Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I could see it being Max, he does have two years still on his red Bull contract - although I think I read that he has a get out clause

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭This is it

Max will just replace Hamilton as the villain :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

This is it wrote: »
    Max will just replace Hamilton as the villain :pac:

Max could actually be a proper villain though

He's the sort who could sh1t talk while on top and boast about nobody being on his level, none of this faux oh we just try our best and I'm #blessed from Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 20,019 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Max could actually be a proper villain though

He's the sort who could sh1t talk while on top and boast about nobody being on his level, none of this faux oh we just try our best and I'm #blessed from Lewis

Totally agree with this. Hamilton wants everyone to love him. Max doesn’t give a shyte about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The thoughts of Hamilton being around for only one more year are really nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

The thoughts of Hamilton being around for only one more year are really nice.

Personally, I'd rather he stayed for longer, but with a competitive team mate.

Personally, I'd rather he stayed for longer, but with a competitive team mate.

I suppose if I am to wish for anything it is for a competitive F1 season. We can only dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jv2000

OSI wrote: »
    Hamilton and Bottas with contracts till the end of 2021, McLaren getting Mercedes engines again, INEOS taking a shareholding in the Brackley team, Toto stepping back from running the team. Must surely all be strong indicators Mercedes are seriously looking at pulling back from being a manufacturer team in F1?

Agree, there are 2 ominous signs here. The first being that Mercedes will exit and that the owners replacing them will have the option to choose their own driver lineup without being crippled with Hamilton's wages.

The other sign... and I do not even want to think about this.... Hamilton is all set to join another team in 2022 that will get the best handle on the new Regs and storm to a 4-in-a-row before retiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,693 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

jv2000 wrote: »
    Agree, there are 2 ominous signs here. The first being that Mercedes will exit and that the owners replacing them will have the option to choose their own driver lineup without being crippled with Hamilton's wages.

The other sign... and I do not even want to think about this.... Hamilton is all set to join another team in 2022 that will get the best handle on the new Regs and storm to a 4-in-a-row before retiring.

That would have to either be Ferrari, McLaren or Alpine then with Alpine been the least likely and McLaren the most as they are a team he knows, he started there and they have Mercedes engines.
    I suppose none of us will mo for sure untill we here Mercedes announce they are stepping back. Then it will all become more clear.

AMKC wrote: »
    That would have to either be Ferrari, McLaren or Alpine then with Alpine been the least likely and McLaren the most as they are a team he knows, he started there and they have Mercedes engines.
    I suppose none of us will mo for sure untill we here Mercedes announce they are stepping back. Then it will all become more clear.

Discussed it with a mate in work, we think McLaren could have one of the best driver line ups right now, and if Norris keeps improving the way he is they might not need a big name, he might become one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

barryribs wrote: »
    They had the 98 Williams parked outside one of the Select garages in Tralee at some stage in early 99. It was really odd, there was nothing announced, it was just up on a plinth parked up at the corner of the garage with a guy looking after it. There was no engine in it apparently. The only thing I can think is that it was a Winfield promo

Think it was a Winfield promo. It travelled around shopping centres too

1996 Williams was in the local Renault dealership here the following year. Got to sit in it and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Just one week to go to the first car launch of the season* which will be McLaren this day next week.

*Unless someone other team(s) launches earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

1996 Williams was in the local Renault dealership here the following year. Got to sit in it and all.

Proper jealous :eek:

Ms

I see Kevin Magnessim is going to be racing for Peugeot in the WEC. Well done to him. Might have been a good place for Grosjean to go to instead Indy.

The Missed Apex lads were talking about tyre changes for this year. In response to feedback, they're making more durable tyres for this season. There's a chance that drivers will be able to push for longer on the tyres. There's also a chance that they will all just mind the tyres and do one stop races. The ideal scenario would be that the tyres can be pushed to create enough speed difference to make up for the 20-30 seconds lost for an additional pitstop.

Also, in Haas news: They are building the car i the UK for the first time and the engine is being built by Ferrari Italy. Travel restrictions mean the first time the will fire up the engine will be at testing. It might all go to plan but it's not a great scenario for them.

the first time the will fire up the engine will be at testing. It might all go to plan but it's not a great scenario for them.

Things like this is why I wish Mick Schumacher got the Alfa seat and Giovinazzi got the boot.

Haas are going absolutely nowhere, I would be surprised to see either of the drivers score a point this season bar a race where only 12 or 13 finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,581 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Mick racing alongside Kimi at alfa would be great.
    The son racing alongside the guy who was chosen to replace his father at ferrari

The only saving grace for him at Haas is that if Mazepin is a PR crapshow, it might take some of the attention off Mick's poor performances, should there be any

I don't see a way Mick comes out of this season with his reputation enhanced, we might hear stuff about how he struggles in season one and gets going in season two as he did in F2 & F3 but he's not going to be 1991 Schumacher on entry

Proper jealous :eek:
    8 year old me loved it. :P
    The Missed Apex lads were talking about tyre changes for this year. In response to feedback, they're making more durable tyres for this season. There's a chance that drivers will be able to push for longer on the tyres. There's also a chance that they will all just mind the tyres and do one stop races. The ideal scenario would be that the tyres can be pushed to create enough speed difference to make up for the 20-30 seconds lost for an additional pitstop.

Unless they're completely changing the construction of the tyres it will have little affect tbh. They can make them slightly more durable but that'll just mean drivers going at e.g. 96.5% pace instead of 96%.
    I'll be happy to be wrong but I don't think a slight change of compound or slightly thicker tread is what's going to make the difference.

• Advertisement
    Ms

This is cool. Amazing to think in these times of CAD and computer the Adrian Newey still using a drawing board,

https://www.facebook.com/568665409957112/posts/2020349951455310/?sfnsn=mo&d=n&vh=e

Also I see there is rumours of Compass racing getting into Formula 1 next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Harika wrote: »

Is that legit or is it simply Storey pulling an old photo of himself and Bernie and making up a story to go with it? Nothing would be beyond him in terms of scamming.
    If Bernie is involved, could he have been there all along with an underhand play to get back in and cause some trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

AMKC wrote: »
    This is cool. Amazing to think in these times of CAD and computer the Adrian Newey still using a drawing board,

https://www.facebook.com/568665409957112/posts/2020349951455310/?sfnsn=mo&d=n&vh=e

Also I see there is rumours of Compass racing getting into Formula 1 next year.

Newey then needs a team of people to digitise his work.
    How much can you realistically do on paper though related to a modern day f1 car.
    Yes, an initial concept and base drawings but surely then the virtual design tools around aero etc will push the design forward and there is just zero room for reintroducing paper drawings in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Speaking of Bernie, I'm surprised he hasn't tried dipping his toe back into race promoting. I'm sure there'd be a dozen or so despots who'd be happy to showcase their countries in some sort of throwback series with screaming NA engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I wish people would stop posting about that fraudster. He uses twitter to go fishing and see who bites.....and the other guy used to own Rich Energy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

mickdw wrote: »
    Newey then needs a team of people to digitise his work.
    How much can you realistically do on paper though related to a modern day f1 car.
    Yes, an initial concept and base drawings but surely then the virtual design tools around aero etc will push the design forward and there is just zero room for reintroducing paper drawings in that situation.

That's what I was thinking too. You can draw concepts on paper but F1 is measured in 1/1000 of a mm which you don't get with a pencil.

Is that legit or is it simply Storey pulling an old photo of himself and Bernie and making up a story to go with it? Nothing would be beyond him in terms of scamming.
    If Bernie is involved, could he have been there all along with an underhand play to get back in and cause some trouble.

When I see Storey, I default to assuming it’s BS. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Ms

The only team I can see this cowboy been on is Aston Martin. Maybe he made his millions from all the razors he never bought because he is to mean to shave or get his beard cut. Who knows. Or maybe just maybe he is a big gangster and liar like the Kinahans.

• Advertisement

Harika wrote: »

I believe him as far as I can throw him.

A complete charlatan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement