Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

latency89 wrote: »
    Your thinking of the university fied trial in South Africa with that 1500 30-year olds, it was 2000 btw
    Yes, although my understanding is that it was following the presentation of the 1500 person trial results that South Africa decided it was going to pause/stop administering AZ.

I don't know - the data on cases doesn't square with the decision, I wonder if there's some local politics at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Selling it apparently

https://businesstech.co.za/news/government/467045/south-africa-considers-selling-unused-astrazeneca-vaccines-to-other-countries/amp/

Starting to vaccinate with J&J next week, not even approved yet for use

They don't need all the data on that one, weird.

They're considering it and, as in the article states, will follow the advice of their experts. If they decide not to use it, then they'll sell it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭latency89

Started risen in November in South Africa, surged December, peaked early January. Would that not be summer?

Your correct, im suprised by that, it really took off with those variants?

Lockdown quenched it I see

Why are we saying we can come out of lockdown in June if its not seasonal and we will only have a small percentage vaccinated, yes vulnerable but a small percentage

Hmmzis wrote: »
    They're considering it and, as in the article states, will follow the advice of their experts. If they decide not to use it, then they'll sell it.

Its pretty damning all the same, to have such doubts about it

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Why are we saying we can come out of lockdown in June if its not seasonal and we will only have a small percentage vaccinated, yes vulnerable but a small percentage
    I don't think anyone is saying we come out in June? We just reduce back from the current restrictions, much as we successfully did last summer.

Hospitalisations are what matters ultimately, not so much cases. Vaccinate the vulnerable and you'll greatly reduce the serious cases that lead to hospitalisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

AZ vaccine trial we are talking about here hmmm

It took place in South Africa, UK,Brazil, India, Japan with 30,000+ people

One EMA approved based on its data, which wasn't good enough for South Afica according to one poster

Your thinking of the university fied trial in South Africa with that 1500 30-year olds, it was 2000 btw

South Africa reconsidered rollout based on the 2,000 person study not on the inital trial which would have been provided to the EMA.

As multiple posters have pointed out there's many issues with that latest study.

No doomsday intended. This is science. Leave your positive / negative biases at the door science. It's about understanding and it's hard.

This is a fact. In the novovax trial 26 / 674 who were seropositive for a previous infection also ended up getting reinfected.

versus

58 who tested positive out of 1494 who were seronegative.

That's gives a point estimate attack rate of 3.9% in both groups but more importantly a confidence interval of [3.0-5.0] vs [2.5-5.6]

i.e nothing separating them. They are not insignificant sample sizes.

Please discus. It's kinda important.

edit: Saw reply above thanks Hmmzis.

Head well and truly wrecked on this one. Going to bed soon. Not doom mongering just want to understand.

Not sure about the trial based attack rates. If reinfection were that common, we'd see that in population based studies and HCWs and also in vaccine trials (they simply would not meet their primary endpoints). For trial participants tere are AB tests done on the day of the first jab, if that is not blinded to the participant then the most likely confounder is human behaviour. The other factor here is that history of PCR+ was an exclusion factor in all trials, so you could have ended up with mostly asymtpomatic and mild cases with low baseline nAB titers, below IC50 of 1:20 (very dependent on assay) protection against infection is low to none but even there the symptoms tend to be milder or none and viral shedding is of shorter duration (NHP studies and that military recruits study showed very similar results).

Infection =/= disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

South Africa reconsidered rollout based on the 2,000 person study not on the inital trial which would have been provided to the EMA.

As multiple posters have pointed out there's many issues with that latest study.

This poster does not engage in facts, hear'say are the main talking points.

As multiple posters have pointed out there's many issues with that study.

So they were wrong to stop using AZ then?

Is that your opinion?

Did those posters let South African scientific advisors know those issues?

It was done by a top university as well, no fools

Trying not to laugh here, but come on guys, what qualifications do ye have to find thoe issues?

I did Biolgy for 3 years, dont use it much now as did supply chain after and work at that, but i'm in no way qualified to pick out issues in trials and im probably more qualified than most here, rge dead end defensive posting here is mad

astrofool wrote: »
    This poster does not engage in facts, hear'say are the main talking points.

Go read a book on true or false answers

You might figure it out eventually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Your correct, im suprised by that, it really took off with those variants?

Lockdown quenched it I see

April/May/June will see a large % in Ireland vaccinated, by September, anyone who wants to be vaccinated can be vaccinated.

This is partly dependent on approvals for J&J and possibly Novavax, however, both Pfizer and astrazeneca will have significantly ramped up by then. Early summer is at risk, depending on case numbers in hospital (and waiting for the 12 week Az interval for a lot of people), but late summer should be looking a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Not sure about the trial based attack rates. If reinfection were that common, we'd see that in population based studies and HCWs and also in vaccine trials (they simply would not meet their primary endpoints). For trial participants tere are AB tests done on the day of the first jab, if that is not blinded to the participant then the most likely confounder is human behaviour. The other factor here is that history of PCR+ was an exclusion factor in all trials, so you could have ended up with mostly asymtpomatic and mild cases with low baseline nAB titers, below IC50 of 1:20 (very dependent on assay) protection against infection is low to none but even there the symptoms tend to be milder or none and viral shedding is of shorter duration (NHP studies and that military recruits study showed very similar results).

Infection =/= disease.

Thank you very much for the explanation very informative. Lots of variables and sources of error. The main outcome of that small South African study shows that post October 31st that it didn't meet it's end point. If reinfection were a thing as you state the major vaccine trials wouldn't meet their endpoint.

While acknowledging the limited data in the S.A AZ study is it possible that they didn't meet the endpoint due to the inefficacy of the vaccine against the variant?

What probability would you assign to that being the case given all of the circumstantial evidence of immune escape.

I suppose I'm asking because the pre Oct 31st A B test curve looks very different
    to the post OCT curve. Could of course be random but what would the likelihood given everything we know.

Interested in any thoughts obviously more data will be forth coming in weeks and months but would be great to get a steer on it now. Thanks

Its pretty damning all the same, to have such doubts about it

They'll wait on their experts to advise one way or another. If they advise to sell it, they have a queue for those doses already.

Thank you very much for the explanation very informative. Lots of variables and sources of error. The main outcome of that small South African study shows that post October 31st that it didn't meet it's end point. If reinfection were a thing as you state the major vaccine trials wouldn't meet their endpoint.

While acknowledging the limited data in the S.A AZ study is it possible that they didn't meet the endpoint due to the inefficacy of the vaccine against the variant?

What probability would you assign to that being the case given all of the circumstantial evidence of immune escape.

I suppose I'm asking because the pre Oct 31st A B test curve looks very different
    to the post OCT curve. Could of course be random but what would the likelihood given everything we know.

Interested in any thoughts obviously more data will be forth coming in weeks and months but would be great to get a steer on it now. Thanks

The primary efficacy (any symptomatic infection) is very likely reduced, the upper CI bound (60%) is just above the point estimate (54%) of that dosing regimen in the other trials, again with rather large CIs. It could be down to chance, but not likely to be that way. Since that study did not look at anything else, it's not possible to make any other conclusions with any sort of confidence at all. I would have liked to see a more detailed anslysis of the cases and severities of those infections, but in a bunch of young adults there might not even be much of that to look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

The primary efficacy (any symptomatic infection) is very likely reduced, the upper CI bound (60%) is just above the point estimate (54%) of that dosing regimen in the other trials, again with rather large CIs. It could be down to chance, but not likely to be that way. Since that study did not look at anything else, it's not possible to make any other conclusions with any sort of confidence at all. I would have liked to see a more detailed anslysis of the cases and severities of those infections, but in a bunch of young adults there might not even be much of that to look at.

Thanks again. I understand it's a preprint but I've only found the youtube video where the main author discusses the preliminary findings.

Same for novovax. The results were in a press release with lots of primary data missing. Hopefully more detailed info coming out will make it clearer. Thanks.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,601 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I don't know how the mods let them get away with it tbh

I had the pleasure of isthatso in the frozen covid origin thread, good grief lad, he wouldn't know a science book if it hit him in the head and he's going around to each thread citing studies, writing off treatments as no medical basis and backing up his educated friends here, it's a funny forum this.

I like the covid thread on merdic, you need an actual field qualification before you can post and I can tell you alot of them are fearful of these variant's, they respect mother nature and know what it can do.

In here, its ridiculous how confident they are, "it is not so much that I have confidence in scientists being right, but that I have so much in nonscientists being wrong"
    Go read a book on true or false answers

You might figure it out eventually
    Threadbanned

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1359946547887243265?s=19

For anybody interested an excellent thread on T-Cell immunity and it's effect on variants. Btw this guy is a Molecular Biologist who works for Moderna so if you want to know more about vaccines (all of them not just Moderna) then do follow him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Apogee

Big week next week.

Long term care settings
    - 42,500 vaccinations.
    Dose 1- 1,900
    Dose 2 -40,600

FHCW
    25,000 vaccinations
    Dose 1 (AstraZenca) - 22,000,
    Dose 2- 3,000 (Pfizer)

Over 70s
    12,000 vaccinations

79,500 vaccinations next week planned

To add to this, Donnelly mentioned 20,000* doses going to GPs next week - 8,000 Moderna and 12,000 Pfizer.

Increasing to 50,000 the following week.

*Not sure why the discrepancy between 12,000 and 20,000 - perhaps a difference in delivery vs. administration of doses?

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1359889475141271552

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Cork2021

What does this looper want as an end game?
    Soup kitchens??

https://twitter.com/astaines/status/1359990830543552515?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Cork2021

This constant flow of doom about variants by so called experts is pathetic!
    They want total eradication! It’s endemic. They’ll be shouting from the rooftops if there’s an outbreak of the shîts next winter! ZERO SHÎTS!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

Ok sure but that's not as much as our neighbour.
    Why Ireland needs to compare itself with the UK?

Is not a fair comparison even if we do it per capita. UK is a huge country with massive resource, financial, administrative, infrastructure possibilities etc. Also, UK ruled a Global Empire just 100 years.

Good comparator for Ireland is Finland, Denmark, and maybe Belgium or Austria.

Note: your graph doesn't show fully vaccinated. With 2 doses. Ireland is double the UK figure per capita in fully vaccinated. And with a more efficacious vaccine (more to come Moderna, AZ, J&J, Novavax, Curevac in that order).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭Azatadine

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Soup kitchens??

Him and others want zero covid and nothing else.

Loving the limelight, shout loud enough and see who listens to you.

The new strains not covered line is odd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Vaccine working well in Israel.
    An Israeli healthcare provider that has vaccinated half a million people with both doses of the Pfizer vaccine says that only 544 people — or 0.104% — have been diagnosed with the coronavirus.

That means the effectiveness rate stands at 93 percent, Maccabi Healthcare Services announced on Thursday, after comparing its immunized members to a “diverse” control group of unvaccinated members.
    https://www.timesofisrael.com/hmo-sees-only-544-covid-infections-among-523000-fully-vaccinated-israelis/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Dangerous words by him and probably best consigned to the conspiracy threads.

93% is very impressive in a real world deployment, just 2pc points off the trial point estimate (and the UK variant running rampant there).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I'm embarrassed to work in the same institution as Anthony Staines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Soup kitchens??

I feel like replying on his twitter with something but i don’t want to end up like Trump did on twitter, banned!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

The people that likes his tweets I find more odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Apogee

From tomorrow's Times (UK).
    543151.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement