Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what it means when the nursing homes are vaccinated?? Will we be able to visit? Or will we have to wait until we are vaccinated too?? It's been the longest year for my grandparents with so little visitation.

We are able to visit our dad every week. Give it there is a window or screen in front of us.

Were u denied window visits?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Anyone know if the vaccine would have an affect on hospitalised cases? Eg. 30 odd were administered to hospital yesterday (give or take,) would a vaccine have a positive effect on these people?

Conscious that we don’t want our health system over run, surely vaccining the ill will shorten recovery time?

I be more worried we have a big order in for AstraZeneca(?uk) one which is not approved or affective. Only small orders for the affective ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

We are able to visit our dad every week. Give it there is a window or screen in front of us.

Were u denied window visits?

They only allow window visits. The last two we organised but when we went there they had no record of it and had no room for them downstairs for us to talk through the window. We still stayed waving up to them and talking on the phone. They get an amazing lift from seeing my children.
    My grandparents are in different wings of the home so them seeing each other over Xmas counted as an outside visit. So it has gone back to phone calls for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭obi604

Beasty wrote: »
    30,000 a week is totally inadequate. That would mean 1.5m a year, with only 750k getting their "2 jabs". At that rate it would take about 6 years to vaccinate everyone

I posted earlier we need to be ramping up to 400k jabs a week to vaccinate everyone who wants it by the middle of the year

Let me ask the q in a different way. Let’s say we had an endless supply of the vaccine.

How many jabs could be done in a week based on the amount of people out there to give the jabs?

400k a week is an awful high amount, surely we simply don’t have enough people (doctors, pharmacists, nurses etc) to actually give/administer this amount of jabs in a week. Just does not add up IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

s_carnage wrote: »
    Is there a chance that these vancinations will also prevent you once vaccinated from spreading Covid or is that an unknown? If it is unknown how long until we'd have a good idea if it is preventing vaccinated people spreading the virus?

Would not see any justification for visitor bans once they are covered. They may want on an appointment basis for a while to avoid too many visitors at once just until they get confident that homes are protected.

Gael23 wrote: »
    Would not see any justification for visitor bans once they are covered. They may want on an appointment basis for a while to avoid too many visitors at once just until they get confident that homes are protected.

They wont open up till all over 65 have thr vaccine outside the homes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

s_carnage wrote: »
    Is there a chance that these vancinations will also prevent you once vaccinated from spreading Covid or is that an unknown? If it is unknown how long until we'd have a good idea if it is preventing vaccinated people spreading the virus?

Totally unknown at the moment. Estimates I've read said it would take around 2 years to gather and verify this data but trends will start to become obvious once we get higher level of vaccine coverage in the community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Avoation1091

Henry said this morning that Nursing homes vacinnations will start 04 January. Hopefully thats the case. They should be completed mid February then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Henry said this morning that Nursing homes vacinnations will start 04 January. Hopefully thats the case. They should be completed mid February then.

Yes they already said in the last few days small selected nursing homes 4th, nationwide 11th, all to be completed 6 weeks from then. All nursing homes have been given their dates

Hospitals also to be vaccinated continuously throughout Jan & Feb

• Advertisement

I be more worried we have a big order in for AstraZeneca(?uk) one which is not approved or affective. Only small orders for the affective ones

But sure we've orders in through the EU for multiple non approved vaccine, thats the way it works when you pre order. Theres varying sized orders in with different companies.

On the not effective piece, trial data would beg to differ & I suspect the full data will be made available after MHRA decision due very soon.

Oxford & AstraZeneca is a game changer given production capacity and ease of storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

obi604 wrote: »
    Let me ask the q in a different way. Let’s say we had an endless supply of the vaccine.

How many jabs could be done in a week based on the amount of people out there to give the jabs?

400k a week is an awful high amount, surely we simply don’t have enough people (doctors, pharmacists, nurses etc) to actually give/administer this amount of jabs in a week. Just does not add up IMHO.

The flu shot was roughly a million shots in six weeks.

With a lot less effort.

400k is very doable.

Danzy wrote: »
    The flu shot was roughly a million shots in six weeks.

With a lot less effort.

400k is very doable.

Thats when you bring in GPs and pharmacists which isn't possible at the moment.

However once AstraZeneca/Oxford is approved you'd be more likely to see them get involved given the storage requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Mr Varadkar on Morning Ireland:

"I think that with the vaccine now being available, I think there would be a case of saying to the Irish people that we should keep these restrictions in place until such a time that we have protected our healthcare workers and most vulnerable."

"But that also needs to be reflected in the kind of restrictions that we put in place because they need to be sustainable for a prolonged period if they're not just for three or four weeks."

Asked if the start of the Covid-19 vaccination roll out marks the beginning of the end of the pandemic, Mr Varadkar said ”I believe it does”.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

Waiting two hours now on hold to speak to an out of hours GP....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Thats when you bring in GPs and pharmacists which isn't possible at the moment.

However once AstraZeneca/Oxford is approved you'd be more likely to see them get involved given the storage requirements

AstraZeneca/Oxford will be the game changer for mass immunisation. Expect that things will ramp up significantly at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Good morning everyone, Happy Holidays!! I wish all the best for you and your beloved ones!!
    I am currently in Greece, spending the Christmas/New Year period with my family.

Vaccinations started yesterday afternoon/evening.
    The first person was a healthcare worker/nurse - my understanding is that she works in ICU or with Covid patients, not 100% sure though.
    This morning all channels are reporting extensively on the vaccinations and the optics and PR are very good. The whole vaccination program has been cleverly called "Operation Freedom" and the narrative has changed from reporting deaths and cases all day to the effort to vaccinate people as efficiently and quick as possible. The Greek National Health system wouldn't be very organised (comparisons with the HSE are very fitting), so hopefully things will get better.
    So far we have seen, among others, the Prime Minister, CMO, Minister of Health and 2 leaders of opposition parties taking the vaccine. The President of the country is scheduled for later today

Generally, a real sense of hope that the tide has turned and it is only a matter of time before we can live without lockdowns again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Good morning everyone, Happy Holidays!! I wish all the best for you and your beloved ones!!
    I am currently in Greece, spending the Christmas/New Year period with my family.

Vaccinations started yesterday afternoon/evening.
    The first person was a healthcare worker/nurse - my understanding is that she works in ICU or with Covid patients, not 100% sure though.
    This morning all channels are reporting extensively on the vaccinations and the optics and PR are very good. The whole vaccination program has been cleverly called "Operation Freedom" and the narrative has changed from reporting deaths and cases all day to the effort to vaccinate people as efficiently and quick as possible. The Greek National Health system wouldn't be very organised (comparisons with the HSE are very fitting), so hopefully things will get better.
    So far we have seen, among others, the Prime Minister, CMO, Minister of Health and 2 leaders of opposition parties taking the vaccine. The President of the country is scheduled for later today

Generally, a real sense of hope that the tide has turned and it is only a matter of time before we can live without lockdowns again :)

Sounds positive. We had a photo call with a fridge and a cardboard box, and then an argument on the the starting date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

theballz wrote: »
    Anyone know if the vaccine would have an affect on hospitalised cases? Eg. 30 odd were administered to hospital yesterday (give or take,) would a vaccine have a positive effect on these people?

Conscious that we don’t want our health system over run, surely vaccining the ill will shorten recovery time?

That's not how vacines work. Its not injecting antibodies/ t cells etc to help deal with infection/disease. It's in very simple terms injecting a benign piece of the virus, so that it triggers the immune system. If someone is already in hospital infected the person's natural immune response has kicked off but hasn't been strong enough to deal with it, adding a vacine would be useless.

cena wrote: »
    My dads nursing home is to get the injection on the 11th of January. I'm not if he should take as he has Alzheimer's and dementia. I fear what could happen to him if he takes it.

My Dad was in a nursing home with dementia, and he died from covid in April. No side effects of the vaccine (which are minor) could cause anywhere near the level of suffering he, and we as a family, experienced from covid.

To deny consent for the vaccine to a nursing home resident is dangerous and irresponsible. So please do the right thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Sounds positive. We had a photo call with a fridge and a cardboard box, and then an argument on the the starting date.

Lol man, that just sums it up great. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

lbj666 wrote: »
    That's not how vacines work. Its not injecting antibodies/ t cells etc to help deal with infection/disease. It's in very simple terms injecting a benign piece of the virus, so that it triggers the immune system. If someone is already in hospital infected the person's natural immune response has kicked off but hasn't been strong enough to deal with it, adding a vacine would be useless.

It doesn't take away from the point you made, but just thought it would be interesting to note that that is not how a mRNA vaccine works.

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/vaccine-red-tape-over-complex-consent-process-delays-roll-out-here-39905739.html

From the article:

Mr Donnelly last night argued such criticism was “unfounded”.

He told the Irish Independent: “We took delivery on the 26th. We’ll be vaccinating on the 29th so the question I would put back is are people suggesting that we don’t follow the expert advice? Are they suggesting we don’t make sure informed consent is correct? We are clinically led. We have to get this right.”

Mr Donnelly said training of staff is taking place and the informed-consent process is being put in place.

He added a lot of work has gone into making sure that the informed consent process is “appropriate” and “legally robust”.

He is good at putting question back at people isn't he..

Think people expected they'll be ready. Yeah ready my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    It doesn't take away from the point you made, but just thought it would be interesting to note that that is not how a mRNA vaccine works.

I know it's not exactly, but trying to put in simple terms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Mr Varadkar on Morning Ireland:

"I think that with the vaccine now being available, I think there would be a case of saying to the Irish people that we should keep these restrictions in place until such a time that we have protected our healthcare workers and most vulnerable."

"But that also needs to be reflected in the kind of restrictions that we put in place because they need to be sustainable for a prolonged period if they're not just for three or four weeks."

Asked if the start of the Covid-19 vaccination roll out marks the beginning of the end of the pandemic, Mr Varadkar said ”I believe it does”.

RTE editors must be furious at the framing of that question and the positive outcome! Guaranteed that quote won't be a headline on any of their news outlets though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

xhomelezz wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/vaccine-red-tape-over-complex-consent-process-delays-roll-out-here-39905739.html

From the article:

Mr Donnelly last night argued such criticism was “unfounded”.

He told the Irish Independent: “We took delivery on the 26th. We’ll be vaccinating on the 29th so the question I would put back is are people suggesting that we don’t follow the expert advice? Are they suggesting we don’t make sure informed consent is correct? We are clinically led. We have to get this right.”

Mr Donnelly said training of staff is taking place and the informed-consent process is being put in place.

He added a lot of work has gone into making sure that the informed consent process is “appropriate” and “legally robust”.

He is good at putting question back at people isn't he..

Think people expected they'll be ready. Yeah ready my arse.

The question for him should be why wasn't all of that in place before they got the first shipment?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Issues with informed consent - unforgivable if true. They had months to sort this out. And weeks at least to train staff to administer the Pfizer vaccine as the dosing regime, temperature requirements etc. have been known for some time.

What will be the next excuse- the old reliable "IT issues", record keeping or, a favourite of the HSE, mangling the GDPR regs to try to avoid doing work/kick the can down the road/offload blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

Serious Celtic Tiger model photoshoot energy alright.

https://twitter.com/simodoho/status/1343277210782855168?s=20

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Issues with informed consent - unforgivable if true. They had months to sort this out. And weeks at least to train staff to administer the Pfizer vaccine as the dosing regime, temperature requirements etc. have been known for some time.

What will be the next excuse- the old reliable "IT issues", record keeping or, a favourite of the HSE, mangling the GDPR regs to try to avoid doing work/kick the can down the road/offload blame.

I believe there will be plenty of it. But feck me I want to be proved wrong by HSE and everything will go well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

According to the RTE news app:

“The distribution of an initial 200 million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine developed by Pfizer and BioNTech will be completed for the European Union by next September, a spokesman for the EU Commission said today.”

"Distribution of the full 200 million doses is scheduled to be completed by September 2021," the spokesman told Reuters in an emailed statement.“

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement