Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

22,698 people recovered in Ireland so far. But how many of them are 100% ok after?

Options
  • 03-06-2020 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭

Does "recovered" just mean you're no longer testing positive for Covid, but you might be left with 6 months of rehab to walk again? Or left with 20% less lung capacity etc?

Some have contracted Guillain–Barré syndrome immediately afterwards, leaving them in a wheelchair. A third of COVID-19 patients have reported neurological symptoms

So - as far as the stats go - how recovered is recovered? Genuinely curious

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Over a third... That is quite alot.

There definitely seems to be a long recovery in some. I know someone with on and off symptoms for about 8 weeks.

This is not a mild illness we were told it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

I only know one person who had it. Ended up hospitalised.

3 weeks after being discharged they were still barely able to move off the bed/couch.

'Recovered' is a bit vague I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

There definitely seems to be a long recovery in some. I know someone with on and off symptoms for about 8 weeks.

This is not a mild illness we were told it would be.

This person tested positive?

This person tested positive?

They got a false negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,201 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

So they never actually got a postive test ?? So you don't know if it is covid, your just guessing.
    Without a postive test or anti body test you can't say it's a false negative

• Advertisement

So they never actually got a postive test ?? So you don't know if it is covid, your just guessing.
    Without a postive test or anti body test you can't say it's a false negative

Tests fail. Their own doctor said they would bet their bank account that it was a false negative. But never mind, there's a second mysterious virus doing the rounds causing all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,201 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Tests fail. Their own doctor said they would bet their bank account that it was a false negative. But never mind, there's a second mysterious virus doing the rounds causing all this.

So again theres no confirmation so you don't know therefore can't say it's a false negative.

Get an antibody test so when they become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭normanoffside

This person wouldn't be on these statistics
    So again theres no confirmation so you don't know therefore can't say it's a false negative.

Get an antibody test so when they become available.

They are available in most travel vaccination clinics

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Purely anecdotal, my uncle got it, hospital, pneumonia etc

Full recovery, he's completely OK.

Again purely anecdotal from a stranger on the Internet so take it as you want.

D.Q wrote: »

This is one strange virus, how it's affecting people in different ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Well yes, there are many other viruses and illnesses besides covid. If they tested negative, chances are it was/is something else and not just a false result. If they think they still have it why not get another test?

I find it strange how a lot of these people having long lasting and varied symptoms have tested negative.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Well yes, there are many other viruses and illnesses besides covid. If they tested negative, chances are it was/is something else and not just a false result. If they think they still have it why not get another test?

I find it strange how a lot of these people having long lasting and varied symptoms have tested negative.

They were away on holidays to an affected region earlier in the year. Chances are that it was Covid-19.

- On holidays
    - Symptoms
    - Doctor thinks it was false negative

But boards thinks differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I should also point out he got a false negative too. Similar to what people are saying here, doctors 100% he had it, but test said negative

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We don't know how many have had it, so any "recovery" figures are not particularly useful

There are so many cases around the world that I’m pretty sure you’d be hearing about it if people were having major after affects. Especially with a scaremongering government and media like Ireland.

There are so many cases around the world that I’m pretty sure you’d be hearing about it if people were having major after affects. Especially with a scaremongering government and media like Ireland.

There's Facebook recovery groups, I joined up to get a better understanding of this and what to expect if/when I get it.

Some people on week 10 and still no break in their symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

4 friends and an Aunty all mates 30-40 perfect after 2 weeks, aunty 77 with COPD perfect after 4 weeks

There's Facebook recovery groups, I joined up to get a better understanding of this and what to expect if/when I get it.

Some people on week 10 and still no break in their symptoms.

Definitely no crackpots on facebook who jump on the latest illness bandwagon (chronic lyme disease anyone?)

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Definitely no crackpots on facebook who jump on the latest illness bandwagon (chronic lyme disease anyone?)

Latest illness bandwagon... What a way to describe it. Just because you can't see if someone has Lyme disease, it doesn't mean they don't have it.

Maybe you would like something like the smallpox, something you can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Their own doctor said they would bet their bank account that it was a false negative. But never mind, there's a second mysterious virus doing the rounds causing all this.

So why didn’t your mate get tested a few more times, when there was a good chance they had a lot of money to gain?

Worst that could happen is they had peace of mind they never had covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

doctors 100% he had it, but test said negative

Doctor needs to go back to medical school so.

Latest illness bandwagon... What a way to describe it. Just because you can't see if someone has Lyme disease, it doesn't mean they don't have it.

Maybe you would like something like the smallpox, something you can see.

I'm specifically talking about the people who claim to be having wide ranging symptoms for months on end, and despite negative tests, they are convinced its covid 19. Just like "chronic" lyme disease, there is no evidence that this is a thing in relation to coronavirus. All I'm saying is take what you read on facebook with a grain of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The other month Covid-19 test kits in Tanzania have raised suspicion after samples taken from a goat, sheep and a pawpaw fruit (not even an animal/mamal) and all gave positve results. It was not stated where they were sourced, but a good guess might be China.

If you like the odd dash of pepper, the general cure for any fever there, is pepper soup (with lots of pepper in it, and pepper on top).

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/coronavirus-tanzania-test-kits-suspicion-goat-pawpaw-positive-a9501291.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Polar101

Well, that was of 214 hospitalised Chinese patients in January and February - so people who got to a serious condition.

I'd wager treatments have improved since, as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I think if there were serious long term (as in still present issues after no longer testing positive) we would be hearing more about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Would that be Covid 20 or Covid 21? Or perhaps it could be one of the 18 previous Covid viruses which could be still around?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Even if you have had it and 'recovered' that may not be the end of the story.

No one knows the complications this disease can cause.

This is part of the problem. If it was a simple cold or flu no country would be closed up. But it's not and no one knows what the complications are for those you have had it.

The asymptomatic are in a far worse position. It's a question then of dormancy and when it starts to attack the immune system, when it 'activates'. Is it when the person hits 21, 30, 45, 50 or 60? Will it activate at the first sign of weakness - i.e common illness? Is it measured in months or years before activation? Will it activate based on the season?

No one knows.

This is why it so dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Friends brother in law ended up in ICU with what they believe to be covid, yet three tests came back covid negative. Yet his wife has tested positive for covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Beasty wrote: »
    We don't know how many have had it, so any "recovery" figures are not particularly useful
    That's not quite true. We can look at a population of people who we know have had it, and monitor their recovery.

For obvious reasons, the long-tailed consquences of CV-19 aren't known yet. There's a lot of diseases where many sufferers recover quickly; some sufferers recover slowly; and some have long-term or permanent consequences. CV-19 may well turn out to be one of these.

We already know that, even in the acute phase of the disease, different people have different experiences. Some, for example, develop pneumonia while others do not. And it's already the case that pneumonia has a long recovery time, so CV-19 sufferers who develop pneumonia will typically have a longer recovery time than those who do not.

You'd expect that, as a rough rule of thumb, the more severe your condition during the acute phase of the disease, the longer your recover period will be and the more likely you are to have diverse complications and consequences. But in the nature of things it will be some time before a clear picture emerges; you can't study how well people are, say, six months after being diagnosed with CV-19 until you have a population who were diagnosed 6 months ago, which of course we don't.

Advertisement