Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

NIMAN wrote: »
    I seen rte news showing German, Spanish, Italian old folk getting injections. Ours are starting in 3 days, why?

Please, don't be fooled by the news.
    Today in Italy they ran a symbolic vaccination day, we received only a few hundreds doses for the whole country, and they were mainly used to give a jab to a few health workers in different hospitals.
    The real vaccination day will be someday in January, when we receive some few doses more.
    The plan is to give 450,000 doses a week (I wonder why so few) till the end of September, which won't cover the whole population at all. Some news, though, reported that the vaccination plan for this country will end Q2 2022.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Today in Italy they ran a symbolic vaccination day, we received only a few hundreds doses for the whole country

Some news, though, reported that the vaccination plan for this country will end Q2 2022.

Holy shít @ that last bit :eek:

With Oxford and more almost a given at this stage, Q2 in 2022 seems ridiculous for Italy

I really, really hope this isn't the case for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭obi604

Today in Italy they ran a symbolic vaccination day, we received only a few hundreds doses for the whole country, and they were mainly used to give a jab to a few health workers in different hospitals.
    The real vaccination day will be someday in January, when we receive some few doses more.
    The plan is to give 450,000 doses a week (I wonder why so few) till the end of September, which won't cover the whole population at all. Some news, though, reported that the vaccination plan for this country will end Q2 2022.

Holy sh1t at the 450,000 a week. I presume this is a typo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭hynesie08

obi604 wrote: »
    Holy sh1t at the 450,000 a week. I presume this is a typo.

If we're getting 30,000 a week, and Italy has 15 times our population........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭obi604

hynesie08 wrote: »
    If we're getting 30,000 a week, and Italy has 15 times our population........

Ah ok. Hands up. Missed the Italy part.

So Ireland’s aim is roughly 30,000 vaccines a week...... when we get it to the swing of things.

• Advertisement

So Ireland’s aim is roughly 30,000 vaccines a week...... when we get it to the swing of things.

30,000 a week for 8 weeks split between care home residents and HCWs, having everyone in care homes vaccinated pre paddy's day.

That's without moderna, Oxford, anyone else involved which will ramp up everything.

Don't worry about the negativity on here today, there's a lot to be positive about.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Pfizer alone. This game only kicks into gear when we get the AstraZeneca vaccine on board, and it moves up a gear when we get the even simpler to handle Janssen vaccine also

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It's clear from the interview today that Astra Zeneca will have good news - it has to be written up and peer reviewed etc., and scrutinised by people who know what they are looking at.

Pfizer & Moderna got criticised by some for immediately letting people know what the headline numbers are through press release, Astra Zeneca are getting criticised for not releasing enough information early and waiting to publish it in a journal. You can't win at the moment :)

With the production capacity they have, the news is a million times better today than it was yesterday as regards the speed of vaccinations. With any luck J&J's one-shot vaccine has decent results, in which case I go back to funnydoggy talking about us "swimming in vaccines" by mid-year.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

30,000 a week is totally inadequate. That would mean 1.5m a year, with only 750k getting their "2 jabs". At that rate it would take about 6 years to vaccinate everyone

I posted earlier we need to be ramping up to 400k jabs a week to vaccinate everyone who wants it by the middle of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭mike8634

Beasty wrote: »
    . At that rate it would take about 6 years to vaccinate everyone

Why are you presuming everyone will get it?

• Advertisement

30,000 a week is totally inadequate. That would mean 1.5m a year, with only 750k getting their "2 jabs". At that rate it would take about 6 years to vaccinate everyone

I posted earlier we need to be ramping up to 400k jabs a week to vaccinate everyone who wants it by the middle of the year
    We can only go at the speed the vaccines are manufactured and made available to us.

I'd say best case is probably in the 160k-200k a week range for the initial few months with four vaccines available, and then the taps really opening around May/June. That's based on Pfizer & Moderna with around 1 billion doses a year, and Oxford and J&J with 2 billion each.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

FFS where is this 30000 a week figure coming from???
    40,000 Pfizer doses a week being delivery from next week. So thats total bs, even efore you allow for all the other vacines and Pfizer ramping up supply

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What will our allocation of AstraZeneca be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Gael23 wrote: »
    What will our allocation of AstraZeneca be?

4 million doses.

lbj666 wrote: »
    FFS where is this 30000 a week figure coming from???
    40,000 Pfizer doses a week being delivery from next week. So thats total bs, even efore you allow for all the other vacines and Pfizer ramping up supply
    When the manufacturers say things like "we are going to supply a billion doses in 2021", it would be useful for them to give a bit of a graph of when that supply is going to arrive. It might be 300 million by end June, with 700 million in the second half, and I think a lot of people don't realise this.

I know from hearing an interview that the German government asked BioNTech what it could do to help, and they were told to get the regulator to accelerate work on approving their Marburg plant. The manufacturers are flat-out trying to produce this stuff on unheard of timetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    4 million doses.

Over the whole of 2021?
    That’s about 300k a month roughly if so

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

hmmm wrote: »
    I know from hearing an interview that the German government asked BioNTech what it could do to help, and they were told to get the regulator to accelerate work on approving their Marburg plant. The manufacturers are flat-out trying to produce this stuff on unheard of timetables.

It would be useful if Governments across the Western world threw every cent possible at expanding manufacturing of these vaccines. It would save a shítton of money in the long run.

You'd build a new pharma plant per week in Ireland just on the weekly expenditure on PUP during lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    4 million doses.

Full list from the strategy document

Gonna sound like a moron here, but who are curevac and why have they completely escaped my attention up to now??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,998 ✭✭✭cena

My dads nursing home is to get the injection on the 11th of January. I'm not if he should take as he has Alzheimer's and dementia. I fear what could happen to him if he takes it.

• Advertisement

UK newspapers front pages tomorrow reflecting plan to have Oxford/AstraZeneca approved next week with 15 million to be vaccinated by February, removing the requirement for "severe lockdowns".

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-the-papers-55462683

cena wrote: »
    My dads nursing home is to get the injection on the 11th of January. I'm not if he should take as he has Alzheimer's and dementia. I fear what could happen to him if he takes it.
    If it were me, I'd be much more fearful of what would happen if there happened to be a Covid-19 outbreak in the nursing home and the residents weren't vaccinated.

If there was a clear safety issue with this vaccine it would not be deployed in the manner it is to be deployed in.

Almost 3 million people worldwide now have been given this vaccine remember.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Gonna sound like a moron here, but who are curevac and why have they completely escaped my attention up to now??
    Themselves and Novavax are two interesting companies who may deliver beginning of Q2.

Curevac have an mRNA vaccine also, so you'd hope they could hit the same results as Pfizer/Moderna. Hmmzis or someone can maybe explain a bit more, but I understand their vaccine is more stable & doesn't have the ultra-cold requirements.

They're a bit behind the others, but have just gone into phase 3 so results maybe around March/April at the earliest.

The important thing about Curevac from an EU point of view is that they are a German company, and so the EU has taken a big bet on them (along with Sanofi). That was important because there was always the risk that the US government could force the US-headquartered companies like Pfizer & Moderna to exclusively supply them with vaccine.

Interesting............ Cheers.

Without wanting to sound flippant, Covid would be an awful lot worse and there will be a lot of risk of Covid spread.

I'm not sure what exactly it is you've been told about the vaccines, but the worst thing about them is a very small chance of allergic reaction which the vaccinators will be prepared for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,998 ✭✭✭cena

marno21 wrote: »
    If it were me, I'd be much more fearful of what would happen if there happened to be a Covid-19 outbreak in the nursing home and the residents weren't vaccinated.

If there was a clear safety issue with this vaccine it would not be deployed in the manner it is to be deployed in.

Almost 3 million people worldwide now have been given this vaccine remember.

There have been a few cases already in the home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

If he takes it he will likely be immune to SARS-Cov-2 and be very much less likely to die of COVID-19.

On the balance of risks, getting COVID in the nursing home is vastly, vastly, VASTLY more risky than getting a vaccine that has now been through at least 3 different regulatory approval processes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Does anyone know what it means when the nursing homes are vaccinated?? Will we be able to visit? Or will we have to wait until we are vaccinated too?? It's been the longest year for my grandparents with so little visitation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

I would guess ideally both, but they might be able to relax things a bit.

It's a bit of an unknown at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Is there a chance that these vancinations will also prevent you once vaccinated from spreading Covid or is that an unknown? If it is unknown how long until we'd have a good idea if it is preventing vaccinated people spreading the virus?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement