Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Air travel suspended for 48 hours from midnight *Mod Warning in OP Please Read*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

GarIT wrote: »
    Apparently some direct flights like Amsterdam to Dublin had been booked out for weeks.

The Netherlands have been having much higher case rates that the UK over the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭malinheader

No, if you want to behave like an utter scumbag and flout public health advice and endanger all around you, by all means you are free to fly into Belfast. You're welcome.

Anyone heading for Donegal would probably have booked to fly via Belfast, so not stopping the flights into northern Ireland would probably make the ban on flights into Ireland a bit of a lame duck as there will be plenty of people willing to avail of the opening. If not an all Ireland approach it's useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,637 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

arctictree wrote: »
    What about all the GB cars that normally come over this week. Will they be stopped?

Yea. For 48 hours at least/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Anyone heading for Donegal would probably have booked to fly via Belfast, so not stopping the flights into northern Ireland would probably make the ban on flights into Ireland a bit of a lame duck as there will be plenty of people willing to avail of the opening. If not an all Ireland approach it's useless.

And plenty of people don't live in Donegal and won't be back because their flight has been cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

What about all the GB cars that normally come over this week. Will they be stopped?

Yes.

• Advertisement

Seamai wrote: »
    The Netherlands have been having much higher case rates that the UK over the last couple of weeks.

Yeah but they don't have the super strain discovered in the UK today.

Yea. For 48 hours at least/

Everywhere else in Europe has said two weeks. We have just said 48 hours as the Taoiseach has had to decide on his own. The government will meet on Tuesday to decide how long it lasts.

October according to BBC...so were the UK hiding something and now being punished internationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

It's been in the UK since September. The new variant has also been detected in samples from the Netherlands.

And plenty of people don't live in Donegal and won't be back because their flight has been cancelled.

Going to be devastating to alot of families.
    I know people over in the UK who have been isolating and even got tested before they were planning on heading home.

I also know some people who won't give a ****e and couldn't care less.

This is the problem.

• Advertisement

4% of the people will still fly so let's let everyone in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Yes

John.Icy wrote: »
    It's been in the UK since September. The new variant has also been detected in samples from the Netherlands.

In isolated cases, it's apparently everywhere in the UK and makes up the majority of cases in some areas.

October according to BBC...so were the UK hiding something and now being punished internationally.

No. How bad it is was discovered in the last 24 hours but it existed before today.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In isolated cases, it's apparently everywhere in the UK and makes up the majority of cases in some areas.

Well, hopefully Great Britain UK not all of the UK or Ireland is in big trouble...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

No. How bad it is was discovered in the last 24 hours but it existed before today.
    If they were doing any way effective contact tracing it should have been obvious that it was highly contagious. I'm not going to start a conspiracy theory.

Going to be devastating to alot of families.
    I know people over in the UK who have been isolating and even got tested before they were planning on heading home.

I also know some people who won't give a ****e and couldn't care less.

This is the problem.

No the problem is people whining about how hard it is when other people are sick or dying. I really couldn't care less about people who can't travel.

It's sad but I am fairly sure as adults they will get over it.

Devastating is losing someone in your family not having one bad Christmas.

If they were doing any way effective contact tracing it should have been obvious that it was highly contagious. I'm not going to start a conspiracy theory.

To be fair. They could have thought the numbers were going up because people wearnt following the precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,637 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

All these bans are too late, that strain is going on in London for weeks and weeks, it's all just silly reactions that mean nothings. It's for sure here already, how could it not be.

All these bans are too late, that strain is going on in London for weeks and weeks, it's all just silly reactions that mean nothings. It's for sure here already, how could it not be.

It's not to stop it getting here it's to slow down the spread.

• Advertisement

To be fair. They could have thought the numbers were going up because people wearnt following the precautions.
    Either way it doesn't reflect well on the UK response to the infection. The truth will be known in the fullness of time by those whose job it is to know, not us laypersons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Anyone know if Cargo is still flying?

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Anyone know if Cargo is still flying?

Ferries with freight only was mentioned but nothing about cargo planes (though you’d almost assume yes)

No the problem is people whining about how hard it is when other people are sick or dying. I really couldn't care less about people who can't travel.

It's sad but I am fairly sure as adults they will get over it.

Devastating is losing someone in your family not having one bad Christmas.

A bit harsh on people who have followed all the advice, isolated and even had tests done.
    But agree one bad Christmas is better than a loved ending up dead.
    But we all know that the responsible people will stay put but all the assholes will find someway of travelling not giving a damn about restrictions or rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If France is stopping freight getting through then some people are about to learn a hard lesson on supply chains and how they affect your daily life.

I feel bad for the drivers stuck at the ports though, some of them are going to get royally screwed by this.

A bit harsh on people who have followed all the advice, isolated and even had tests done.
    But we all know that the responsible people will stay put but all the assholes will find someway of travelling not giving a damn about restrictions or rules.

It is a bit harsh and I do feel sorry for them. I just think people need to put it in perspective.

It's one day, we are not children. We need to think of the relatives they may be spreading it to.

Yes you can't come back for Christmas, it's sad but not really the catastrophe it's being portrayed as.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If France is stopping freight getting through then some people are about to learn a hard lesson on supply chains and how they affect your daily life.

I feel bad for the drivers stuck at the ports though, some of them are going to get royally screwed by this.

Especially so as over the last few days freight traffic in and out of UK was at crazy levels as everybody (every company) who could tried to stockpile / bring in freight earlier because it looked like a hard Brexit was coming in a few days. European transport has been severely disrupted already ..this is not helping.

It’s not harsh though it’s the matter of fact. It sucks that those following advice and practicing good hygiene suffer the same as the anti lockdown, anti masker crowd, but that’s the same way across the board for all restrictions.

There’s folks in tier 4 who followed all the rules. I mean I can safely say I’ve abided every rule and piece of advice under the sun, however that doesn’t grant me access to shops that close, I can’t go to pubs or restaurants etc. It’s just how it is! In these situations you really can’t have one rule for some people and another rule for everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭embraer170

Maybe they shouldn't travel through multiple countries in the middle of a pandemic? Crazy I know.

Maybe some people have old/sick/dying parents they haven't seen for many months (and in this case travelling by car/ferry even through the UK would be safer than flying)? Or are on long-term work assignments with their wife and kids at home in Ireland?

There are all kinds of reasons people might be in various places and will now find themselves stranded.

Advertisement