Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The us bought 200m vs the 80m for europe of moderna,

Howver yet again we are getting pittance vs the us,

This is s scandal by the EMA and the EC.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/contracts-purchasing-agreements.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eoinbn

gally74 wrote: »
    The us bought 200m vs the 80m for europe of moderna,

Howver yet again we are getting pittance vs the us,

This is s scandal by the EMA and the EC.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/contracts-purchasing-agreements.html

It has zero to do with the EMA.
    Moderna are a US company that were funded by the US and are serving the US first. I believe nearly all the doses they have created have gone to the US market and have supplied more than Pfizer. The UK aren't due to get any from them until March.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Stheno wrote: »
    Depends on age AZ is twelve weeks for the u 65

4 weeks for Pfizrtand Moderna

The 12 weeks between doses for AZ means that even if we had supply of it and it was recommended for over 65, the better strategy is probably Pfizer in terms of getting as many vaccinated in the shortest period of time. Hopefully we will not have the syringe issues like elsewhere.

If AZ supplies come in, who will get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,210 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The 12 weeks between doses for AZ means that even if we had supply of it and it was recommended for over 65, the better strategy is probably Pfizer in terms of getting as many vaccinated in the shortest period of time. Hopefully we will not have the syringe issues like elsewhere.

If AZ supplies come in, who will get it?

They're already coming in and going to healthcare workers at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

They're already coming in and going to healthcare workers at the moment

But who after them. It is a trickle now but supply will increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

But who after them. It is a trickle now but supply will increase.

As far as I understand the next group which is 65-70 will get AZ . That group could run parallel to the 70-85 who are getting Pfizer. So in theory a 69 year old could be vaccinated before a 70 year old
    But it is what it is unless they take the WHO recommendations on board now

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Highly caveated study that didn't adhere to the dosing schedule to start with.

Remember the Danish mink scare-mongering. We were all doomed, until we weren't, once cool heads and some proper research prevailed.

I am starting to think that once the schools go back, the quality of posting on here will improve again.

Golfman64 wrote: »
    Remember the Danish mink scare-mongering. We were all doomed, until we weren't, once cool heads and some proper research prevailed.

I am starting to think that once the schools go back, the quality of posting on here will improve again.

Indeed cool heads and proper research.

Some people will jump on anything and try to present it as fact. As for the SA study, it doesn't seem to matter to some people that basic principles such as dosing schedule weren't adhered to. I mean if something as basic as that is done wrong then what's the point in jumping to conclusions.

I partially blame the level of journalism to be fair, its constantly who can be first to break a story, never mind fact checking just get it out there as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

Remember the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak? We were all doomed, until we weren't, once cool heads and some proper research prevailed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Polar101

Indeed cool heads and proper research.

Yeah. While the reports of the variants sound worrying, it's nothing unexpected. 10 months ago I didn't think we'd be vaccinating people before the end of the year, but that happened. I'm not a virologist, so I won't be able to do anything about the variants, so why would I worry about them? The actual experts will be able to do whatever updates are required to the vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Yeah I was only messing with South Africa. I called them up and said it won't work so they stop the AZ roll out. :eek:

WTF are people on. A country trying to get out of this realises the vaccine is not effective at all against the variant in a clinical trial and the logical conclusion is random internet poster who I don't like is making it up.

Grow up will ye.

Sanjuro wrote: »

I think they had been potentially lined up to manufacture Sputnik, good to see the capacity being used.

Any indication of how long it'll take to come on stream ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭VG31

I think they had been potentially lined up to manufacture Sputnik, good to see the capacity being used.

Any indication of how long it'll take to come on stream ?

Late next year according to the Guardian. Not much use really.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/feb/10/astrazeneca-to-build-new-covid-19-vaccine-facility-in-germany

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Remember the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak? We were all doomed, until we weren't, once cool heads and some proper research prevailed.

For the majority it is a mild virus and unfortunately for some, it's lethal. This is far better than was initially expected. Secondly, within a year, we have in this country, 3 effective vaccines already proven to prevent and/or reduce infection and the severity of the disease for all known strains. I would certainly agree that we are not all doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Has anybody heard of over 85s being contacted regarding g getting the vaccine next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Sconsey

For the majority it is a mild virus and unfortunately for some, it's lethal. This is far better than was initially expected. Secondly, within a year, we have in this country, 3 effective vaccines already proven to prevent and/or reduce infection and the severity of the disease for all known strains. I would certainly agree that we are not all doomed.

What was the initial fatallity rate expected to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Yeah I was only messing with South Africa. I called them up and said it won't work so they stop the AZ roll out. :eek:

WTF are people on. A country trying to get out of this realises the vaccine is not effective at all against the variant in a clinical trial and the logical conclusion is random internet poster who I don't like is making it up.

Grow up will ye.
    You continuously refer to a study which wouldn't pass junior cert science, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Gael23 wrote: »
    Has anybody heard of over 85s being contacted regarding g getting the vaccine next week?

Only the 84 largest GP practices are getting doses for next week, and only finding out in the last day or so when to expect delivery. They need to ensure the process is working first before sending out tens of thousands of doses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

You continuously refer to a study which wouldn't pass junior cert science, well done.

The hilarious bit is that said poster was claiming 10% efficacy of the vaccine vs the SA variant as fact. But when it was pointed out that it still prevents serious illlness and death he jumped on the keyboard with this little beauty “ There’s no clinical evidence of this yet” :pac: talk about contradicting oneself!

I think the vaccines are a thorn in the side for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Grow up will ye.

It's not as effective against mild to moderate cases of that particular strain. The objective is to eliminate the possibility of hospitalisation and death, which it does do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Suppose it's better late than never. Remember being told here they had a deal signed in early January :-/

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN2AB10H

Novaxax is very effective against the UK variant and it's UK trial included a significant amount of older people (27% of over 65's) so shouldn't be any worries on this front.

South African results seem a bit worrying, of the vaccinated group but it's still at least partially effective. Has anybody found the more in depth data from the study? 15 people from the trial group caught Covid but it doesn't mention hospitalisation etc. 60% or higher effectiveness isn't bad anyway for a new strain.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00268-9

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I can't believe this back and forth is still going on haha one of the great rivalries of our time.

Suppose it's better late than never. Remember being told here they had a deal signed in early January :-/

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN2AB10H

Novaxax is very effective against the UK variant and it's UK trial included a significant amount of older people (27% of over 65's) so shouldn't be any worries on this front.

South African results seem a bit worrying, of the vaccinated group but it's still at least partially effective. Has anybody found the more in depth data from the study? 15 people from the trial group caught Covid but it doesn't mention hospitalisation etc. 60% or higher effectiveness isn't bad anyway for a new strain.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00268-9
    The Novavax SA trial is another that is basically meaningless, tiny sample size and massive confidence intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

The Novavax SA trial is another that is basically meaningless, tiny sample size and massive confidence intervals.

Yeah unfortunately it was too small, 4.400 participants. I would say though before it's sh-t on too much, at least it was a real world trial in a situation where the, SA strain 501Y.V2 ,was dominant. It shows a significant reduction in the real world, it's not a serum study like the recent Pfizer one where the real world impact isn't known.

As far as I understand it, and it's a big ray of hope none of the information about the various vaccine effectiveness and the SA variant has really considered T cell response. E.g people will get mild to moderate symptoms but T cells might prevent severe infection.

Yeah unfortunately it was too small, 4.400 participants. I would say though before it's sh-t on too much, at least it was a real world trial in a situation where the, SA strain 501Y.V2 ,was dominant. It shows a significant reduction in the real world, it's not a serum study like the recent Pfizer one where the real world impact isn't known.

As far as I understand it, and it's a big ray of hope none of the information about the various vaccine effectiveness and the SA variant has really considered T cell response. E.g people will get mild to moderate symptoms but T cells might prevent severe infection.
    TBH i'll take any vaccine that results in me not drowning in my own lung fluid in an ICU bed. A cough is manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

irishlad. wrote: »

Matches the Covid App figures. Seems they are keeping the app up to date too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

The daily figures have been a bit slow but its here now and I'm glad to see it.

Hopefully there will be big jumps in the next few weeks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement