Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

AMKC wrote: »
    So from Monday then. How are McLaren unveiling there car?
    I hope it will be on You-Tube or on there own site.
    It will be launched at the McLaren Technology Centre at 7PM on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Good video here by the Race on improvements by team this year

• Registered Users Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So from Monday then. How are McLaren unveiling there car?
    I hope it will be on You-Tube or on there own site.

Its live on sky sports f1.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

https://www.racefans.net/2021/02/12/mclaren-racing-reports-reduced-71-million-loss-in-2019/

Mclaren is losing serious money and I doubt anyone made money last year or this year. They’re working on reduced payments from the FIA. Getting the Bahrain money is good, but I really hope they start turning a profit soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

https://www.racefans.net/2021/02/12/mclaren-racing-reports-reduced-71-million-loss-in-2019/

Mclaren is losing serious money and I doubt anyone made money last year or this year. They’re working on reduced payments from the FIA. Getting the Bahrain money is good, but I really hope they start turning a profit soon.

Their road car division is as mad as a box of frogs financially speaking too.

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »
    Their road car division is as mad as a box of frogs financially speaking too.

Ron Denis might have pocketed his 300 million or so at the right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Rich Energy have something scheduled for today at 14:00 to announce their latest victim.

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Rich Energy have something scheduled for today at 14:00 to announce their latest victim.

I bet it’s absolutely nothing of note. It’s very creative marketing though and absolutely free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Yawn! :D. That guy gets far too much airtime. Still bloody chancing his arm!!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

I bet it’s absolutely nothing of note. It’s very creative marketing though and absolutely free.

Haas must have got a good chunk of funds
    at the beginning so there is someones money being spent.

• Advertisement

Yawn! :D. That guy gets far too much airtime. Still bloody chancing his arm!!

A gran turismo you tuber called SuperGT recently raced for 27 hours in aid of a Filipino charity, during which he drank a can of rich energy, it was the first time I'd ever seen one in the wild

• Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I likes to dip into Gran Turismo Sport once in a while.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I likes to dip into Gran Turismo Sport once in a while.

Dm if you fancy a race, it's been my lockdown obsession

Delayed for 1 hr now it seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Wouldn’t surprise me if they become Williams title sponsor for the upcoming season

• Registered Users Posts: 15,606 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Wouldn’t surprise me if they become Williams title sponsor for the upcoming season

I would say he is trying to get on the Aston Martin car myself. He is a bulls,itter do and we all know he is just in it for the free advertising.

I hope none of the F1 teams were stupid enough to fall for him again after Haas did.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I would say he is trying to get on the Aston Martin car myself. He is a bulls,itter do and we all know he is just in it for the free advertising.

I hope none of the F1 teams were stupid enough to fall for him again after Haas did.

Absolute bull****ter but he actually now has an internationally recognised brand. For all the wrong reasons but if and it is a very big if, they got it together with funding and actually start distributing the drink, he might be onto a winner.

Storey takes about 4 minutes to say how he was shafted in his bid to buy Force India, instead sponsored Haas and because Haas were crap on and off track, so he had to sack Haas (he actually says he sacked them). Then says he sponsors loads of other great teams.

The big announcement is that a friend of Rich Energy is going to buy a majority stake in an team and Rich Energy will be the title sponsor in 2022. He throws in, at these end, that he looked into buying a team for 2022, but will be title sponsor instead.

I watched it so you don’t have to give him the clicks.

Storey takes about 4 minutes to say how he was shafted in his bid to buy Force India, instead sponsored Haas and because Haas were crap on and off track, so he had to sack Haas (he actually says he sacked them). Then says he sponsors loads of other great teams.

The big announcement is that a friend of Rich Energy is going to buy a majority stake in an team and Rich Energy will be the title sponsor in 2022. He throws in, at these end, that he looked into buying a team for 2022, but will be title sponsor instead.

I watched it so you don’t have to give him the clicks.
    So the big anouncement was that he has nothing. A friend buying a team at some time in the future.
    I will be at the first race..... big deal. His branding wont be.

Ms

Some nice caps on MandM direct,

https://www.mandmdirect.ie/01/details/EA279/New-Era-Renault-F1-Hulkenberg-Essential-9fifty-Cap-Yellow-Black

Just got myself two of them beauty's.

There is an orange one there that could nearly be a McLaren cap and a red one for Ferrari fans and all on deal at the moment.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Red bull power train confirmation https://www.redbull.com/int-en/redbullracing/red-bull-take-on-honda-f1-pu

From 2022 to 2025

Ms

Harika wrote: »
    Red bull power train confirmation https://www.redbull.com/int-en/redbullracing/red-bull-take-on-honda-f1-pu

From 2022 to 2025

So Red Bull will now have it's own Power Unit devision and they are only in the sport what 16 to 17 years.
    McLaren do not have that and they have been in the 50 years.
    You would have to wonder how the hell have McLaren never decided to fund and start up there own power unit devision.

I suppose they never really had to as there was always lots of suppliers and engine companies willing to supply them but if it did go wrong for them say over the next couple of years with Mercedes and by the way I hope it's a success for them but if it was not then the question has to be asked. What would they do?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Red bull was discussing building it's own engine for years but same as McLaren far too expensive. Honda spent 100 million a year while McLaren paid 30 million. Makes financially no sense. Red bull now takes over it as they don't want to go back to Renault as neither Mercedes or Ferrari are willing to jump in. And all the historical development from Honda comes with it for free.
    Big question will be what happens 2025, at least there will be four manufacturers there. FIA will either want to focus on keeping the big guns or making engine development achievable again.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭racersedge

So Red Bull will now have it's own Power Unit devision and they are only in the sport what 16 to 17 years.
    McLaren do not have that and they have been in the 50 years.
    You would have to wonder how the hell have McLaren never decided to fund and start up there own power unit devision.

Not quite as cut and dry with that. Sure, Red Bull chased this option (mainly because of the lack of other options and undoubtedly a desire not to go cap in hand back to Renault) and have spoken at times about wanting to go this direction. But the engine feeder was critical to this. Even they spoke out that it was going to be financially unviable to support the engine development without the freeze.

Bigger question will be what will they do at the end of the freeze period. Will they have learned enough to continue with the concept of another engine and have enough of a foundation to limit the costs of developing their own against the other manufacturers. Be also interesting to see what they choose to brand the engine as...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

How much of this engine will Red Bull actually build though? My guess is that most parts will still be manufactured by Honda or Hondas suppliers.

racersedge wrote: »
    Not quite as cut and dry with that. Sure, Red Bull chased this option (mainly because of the lack of other options and undoubtedly a desire not to go cap in hand back to Renault) and have spoken at times about wanting to go this direction. But the engine feeder was critical to this. Even they spoke out that it was going to be financially unviable to support the engine development without the freeze.

Bigger question will be what will they do at the end of the freeze period. Will they have learned enough to continue with the concept of another engine and have enough of a foundation to limit the costs of developing their own against the other manufacturers. Be also interesting to see what they choose to brand the engine as...

Most customer teams just have a dedicated team of engine supplier engineers who are kind of seconded to them. So AM has a set of Mercedes engineers embedded in the team, paid by Mercedes and they control the engine. Since 2014, Red bull always had issues with the Renault engine so instead of having the Renault lads run the engine, they hired engine people to work with them. They did some kind of deal with Ilmor engines. So Red Bull has had more engine people and knowledge in their F1 team than any non-manufacturer. That's why makes it possible to run their own Honda engine for the next few years. Any other team would have had a lot more work to do even consider running their own engine.

So it's possible that they could build their own engine in the future, and particularly if they strip out some of the more complicated parts. They are the best placed of any non-manufacturer team to make their own engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

racersedge wrote: »

Its the same engineers in the same building. Not much is changing except the name over the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,209 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Most customer teams just have a dedicated team of engine supplier engineers who are kind of seconded to them. So AM has a set of Mercedes engineers embedded in the team, paid by Mercedes and they control the engine. Since 2014, Red bull always had issues with the Renault engine so instead of having the Renault lads run the engine, they hired engine people to work with them. They did some kind of deal with Ilmor engines. So Red Bull has had more engine people and knowledge in their F1 team than any non-manufacturer. That's why makes it possible to run their own Honda engine for the next few years. Any other team would have had a lot more work to do even consider running their own engine.

So it's possible that they could build their own engine in the future, and particularly if they strip out some of the more complicated parts. They are the best placed of any non-manufacturer team to make their own engines.

I remember in 2019 at a race there was at least one guy in Ferrari overalls in Alfa's garage when one of their drivers had an engine issue in a FP1 session.

Ms

Harika wrote: »
    Red bull was discussing building it's own engine for years but same as McLaren far too expensive. Honda spent 100 million a year while McLaren paid 30 million. Makes financially no sense. Red bull now takes over it as they don't want to go back to Renault as neither Mercedes or Ferrari are willing to jump in. And all the historical development from Honda comes with it for free.
    Big question will be what happens 2025, at least there will be four manufacturers there. FIA will either want to focus on keeping the big guns or making engine development achievable again.

Who are the four manufacturers? I can think of 3 Renault, Mercedes and Ferrari. I have seen rumours that Porsche might join F1 but who knows how true that is. Would love to see Toyota come back but it will probably never happen.
    Peugeot maybe now that they getting into Le Mans again is it?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement