Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

marno21 wrote: »
    In other worlds, we’ll be getting closer to our target of having everyone vaccinated but there will be more of the younger groups herring vaccinated sooner and some of the older groups being vaccinated later. We’re still on track at a population level.

Amazes me the number of people who cannot (or will not) get their head around this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That's not how it works and you know that

Except Hungary have done that so no reason other countries like us cant.

They're even using the Sinopharm one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭VG31

Does anyone know when over 85s will be informed of their vaccination date by? I would have thought that it should be very soon if they're meant to be starting on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭VG31

Can we not approve it ourselves? This is an emergency.

Would their really be any point? There'd probably be a substantial number of people who would refuse it (which isn't being totally unreasonable tbf).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A new study on bats in East Asia amid the suggestions that it didn't emerge in China.

Here we report molecular and serological evidence of SARS-CoV-2 related coronaviruses (SC2r-CoVs) actively circulating in bats in Southeast Asia.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-21240-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Four cohorts over 70
    Monday 1st cohort 1st dose
    6 wks 4th cohort 1st dose
    10 wks 4th cohort 2nd dose
    By 12 weeks all over 70 have immunity.

Is this the likely timetable?

Not all GPs will be starting next Monday.

VG31 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when over 85s will be informed of their vaccination date by? I would have thought that it should be very soon if they're meant to be starting on Monday.
    From next week. If you know anyone in the over 80s group I'd suggest giving the GP a call.

Water John wrote: »
    Four cohorts over 70
    Monday 1st cohort 1st dose
    6 wks 4th cohort 1st dose
    10 wks 4th cohort 2nd dose
    By 12 weeks all over 70 have immunity.

Is this the likely timetable?
    By numbers and our level of supplies it sounds about right but April is supposed to see higher supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

VG31 wrote: »

Soon, mentioned at HSE press conference by a GP that plans were being finalised yesterday evening, GPs to double check their lists for ordering vaccine.

They'll do the check, place their order and be able to schedule in the appointments.

80 odd GP practices being used to bed in the process next week

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

is_that_so wrote: »
    From next week. If you know anyone in the over 80s group I'd suggest giving the GP a call.

Afaik, the majority of GPs haven't got that information yet. Only those who will be part of what's kind of a trial run next week have concrete information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The GPs have asked that people don’t phone them . The GP at the briefing had just explained that they will get a precise list of all their over 70 who are registered with a free GP card .

It will be broken down into precise lists of age groups and numbers given in each age group

If a patient has a GMC or GP visit card thry will be on that list sent to each GP from the Medical card services
    If by any chance over 70 are not registered with the GMC services they should then enquire with the local GP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Reddit discussions are annoying me, filling me with despair.

"No easing of restrictions until x date"

"If the young don't get vaccinated, it'll mutate into other, perhaps more dangerous variants"

etc. blah blah. Doesn't help that the most pessimistic outlook is the most upvoted.

Micky32, help - how did you get out of this funk a while back? Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

funnydoggy wrote: »

"If the young don't get vaccinated, it'll mutate into other, perhaps more dangerous variants"

etc. blah blah. Doesn't help that the most pessimistic outlook is the most upvoted.

Look at this ****

https://twitter.com/astaines/status/1359781268020490241?s=19

If this is true, I might be looking at getting a 6 month short term rental somewhere that's not Ireland.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The GPs have asked that people don’t phone them . The GP at the briefing had just explained that they will get a precise list of all their over 70 who are registered with a free GP card .
    If a patient has a GMC or GP visit card thry will be on that list sent to each GP from the Medical card services
    If by any chance over 70 are not registered with the GMC services they should then enquire with the local GP
    Fair enough, so how exactly do they enquire without calling? TBH they really need to get the general information about this out there ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I'd stay as far away from lockdown discussions as possible. People are pissed off and indignant at the moment, and rightfully so. But what that does is bring out the outrage. They're going to post to vent and invariably, everything will look negative. It's the same thing as reviewing online. The average Joe internet is only going to bother reviewing something when they're giving out about it. So it's a biased representation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Stark wrote: »
    Look at this ****

If this is true, I might be looking at getting a 6 month short term rental somewhere that's not Ireland.

Vaccines will "control" the virus before everyone is vaccinated though. I'm not sure if it's Staines or Martin that's being purposely vague there, but we won't have Level 5 from now until September.

Stark wrote: »
    Look at this ****

No wonder this is how mis information spreads, there's been nothing said of level 5 until September even in that interview this morning. Staines should know better but I'm not surprised as he's pushing zero covid, anything to manipulate to his viewpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Amirani wrote: »
    Vaccines will "control" the virus before everyone is vaccinated though. I'm not sure if it's Staines or Martin that's being purposely vague there, but we won't have Level 5 from now until September.

Nowhere in that does he mention level 5 till September though.

Fair enough, so how exactly do they enquire without calling? TBH they really need to get the general information about this out there ASAP.

If an over 70 has a GMC or GP visit card he or she is automatically registered with a GP . The list of those patients will be send to each GP . The vast majority will know they are registered with a GP visit card with a specific GP . They can be assured that they are on the list send to the specific GP

She explained at the briefing that she would get the lists , then will be asked if she has anyone who is not on that list due to not applying at the time for a card

She will then phone those on the list as she gets the statement of how many doses she gets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

I'd be fairly optimistic by nature and even I had a wobble on Tuesday after the Leo/McConkey interviews. For a start, stop listening to all the negative stuff that's being spouted, as it'll only wreck your head. Try and seek out the more positive items. This twitter feed is pretty good - https://twitter.com/Coronavirusgoo1. There are also some posters on here that will always put a positive spin on things, which helps.

This won't go on forever. I still maintain we'll be in a much better place come summer, with a return to some normality in Autumn once we have enough folk vaccinated. If not....well we'll just deal with that then!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Le Bruise wrote: »
    I'd be fairly optimistic by nature and even I had a wobble on Tuesday after the Leo/McConkey interviews. For a start, stop listening to all the negative stuff that's being spouted, as it'll only wreck your head. Try and seek out the more positive items. This twitter feed is pretty good - https://twitter.com/Coronavirusgoo1. There are also some posters on here that will always put a positive spin on things, which helps.

This won't go on forever. I still maintain we'll be in a much better place come summer, with a return to some normality in Autumn once we have enough folk vaccinated. If not....well we'll just deal with that then!:)

Thanks buddy. I'm normally putting a positive spin on things and I totally agree with and echo your estimations, but some comment probably just caught me off guard earlier and then I thought, "ah jaysus".

Appreciate it. Better days are coming :)

Sanjuro wrote: »
    I'd stay as far away from lockdown discussions as possible. People are pissed off and indignant at the moment, and rightfully so. But what that does is bring out the outrage. They're going to post to vent and invariably, everything will look negative. It's the same thing as reviewing online. The average Joe internet is only going to bother reviewing something when they're giving out about it. So it's a biased representation.

Thank you! I'm not sure why I let it get to me earlier, I'm normally not like that at all and I stay away from lockdown chat. Just off guard I suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭rameire

Yevon wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1359862443414011907?s=19

So 30 thousand or so have been recieved and not used yet. Presumably being held to be distributed next week.

Almost 90% of what was delivered has been used. Good work.

you could probably cut that 30k in half for what is not used as that fig is for the 7th.
    and roughly 3k a day for 8th. 9th. 10th. 11th. and tomorrow 12th.
    so only 15k vaccines being held back as a reserve.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Deathofcool

A pretty comprehensive vaccine dashboard here from Belgium. Would be nice to have something similar for Ireland.

https://covid-vaccinatie.be/en

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Thank you! I'm not sure why I let it get to me earlier, I'm normally not like that at all and I stay away from lockdown chat. Just off guard I suppose :)

Here, I know exactly what you're going through. I think it was constant doomscrolling last summer which lead me to my first ever panic attack. After that I changed how I approached online discourse, and knock on wood, no panic attacks since. Still have my wobbles. But like the case numbers each day, a day might be bad, but the overall trend is much better!

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    If an over 70 has a GMC or GP visit card he or she is automatically registered with a GP . The list of those patients will be send to each GP . The vast majority will know they are registered with a GP visit card with a specific GP . They can be assured that they are on the list send to the specific GP

She explained at the briefing that she would get the lists , then will be asked if she has anyone who is not on that list due to not applying at the time for a card

She will then phone those on the list as she gets the statement of how many doses she gets
    As I said it needs to get out to the general public in a comprehensible format ASAP. A briefing is not that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Having had to rejig the roll out with Moderna not being used on the elderly this creates a new schedule. Its now set out. Once the start is completed by the end of next week I would hope for a clear public timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

A pretty comprehensive vaccine dashboard here from Belgium. Would be nice to have something similar for Ireland.

https://covid-vaccinatie.be/en

I note they've gotten 46,000 doses of Moderna. What gives, we have only delivered 1800?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Sky King wrote: »
    I note they've gotten 46,000 doses of Moderna. What gives, we have only delivered 1800?

It seems to say they got a delivery of 29000 on 7th February. Maybe more arrived for us this week too, but hasn't been reported yet?

As I said it needs to get out to the general public in a comprehensible format ASAP. A briefing is not that.

Agreed . It definitely needs clarity

• Advertisement

One other thing mentioned during the HSE press conference, that separate from the clinics being set up for GPs that are coming together, there will be roughly 40 vaccination centers for the general rollout into the community, plans being finalised & to go to the minister.

Donnelly did mention in the Dail today that he would have more information next week on the bringing forward of groups once HCW were completed.

Parallel rollout looks like it'll kick off very soon I think working down through the priority groupings while GPs are taking care of the over 70 rollout.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement