Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

irishlad. wrote: »
    The daily figures have been a bit slow but its here now and I'm glad to see it.

Hopefully there will be big jumps in the next few weeks
    Cheers for the spreadsheet, very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Suppose it's better late than never. Remember being told here they had a deal signed in early January :-/

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN2AB10H

Novaxax is very effective against the UK variant and it's UK trial included a significant amount of older people (27% of over 65's) so shouldn't be any worries on this front.

South African results seem a bit worrying, of the vaccinated group but it's still at least partially effective. Has anybody found the more in depth data from the study? 15 people from the trial group caught Covid but it doesn't mention hospitalisation etc. 60% or higher effectiveness isn't bad anyway for a new strain.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00268-9

Britain got the contract for 60 million doses of Novavax wrapped up in August. There's going to be even more envy if the Brits are flying through jabbing people with that come April and the J&J roll out is more of a trickle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Britain got the contract for 60 million doses of Novavax wrapped up in August. There's going to be even more envy if the Brits are flying through jabbing people with that come April and the J&J roll out is more of a trickle.

With a bit of luck we might get in on that action!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

TBH i'll take any vaccine that results in me not drowning in my own lung fluid in an ICU bed. A cough is manageable.

Very true, I hate the reporting focussing on the limited effectiveness against any symptoms but ignoring reductions in hospilisation.
    That being said the south African strain is genuinely worrying me in a way the UK variant isn't.

I think in relation to those that are immune compromised and possible effects, haven't all the vaccines shown reduced response either in the lab or in field trials too 501Y.V2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I see that MM has said that if he gets invited to the Whitehouse for Paddy’s day he will go. He added he would have to be vaccinated if he were to go, interesting……

Is he signalling that if we are all vaccinated it’s ok to travel again?! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I see that MM has said that if he gets invited to the Whitehouse for Paddy’s day he will go. He added he would have to be vaccinated if he were to go, interesting……

He should get vaccinated and he should go if invited. Much bigger countries than Ireland would give their eye teeth for such a high profile annual visit to the POTUS.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

He should get vaccinated and he should go if invited. Much bigger countries than Ireland would give their eye teeth for such a high profile annual visit to the POTUS.
    Indeed. Sure maybe he'll get to tie in some good will:
    "How's it going in Ireland?"
    "Oh middling. The vaccine roll out is slow. We've been hearing a reported story that some of the J & J vaccines will need to go to the US for the "final fill" and that we won't see them. That's going to really impact us."
    "Oh? Let me look into that for you."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Is that less than 3000 vaccinated on Monday? Sunday they only vaccinated about 3000 as well. So very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Micky 32 wrote: »

Is he signalling that if we are all vaccinated it’s ok to travel again?! :pac:

The Taoiseach should absolutely go. It's the one day of the year that Ireland is in the spotlight all over the world. A fantastic opportunity to curry favour with the world's most powerful man and American business leaders.

Never know, play his cards right and Uncle Joe might even throw the old country a vaccine or two...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

It's not about the individual risk though. It's going to corrode the hell out of the public messaging if he does go. So many people have individual reasons to travel that will feel like they can justify it to themselves more than MM going on the junket.

• Advertisement

It's not about the individual risk though. It's going to corrode the hell out of the public messaging if he does go. So many people have individual reasons to travel that will feel like they can justify it to themselves more than MM going on the junket.

If people think that trip is a 'junket' for Micheál Martin, then the conversation ends. If people think that they should be able to go on holiday because, as Taoiseach of Ireland, he takes up an extremely valuable annual invitation from the POTUS, then the conversation ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Godot. wrote: »
    The Taoiseach should absolutely go. It's the one day of the year that Ireland is in the spotlight all over the world. A fantastic opportunity to curry favour with the world's most powerful man and American business leaders.

Never know, play his cards right and Uncle Joe might even throw the old country a vaccine or two...

Not happening.

He signed an executive order banning the export of vaccines.

If Donald Trump was still US president, this outcome might have been more predictable — even palatable. But his successor Joe Biden, of whom the EU had such high expectations, is not lifting a finger to help either. He has signed an executive order upholding the ban on exporting vaccines decreed by Trump, and announced that 100 million Americans will be inoculated within his first 100 days in office. Business as usual: "America First."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I know where you’re coming from. At the moment i’m in a situation where i’m wondering will i ever see my family in the USA again ( unless i take drastic action and emmigrate which could be a possibility) and we have MM “ ah sure i’lll get me vaccination and pop over and see Joe”.

I understand it’s probably an important visit but one can’t help feeling envious :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭titan18

If people think that trip is a 'junket' for Micheál Martin, then the conversation ends. If people think that they should be able to go on holiday because, as Taoiseach of Ireland, he takes up an extremely valuable annual invitation from the POTUS, then the conversation ends.

And what about the people who used to travel for work who aren't anymore and are relying on zoom/webexs etc.

Do you not think, given the situation, the two leaders could set an example and hold a virtual meeting? With a lot of publicity attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Is that less than 3000 vaccinated on Monday? Sunday they only vaccinated about 3000 as well. So very slow.

I'd assume they are building enough of a stockpile between this week and next weeks deliveries for the GP rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Is this new? I may have missed mention in this thread. GSK & Curevac to collaborate long-term, and GSK will "support" the manufacture of 100 million doses of the Curevac mRNA vaccine in 2021:

https://www.gsk.com/en-gb/media/press-releases/gsk-and-curevac-to-develop-next-generation-mrna-covid-19-vaccines/

"Companies aim to develop a multi-valent candidate vaccine to address emerging variants for pandemic and endemic use"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Do you not think, given the situation, the two leaders could set an example and hold a virtual meeting? With a lot of publicity attached.

No.

Yes they could, of course. But, so far, it seems that Biden will suggest an in person meeting. That should be taken up without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

So much potential for relationship building and deal making is lost by virtual meetings rather than face to face.
    This is one of those occasions where a face to face meeting is too important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

I'm no fan of this government, but MM should unquestionably go to DC. Joe Biden seems to adore Ireland and our culture, if we have any chance of getting some excess vaccine supply (which a Pfizer director said on CNBC that they will have lots of by end of March), we should absolutely exhaust all avenues to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭conor_mc

BigMo1 wrote: »
    I'm no fan of this government, but MM should unquestionably go to DC. Joe Biden seems to adore Ireland and our culture, if we have any chance of getting some excess vaccine supply (which a Pfizer director said on CNBC that they will have lots of by end of March), we should absolutely exhaust all avenues to get it.

Not just about vaccines - border/Brexit/article 16 kerfuffles have all had detrimental effects in the context of this pandemic. Getting face-time with POTUS and congressional leaders before Boris does will set the tone for following steps wrt NI, travel, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

BigMo1 wrote: »

I've thought about this before rushing to judgment. I think you are right. If ever there was a time to go make connections it was now.

Last year was different. It was a jolly compared to this year.

We need supplies. Jab and Go or take one for the Team.

Donnelly live on RTE news now in the dail about the vaccine rollout

Donnelly calling them mNRA vaccines ffs

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Donnelly live on RTE news now in the dail about the vaccine rollout

He really is such a condescending wanker.
    Hes one of those people that you meet in life that you just want to punch.

He reminds me of some managers that Ive dealt with that dont actually have a breeze what theyre up to yet can talk enough bull**** that they actually can convince anyone that they do know.

Vaccine priority groups 4 and onwards will be vaccinated earlier than expected. Update on exact timeline next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Hellrazer wrote: »
    He reminds me of some managers that Ive dealt with that dont actually have a breeze what theyre up to yet can talk enough bull**** that they actually can convince anyone that they do know.

You're talking about my boss? Do you know him? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Vaccine priority groups 4 and onwards will be vaccinated earlier than expected. Update on exact timeline next week.

I am in 5 and my husband in 3 , in theory I could get it before him .,But it is what is is and we will manage that too

• Advertisement

All over 70s to be fully vaccinated by mid May according to Donnelly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement