Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I’m on a high tech script so hope that gets me in to group 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Yeah it'll be interesting to see how they work it. There's obvious ones like people with heart disease or CF, but say for asthma where it would have to be fairly bad asthma to be included in the group you might get people putting pressure on GPs to make out they are worse than they really are.

A lot of people that take immunosuppressants would be on High Tech scripts so the HSE should have that data fairly handy to get those people on the list

For asthma I imagine it will be the same as the flu jab. I’m asthmatic but I don’t always get it free. It depends on what meds I’m on at that time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Water John wrote: »
    Ah now, look at your name here.

A bit cheap isn't it.

He just asked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Can we be sure we won't experience people skipping the queue because of who they are or who they know just like people got off scot free without penalty points? Will certain people not even get a vaccine because they can stamped as covid free because they have the right friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I am directly involved in validating the critical part of the cold chain for the storage of the vaccines. Procurement of the freezers were as fast as they could have been and the testing and validation of each freezer is quite difficult and takes an frustrating amount of time but I can say with 100% confidence that these units are very fit for purpose.

Some countries received their vials of vaccine, transported on vans that aren't suited or built or equipped for those temperatures.
    So I wonder what those countries have received if the cold chain hasn't been maintained from the producer to the destination.

• Advertisement

I presume it would. Long Covid seems to be a form of post viral fatigue to me.

You should talk to someone who has long Covid and see if it's just post viral fatigue...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Some countries received their vials of vaccine, transported on vans that aren't suited or built or equipped for those temperatures.
    So I wonder what those countries have received if the cold chain hasn't been maintained from the producer to the destination.

Any.concrete examples of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Stheno wrote: »

All countries received them by van, from the images looks like same company transported across Europe.

The vans aren't built for ultra low storage at -70 but the shipments were packed with dry ice so realistically doesn't make a blind bit of difference if they arrived on motorbike, car or truck.

There are devices within the Pfizer box to verify the cold chain, alarms for want of a better word where you can verify the cold chain,the take the vaccine out of the dry ice box and into the -70 freezers which are out in city west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

You should talk to someone who has long Covid and see if it's just post viral fatigue...

I have. And they have pretty much the same symptoms you would have with a post viral syndrome.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

All countries received them by van, from the images looks like same company transported across Europe.

The vans aren't built for ultra low storage at -70 but the shipments were packed with dry ice so realistically doesn't make a blind bit of difference if they arrived on motorbike, car or truck.

There are devices within the Pfizer box to verify the cold chain, alarms for want of a better word, take them out of the dry ice box and into the -70 freezers which are out in city west.

Ah makes sense, I forgot about the dry ice
    So more hysterical nonsense being posted with no basis in fact :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I always thought Ireland had a bigger over 65s population than that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Ah makes sense, I forgot about the dry ice
    So more hysterical nonsense being posted with no basis in fact :)

There was issues in a handful of German cities with 1 consignment of about 1,000 doses, the built in temperature loggers recorded a temperature of 15 degrees at one point during transport, Pfizer & BioNTech are investigating according to reports. The shipments are GPS tracked so they'll be able to verify

TV footage? Is it enough?

Italy received its vials on a van usually used to ship frozen food. I van with Poland registration plates (like if Pfizer had run out of proper vans).
    It took nearly 48 hours to get from Belgium to here, nearly the same time it takes to walk the same distance.
    When unloaded, they were simple cardboard boxes, with a thick insulated container in them.
    I would have expected some professional freezers, that's what I had thought.

I also thought that we would have needed something more that 9,750 doses.

I have. And they have pretty much the same symptoms you would have with a post viral syndrome.

So I'm out of the average?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Can we be sure we won't experience people skipping the queue because of who they are or who they know just like people got off scot free without penalty points? Will certain people not even get a vaccine because they can stamped as covid free because they have the right friends?

You are basically suggesting someone with a medical license referring someone to be prioritised for vaccine based on a exaggerated or non existent condition.

You should talk to someone who has post viral fatigue and call it “just post viral fatigue”

So I'm out of the average?

No?

I'm not saying 'long Covid' isn't debilitating. I'm staying it seems to be a severe form of post viral syndrome after something like mono.

You should talk to someone who has post viral fatigue and call it “just post viral fatigue”

I'm one of those Long Covid patients, and I can tell you that it isn't just a post viral fatigue. It's nearly debilitating.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I'm one of those Long Covid patients, and I can tell you that it isn't just a post viral fatigue. It's nearly debilitating.

My mother had a viral infection a few years ago and it took her 12 months to get over it, savage fatigue, bloods all wrong etc.

She did recover though. I'm sure you will and others will as well. Unfortunately it will take time.

I wish you well.

Post viral faitigue can be awful. I've met people who have had it and had to quit their jobs. The other difficult thing about it is that people have the same dismissive attitude that you have.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear

Can you say what age you are and how long you've had Long Covid?

Is it slowly getting better?

I don't want to de-rail this thread. If you prefer, there's a Long Covid thread here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113630503

Post viral faitigue can be awful. I've met people who have had it and had to quit their jobs. The other difficult thing about it is that people have the same dismissive attitude that you have.

I'm not being dismissive, but it often seems that people don't even believe that Long Covid exists, like I had read from a few posters weeks ago.
    I'm really angry at this lingering symptoms, and sometimes I would like to read a scientific article that explains how long they will last, or someone that has the courage to admit that these symptoms might be permanent.
    That would be a kindness to those that have to live with these conditions.
    I feel like this aspect of the pandemic has been forgotten.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear

Can you say what age you are and how long you've had Long Covid?

Is it slowly getting better?

I don't want to de-rail this thread. If you prefer, there's a Long Covid thread here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113630503

I reply here, though I won't keep posting about it in this thread because it's OT, just for giving some bit of info and to reply to you:
    I'm 55, I tested positive to the coronavirus early April 2020, for about three weeks. So, it's over 7 months now.
    Yes, it seems it's slowly getting better, though I don't know if it's because I'm getting used to it and I am taking those lingering symptoms as part of my new normal.
    I might contribute to that thread if my experience can be helpful or useful.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I'm Italian, I live in Italy, I just like Boards.ie for the company :)

I reply here, though I won't keep posting about it in this thread because it's OT, just for giving some bit of info and to reply to you:
    I'm 55, I tested positive to the coronavirus early April 2020, for about three weeks. So, it's over 7 months now.
    Yes, it seems it's slowly getting better, though I don't know if it's because I'm getting used to it and I am taking those lingering symptoms as part of my new normal.
    I might contribute to that thread if my experience can be helpful or useful.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I'm Italian, I live in Italy, I just like Boards.ie for the company :)

I'd severe pneumonia many years ago, it took the best part of a year to.feel fully back to normal

I reply here

Thanks for the extra info and it sounds like you'll get there in the end. Just keep persevering.

I believe there's a large Long Covid group now on Facebook where everyone swaps tips. Maybe it'll be useful

Consider yourself and adopted Irishman so :)

And yes, Boards is (mostly) a good community. I've been on and off here since about the year 2000 and I find myself coming back to it still all these years later

Please consider updating us of your Long Covid on the thread linked in the coming months. It'll be great to see any positive progress you make

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

There was issues in a handful of German cities with 1 consignment of about 1,000 doses, the built in temperature loggers recorded a temperature of 15 degrees at one point during transport, Pfizer & BioNTech are investigating according to reports. The shipments are GPS tracked so they'll be able to verify

Yeah I posted about it on previous page, those cities made decision to hold back on vaccinating temporarily on that basis, it proves the safety checks in place are very efficient, which is great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,177 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Link here to an art by an infectious disease control expert who's out of work due to Long Covid:
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/27/consultant-infectious-diseases-long-covid-not-mild-illness-seriously-debilitated-new-clinics

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Just to confirm what I said earlier for the few posters who doubted me :rolleyes:

BBC reporting CUH, GUH, St James' and Beaumont to start vaccinations on Tuesday.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55462150

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Just to confirm what I said earlier for the few posters who doubted me :rolleyes:

BBC reporting CUH, GUH, St James' and Beaumont to start vaccinations on Tuesday.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55462150

Fingers crossed they'll make it. Waiting for Tuesday so.

Just to be clear, small number of people is about what size

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm not saying 'long Covid' isn't debilitating. I'm staying it seems to be a severe form of post viral syndrome after something like mono.

My son had Mono (Glandular Fever) last year. I most likely had Covid in March, followed by "long Covid." I felt there was a huge similarity in how symptoms lingered and how we both suffered relapses after being active. I was worse in a lot of ways, but glandular fever's post-viral syndromes aren't as hard on a child's body as it can be on an adult's.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement