Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

One other thing mentioned during the HSE press conference, that separate from the clinics being set up for GPs that are coming together, there will be roughly 40 vaccination centers for the general rollout into the community, plans being finalised & to go to the minister.

Donnelly did mention in the Dail today that he would have more information next week on the bringing forward of groups once HCW were completed.

Parallel rollout looks like it'll kick off very soon I think working down through the priority groupings while GPs are taking care of the over 70 rollout.

Which vaccines are they given the other priority groups?

Stark wrote: »
    Look at this ****

https://twitter.com/astaines/status/1359781268020490241?s=19

If this is true, I might be looking at getting a 6 month short term rental somewhere that's not Ireland.

This thing about previously close contacts testing positive 10% of the time and now being 20% being indicative of increased transmission doesn't add up for me. Previously close contacts were at work, social life, sports clubs etc etc etc, now they are mostly in the home. Of course contacts who live with someone infected are more likely to test positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Russman

funnydoggy wrote: »

Micky32, help - how did you get out of this funk a while back? Anyone?

Honestly, try to avoid or not take too seriously the back and forth on the other COVID threads, its mostly people venting irrationally, this vaccine thread is generally IMO the most informative and realistic, with some excellent posters and information.

Despite what some commentators will have you believe, no government is doing what its doing with the intention to harm its citizens. Vaccines are here and will be arriving in ever increasing numbers. We're in the top few in Europe for dishing them out and, despite my reservations about HSE bureaucracy ballsing the whole thing up, I think we'll do a good job of having a huge chunk of people done by mid summer. This year isn't a total write off yet. Personally I'm breaking it down mentally into little milestones, like I hope my dad gets his first jab in another 4 weeks or so (75+), probably my mother (68+) getting the AZ one shortly after, then their second jabs in April etc etc. Once they're done I won't be so worried. Then its into summer, with J&J and hopefully others.

We're all feeling it, nobody is happy or liking the situation. I had a real downer this morning when I saw the headline about L5 until 12th April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Donnelly on the Hard Shoulder is still calling them mNRA vaccines, that makes me irrationally angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Donnelly on the Hard Shoulder is still calling them mNRA vaccines, that makes me irrationally angry.
    Just let it go or if you can't TEXT the programme IN CAPS!

• Advertisement

Unless they are actually inoculations against right wing gun nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I couldn’t care less what he calls them as long as i get one soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Reddit discussions are annoying me, filling me with despair.

"No easing of restrictions until x date"

"If the young don't get vaccinated, it'll mutate into other, perhaps more dangerous variants"

etc. blah blah. Doesn't help that the most pessimistic outlook is the most upvoted.

Micky32, help - how did you get out of this funk a while back? Anyone?

I know. It’s hard at times! Wine does help though :p

I posted this on the “when will it end thread”, i was having a positive moment;

“ Been having a long hard think and i think seriously we need to put the brakes on with all the hysteria on this thread. I don’t blame anyone because the media are responsible for a lot of it. I’m going to play the devil’s advocate here.

We get headlines like “ prolonged virus suppression “ “ lockdown indefinately “. But when you look past the headlines the plan is to extent the lockdown for a couple of months not forever. Yes i know a couple more months is a pain in the bollix but in the grand scheme of things is it really that long? Certainly not forever.

The plan is to keep the numbers as low as possible while we get on with the vaccine program. If the vaccine works ( i’m confident it will) by late summer/ autumn things will be so much different. To me all that’s really changed is they are getting a bit stricter just untill we all get jabbed. One of the reasons is to stop people who have been vaccinated getting complacent until we all get it. Especially when the new variant is a little more transmissable.

As for travel. Baby steps. I can see that later on in the year when the UK and ourselves are vaccinated we might have a bubble with the UK where we could travel back and forth unhindered which would be great because i could get back to my Sunday drive in the Snowdonia mountains again!”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

So has there been anymore information given out on the issue with the EMA and sputnik vaccine situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

This thing about previously close contacts testing positive 10% of the time and now being 20% being indicative of increased transmission doesn't add up for me. Previously close contacts were at work, social life, sports clubs etc etc etc, now they are mostly in the home. Of course contacts who live with someone infected are more likely to test positive.

+1

Also seasonality isn't being factored in. The weather has been positively hostile since Christmas forcing people in and windows closed.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭brickster69

With Ireland only vaccinating older people with MRNA vaccines what is the situation with people who have allergies ? Everyone i know who have had the jab in the UK are being refused those if they have any allergies.

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Deenie78

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I know. It’s hard at times! Wine does help though :p

I posted this on the “when will it end thread”, i was having a positive moment;

“ Been having a long hard think and i think seriously we need to put the brakes on with all the hysteria on this thread. I don’t blame anyone because the media are responsible for a lot of it. I’m going to play the devil’s advocate here.

We get headlines like “ prolonged virus suppression “ “ lockdown indefinately “. But when you look past the headlines the plan is to extent the lockdown for a couple of months not forever. Yes i know a couple more months is a pain in the bollix but in the grand scheme of things is it really that long? Certainly not forever.

The plan is to keep the numbers as low as possible while we get on with the vaccine program. If the vaccine works ( i’m confident it will) by late summer/ autumn things will be so much different. To me all that’s really changed is they are getting a bit stricter just untill we all get jabbed. One of the reasons is to stop people who have been vaccinated getting complacent until we all get it. Especially when the new variant is a little more transmissable.

As for travel. Baby steps. I can see that later on in the year when the UK and ourselves are vaccinated we might have a bubble with the UK where we could travel back and forth unhindered which would be great because i could get back to my Sunday drive in the Snowdonia mountains again!”

I won't lie, I had a wobble when I heard Micky 32 having a wobble a while back - usually a good voice of reason and positivity! Glad to hear you back on track, and all the above makes really good sense to me. Take each day as it comes and we'll get there eventually - this will end.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

With Ireland only vaccinating older people with MRNA vaccines what is the situation with people who have allergies ? Everyone i know who have had the jab in the UK are being refused those if they have any allergies.

AZ is still an option for older people, just not the recommendation.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭brickster69

Stark wrote: »
    AZ is still an option for older people, just not the recommendation.

No i get that but are they being asked about allergies ?

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

When should we expect to be seeing vaccinations impact mortality and hospitalisations in the UK?
    Shouldn't we have something by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

The new study indicates that the current assumption that recovered patients have around 82% immunity is valid for at least 10 months, and regardless of antibody levels, Edelstein said. Reinfection, while receiving much media attention, is a rare phenomenon, he added.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/landmark-israeli-study-suggests-covid-patients-stay-immune-after-antibodies-fade/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Le Bruise wrote: »
    IE are doing pretty well at administering so far. 90% of vaccines received into the country have been used.

Ok sure but that's not as much as our neighbour.

543072.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭latency89

The new study indicates that the current assumption that recovered patients have around 82% immunity is valid for at least 10 months, and regardless of antibody levels, Edelstein said. Reinfection, while receiving much media attention, is a rare phenomenon, he added.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/landmark-israeli-study-suggests-covid-patients-stay-immune-after-antibodies-fade/

82% against e484k variants?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Oh look good news! This might get the twats to fûck off!!

https://twitter.com/coronavirusgoo1/status/1359930505957945344?s=21

Ok I understand reinfection is rare. The clinical trial from Novovax showed that previous infection doesn't protect against the new strain.

In fact it was just as likely to occur in previously infected people as it was those with no previous infection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Ok I understand reinfection is rare. The clinical trial from Novovax showed that previous infection doesn't protect against the new strain.

In fact it was just as likely to occur in previously infected people as it was those with no previous infection.

I don't know if you know anything about statistics, because you're backing up the terrible South African study with an even worse Novavax study. Look at the confidence interval.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Ok sure but that's not as much as our neighbour.

543072.png

It's all about supply. The nations with similar numbers to us are also in the EU, the UK isn't. They have the largest deaths per population in the world I think also?

I don't know if you know anything about statistics, because you're backing up the terrible South African study with an even worse Novavax study. Look at the confidence interval.

Oh hi ACE,
    How's it going?
    Why is terrible? Do you not like South Africa? This is comparing new strain reinfection. Different kettle of fish I'm afraid.

26 reinfections out of 674 people in the placebo arm of a clinical trial is hardly rare buddy. Similar confidence intervals for the attack rate.

Oh hi ACE,
    How's it going?
    Why is terrible? Do you not like South Africa?

26 reinfections out of 674 people in the placebo arm of a clinical trial is hardly rare buddy. Similar confidence intervals for the attack rate.
    That's a no so you don't know anything about confidence intervals, cheers for answering.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

A pretty comprehensive vaccine dashboard here from Belgium. Would be nice to have something similar for Ireland.

https://covid-vaccinatie.be/en

I think this is all we have for now: https://covid-19.geohive.ie/pages/vaccinations

That's a no so you don't know anything about confidence intervals, cheers for answering.

No worries. Good to know ACE knows more than the nation of South Africa. Thanks for keeping us safe. These scientists and countries haven't a clue!

How did a country like that produce someone like Elon Musk?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Turtwig wrote: »
    When should we expect to be seeing vaccinations impact mortality and hospitalisations in the UK?
    Shouldn't we have something by now.

Think it is starting to show up in the figure now.

Anti body prevalence in over 70s is rocketing.

NPHET believe we're starting to see an effect in hospitals from HCW vaccination

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Cork2021

NPHET believe we're starting to see an effect in hospitals from HCW vaccination

Don’t say positive things like that!!!

• Advertisement

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Don’t say positive things like that!!!
    Must turn on the South African news

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement