeting to discuss way forward

https://twitter.com/adamparsons/status/1340710993417150464

What fresh hell is this

Total EU ban until the new year?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    You were already directed to the conspiracy theories forum.

I suspect you'd be more at home there

Unless you are a moderator, please don't try to moderate.

As for my last comment, it has nothing to do with my previous post, so unless you are promoted to Boards Censor of things that I don't like, lay off.

Awaiting incoming shot storm....

Mod:

HeidiHeidi, please report posts you have an issue with.

tonysopprano, you're doing the exact same thing and being uncivil to boot. Don't post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The EU should be effectively blockading the UK and forcing every member to comply. We should be banning travel from any country that is taking UK travel.
    Anyone who has come from the UK in the last week should be forcibly quarantined.

If this new strain gets loose here we are screwed, we have proven we can't act responsibly so it will go rampant.

If the EU were to blockade us we would be royally shagged, beef, milk and potatoes for a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ok, let's play your game.
    I can go two ways:
    1) I didn't say my family had any infectious disease, I said we don't want to spread one.
    2) I have no idea what infectious disease my family has, since none of us has been tested yet.

1) You can’t spread an infectious disease if you don’t have one

2) If you think you have an infectious disease you need to get tested.

Which begs the questions:

Are you concerned that someone in your family has the disease?
    If so, will you get tested?
    If you know that your family don’t have an infectious disease what’s the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The Uk situation has escalated alarmingly quickly.

Back of my head says maybe this is a lesson re Brexit, and how the worm can turn and isolate the exceptionalist nature of UK.

But I am sure I am wrong. I usually am.

I doubt Foster will isolate NI from UK either, but we shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Uk situation has escalated alarmingly quickly.
    Back of my head says maybe this is a lesson re Brexit, and how the worm can turn and isolate the exceptionalist nature of UK.
    But I am sure I am wrong. I usually am.
    I doubt Foster will isolate NI from UK either, but we shall see.

Did Spain cop it had a mutation in summer?
    Maybe the UK are paying the price for awareness and honesty.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The EU should be effectively blockading the UK and forcing every member to comply. We should be banning travel from any country that is taking UK travel.
    Anyone who has come from the UK in the last week should be forcibly quarantined.

If this new strain gets loose here we are screwed, we have proven we can't act responsibly so it will go rampant.

If the EU were to blockade us we would be royally shagged, beef, milk and potatoes for a few months.

The EU aren't going to blockade us for goodness sake.

The rest of your post a agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

You don't know if you have it or not that's the whole issue. That's why its so dangerous.

It can be spread without symptoms, but I would be fairly sure you know that.

We have no access to daily tests as in the white house so you do not know if you have it.

That's the whole problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

UK officials have said it will take two weeks to grow the virus in a lab and then test the efficacy of current vaccines on it.
    That was yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ElJeffe wrote: »

If the UK is blockaded in so is our landbridge to Europe.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

bennyl10 wrote: »
    What fresh hell is this

Total EU ban until the new year?

Could be weeks or months. Nobody knows yet.

Good lord, you can't be this ignorant? You know about the high number of asymptomatic cases right?
    Of course I can spread it! What do you think happens if I touch something that an infected person touches and I then touch something else? Fairy magic?

I don't know I have one, but I don't know that I don't have one either, neither do you.
    That's why we are all supposed to be cutting out non essential travel and social interactions... Because no one knows who has it and who doesn't. Infectious people aren't writhing on the ground with blood coming out of their eyes! This isn't 28 days later mate.

The mind boggles.

• Advertisement

I hope this wont lead to hurling being suspended next year :-/

France already has. Do we have any other shipping routes other than the Netherlands?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I hope this wont lead to hurling being suspended next year :-/

Unfortunately Waterford will never win so I don't think it really matters :(

Why wouldn't they, if the UK strain broke out over here (which is what I said)?
    Why would they ban UK travel but not Irish travel under the same circumstances? If they have any brains of course they would stop travel from countries where it's out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

BBC news coverage of the fact that their main freight link (by a sizeable margin) to mainland Europe seemed slightly understated.

It kept mentioning the 48 hour ban but surely that is likely to be extended

We produce enough food to feed 36 million people. We are the 2nd most food secure nation in the world. We won't starve even with the ports and airports closed. The UK actually could.

BBC news coverage of the fact that their main freight link (by a sizeable margin) to mainland Europe seemed slightly understated.

It kept mentioning the 48 hour ban but surely that is likely to be extended

The EU is working on a joint approach tomorrow morning. They could get France to allow cargo through.

GarIT wrote: »
    France already has. Do we have any other shipping routes other than the Netherlands?

We have daily services to and from France and a route to northern Spain. Nobody will starve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Welcome to COVID-19 lesson One

Today’s word is Asymptomatic

In medicine, a disease is considered asymptomatic if a patient is a carrier for a disease or infection but experiences no symptoms. A medical condition might be asymptomatic if it fails to show the noticeable symptoms with which it is usually associated.

• Advertisement

We have daily services to and from France and a route to northern Spain. Nobody will starve.

The ones to France have stopped.

Advertisement