Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Just reading online about major issues in the UK with distribution .One centre had 75 doses left over as the elderly couldnt not make their way there . They had to give it to healthy people before it was out of date .

That is fine. Some issues are inevitable. At least they got it into arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Just reading online about major issues in the UK with distribution .One centre had 75 doses left over as the elderly couldnt not make their way there . They had to give it to healthy people before it was out of date .

Our plan for homes isn’t until 11th Jan. initial doses are in hospitals so you would imagine less risk of that for our first phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

It is the first time the HSE has ever had to store anything less than -20 degrees and it critical that it is done correctly. I have been extremely impressed in my dealings with them. All other countries have had the same challenges and I am aware of some information on how other countries have dealt with it. Put it this way I would rather be getting my vaccine in Ireland

What information?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

jackboy wrote: »
    That is fine. Some issues are inevitable. At least they got it into arms.

I agree but my point is that every country will deal with some issues along the line somewhere .Lets just be glad we are talking about a three day delay on a vaccine that is a game changer for us all

I agree but my point is that every country will deal with some issues along the line somewhere .Lets just be glad we are talking about a three day delay on a vaccine that is a game changer for us all

The delay is only good if there is a legitimate reason.

• Advertisement

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Our plan for homes isn’t until 11th Jan. initial doses are in hospitals so you would imagine less risk of that for our first phase.
    Yes I hope so ., The UK are very slow to get to care homes and seem to be delayed on that aspect now

jackboy wrote: »
    The delay is only good if there is a legitimate reason.

Yes I agree , it would be helpful to know why and be informed of that reason

It is the first time the HSE has ever had to store anything less than -20 degrees and it critical that it is done correctly. I have been extremely impressed in my dealings with them. All other countries have had the same challenges and I am aware of some information on how other countries have dealt with it. Put it this way I would rather be getting my vaccine in Ireland

I appreciate you are trying to give some insight but the storage issue is dealt with as far as I can see. It won't be going into arms at minus 70.

Say for the first 9,750 that we have today. Can they not for example set up 10 locations (acute hospitals) that will each get 975 doses (1 tray/case) and list 975 people to get it at a location over 5 days? It's good at fridge temps that long...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭mike8634

So they are injecting on the 30th and 31th, 9am - 17pm

Off 1st, 2nd, 3rd Jan

Back injecting 4th Jan, 9am - 17pm

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Hold on, you can’t make a claim like that without some kind of back up.
    Are you saying other countries are making a bollox of it?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

mike8634 wrote: »
    So they are injecting on the 30th and 31th, 9am - 17pm

Off 1st, 2nd, 3rd Jan

Back injecting 4th Jan, 9am - 17pm

lol

Are we going to vaccinate 9,750 people in the 2 days, if so what do you expect them to do for 3 days?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Are you trying to infer other countries are being careless in their approach?

Or are you saying other countries have overcome the same challenges in a more timely fashion?

And also your statement about it being the first time the HSE has had to store anything below minus 20 Celsius, I'm not sure that's true. MMR and chickenpox vaccines are supposed to be stored at minus 30 AFAIK

Are you saying the HSE have never ever stored anything below minus 20? Why then do they have the cold storage facility in City West?

Your tales are starting to sound a bit tall

"hynesie08 wrote:
    if so what do you expect them to do for 3 days?

Vaccinate

Vaccinate

With what?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

hmmm wrote: »
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/covid-vaccine-boost-for-millions-as-hospitals-near-breaking-point-vj7fpj2hr

"Astra Zeneca’s chief executive, Pascal Soriot, today reveals that new data will show the vaccine is as effective as the Pfizer and Moderna jabs that have already been approved, protecting 95% of patients, and is “100% effective” in preventing severe illness requiring hospital treatment."

More on same story here. Will be looking forward to seeing the stats themselves.
    https://news.sky.com/story/astrazeneca-boss-we-think-weve-figured-out-winning-formula-for-covid-vaccine-12173341

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Are we going to vaccinate 9,750 people in the 2 days, if so what do you expect them to do for 3 days?

We won't be doing 9,750 in two days. It's a fact that the vaccine rollout is currently scheduled to be a 9-5 Mon-Fri effort. That might change but to many people, given the emergency we are living through, it's a wholly inadequate response.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

namloc1980 wrote: »
    We won't be doing 9,750 in two days. It's a fact that the vaccine rollout is currently scheduled to be a 9-5 Mon-Fri effort. That might change but to many people, given the emergency we are living through, it's a wholly inadequate response.

If they can get through the 40,000 doses they are getting each week with Monday to Friday 9-5 does it make a difference?

If they can get through the 40,000 doses they are getting each week with Monday to Friday 9-5 does it make a difference?

We have no indication that that is the case. The AstraZenica vaccine is expected in January. 9-5 won't cut it then or we'll be at this for years and years.

No, but can they do that? That will be the real test. I am sceptical of their ability to do that but we will know soon enough.

It does

Its not a shift

Faster they do it more lives saved

• Advertisement

We know how many vaccines we have

We know exactly who's getting the first vaccines

We know how many we're getting

We have a dedicated timeline for every nursing home in the country.

All this with at least 2 more vaccines to be approved in the coming weeks.

All things considered, that's pretty much the best you can hope for.

To be honest it looks like yet another staff shortage problem. They had to divert medical staff from their actual jobs to contact tracing remember. They probably haven't figured out who to divert to vaccinations yet, and what services they can cancel.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    With what?

Your saying they are going to vaccinate 9,750 people in 2 days

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Hold on, you can’t make a claim like that without some kind of back up.
    Are you saying other countries are making a bollox of it?

I actually can , and I am out of here with no more comments from me. It was nice to give some input into this thread but I will not be held to account on my input particularly from keyboard analysts. I am done.

I actually can , and I am out of here with no more comments from me. It was nice to give some input into this thread but I will not be held to account on my input particularly from keyboard analysts. I am done.

You answered nothing

Goodbye

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

To be honest it looks like yet another staff shortage problem. They had to divert medical staff from their actual jobs to contact tracing remember. They probably haven't figured out who to divert to vaccinations yet, and what services they can cancel.

Poor planning if that's the case

Ha that's hilarious. Everyone else is making a balls of it is your claim and now you run away. I think there's a few posters here very hard at work trying to excuse the HSE.

Your saying they are going to vaccinate 9,750 people in 2 days

9,750/2/30 = 162.5

Do we have 162 people capable of administering the vaccine?

If we can't do 10000 in 2 days we're fcked when we have to administer 70k a week.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Volunteers, army, civil defence, coast guard, vets... giving an intramuscular injection isn't rocket science. You'd need one medic per site to watch for allergic reactions with a few epipens at hand, the rest can be non-medics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

noserider wrote: »
    Will all Health Care staff take the vaccine?

My wife's ears must be burning as I mention her in most of my posts on this forum. But she's my main source of first hand info as she's a pretty well regarded doctor n her hospital working directly with covid all through this.

Anyways she reckons the uptake will be quite big by health care staff based on her interactions. This would be mainly true of Connolly and the Mater. Obviously just her opinion at present though.

And as it has been discussed here. She has no idea why there is a delay until Wednesday to start. Nothing to do with training. Looking like it's a case of bad planning and having nothing in place to get things moving over a weekend and public holiday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement