Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Volunteers, army, civil defence, coast guard, vets... giving an intramuscular injection isn't rocket science. You'd need one medic per site to watch for allergic reactions with a few epipens at hand, the rest can be non-medics.

I agree, but I haven't heard of any of this happening or being arranged yet. The army is actually already stretched with the numbers that have been diverted to testing centres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭mike8634

hynesie08 wrote: »
    9,750/2/30 = 162.5

Do we have 162 people capable of administering the vaccine?

If we can't do 10000 in 2 days we're fcked when we have to administer 70k a week.....

Which is why it should be 24/7 vaccination

Tender it out, use a ****ing agency

Working 30th, 31th, 9-5

Off 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Rolling back in on the 4th is an absolute disgrace

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My wife's ears must be burning as I mention her in most of my posts on this forum. But she's my main source of first hand info as she's a pretty well regarded doctor n her hospital working directly with covid all through this.

Anyways she reckons the uptake will be quite big by health care staff based on her interactions. This would be mainly true of Connolly and the Mater. Obviously just her opinion at present though.

And as it has been discussed here. She has no idea why there is a delay until Wednesday to start. Nothing to do with training. Looking like it's a case of bad planning and having nothing in place to get things moving over a weekend and public holiday.

Thats good news that the uptake will be high

A few other posters have said the same about uptake amongst HCWs as well

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

mike8634 wrote: »

Working 30th, 31th, 9-5

Off 1st, 2nd, 3rd

So you think they're just going to vaccinate a couple of hundred people and then what? Leave the rest of the vaccines sitting in a fridge for a long weekend....

Could it be possible that we have actually planned this schedule based on the numbers we're receiving?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

So you think they're just going to vaccinate a couple of hundred people and then what? Leave the rest of the vaccines sitting in a fridge for a long weekend....

Could it be possible that we have actually planned this schedule based on the numbers we're receiving?

Well we're leaving it sit in the fridge this weekend and into the middle of next week so it isn't exactly unbelievable that we'll also do the same next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I actually can , and I am out of here with no more comments from me. It was nice to give some input into this thread but I will not be held to account on my input particularly from keyboard analysts. I am done.

So you can’t. Grand, thought as much.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Well we're leaving it sit in the fridge this weekend and into the middle of next week so it isn't exactly unbelievable that we'll also do the same next weekend.

That's the -70 fridge, as far as I'm aware once it leaves that it's only got a short shelf life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Millions more could get Covid vaccine if first doses were

‘aggressively’ rolled out, says Professor David Salisbury

"illions more people could get the Pfizer jab more quickly if the vaccination programme was dramatically speeded up by giving just one dose in a first wave, an immunisation expert said today.

Professor David Salisbury, in charge of immunisation programmes at the Department of Health until 2013, said on Wednesday by just using one dose the vaccine could be administered much more “aggressively” to combat coronavirus.

He believes it would only reduce protection from 95 per cent of people to 91 per cent."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/covid-vaccine-rollout-speed-up-david-salisbury-b454310.html%3famp

I wonder is that something we'd consider here?

One jab but to more people and still 91% effective

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Poor planning if that's the case

I'm just speculating I suppose, I just can't figure out why we're leaving vaccines sat in a freezer for 4 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭mike8634

If they cant do 9750 people in 2 days

It will sit in a fridge/freezer for the long weekend

How many people are going to be vaccinated this week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I'm just speculating I suppose, I just can't figure out why we're leaving vaccines sat in a freezer for 4 days.

Use your experience of logistics, medical experience and take in to account the time of year etc and you'll come up with many why's.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Looking at the overall picture. 5m people in Ireland. To vaccinate everyone in a year requires about 200,000 to be administered every week if everyone needs two jabs. To do it by the summer it would be 400,000 a week. That means we need capacity to administer 60,000 every day (or 80,000 if they do not work weekends).

Yes they need to start with lower figures and ramp up, but we need to have resources to cope with that scale of vaccinations. And they may need it every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Danzy wrote: »
    Use your experience of logistics, medical experience and take in to account the time of year etc and you'll come up with many why's.

Whys or more excuses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Millions more could get Covid vaccine if first doses were

‘aggressively’ rolled out, says Professor David Salisbury

"illions more people could get the Pfizer jab more quickly if the vaccination programme was dramatically speeded up by giving just one dose in a first wave, an immunisation expert said today.

Professor David Salisbury, in charge of immunisation programmes at the Department of Health until 2013, said on Wednesday by just using one dose the vaccine could be administered much more “aggressively” to combat coronavirus.

He believes it would only reduce protection from 95 per cent of people to 91 per cent."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/covid-vaccine-rollout-speed-up-david-salisbury-b454310.html%3famp

I wonder is that something we'd consider here?

One jab but to more people and still 91% effective

The British Medical journal says 52% after one dose. The New England Journal of Medicine says 91% after one dose.

For people who read medical journals in detail did either journal have a major flaw in how they arrived with one dose efficacy figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

mike8634 wrote: »

Working 30th, 31th, 9-5

Off 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Said it before and this is probably the last time I'll mention it because some people like to just complain without knowing what they're complaining about, it is NOT 9-5 in hospitals and they are NOT off 1st 2nd 3rd. Just this morning more nurses in James's for example have got their appointments for the 1st, 2nd & 3rd all at varying times of the day and believe it or not some well after 5pm and some well before 9am.

The 9-5, is the current draft plan for nursing homes as each vacination team needs a schedule and the Pfizer vaccine cannot be moved multiple times.

The technical discussion is what made this one of the best threads on this forum, it was excellently informed, now its some people shouting and roaring. Would it be possible for mods to start a separate thread so that the technical discussion on vaccines doesn't get lost in here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Hmmm that's a big difference between 52 - 91%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Hospital changeover is in mid-January. It probably wouldn't make much sense to begin hospital vaccinations until after then. Would be a logistical nightmare otherwise with doctors moving all over the country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Beasty wrote: »
    Looking at the overall picture. 5m people in Ireland. To vaccinate everyone in a year requires about 200,000 to be administered every week if everyone needs two jabs. To do it by the summer it would be 400,000 a week. That means we need capacity to administer 60,000 every day (or 80,000 if they do not work weekends).

Yes they need to start with lower figures and ramp up, but we need to have resources to cope with that scale of vaccinations. And they may need it every year.

Only need to vaccinate 3.2m as that’s 70% of the population and that’ll give us herd immunity then and plus you’d have the 100k plus people who would’ve had COVID already as well, albeit we don’t know how long immunity lasts in previously infected people

Said it before and this is probably the last time I'll mention it because some people like to just complain without knowing what they're complaining about, it is NOT 9-5 in hospitals and they are NOT off 1st 2nd 3rd. Just this morning more nurses in James's for example have got their appointments for the 1st, 2nd & 3rd all at varying times of the day and believe it or not some well after 5pm and some well before 9am.

The 9-5, is the current draft plan for nursing homes as each vacination team needs a schedule and the Pfizer vaccine cannot be moved multiple times.

Where is this in the HSE plan? I've seen plenty of hearsay about hospitals next week but none has been confirmed yet by the HSE.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The problem here Stephen is the optics and the communications

Its shambolic

• Advertisement

The technical discussion is what made this one of the best threads on this forum, it was excellently informed, now its some people shouting and roaring. Would it be possible for mods to start a separate thread so that the technical discussion on vaccines doesn't get lost in here ?

Rollout is part of the technical discussion.

It's great that you have inside info on Dublin Hospitals, and good that people have dates. I have close family (frontline medical staff) working in the two biggest hospitals in the West and Mid-West, so far they have heard nothing.

Where is this in the HSE plan? I've seen plenty of hearsay about hospitals next week but none has been confirmed yet by the HSE.

Its a living document, I'm sure they'll update it and publish it when a few changes have been made.

No worries, should I tell the family members I have working in Dublin hospitals not to bother turning up for the appointments they've been given by occupational health next week because a poster on boards says it isn't confirmed by the HSE ?

On the 30th the first doses will be administered in James's, CUH, GUH & Beaumont, 30k more doses are due into the country by Tuesday.

Rollout is part of the technical discussion.

It's great that you have inside info on Dublin Hospitals, and good that people have dates. I have close family working in the two biggest hospitals in the West and Mid-West, so far they have heard nothing.

I'm sure they'll hear this week probably. It was only in the last 48-72hrs that they heard with regards to the Dublin appointments. The week before they'd been told mid Jan, so things are moving all the time

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Hmmm that's a big difference between 52 - 91%

Yeah it is.

If the New England Medical Journal is right I would agree with the Professor. Single dose everyone.

If the British Medical Journal is right Id keep to the plan.

I haven't read the New England Medical Journal on the matter. Obviously something is wrong here. I'm only reading news sources attributing the 91% figure to the New England Medical Journal. Perhaps there was something misunderstood?

Its a living document, I'm sure they'll update it and publish it when a few changes have been made.

No worries, should I tell the family members I have working in Dublin hospitals not to bother turning up for the appointments they've been given by occupational health next week because a poster on boards says it isn't confirmed by the HSE ?

On the 30th the first doses will be administered in James's, CUH, GUH & Beaumont, 30k more doses are due into the country by Tuesday.

Wow that's pathetic. I know frontline staff in cuh that you mention who have heard zilch. You question the optics and communications here and all you get is HSE defenders with sad and silly posts. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Anita Blow wrote: »
    Hospital changeover is in mid-January. It probably wouldn't make much sense to begin hospital vaccinations until after then. Would be a logistical nightmare otherwise with doctors moving all over the country

Can't remember the last time I had a vaccine, or any other simple procedure, done by a doctor.

Stheno wrote: »
    The problem here Stephen is the optics and the communications

Its shambolic

Wont see me disagreeing there. Someone should have been tasked with updated the docs and communications online over Christmas, even an hour or two from home say today for example.

Wow that's pathetic. I know frontline staff in cuh that you mention who have heard zilch. You question the optics and communications here and all you get is HSE defenders with sad and silly posts. Pathetic.

And I provide what I know and you have a go, nice one there.

Not sure how posting factual information is sad and silly, you said its not confirmed by the HSE whereas I know it is. Factual v hearsay.

I'm not getting personal with you yet you feel the need to sling mud and label people who disagree with you,classy.

Wont see me disagreeing there. Someone should have been tasked with updated the docs and communications online over Christmas, even an hour or two from home say today for example.

Agreed. Even if Donnelly/Reid had given a little more detail yesterday instead of posing with the fridge it would make a big difference

• Advertisement

And I provide what I know and you have a go, nice one there.

Not sure how posting factual information is sad and silly, you said its not confirmed by the HSE whereas I know it is.

I'm not getting personal with you yet you feel the need to sling mud. Classy.

You said you have factual info. I know frontline workers in cuh which you claim have got appointments, who have heard nada. Not so factual I'm afraid. Do you not agree there should be be better comms and optics here or are you going to defend the HSE regardless??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement