Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

If the staff needed are on holidays, you cannot do much.

In the middle of a once in a lifetime public health crisis and we're the only country in the EU who won't start vaccinating this weekend - in fact we won't start until next Wednesday. This attitude is exactly why.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I think an exception can be made for heaven's sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭mike8634

I'd rather they wait a few days and do it properly.

Hse staff are entitled to a bit of time off too.

Its 2 ****ing boxes!

I'd deliver them to the nurses myself

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The whole lot of them.
    At the exact same time.
    Yeah right.

A piffling amount of doses and we can't even get the ball rolling on those.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I really hope that journalists don't let them away with this and demand answers. Every other country also has Christmas holidays and yet they're starting up because, knowing that vaccines have been coming for months, they've done this crazy thing called planning.

• Advertisement

So the excuses we've seen for not starting immediately have been:

1. "We're an island and it'll take longer to get here". Well it's here now and Malta and Cyprus are starting their vaccinations tomorrow.
    2. "We need time to train people". FFS we knew this day was coming and other countries have started today!
    3. "Everyone is on holidays". That's a sad indictment on our ability to get this right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Exciting stuff. I was initially angry with the 9-5 thing but good news is coming in fast the last day or two. Here's to a healthy 2021!

Pissed off again! We couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

They really love showing pics of those freezers. Proud as punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Zero excuse for not starting this 8am Monday morning. Every day counts in the effort to get life back to normal. In and of itself it doesn’t make a huge difference I suppose, however it’s the typical laidback Irish attitude which would really infuriate you when we’ve all been through so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Every second counts with this virus.
    Get them back, pay them or sack them whichever it takes, the public will back it.

• Advertisement

bush wrote: »

Other countries have photo ops of people actually getting the vaccine. We have pictures of forklifts and large freezers. We're some joke.

ixoy wrote: »
    I really hope that journalists don't let them away with this and demand answers. Every other country also has Christmas holidays and yet they're starting up because, knowing that vaccines have been coming for months, they've done this crazy thing called planning.

Journos should give them a right hammering over it, only they're probably all on their hols too and TV and Radio are on Xmas autopilot.

A good time to bury poor performance news.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Other countries have photo ops of people actually getting the vaccine. We have pictures of forklifts and large freezers. We're some joke.

Start as you mean to go on

Local TD in Longford says the nursing home residents there will get first dose in the last week of January which means middle/end of February for the 2nd dose. Oh and it'll take 8 full days to do the 800 residents.

We're going to be at this for years aren't we.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I'd rather they wait a few days and do it properly.

Hse staff are entitled to a bit of time off too.
    And herein lies the problem with Ireland.
    I am actually embarrassed when I try to explain the delay to people overseas, because there is no real viable answer on why Ireland is delaying with our vaccination rollout. Delaying = deliberately withholding the vaccine that is already in the country, where timing is crucial and an immediate rollout could save people's lives.

Sometimes our little country is a bewildering place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Journalists need to make noise about this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Heard on the news that the reason for waiting till next Wednesday is because of training?

Eh, wtf? They knew vaccines were coming, so couldn't the training have been done before the approval of vaccines and have all that done?

The delay in vaccinating is a joke. It's lives lost and more restrictions.

Apparently Slovakia started today as well. Bulgaria starting first thing in the morning with the Health Minister talking it live on TV - high level of antivax sentiment in Bulgaria apparently.

Heard on the news that the reason for waiting till next Wednesday is because of training?

Eh, wtf? They knew vaccines were coming, so couldn't the training have been done before the approval of vaccines and have all that done?

The delay in vaccinating is a joke. It's lives lost and more restrictions.

Sounds like we're the only country in the EU who forgot to provide training. It's actually embarrassing and infuriating.

Sounds like we're the only country in the EU who forgot to provide training. It's actually embarrassing and infuriating.

I'd be happy if my vet inject me, get the damn thing rolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

bush wrote: »

Grand 'till Storm Bella knocks out the power to the frdges

and no-one checked the backup generators

and no-one ordered the backup nitrogen system

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Local TD in Longford says the nursing home residents there will get first dose in the last week of January which means middle/end of February for the 2nd dose. Oh and it'll take 8 full days to do the 800 residents.

We're going to be at this for years aren't we.

The dates were published yesterday, this is nothing new.

The date for every nursing home in the country was in the Independent.

Mid feb is right on track for nursing homes & their staff they aren't exactly just doing nursing homes during Jan & Feb either

gctest50 wrote: »
    Grand 'till Storm Bella knocks out the power

and no-one checked the backup generators

and no-one ordered the backup nitrogen system

Unfortunately it's quite plausible that that could happen.

I knew they would **** it up but I didn't think they could do it before they even started

It's not as if they've never had to inject anyone before. How long does this training have to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Journalists need to make noise about this.

Ah I remember it well, when we had journalists in this country, the ones who might go and seek out whats happening rather than blindly take government releases as gospel

The dates were published yesterday, this is nothing new.

The date for every nursing home in the country was in the Independent

Yes and it's going to take an age to get done bearing in mind this is Group 1 of 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

So the other countries who received the vaccine today and are starting their vaccination programme today or tomorrow have smarter medical staff than Ireland, because they can be trained in a matter of hours?
    We truly have an incompetent and unaccountable HSE if they delay with our rollout. They are holding the country to ransom, and the government is allowing it to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yes and it's going to take an age to get done bearing in mind this is Group 1 of 15.

They aren't doing one group at a time. Not sure how many times this has to be said. Its widely available in the vacination documentation released recently which is a living document

Nursing homes take longer as they have to go to them, others will go to mass vaccination centres and in centralised locations.

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    So the other countries who received the vaccine today and are starting their vaccination programme today or tomorrow have smarter medical staff than Ireland, because they can be trained in a matter of hours?
    We truly have an incompetent and unaccountable HSE if they delay with our rollout. They are holding the country to ransom, and the government is allowing it to happen.

Where are these vaccines stored? We should all roll up tomorrow morning demanding our vaccines.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement