Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Looking at the photo of Storey and Bernie, he is sporting the old logo on his cap so that would suggest its an old image that he has just recycled to suit his latest fantasy or else he is taking the piss out of the courts that found he was not entitled to use the image.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,019 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

mickdw wrote: »
    Looking at the photo of Storey and Bernie, he is sporting the old logo on his cap so that would suggest its an old image that he has just recycled to suit his latest fantasy or else he is taking the piss out of the courts that found he was not entitled to use the image.

That’s a great spot. I looked at the picture and then realised they’re not social distancing so it has to be an old photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Harika wrote: »

That photo is from at least 2019 if not earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Fwox

BBDBB wrote: »
    I could see it being Max, he does have two years still on his red Bull contract - although I think I read that he has a get out clause

Given the reliability issues last season, 5 DNF's is shocking! he could well decide to walk into the Merc seat for 2022 given he can exit RB early due to the loss of Honda at the end of 2021, and if RB don't succeed in attaining an engine freeze for 2022 I could easily see it happening.

Max and George team mates, I can see it now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,693 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Fwox wrote: »
    Given the reliability issues last season, 5 DNF's is shocking! he could well decide to walk into the Merc seat for 2022 given he can exit RB early due to the loss of Honda at the end of 2021, and if RB don't succeed in attaining an engine freeze for 2022 I could easily see it happening.

Max and George team mates, I can see it now :p

That would be great to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Toto has commented on all the rumours around Hamiltons new contract saying they were false, no team mate clause or revenue sharing. He was also very open about Daimler considering their future in F1 past 2021. This has been coming a long time, when McLaren signed up for their enignes the writing had been on the wall. Toto and Ineos may end up buying out Daimler and Mercedes go back to supplying engines only.

https://www.pitpass.com/69074/No-teammate-veto-no-TV-money-no-problems-says-Wolff-of-Hamilton-deal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

AMKC wrote: »
    That would be great to see.
    I'd disagree. Max is the only one capable of bringing the fight to Mercedes (Perez may prove me wrong). If I'm right, then if you put Max in a Merc there's even less competition. Merc 1st and 2nd ... and third not within an asses road of them. It would create an even greater 2 tier formula if all else remains similar. We need Max to stay where he is to have some bit of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

recyclebin wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking too. You can draw concepts on paper but F1 is measured in 1/1000 of a mm which you don't get with a pencil.

Gordon Murray uses the analogue version of design too, and he's produced some brilliant cars also

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

duploelabs wrote: »
    Gordon Murray uses the analogue version of design too, and he's produced some brilliant cars also

Murrays time in f1 was more of a case of a few guys in a drawing room. Ive seen at length interviews with him and it would appear thst in his earlier f1 days he was the only designer covering mechanics and aero.
    Even when he arrived at mclaren, things were primitive.
    I get how you could draw something like the mclaren F1 on paper and finalise it and make alterations etc - concorde was designed and build via thousands of paper drawings but my point was that in modern f1 where the design process relies on computer modelling of airflow as much as windtunnel work, modern 3d cad systems are used within the simulations - introducing paper into this process would be impossible.
    Im sure neweys new ideas are drawn on paper and brought into the electronic world but you couldnt have a paper based drawing office in f1 today. They would get left behind development wise.
    I work with house design etc and tbh, even my work would be impossible now on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

Algarve Portugal has been confirmed as third race this year.
    Bahrain-imola-portugal is the plan for now.

• Advertisement

Harika wrote: »
    Algarve Portugal has been confirmed as third race this year.
    Bahrain-imola-portugal is the plan for now.

Ah right. I thought Portugal was off the cards. But I suppose we're talking about April so hopefully they will have sorted things out by then.

Is there a double race in Bahrain or just the single, as originally planned?

Single one with still 23 races in the pipeline

• Registered Users Posts: 12,887 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Do we know which layout they are using in Bahrain?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

flazio wrote: »
    Do we know which layout they are using in Bahrain?

The usual one AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Would be nice if the outie layout at Bahrain would be used again this year as the race with the outie layout there last year was epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,887 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Would be nice if the outie layout at Bahrain would be used again this year as the race with the outie layout there last year was epic.

True, but that was mainly down to Mercedes-Benz having an off weekend rather than anything special about the track. I'd say had Hamilton been there we'd have been glad to see the back of it and let us never speak of it again.

Thought the racing on the outer track was decent. Some good moves in the twisty bits that didn't look on as well. Nice to see it rather just at the end (hopefully) of a long straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The Sprint race concept seems to favour whoever is fastest? So Merc qualify first, win the sprint race and qualify on pole for Sunday, garnering more points then they would a have on an ordinary weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Inquitus wrote: »
    The Sprint race concept seems to favour whoever is fastest? So Merc qualify first, win the sprint race and qualify on pole for Sunday, garnering more points then they would a have on an ordinary weekend.

sprint races would have a diferent running order be that reverse grid or random etc. so the fasters cars will have to overtake to get to the lead.
    nothing wrong with the fastest car winning , thats what should happen most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

sprint races would have a diferent running order be that reverse grid or random etc. so the fasters cars will have to overtake to get to the lead.
    nothing wrong with the fastest car winning , thats what should happen most of the time.

No, what they are voting on is Friday qualifying for a Sat sprint race that determines the Sunday grid order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

No, what they are voting on is Friday qualifying for a Sat sprint race that determines the Sunday grid order.

oh ok. i dont like that. thats pointless.

Isn’t it supposed to favour whoever is fastest and shouldn’t the fastest score the most points?

It’s a gimmick to make qualifying a two stage process (quali sets the grid for the sprint race and the sprint race sets the grid for the actual race). And points are awarded for the actual race.

It would mean there’s really two starts. And that starts are often amongst the best bits of a race( and it would probably suit Stroll who tends to gain places off the start).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭quokula

Isn’t it supposed to favour whoever is fastest and shouldn’t the fastest score the most points?

It’s a gimmick to make qualifying a two stage process (quali sets the grid for the sprint race and the sprint race sets the grid for the actual race). And points are awarded for the actual race.

It would mean there’s really two starts. And that starts are often amongst the best bits of a race( and it would probably suit Stroll who tends to gain places off the start).

No the plan is that qualifying on Friday decides the sprint race grid, like normal Saturday qualifying for a Sunday race. Then the sprint race gives points, in addition to setting the Sunday grid. So as the fastest team you get two wins for the price of one. Well it's 1.5 wins as the sprint race is half points, but you get the jist.

While other teams might pull off the odd win here and there due to perfect strategy, taking advantage of the safety car, on track overtakes or Mercedes' mistakes, those races will make less headway overall in the championship compared to the double-victories Mercedes will get. The fact that the shorter sprint race will have zero opportunity for strategy variance will only compound this further.

Original proposals for reverse grid sprint races and other more interesting formats all got vetoed by Mercedes. Rules don't get passed in the current era of F1 if there's a chance they can hurt Merc's dominance.

quokula wrote: »
    No the plan is that qualifying on Friday decides the sprint race grid, like normal Saturday qualifying for a Sunday race. Then the sprint race gives points, in addition to setting the Sunday grid. So as the fastest team you get two wins for the price of one. Well it's 1.5 wins as the sprint race is half points, but you get the jist.

While other teams might pull off the odd win here and there due to perfect strategy, taking advantage of the safety car, on track overtakes or Mercedes' mistakes, those races will make less headway overall in the championship compared to the double-victories Mercedes will get. The fact that the shorter sprint race will have zero opportunity for strategy variance will only compound this further.

Original proposals for reverse grid sprint races and other more interesting formats all got vetoed by Mercedes. Rules don't get passed in the current era of F1 if there's a chance they can hurt Merc's dominance.

Ah I didn’t know that. Cheers.

No chance f1 will make a change like that and fans will hate it. I really think they just make these proposals so everyone rejects is and stops asking for changes for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

While I love the idea of sprint races instead of the existing three part quali. It favours the drivers race craft rather than just having the fastest car, there's one major issue that's unique to F1 over most of the other divisions is the fragility and cost of the parts of the cars.

Sprint races promotes close races which leads to the chance of damage to the cars, as opposed to hot lapping. Take out a front wing and that's about €300k to replace.
    In the age where costs are being tried to be kept down, it doesn't reinforce that idea if you've a greater chance of damaging your car, and what are the FIA offering to each teams to offset that cost of damage to their cars in those sprint races?

€50k

It just doesn't make sense

Looks like Red Bull have achieved getting the engine freeze implemented with all the other teams in agreement. Be interesting to see if they can continue to develop the Honda PU further when Honda do pull out at the end of the season.

Looks like Red Bull have achieved getting the engine freeze implemented with all the other teams in agreement. Be interesting to see if they can continue to develop the Honda PU further when Honda do pull out at the end of the season.

If that's true, then i imagine cost cutting was a big factor.

When wold the freeze happen? The end of this year or start of next year or what? Puts a lot of pressure on Ferrari to get the new engine right, pretty much first time. And i wouldn't bet the house on Ferrari getting things fight first time.

If that's true, then i imagine cost tutting was a big factor.

When wold the freeze happen? The ned of this year or start f next year or what? Puts a lot of pressure on Ferrari to get the new engine right, pretty much first time. And i wouldn't bet the house on Ferrari getting things fight first time.
    Saves all PU manufacturers a huge amount for sure, easy decisions. Comes into effect for the start of 2022 season. I’ve heard Ferrari are taking a similar approach to Merc in their power unit design at the moment, be nice as a RB fan to have another team to fight other than Mercedes.

Saves all PU manufacturers a huge amount for sure, easy decisions. Comes into effect for the start of 2022 season. I’ve heard Ferrari are taking a similar approach to Merc in their power unit design at the moment, be nice as a RB fan to have another team to fight other than Mercedes.

That gives Ferrari a year to get the engine working. That's much more realistic.

• Advertisement

Alonso in cycling accident

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlpineF1Team/status/1359954932800061441

Not much information, only that he is concious

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement